Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Playing with 8P  (Read 1046 times)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +667
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with 8P
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 08:10:06 am »
+1

To my mind it assumes party-game-like traits above a player number of 6. Hilarious nonwithstanding, but tactic plays less of a role.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Holger

• Tactician
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 08:28:03 am »
+1

Another good one with simultaneous decisions is RoboRally. Newer editions added a timer and rules to make it a chaotic party game. But with the original rules, and a timer only if needed (just when some players are taking too long), it's a surprisingly tactical game where I have seen the good players consistently win. Of course you have to build a course that isn't too short, so that the luck will even out, so it could take a while to play.

I'd like to love this game, but my experience is that Robo Rally with many players has a serious runaway-leader problem - a player who has a significant lead doesn't have to worry at all about what the other robots do, while the middle of the pack keeps sabotaging each other's plans, making it harder to catch up to the leader even with better play. The "robots have lasers" rule (which is only a variant in the German version 😡) weakens the leader advantage because they tend to be hit more often, but not quite enough.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1168
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 12:25:56 pm »

Tailwind for the leader is a serious problem in Robo Rally at any player count, and makes the game way too luck-dependent.

I could rant at considerable length about Richard bloody Garfield and his bloody game designs with superficially nifty features but stupid, stupid problems that make them almost unplayable...

Jeebus

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +980
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 01:08:00 pm »

Definitely you need to play with Robots have lasers, I never heard about anything else.

It's important to lay out a good course, so that the leader has to criss-cross into the others. Then it's about playing your cards well, not just about having nobody pushing you. Also, among good players there tends to not be one player who gets a significant lead (although it certainly can happen).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:09:51 pm by Jeebus »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5192
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 02:05:47 pm »

As somebody who ordered the newer english version of Robo Rally quite recently, is that laser variant playable with it?

Holger

• Tactician
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 12:49:02 pm »
+2

As somebody who ordered the newer english version of Robo Rally quite recently, is that laser variant playable with it?

I don't know that version, but I expect it's playable with any version since it doesn't require any extra material. Robots just shoot a laser and deal a damage token to the next robot in their "line of view" just like the lasers printed on the board do.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5192
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 02:08:04 pm »

I don't know that version, but I expect it's playable with any version since it doesn't require any extra material. Robots just shoot a laser and deal a damage token to the next robot in their "line of view" just like the lasers printed on the board do.
Ah, sounds nice! Cool, thank you.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.