Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hamlets gone on Turn 3.  (Read 1816 times)

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Hamlets gone on Turn 3.
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:05:41 pm »
+2

Didn't save the log, but the game featured Gardens, Talisman, Thief and Hamlet as relevant cards.  We both open Hamlet/Talisman, then both draw both Turn 3 to each buy 2 Hamlets, gaining 2 each off of Talisman, thus emptying the pile as fast as I imagine it to be possible.  An interesting question is whether there are any other ways to do it, because this method looks to be restricted to something that costs $2 that can give an extra buy.

We ended up "sharing victory" even though I ended up winning the Gardens split 5/3, primarily since he bought a second Talisman before going for Gardens.   I probably erred in trying to end the game as soon as possible, but he managed to get a Thief buy duplicated with Talisman and already had gotten multiple Silvers duplicated so I felt he had a better late game even though I held the Gardens advantage.  One of the last couple turns, with 2 Estates left, I draw (Hamlet, Hamlet, Hamlet, Copper, Copper), then draw a Copper off the first Hamlet.  At this point I can either discard a Copper for an extra Copper buy or hold on to all 3 Copper and hope to draw one more coin in my next two cards so that I can buy both Estates.  I decide for the latter and fail to do so, and am rather unhappy to see that at the end of the game I have 39 cards in my deck.  It seemed like an incredible long-shot to go for the extra cards to prop up Gardens versus ending the game before my opponent could get more Duchies, but I suppose I was actually going to get 2 more cards if I went for the extra buy route (Estate and 3 Coppers vs. 2 Estates) and so with 5 Gardens would be getting the equivalent of 1 point.  I suppose I could have been counting cards from the beginning, but that's work.
Stop reading my signature.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Re: Hamlets gone on Turn 3.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:50:28 pm »

Moved my post to the puzzle thread.

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:35:18 am »

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:10:54 am »

i suppose i should throw my views in from the other end...

- it was a little strange seeing hamlets gone by turn 3. pretty sure that is the first time i have seen a pile emptied that fast. 
- during the game i thought you greened way too early, but now i am not as sure. i will say that it forced me to reconsider my play.  i play gardens on almost every board i see them, and i tend to thrive on forcing other people to respond to my play.  i did not like being on the back foot most of the game. 
- i actually passed on gardens twice, once for talisman and once for thief.  i think the second talisman was a good idea, but i am not as sure about the thief.  i didn't get enough use out of it, and a 4th garden might have been better.  still, the stolen copper held you under 40 cards so it sort of worked?
- one more turn puts you over 40, yes, but it also gives me a very good shot at 50 too. that gives you an edge if i were to buy the last estate, but you also knew that i had enough economy to be able to pick up a duchy fairly reliably. even if you knew exactly how many cards you had i think you probably made the right call there. 
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:06:40 pm »

That Thief.. assuming all 8 gardens are bought by someone, each play of Thief (that hits) is worth 4/5ths of a VP on average. You'd have to play it like 6 times to be worth a gardens.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:56:32 pm »

That Thief.. assuming all 8 gardens are bought by someone, each play of Thief (that hits) is worth 4/5ths of a VP on average. You'd have to play it like 6 times to be worth a gardens.

You also have that other slight advantage.. thiefs originally intended use.  :P Coppers and silvers are good things in a gardens game (not saying it was the right call in this game)

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:04:51 am »

i do not think i made the right call with the thieves at all.  i wanted them earlier, and i think i must have still had them on the mind.  as i mentioned in my post, his garden buy threw me off my game a bit.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 20 queries.