Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What's the best card?  (Read 10297 times)

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
What's the best card?
« on: December 08, 2018, 10:19:21 am »

Is there any kingdom card that would help any strategy? Or would that be overpowered?

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best card?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 11:05:04 am »
+6

Welcome to the forums :)

There has been tons of discussion what the best card is and why. Most notably via Qvist ranking list. (http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/List_of_Cards_by_Qvist_Rankings)

The list separate the card based on their cost, but as a general rule you can check the five and 6+-cost cards for the most powerful one. Chapel and Ambassador can probably be in the discussion as well. However there is no card that is good in every strategy. Not even the sublime trashers since they really counter gardens-strategies and others that don't care if their decks getting huge. Likewise with a general powerhouse as King's Court (KC)- if you want many Treasures in your deck you might want to skip it altogether (Happens perhaps 10-7% of the games it's in). So no, there is no card that is helpful in every strategy, no card is unbeatable.

But probably the event Donate comes closest to be the most powerful thing in Dominion. King's Court for the most powerful Kingdom card.     
S

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 11:28:30 am »
+2

There is no kingdom card that helps every possible strategy, but there are kingdom cards that help certain strategies so much that their presence in the kingdom almost automatically dictates that you have to play that strategy if possible (e.g. Bridge Troll, Goons, King's Court) and kingdom cards that are extremely useful in a wide variety of strategies (e.g. Masquerade).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 04:10:47 pm »

There is no kingdom card that helps every possible strategy, but there are kingdom cards that help certain strategies so much that their presence in the kingdom almost automatically dictates that you have to play that strategy if possible (e.g. Bridge Troll, Goons, King's Court) and kingdom cards that are extremely useful in a wide variety of strategies (e.g. Masquerade).

Wait Bridge Troll is great now? Do you mean just Bridge?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 04:13:08 pm »

Bridge Troll is better than Bridge, but sure, Bridge could be on that list too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 06:08:08 pm »

Wait, Bridge Troll is not considered awesomesauce by everyone?
S

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 10:52:51 am »

Is there any kingdom card that would help any strategy? Or would that be overpowered?

Jester
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 10:56:53 am »
+2

Scout. Totally crazy.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 11:39:49 am »
+3

Moat             
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 02:31:40 pm »
+1

Jester

Agree.
S

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 02:55:31 pm »

Jester

Agree.

Jester doesn't help e.g. Hermit/Market Square in any way.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 04:17:17 am »

Jester

Agree.

Indeed Jester is a nuisance in every carefully crafted deck at a time where you have to choose between helping your opponent or, for instance, loosen the connection between your Sauna/Avanto pairs or your Cultists.

Ironmonger is almost a must-buy for me almost regardless of strategy. Exception being possibly action-heavy Scrying Pool decks with no terminals, but even then the action sifting for the next Pool is a big plus.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 08:36:56 am »

The Get Out of Hell Free Card from Secret Six (2008)?

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 02:16:45 pm »
+2

Jester

Agree.

In case of woosh: Check our profile pictures (and my name).
S

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 03:21:36 pm »
+3

Likewise with a general powerhouse as King's Court (KC)- if you want many Treasures in your deck you might want to skip it altogether (Happens perhaps 10-7% of the games it's in).

ISWYDT

But probably the event Donate comes closest to be the most powerful thing in Dominion. King's Court for the most powerful Kingdom card.

I would also hold Donate up as probably the quintessential "must buy" card.  I have never won a game where I skipped it and the opponent didn't.  I have never lost a game where the opponent skipped it and I didn't.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 03:57:07 pm »

I would also hold Donate up as probably the quintessential "must buy" card.  I have never won a game where I skipped it and the opponent didn't.  I have never lost a game where the opponent skipped it and I didn't.

Actually I have done it plenty (as in, more than once). As long as there is a rather weak board and good kingdom trashers Donate loses too much momentum to be worth it imo. However that is indeed rare and I played those games at a time where I was scared to death of Donate and tried to avoid it if ever possible. Would probably play those kingdom differently now when I know it better.
S

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 05:17:20 pm »
+1

Page probably comes the closest; almost all strategies will be helped either by Champion or the treasure gaining from Treasure Hunter/Hero. The major exceptions are very strong two-card combos like Mandarin/Capital or Counting House/Travelling Fair.
I have sigs off.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 01:21:24 pm »

I think that Hireling might actually help every possible strategy. I don't know of any strategies that aren't improved by having a larger handsize.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 01:47:20 pm »

I think that Hireling might actually help every possible strategy. I don't know of any strategies that aren't improved by having a larger handsize.

It doesn't help strategies that don't hit $6 at all or until very late in the game.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 02:30:33 pm »

What about Copper? Barring edge cases (Alms, Shelters+Advance, Baker+Poor House, Engineer, etc.), it helps all strategies.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:32:11 pm by Dingan »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2019, 02:51:35 pm »

Draw-to-x
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 03:40:21 pm »

Province.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 04:09:29 pm »

Province.

Still only most games. Province isn't useful in, say, a Bishop/Fortress golden deck.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 06:08:42 pm »
+1

I first thought about Chapel, but Chapel may work not as well with Gardens.

Sentry, however, is usable in any kingdom. It is nonterminal, can sift, trash, inspect the deck and change the deck order. Other very versatile cards include Wishing Well, Vagrant, Necromancer and Ironmonger.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 06:20:08 pm »
+1

There has been tons of discussion what the best card is and why.

Someone's gotta keep the F in FAQ
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.