Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Dominion Wild Lands  (Read 28799 times)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Wild Lands
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2018, 11:51:09 pm »

Chuckes yeah it is called bridge and bridge doesn’t have +1 Card however highway does and it’s the same thing as bridge. I will change it to only $1 less however instead of $2 less.

And yes a rickety bridge that could break at anytime so you discard (heavy) treasure before you cross that’s the theme for the card.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2018, 08:13:23 am »
+1

Also, the "from the supply" is important so you can't gain Travellers or Spirit cards.

No this is incorrect, the word gain implicitly means from the supply. Hermit is a nice example, it just says "gain a card costing up to $3." but has to specify that the Madman is gained from the Madman pile.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2018, 10:03:28 am »

Chuckes yeah it is called bridge and bridge doesn’t have +1 Card however highway does and it’s the same thing as bridge. I will change it to only $1 less however instead of $2 less.

And yes a rickety bridge that could break at anytime so you discard (heavy) treasure before you cross that’s the theme for the card.

You can do what you want, but the general consensus is that +1 Card without +1 Action is an awkward bonus that can actually hurt more than it helps: if you have no actions left, the chances of drawing a single action card dead are high, which is all bad and no good. There's a reason no official card does this, except Ruined Library, which is supposed to be bad.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2018, 10:26:58 am »

Well if that’s the case I can make it cost $1 just like poor house. What about that?

Or I could put it back the way I had it. After all it could do more harm than good with just the +1 Card right. Which means it shouldn’t of been too powerful for a $2 costing card in the first place. The awkward bonus should balance the card from keeping it too powerful.

Or I could remove the +1 Buy and make it +2 Cards.

Which of the three do you guys prefer?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:37:00 am by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2018, 11:00:46 am »

Would trash a treasure work?

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2018, 11:09:55 am »

Trashing a treasure might make it even more powerful?

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2018, 03:20:17 pm »

Really, I think just +1 Buy and discard a Treasure for -$1 prices would be good. I think that would be balanced at $2, and also nice and simple.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2018, 08:46:27 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2018, 08:50:48 pm »

So for every 3 cards that you have that says (This is not in the supply) gives you victory points. If your playing with other cards in wildlands especially, it could be a lot of points. And at least a smidge of victory points if it’s just Cape buffalo.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:02:36 pm by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2018, 01:12:32 pm »

Why is there a * in the card?

Edit* It's for cards that were never in the supply not that are in a empty pile

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2018, 04:09:48 pm »

Pretty much every official card has * beside each number on the treasure, for any card that isn’t in the supply. Except shelters, heirlooms, and zombies. So preserve will work with official cards as well.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2018, 04:11:51 pm »

I would leave out the from Preserve; I think it would just cause confusion. Some things such as Peddler and Grand Market also use the "*" in the cost, but they are in the supply. You could just say "for every 3 cards you have that are not from Supply piles." You do need the "you have", otherwise it would count all non-supply cards.

The wording on the action part is a bit strange too. It could simply be "You may reveal 5 differently named cards from your discard pile, to gain a Cape Buffalo from its pile". "When you do" is awkward wording given that while playing the card is the only "when" that it could happen. It's not like Goons with "when you buy a card". And it does need to be "from its pile", you can't just "gain a Cape Buffalo" because it isn't in the supply.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 04:17:09 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2018, 04:31:18 pm »
+1

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2018, 04:35:45 pm »

I think this version works pretty well. Though the colors should have white and green because it's an action.

Unless it's too strong, I would give Cape Buffalo a higher cost; maybe even . You're going to want a lot of Cape Buffalo if you are going for Preserve at all; so it would be nice if having another one in your hand when you played one helped with its ability.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2018, 04:55:08 pm »

Now I’m sure you have lots of questions about this one. And since it’s practically the first of its kind I’m sure it’s going to need more work.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 04:56:18 pm by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2018, 05:15:14 pm »

The reaction trasher won't work with moat because moat will block the full attack so lion can't trash it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2018, 05:33:06 pm »

The reaction trasher won't work with moat because moat will block the full attack so lion can't trash it.

Lion is not an attack; no reaction would be revealed when it is played.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2018, 05:44:12 pm »

Having something that increases costs causes an unknown rules issue... if you play a Lion with a Highway in play, does Copper cost or ? There is no right answer; different people will look at it and play differently. Highway reduces Copper to , and Lion makes it into . Or, does Lion make it into , and then Highway brings it back to ? Bridge Troll is Donald's way of doing a cost-increasing attack; it makes other players take their - token. That works similarly to increasing the cost of things.

Also, since Lion increases costs for yourself as well; it's pretty weak. The cost-increasing effect basically just balances out between you and your opponents, so all you are really getting is the next-turn draw, and the reaction thing. The next-turn draw is worse than Hunting Grounds, for the same cost.

And as a terminal; it could be quite difficult to ever take advantage of the reaction thing. You would need to play a village, then play Lion, then play an attack, and then your opponent would have to choose to reveal a reaction. Though of course it would work better with reactions such as Tunnel.

But then you have other weird things, like what if you make them reveal a card using something like Spy or Cutpurse, and the revealed card is a reaction, maybe Moat, or maybe just Tunnel. A reaction was revealed so I guess they should trash it; as worded. But it also says they follow the effects.

I don't see a reason to have it say "they follow the effects". You don't need to specify that; that's just what happens normally when you reveal a reaction. Telling them that they trash it later shouldn't cause anyone to think that they don't still do what it says.

And what about reactions like Horse Traders? That doesn't get revealed when used. So Lion wouldn't affect it? Also, there's a tracking issue; the reaction is hidden away in their hand, so how can they be forced to trash it? What if they used something like Secret Chamber, which may or may not leave the reaction in their hand afterwards. If it isn't in their hand, it can't be trashed.

Basically, I just don't see how either part of this card can work. The cost-increasing is better done with a - token, and the reaction-trashing thing just has far too many rules and wording issues to work.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2018, 06:37:22 pm »

So when this is played no reaction can be used to block this attack from happening unless someone played it on a turn prior cause after all there’s only one of each of these tokens per player. And horse traders isn’t affected by the lion, tunnel, faithful hound, trader and watchtower may not always be affected by it either. Lighthouse, champion and guardian do work well with this card, if there already on the table.

Examples of reactions that can’t block this: moat, diplomat, secret chamber, caravan guard.

Wildlands reactions that can’t block this: hippopotamus, Cape buffalo

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2018, 06:41:14 pm »

I think this wording can work. But it seems like it should be "until the end of turn" instead of "until the start of your next turn". As worded, it would stop your own reactions against your opponent's attacks.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2018, 06:50:27 pm »

Now it’s like a lighthouse itself. So you don’t have to worry about reacting to attacks.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 06:53:26 pm by ClouduHieh »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2018, 08:51:46 pm »

Now it’s like a lighthouse itself. So you don’t have to worry about reacting to attacks.

Can I reveal Moat to stop Lion? Watchtower to stop Witch? Tunnel and Market Square to Knights? Patron to Scrying Pool?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:53:03 pm by majiponi »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2018, 11:41:34 pm »

Whenever you reveal a reaction to an attack, it’s nullified with lion in play. And lion anti reaction rule goes into effect before the actual attack part of it goes into play. So you can’t moat a lion. However with that said there are ways out. The lighthouse from seaside if it’s on the table already automatically blocks it and if lion was played earlier by another player they won’t be affected by this lion either. With the exception that the reactions won’t work for them either.

So no you can’t use trader against a witch, you can’t use tunnel against a militia. But you can still use a trader against I’ll gotten gains same goes for watchtower also. You can also discard and reveal tunnel with your oasis for instance. And since horse traders is set aside, instead of revealed you can still get that to work for you. And patron wouldn’t work with an attack that told it to be revealed. However if used another card that wasn’t a reaction to an attack like patron was revealed with chariot race that would still work.

It’s kinda thematic when a lion roars, most people stop what there doing. Cause the roar of a lion is so intimidating, time almost stops for a lion roar.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 11:44:03 pm by ClouduHieh »

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2018, 12:50:15 am »
+1

Whenever you reveal a reaction to an attack, it’s nullified with lion in play. And lion anti reaction rule goes into effect before the actual attack part of it goes into play.

No, it does not. As worded, preventing players from revealing reactions is part of resolving Lion, which occurs AFTER it goes into play, and Moat would be revealed before Lion is resolved, thus allowing Moat to react to Lion.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2018, 06:17:04 am »

If that’s the case how do I word it so the reaction can’t activate before lion can attack. Cause the whole point of this card. Is to block moat like reactions.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:18:22 am by ClouduHieh »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.