Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Dominion Wild Lands  (Read 28800 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Wild Lands
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2018, 01:13:57 pm »

If that’s the case how do I word it so the reaction can’t activate before lion can attack. Cause the whole point of this card. Is to block moat like reactions.

Lion needs some under-the-line text to do some special ability that isn't related to when you play it.

Until the end of turn, reactions cannot be revealed in response to playing attack cards. Each other player takes their - token and puts their -1 card token on their deck.

At the start of your next turn, +4 cards.

Should work... I changed it to "end of turn" instead of "start of next turn", because that still works just as well to prevent reactions for all your attacks; without needing the extra Lighthouse-thing to prevent it from backfiring. It's just simpler wording for a very similar effect.

I still don't think the reaction part matters all that much... plenty of games using it will either not have reactions, or not have other attacks. And even if the game has both, you have to still play a village, then Lion, then the other attack. So that effect simply might matter very rarely. If Lion already prevents reactions to itself with its own under-the-line text, then maybe that's enough for what you want.

This version of the card might be too strong; you perhaps changing it so that each opponent can choose which penalty token to take could work.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2018, 02:07:19 pm »

Ok thanks GendoIkari

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2018, 08:51:10 pm »
+1

Okay so I changed the wording. Also I made it so you would get both attacks but separated them out -1 coin token first. Then at the start of your next turn each player would get the -1 Card token and dropped the benefit down to 3 cards instead of 4 cards. So that should be balanced a little better than it was. And thanks again GendoIkari for better wording.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2018, 10:14:21 am »

So the reason you need a dog in play to gain royal menagerie is quite thematic. Back in the day if the common folk wanted to see the animals at the menagerie. They probably couldn’t afford the real price so they could use a dog as payment and then dog would be fed to one of the wild predators.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2018, 05:42:29 pm »

"You can't gain this unless..." interacts oddly with mandatory gainers. I'd steer clear of it if I were you.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2018, 07:36:54 pm »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2018, 09:35:20 pm »

I think Royal Menagerie is way too strong even considering the gain restriction. Even without the other stuff, +3 Cards +1 Action is bonkers good, worth at least $8 or $9.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2018, 09:41:43 pm »

Would it be better if I swapped the actions and cards.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2018, 03:02:32 am »

Okay so I changed the wording. Also I made it so you would get both attacks but separated them out -1 coin token first. Then at the start of your next turn each player would get the -1 Card token and dropped the benefit down to 3 cards instead of 4 cards. So that should be balanced a little better than it was. And thanks again GendoIkari for better wording.

How about making this non-Attack? Masquerade, Tribute, Possession are non-Attack. "While this is in play, when other player plays a Lion, it doesn't affect you." will work, too.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2018, 10:40:27 am »

I already changed it for to gendoikaris specs. I’m happy with lion as it is. Besides there is already attacks that give out those coins, so it has to be attack. And I prefer it with the tokens.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2018, 11:26:17 am »

How about making this non-Attack? Masquerade, Tribute, Possession are non-Attack. "While this is in play, when other player plays a Lion, it doesn't affect you." will work, too.

That doesn't seem like a good way to make it Moat-proof. If anyone posted a card that gave other players penalty tokens, and didn't include the attack type in order to make it Moat-proof; the first poster to read it would respond and say that it should be an attack. If it were a real printed card, anyone who came across it while playing would be very confused, thinking "this really should be an attack". They wouldn't ever know that it was intentionally not made an attack just to make it stronger.

Yes, there are people that complain that Possession and Tribute should be an attack. But there is a good response to such players; they just need to be explained that on average, deck-cycling doesn't hurt you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:27:20 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2018, 12:56:43 pm »

They wouldn't ever know that it was intentionally not made an attack just to make it stronger
Could you not just write in the rules
Although this card has an effect similar to an attack card, it isn’t one, and therefore is not treated as one for cards like Moat.
?

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2018, 12:59:59 pm »

How would this interact with Thief? My guess would be that it would be trashed, topdecked, lost track of, and thus not gained by the player who played Thief? Also change “when this is trashed” to “when you trash this”.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:05:13 pm by MrHiTech »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2018, 01:10:21 pm »

They wouldn't ever know that it was intentionally not made an attack just to make it stronger
Could you not just write in the rules
Although this card has an effect similar to an attack card, it isn’t one, and therefore is not treated as one for cards like Moat.
?

Of course you could write something like that... pretty much any player would still be left asking "why isn't this an attack; it clearly should be an attack?"

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2018, 03:35:40 pm »

Relic gave out the -1 Card token and bridge troll gave out the -1 Coin token. They were both attack cards. Unless Donald changes those official cards to non-attacks, lion officially needs to be an attack card as well. Plus in the wild if you came across a lion and had no protection what so ever what would happen to you. Would you be chatting with your buddies on the phone an hour later about how lions are as nice as bunnies. Not likely! Dangerous animals need to be attack cards. I find it silly that someone thinks lion shouldn’t be an attack card. In more ways than one.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2018, 03:53:12 pm »

Relic gave out the -1 Card token and bridge troll gave out the -1 Coin token. They were both attack cards. Unless Donald changes those official cards to non-attacks, lion officially needs to be an attack card as well. Plus in the wild if you came across a lion and had no protection what so ever what would happen to you. Would you be chatting with your buddies on the phone an hour later about how lions are as nice as bunnies. Not likely! Dangerous animals need to be attack cards. I find it silly that someone thinks lion shouldn’t be an attack card. In more ways than one.

To clarify, majiponi's suggestion was simply to remove the attack type in order to stop reactions from working... just a shortcut wording to make it behave identically to "Reactions can't be revealed in response to playing this". So Lion would still act like an attack in every way except the ability to react to it; which is what you wanted. I don't think the idea works great because of the potential confusion surrounding it, but the idea still had merit.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2018, 04:02:29 pm »

Oh okay. Yeah I don’t like it either, plus I kinda like the idea that this would be the first attack that prevents reactions. Part of the reason why we make fan based cards is to create new cards that aren’t exactly the same as pre exsisting cards. An attack that prevents reactions is a new idea and it’s hard to properly gauge the exact wording for new ideas. Sometimes you just gotta wing it.

Anyways I’m in the process of fixing the wording for dog. And I’m changing royal menagerie to 7$ costing card as well as changing the benefit a little bit in order to make the words on the Card slightly bigger.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:05:12 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2019, 11:07:32 am »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2019, 09:10:25 am »

Does the "Defeat" type interact in any way with any card except Courtier?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2019, 10:23:43 am »

I made one in my snowline expansion called eagles that did work with curses. Since I’ve only made a handful of defeat cards mad scientist, firn village, mosquito. (Skunk I made for nocturne physically already as a new additional card, which didn’t make sense since dark ages had rats) However I plan to make a sorta of rulebook that says for eagles that curse cards/defeat cards are one in the same, so that way you can get the effect for both. Technically they are the same color at least. I have all the cards posted in the first few posts of the snowline thread, so check out what eagles does.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:30:42 am by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2019, 08:13:40 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2019, 10:39:15 pm »

I’ve changed this card. What do you guys think?

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2019, 06:10:37 pm »

The wording on lemon shark is strange at least below the line

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2019, 12:26:46 am »

My first of 2 or 3 reserve cards for wildlands.

This card can be a decisions decisions card at times, unless you don’t have victory cards in your hand or have more than one bird cage on your tavern mat.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2019, 01:23:55 am »

You know what they say stay out of a cat fight.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.