Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Dominion Wild Lands  (Read 28789 times)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Dominion Wild Lands
« on: December 07, 2018, 09:42:51 pm »

Lately I’ve been thinking of another expansion something a little closer to my heart. Anyway here’s the flavor text:

You have acquired so much wealth and land. And it seems there is no limit of more land to acquire. But what’s the point of having all this land. There’s nothing to do with it all. And many others have nearly as much land as you now. But wait your explorer has just arrived from a long journey. It seems from his report that a ruler far far away, who also has lots of land. Has in his possession lions, tigers, and bears to show off his power. So that’s what we will do but even better. With so much land we build a royal menagerie. We will send even more explorers, adventurers, and naturalists out to capture any animal we can find. Yes it will be dangerous the savanna has an animal that laughs before attacks. And in the jungle there is reports of ruins and temples and cannibals and many may end up as lunch for those tigers. But that is a sacrifice I’m willing to make to bring these to the people. Yes even the common folk will be able to see these animals in person, they can pay with there cats and dogs, the lions will be hungry after all. And then we will truly be the envy of all those around us.

I am planning on having animals in this expansion as Actions. However some of the most endangered will be victory cards. Dogs and cats will be treasure cards. Which you won’t be keeping for very long. After all the lions are hungry. Your probably all thinking why would I put dogs and cats as treasures. Well first of all goat is a treasure in nocturne. Plus that’s what the common folk would use as payment, if they wanted to go the menagerie. And yes some of the dangerous animals will be attack cards.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:39:59 am by ClouduHieh »

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Wild Lands
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:00:58 pm »
+1

At my school, they once had a club to create a fan Dominion expansion called "Dominion: Zoo." It did not go well...
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 11:38:04 pm »
+2

This will be the post where I’ll keep all the cards to start with.

Jungle village

Tiger

Adventurers

Langurs

Golden cat

Red panda

Hyena

Cheetah

Tribesman

Giraffe

Safari

Gazelle

Wildebeest

Jungle ruins

Gold monkey

Cannibal

The Nile

Nile crocodile

Hippopotamus

Monsoon season

Watering hole

Rickety bridge

Preserve

Cape buffalo

Lion
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:04:21 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 02:22:13 am »

So there’s the first few cards. As you may have noticed there are some cards similar to cornucopia. Cornucopia is my 2nd favorite expansion. One reason is because of the differently named card reward.
Royal menagerie

Dog

Common folk

Miasma Marsh

Mosquito

Mangrove swamp

Lemon shark

Bird cage

Alley cat

King Cobra

Jungle

Elephants

Proboscis monkey

Fishing cat

Animal trap

Rhinos

Black panther

Tribal dance
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 02:08:55 am by ClouduHieh »

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 04:40:32 am »

Jungle Village is pretty good; I'd rather do +1 Action per differently revealed Action card.

Tiger is too good, it is better than Dame Josephine and Sir Destry combined and gets the Giant-like cursing on top of it.

I'd be very careful with unlimited handsize attacks like that of Langurs. Even though it is hard to set up, a deck with 5 Langurs is no fun for the opponents. Note that the only other unlimited handsize discard Attack, Torturer, has a second option for the attacked player.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 10:46:13 am »

Well the great thing about cards that aren’t in the supply. Is they don’t have to be at least 10. So I was planning on making Langurs and golden cat at least 5 or 6 each. So you would have to be the only player to gain langurs for everyone else to discard their whole hand. Not likely though. Even in a two player game you would still probably not end up with every langur, maybe 4 of them. And if that was the case you would most likely have to your deck in one turn for it to be devestating to the other player. Which means you would have to have a lot of villages in your and or villagers in order to pull that off. And after all if did still end up with 4 in your hand at the start of the turn, you still would only get to play with one. They don’t give out extra actions and they don’t let you draw cards. I still plan to have a normal amount of victory cards.

And I just wanted to show a tigers power off by starting off powerful. I might raise the cost or make it +2 Cards instead. I’ll just wait and see what other people think of tiger before I change it.

Also some players may not want to play it too much towards end of the game, so that way their tigers don’t kill each other.

And I also might try to make a new type of card that involves just the animals. But I wanted to wait until I have all the animals in the game posted. Plus some are a little harder to do it with like tiger. It would be nice if you could have space for 4 different types just like nocturne has a couple that are 4 different types. Action-attack-spirit-doom or something I think.

Wildlands will cover at least 2 or 3 biomes. And of course not just animals. Jungle village and adventurers aren’t animals, so there should be plenty of other cards different  from animals too.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:59:28 am by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 11:01:26 am »

Oh and all animals will be real animals.

There’s two different golden cats. The Asian golden cat and the African golden cat. Of course not all animals will have their full species name, like the langurs card.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 05:26:24 am »

And I just wanted to show a tigers power off by starting off powerful. I might raise the cost or make it +2 Cards instead. I’ll just wait and see what other people think of tiger before I change it.
Just compare Tiger to Nobles, Destry, Josephine and Giant (there is a reason Giant only hits every other time) to realize how crazily overpowered it is.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 11:28:31 am »

The adventurers seems like a good card. Maybe golden cat should be moved to ten also. If you have a golden cat in your hand and play adventurers and discard a golden cat you'll get tons of golds and silvers. It would be bad in a colony game though.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 02:03:35 pm »

Hmm yeah I know tiger is overpowered hmm I might make it just golds for golden cat compared to tunnel golden cat only gives treasure when discarded from your deck. Tunnel gives you gold when discarded from your hand as well. And tiger do you guys think it would be better if it gave +2$ and costed 6$ instead would that help? Cause I would like to get all the facts about the cards before I change and maybe a few more responses about tiger and golden cat before I change them.

Also I haven’t had any responses about red panda. It’s sort of like mill. But instead of discarding just 2 cards they have to be different and instead +1 Action it’s +2 Cards. Do you think it’s fine the way it is. What do guys think? Is it a little better than mill or a little weaker than mill. Of course not that it would be a bad thing if it was stronger cause it would still be harder to get.

And for adventurers do you think I should alter the amount of cards discarded or is it too many cards? Or not enough?

And for langurs I plan to keep it 6 Cards just like the one in nocturne.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 02:11:38 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 06:55:20 pm »

Just like rats there will be 20 hyenas
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:01:15 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 07:00:33 pm »

AnjinSan

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 07:06:44 pm »

I like the concept for hyenas.  Like using a pack of hyenas, more deadly when added together in multiples.  Would you want to put a duration on this card, in case you have more hyenas in hands upcoming?  Or a card called ‘call of the wild...’ that let the hyena ‘yelp’ to its packmates?  Then if you had a card in discard or your hand you could search for it and add it to the top of your deck..?

AnjinSan

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 07:09:30 pm »

Aren’t there natural phenomena like ‘watering hole’ or rainy season or such...where packs will roam until the phenomena changes herd behavior?  How about adding a ‘season’ concept...kind of like a duration but for multiple hands?  The season breaks when someone buys a Duchy is purchased...?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:11:19 pm by AnjinSan »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 04:02:14 pm »

Just like rats there will be 20 hyenas
Hyena is the same cost as rats but with the gain function. Shouldn't it be more expensive, or does the trashing keep it the same?

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 06:33:59 pm »

Hyena is the same cost as rats but with the gain function. Shouldn't it be more expensive, or does the trashing keep it the same?

It isn't strictly better because it doesn't have Rats' on-trash bonus. The thing it has instead is also kind of weak, so I think it works at $4.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 09:47:02 pm »

Right it doesn’t have the +1 card when rats is trashed. And the gain ability isn’t available until you have trashed a few cards in the same turn with hyena. That’s why I figured it would still work kept at the same price. It still is as useful as rats cleaning your deck of coppers and estates. The reason why I thought it might be a good thing to gain from the trash eventually was that you might have had to trash something like a silver. This way you might be able to get them back. Rats you couldn’t obviously. And rats and hyena in the same game would be epic since they can trash each other.

So you might be able to get a lot of cards that were trashed too. Maybe even other players cards that they lost.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:48:51 pm by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 07:41:44 am »

Who does the art on this?

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 11:33:46 am »

Random google images mostly, as long as it doesn’t say product or for sale ect. And they don’t seem to have names attached either.

And once in awhile an artist from deviantart, but I always include their name. And some are from various games I’ve played.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 01:09:34 pm »

It still is as useful as rats cleaning your deck of coppers and estates.

Rats is not at all good at cleaning your deck of Coppers and Estates... it doesn't remove junk, it just replaces junk with other junk.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 05:08:26 pm »

Yeah that’s true. And obviously there will be times when you won’t buy a hyena. But that can happen with other cards too. However I once played a game where someone won with deck of almost all rats. He had rats and fortress. And there was the event called training and he put his +1 treasure coin on the rats.

So I’ve been thinking with hyena after the 3rd time played would it work if it also gave you + 2$ in addition to gaining from the trash sorta like a backwards conspirator. And still work as a 4$ costing card?

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 05:33:43 pm »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 06:54:06 pm »

This looks interesting, but it's probably too swingy. Even with a reasonably diverse deck the chances of getting a measly $1 out of this are still pretty high. I do like the basic idea, but I'm not sure at the moment how I would fix it. I would definitely drop the Duration part though, since that has nothing to do with the rest of the card.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:55:27 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 08:03:39 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 01:38:42 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 01:44:14 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2018, 01:45:50 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2018, 01:48:42 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 01:50:08 pm »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 01:54:26 pm »

Explorer is overpowered. It is basically Caravan and, if we use a conservative estimate for deck variety, Merchant Ship combined.
Or, to view it from another perspective, even if it did nothing on the second turn it is most often a double or triple Peddler which is too strong for $6.

Zebras is overpowered as well. Of course you rarely want to buy it and gift it to the other players but with any Workshop or Remodel variant (or even just Hermit) you are glad to get a Laboratory that later degenerates into a Fugitive.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 02:03:39 pm »

So the concern was tiger was stronger than the knights and giant, so I changed it to a $7 costing card from a $5 costing card.

If I made explorer a 7 or 8 costing card would it be better?

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:05:10 pm by ClouduHieh »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 02:28:28 pm »

If I made explorer a 7 or 8 costing card would it be better?
I'd first ask myself why no offical cards that cost $7 or $8 do pure vanilla stuff.

DXV had a Double Peddler that costs $7 during the playtesting of Prosperity and it later became Grand Market. So the official Double Peddlers, Conspirator and Grand Market, are either conditional or hard to get instead of very expensive.

I don't want to sound harsh but I think that you fall into the common trap of designing cards that do too much (and I say this as a guy who is biased towards overcomplexity!) and not comparing them carefully enough with existing cards. Explorer is better than Caravan, Harvest and Merchant Ship; Tiger is Nobles with a Knight/Giant like Attack substituting the Necropolis option.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2018, 03:44:33 pm »
+2

It's not clear to me when you would ever buy this, due to the when-buy ability. As Holunder said, it's great if you can gain it without buying it then it's great. But to buy it normally is to spend money and a buy on a net gain of nothing at all.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2018, 07:00:31 pm »

I’ve also removed the curse gaining with tiger, so now how does it look.

I removed the duration part, also I made it more like harvest except with the option of getting to put one of discarded cards back or maybe something else from the discard pile.

I made it so it wouldn’t deplete the zebra pile as fast. But still gave a benefit to other players. Letting it be cheaper than laboratory, cause mid-game it will turn into fugitive.

I still haven’t gotten any feedback on safari, gazelle and wildebeest, or giraffe.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:03:22 pm by ClouduHieh »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2018, 07:53:53 pm »

For new Zebra, i would change when-buy to when-gain to make it not too powerful with gainers. Also, Donald always chooses gain instead of buy if it can work, for simplicity.

Other than that, I like it. Though there is unclarity about what to do when it is bought from the Black Market. Finally, “when the Zebra pile is empty” should be “If the Zebras pile is empty.”  The Black Market issue could be fixed by saying “if there are no Zebras in the supply.”

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 09:16:41 pm »

Why would you need to play a Gazelle from your hand? It already gives +1 Action so you could play a indefinite number of gazelles without that function.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 10:32:04 pm »

Yes but playing 2 of them in a row turns it into a village. Having a few extra actions could be useful especially if there is no other card that gives out +2 Actions. Playing 2 in a row makes a provisional village. Of course you may not always be able to play it twice in a row.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2018, 10:36:34 pm »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 05:24:47 am »

I’ve also removed the curse gaining with tiger, so now how does it look.
You can tell yourself that it is Josephine plus Destry with the Attack being arguably nerfed (lower likelihood of hitting vs. giving the Attack player the option to e.g. trash a Silver instead of a $5). Probably OK at the price.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 08:13:33 pm »

This will be a split pile of 5 each with jungle ruins obviously on top.

Jungle ruins should give you some interesting turns. You’ll be able to trash a copper and than maybe put a silver on top for your next turn. Or if you have other unused actions and another jungle ruins you could get basically trash 2 coppers and still put a silver on top.

And gold monkey is similar to ill gotten gains but you get silvers instead of coppers. Could be useful if you had to discard down to 3 cards via a milita or something.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 08:22:49 pm by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 09:00:07 pm »

Shouldn't the gold monkey be more expensive. Unless it's a colony game, it works as good as a gold, but with an on curse game. In a colony game the silvers would clog your deck.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:26:26 am by LittleFish »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 09:31:19 pm »

I’ll gotten gains is basically the same card as this except it gives out coppers instead of silvers. And it costs $5 so this has to at least $6

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2018, 10:04:30 pm »
+1

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2018, 01:18:10 am »

Cannibal should be an Attack card, right? It has the same attack as Pillage.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2018, 10:20:34 am »

Your right I just forgot to add it.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:23:22 am by ClouduHieh »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2018, 10:28:44 am »

Shouldn't the gold monkey be more expensive. Unless it's a colony game, it works as good as a gold, but with an on curse game. In a colony game the silvers would clog your deck.

Even in a non-Colony game, you don't want that many Silvers. I think you might always buy one of these over a Gold the first chance you get, but you wouldn't want many, unless the Cursing itself is worth it.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2018, 04:55:10 pm »

That’s why it says you may gain a silver to your hand. And it is a split pile. One thing I’ve noticed about split piles is sometimes they never get completely bought up. Like rocks. Catapult wasn’t always bought up completely and if it was rocks wasn’t always completely bought up. And gladiator and fortune. Fortune wasn’t also always bought up. And so gold monkey might not always be bought up completely either. So expert players will probably avoid buying and playing too many. And you could always trash it with jungle ruins later. And besides better to clog your deck with silvers than coppers. And the cool thing about jungle ruins is you could cycle your better treasures so you could have a gold every other turn, if not more than one. And keep your silvers from clogging up your deck.

So what do you guys think if I made gold monkey produce $0 and then gain a gold to your hand. Would that be too powerful for a $6 costing card?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:00:50 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2018, 07:54:44 pm »

Now you do not have to play with the Nile in order to play with this split pile. However there will be other biomes. And when playing with wildlands you will have to play with one biome.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:01:24 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2018, 08:03:12 pm »
+1

And I decided to make the biomes the duration color because biomes will effect gameplay throughout the each game.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2018, 08:46:16 pm »
+1

The hippo should be only Blue. For an example why

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2018, 09:12:38 pm »

Yes but hippo is also an attack card. And all official reactions are reactions. I’m the only one that has made attack reactions. Yeti in my snowline thread for example. So since it’s different I decided to make it different in color as well. After all shemitz allows you to make your own custom colors.

So until there’s an official attack-reaction Card, I’ll be keeping it this color. If the creator of dominion creates one, I will definitely change it to match.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:24:27 pm by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2018, 09:16:06 pm »

I din't realize there wasn't attack reactions.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2018, 10:23:24 pm »

Yeah I don’t of any that exist anyway. So check out yeti in my snowline thread it is also white/blue. It is also a little different, it has an attack, but the reaction is also an attack.

And in my guilds and cornucopia thread there is another attack-Reaction called Firth guild.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2018, 01:44:23 am »

Even though there both (attacks) dangerous animals. The hippopotamus can block the Nile crocodile. Which is thematic because regardless of how powerful crocodiles are. there afraid of a bull hippopotamus.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2018, 07:59:07 am »

does it mean cheaper than the card discarded, or cheaper than cannabal?

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2018, 08:19:29 am »

Nile Crocodile is overpowered, I guess. It can gain anything, even a Colony. You should say "one of the trashed cards".

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2018, 08:34:38 am »

Nile Crocodile is overpowered, I guess. It can gain anything, even a Colony. You should say "one of the trashed cards".
It can only gain a Colony if somebody else has previously trashed a Colony via a different card. Crocodile cannot trash Victory cards.

I don't think it is that strong. Sure, you have to test it and it might be best at $5 but it is not crazy as there is rarely non-Victory stuff that costs more than 6 whereas there is a lot of non-Estates junk that costs less than 3. So relative to Knights this will often help the opponents. Sure, later in the game you can trash&gain, like 2 Rogues in one, but note that the very presence of Crocodile incentivzes you to (if this is feasible) thin less and sift more.

I think that this is the most interesting trashing Attack that CouduHieh has posted so far as it differs significantly from existing cards.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2018, 09:09:34 am »

Not to mention there may be more than one card discarded. Does it mean cheaper than all cards discarded? Any one of them? Cannibal itself? Also, "from the supply" can be dropped.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2018, 09:49:07 am »
+2

Yes but hippo is also an attack card. And all official reactions are reactions. I’m the only one that has made attack reactions. Yeti in my snowline thread for example. So since it’s different I decided to make it different in color as well. After all shemitz allows you to make your own custom colors.

So until there’s an official attack-reaction Card, I’ll be keeping it this color. If the creator of dominion creates one, I will definitely change it to match.

But there are action-attack-duration cards, like enchantress and bridge troll, and they aren't white-orange.
Who trashes the trashers?

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2018, 10:30:51 am »

Yeah I know that there are durations that attacks but still orange. The main reason why I want it white blue is because I want everyone to just by looking at it from afar that this is unusual reaction. And the only way to do that is to add a color, and the main reason white was chosen is because attack was originally chosen as the same color as action. Plus it looks really cool on my yeti! Almost all of my cards are now in the first page of snowline thread. You guys should take a look at that thread if you haven’t seen that one yet. Its got a lot reserves and durations along with a new type called defeat. (Opposite of victory)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2018, 10:34:37 am »

Yes if I chose to discard a province with cannabal I could get to golds. I am losing the cannibal after all so I’m getting to attack if there’s other players it might be more devastating for the other 2 players, but I’d also replace a cannibal with gold and get another gold for my troubles.

Still the odds that it would hit a player would be towards the end of game. The best choice would still be a gold, assuming there was at least one other 5$ costing card.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:40:49 am by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2018, 11:42:25 am »

Once again you won’t need monsoon season in order to play with watering hole. Also when playing with wild lands you should randomly choose a biome before the kingdom cards in the supply.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2018, 12:07:51 pm »

Without the "discard a card" part, Watering Hole would be probably a slightly weaker version of Poacher... the option to gain a Silver is the only thing it does that Poacher doesn't; and if you don't have at least 3 differently named cards in hand; it's really bad. So making you discard a card first, especially if Monsoon Season is not in the game, makes it way too weak... it might actually be balanced at ; it's similar to Pawn.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2018, 03:32:53 pm »

I actually based it off of oasis.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2018, 06:06:27 pm »

It can only gain a Colony if somebody else has previously trashed a Colony via a different card. Crocodile cannot trash Victory cards.

I don't think it is that strong. Sure, you have to test it and it might be best at $5 but it is not crazy as there is rarely non-Victory stuff that costs more than 6 whereas there is a lot of non-Estates junk that costs less than 3. So relative to Knights this will often help the opponents. Sure, later in the game you can trash&gain, like 2 Rogues in one, but note that the very presence of Crocodile incentivzes you to (if this is feasible) thin less and sift more.

I think that this is the most interesting trashing Attack that CouduHieh has posted so far as it differs significantly from existing cards.
Play with Remodel, Swindler, Salvager, Apprentice, or a kind of thing. Although you use Crocodile and one of them is rare (around 15%), its pover governs the game.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2018, 12:36:23 pm »

Play with Remodel, Swindler, Salvager, Apprentice, or a kind of thing. Although you use Crocodile and one of them is rare (around 15%), its pover governs the game.
Remodel and Salvage only trash Provinces or Colonies in the endgame for tempo reasons. Apprentice and Province/Colony seems pretty borderline so only Swindler is a thing. I don't think that this warrants restricting Crocodile from only gained trashed cards instead of cards from the trash which seems more fun due to a potentially larger selection in multiplayer.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2018, 01:20:09 pm »

Yeah I don't really see how Remodelling Province to Province then regaining the Province is much different from Remodelling Gold to Province and regaining the Gold.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2018, 09:40:47 am »

Not to mention there may be more than one card discarded. Does it mean cheaper than all cards discarded? Any one of them? Cannibal itself? Also, "from the supply" can be dropped.
I reposted the question because I don't think anybody saw this.

Also, the "from the supply" is important so you can't gain Travellers or Spirit cards.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2018, 10:27:08 am »

Right. You can’t gain red panda for instance with the cannibal.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2018, 12:47:09 pm »

Can someone answer this?

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2018, 01:31:53 pm »

Well with cannibal I was planning on it meaning cheaper than the card that was trashed, hence cannibal.

However what do you guys think, would it be interesting or too wonky or too powerful if it meant cheaper than the highest costing card discarded? Which could mean discard your platinum and I gain 2 provinces.

Or do you guys prefer my original plan, so you can’t use it to gain another cannibal or a gold.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2018, 04:20:13 pm »

Make cannibal cost or and make it be less than the discarded card

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2018, 05:34:37 pm »

What does everyone else think If cannibal costed $8 or $7 to gain cheaper cards than a discarded card?

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2018, 06:39:50 pm »
+1

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2018, 11:25:06 pm »

I really like this idea - Bridge but cheaper and weaker. The Treasure-discarding thing is very clever; you have to sacrifice raw $ to get the lower prices. I would definitely drop the +1 Card as it's awkward and doesn't fit with the rest of the card. I'd also make it reduce costs by 1 instead of 2. It's a $2 card so it can't be too strong.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2018, 11:51:09 pm »

Chuckes yeah it is called bridge and bridge doesn’t have +1 Card however highway does and it’s the same thing as bridge. I will change it to only $1 less however instead of $2 less.

And yes a rickety bridge that could break at anytime so you discard (heavy) treasure before you cross that’s the theme for the card.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2018, 08:13:23 am »
+1

Also, the "from the supply" is important so you can't gain Travellers or Spirit cards.

No this is incorrect, the word gain implicitly means from the supply. Hermit is a nice example, it just says "gain a card costing up to $3." but has to specify that the Madman is gained from the Madman pile.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2018, 10:03:28 am »

Chuckes yeah it is called bridge and bridge doesn’t have +1 Card however highway does and it’s the same thing as bridge. I will change it to only $1 less however instead of $2 less.

And yes a rickety bridge that could break at anytime so you discard (heavy) treasure before you cross that’s the theme for the card.

You can do what you want, but the general consensus is that +1 Card without +1 Action is an awkward bonus that can actually hurt more than it helps: if you have no actions left, the chances of drawing a single action card dead are high, which is all bad and no good. There's a reason no official card does this, except Ruined Library, which is supposed to be bad.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2018, 10:26:58 am »

Well if that’s the case I can make it cost $1 just like poor house. What about that?

Or I could put it back the way I had it. After all it could do more harm than good with just the +1 Card right. Which means it shouldn’t of been too powerful for a $2 costing card in the first place. The awkward bonus should balance the card from keeping it too powerful.

Or I could remove the +1 Buy and make it +2 Cards.

Which of the three do you guys prefer?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:37:00 am by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2018, 11:00:46 am »

Would trash a treasure work?

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2018, 11:09:55 am »

Trashing a treasure might make it even more powerful?

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2018, 03:20:17 pm »

Really, I think just +1 Buy and discard a Treasure for -$1 prices would be good. I think that would be balanced at $2, and also nice and simple.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2018, 08:46:27 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2018, 08:50:48 pm »

So for every 3 cards that you have that says (This is not in the supply) gives you victory points. If your playing with other cards in wildlands especially, it could be a lot of points. And at least a smidge of victory points if it’s just Cape buffalo.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:02:36 pm by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2018, 01:12:32 pm »

Why is there a * in the card?

Edit* It's for cards that were never in the supply not that are in a empty pile

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2018, 04:09:48 pm »

Pretty much every official card has * beside each number on the treasure, for any card that isn’t in the supply. Except shelters, heirlooms, and zombies. So preserve will work with official cards as well.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2018, 04:11:51 pm »

I would leave out the from Preserve; I think it would just cause confusion. Some things such as Peddler and Grand Market also use the "*" in the cost, but they are in the supply. You could just say "for every 3 cards you have that are not from Supply piles." You do need the "you have", otherwise it would count all non-supply cards.

The wording on the action part is a bit strange too. It could simply be "You may reveal 5 differently named cards from your discard pile, to gain a Cape Buffalo from its pile". "When you do" is awkward wording given that while playing the card is the only "when" that it could happen. It's not like Goons with "when you buy a card". And it does need to be "from its pile", you can't just "gain a Cape Buffalo" because it isn't in the supply.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 04:17:09 pm by GendoIkari »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2018, 04:31:18 pm »
+1

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2018, 04:35:45 pm »

I think this version works pretty well. Though the colors should have white and green because it's an action.

Unless it's too strong, I would give Cape Buffalo a higher cost; maybe even . You're going to want a lot of Cape Buffalo if you are going for Preserve at all; so it would be nice if having another one in your hand when you played one helped with its ability.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2018, 04:55:08 pm »

Now I’m sure you have lots of questions about this one. And since it’s practically the first of its kind I’m sure it’s going to need more work.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 04:56:18 pm by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2018, 05:15:14 pm »

The reaction trasher won't work with moat because moat will block the full attack so lion can't trash it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2018, 05:33:06 pm »

The reaction trasher won't work with moat because moat will block the full attack so lion can't trash it.

Lion is not an attack; no reaction would be revealed when it is played.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2018, 05:44:12 pm »

Having something that increases costs causes an unknown rules issue... if you play a Lion with a Highway in play, does Copper cost or ? There is no right answer; different people will look at it and play differently. Highway reduces Copper to , and Lion makes it into . Or, does Lion make it into , and then Highway brings it back to ? Bridge Troll is Donald's way of doing a cost-increasing attack; it makes other players take their - token. That works similarly to increasing the cost of things.

Also, since Lion increases costs for yourself as well; it's pretty weak. The cost-increasing effect basically just balances out between you and your opponents, so all you are really getting is the next-turn draw, and the reaction thing. The next-turn draw is worse than Hunting Grounds, for the same cost.

And as a terminal; it could be quite difficult to ever take advantage of the reaction thing. You would need to play a village, then play Lion, then play an attack, and then your opponent would have to choose to reveal a reaction. Though of course it would work better with reactions such as Tunnel.

But then you have other weird things, like what if you make them reveal a card using something like Spy or Cutpurse, and the revealed card is a reaction, maybe Moat, or maybe just Tunnel. A reaction was revealed so I guess they should trash it; as worded. But it also says they follow the effects.

I don't see a reason to have it say "they follow the effects". You don't need to specify that; that's just what happens normally when you reveal a reaction. Telling them that they trash it later shouldn't cause anyone to think that they don't still do what it says.

And what about reactions like Horse Traders? That doesn't get revealed when used. So Lion wouldn't affect it? Also, there's a tracking issue; the reaction is hidden away in their hand, so how can they be forced to trash it? What if they used something like Secret Chamber, which may or may not leave the reaction in their hand afterwards. If it isn't in their hand, it can't be trashed.

Basically, I just don't see how either part of this card can work. The cost-increasing is better done with a - token, and the reaction-trashing thing just has far too many rules and wording issues to work.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2018, 06:37:22 pm »

So when this is played no reaction can be used to block this attack from happening unless someone played it on a turn prior cause after all there’s only one of each of these tokens per player. And horse traders isn’t affected by the lion, tunnel, faithful hound, trader and watchtower may not always be affected by it either. Lighthouse, champion and guardian do work well with this card, if there already on the table.

Examples of reactions that can’t block this: moat, diplomat, secret chamber, caravan guard.

Wildlands reactions that can’t block this: hippopotamus, Cape buffalo

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2018, 06:41:14 pm »

I think this wording can work. But it seems like it should be "until the end of turn" instead of "until the start of your next turn". As worded, it would stop your own reactions against your opponent's attacks.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2018, 06:50:27 pm »

Now it’s like a lighthouse itself. So you don’t have to worry about reacting to attacks.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 06:53:26 pm by ClouduHieh »

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2018, 08:51:46 pm »

Now it’s like a lighthouse itself. So you don’t have to worry about reacting to attacks.

Can I reveal Moat to stop Lion? Watchtower to stop Witch? Tunnel and Market Square to Knights? Patron to Scrying Pool?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:53:03 pm by majiponi »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2018, 11:41:34 pm »

Whenever you reveal a reaction to an attack, it’s nullified with lion in play. And lion anti reaction rule goes into effect before the actual attack part of it goes into play. So you can’t moat a lion. However with that said there are ways out. The lighthouse from seaside if it’s on the table already automatically blocks it and if lion was played earlier by another player they won’t be affected by this lion either. With the exception that the reactions won’t work for them either.

So no you can’t use trader against a witch, you can’t use tunnel against a militia. But you can still use a trader against I’ll gotten gains same goes for watchtower also. You can also discard and reveal tunnel with your oasis for instance. And since horse traders is set aside, instead of revealed you can still get that to work for you. And patron wouldn’t work with an attack that told it to be revealed. However if used another card that wasn’t a reaction to an attack like patron was revealed with chariot race that would still work.

It’s kinda thematic when a lion roars, most people stop what there doing. Cause the roar of a lion is so intimidating, time almost stops for a lion roar.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 11:44:03 pm by ClouduHieh »

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2018, 12:50:15 am »
+1

Whenever you reveal a reaction to an attack, it’s nullified with lion in play. And lion anti reaction rule goes into effect before the actual attack part of it goes into play.

No, it does not. As worded, preventing players from revealing reactions is part of resolving Lion, which occurs AFTER it goes into play, and Moat would be revealed before Lion is resolved, thus allowing Moat to react to Lion.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2018, 06:17:04 am »

If that’s the case how do I word it so the reaction can’t activate before lion can attack. Cause the whole point of this card. Is to block moat like reactions.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:18:22 am by ClouduHieh »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2018, 01:13:57 pm »

If that’s the case how do I word it so the reaction can’t activate before lion can attack. Cause the whole point of this card. Is to block moat like reactions.

Lion needs some under-the-line text to do some special ability that isn't related to when you play it.

Until the end of turn, reactions cannot be revealed in response to playing attack cards. Each other player takes their - token and puts their -1 card token on their deck.

At the start of your next turn, +4 cards.

Should work... I changed it to "end of turn" instead of "start of next turn", because that still works just as well to prevent reactions for all your attacks; without needing the extra Lighthouse-thing to prevent it from backfiring. It's just simpler wording for a very similar effect.

I still don't think the reaction part matters all that much... plenty of games using it will either not have reactions, or not have other attacks. And even if the game has both, you have to still play a village, then Lion, then the other attack. So that effect simply might matter very rarely. If Lion already prevents reactions to itself with its own under-the-line text, then maybe that's enough for what you want.

This version of the card might be too strong; you perhaps changing it so that each opponent can choose which penalty token to take could work.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2018, 02:07:19 pm »

Ok thanks GendoIkari

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2018, 08:51:10 pm »
+1

Okay so I changed the wording. Also I made it so you would get both attacks but separated them out -1 coin token first. Then at the start of your next turn each player would get the -1 Card token and dropped the benefit down to 3 cards instead of 4 cards. So that should be balanced a little better than it was. And thanks again GendoIkari for better wording.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2018, 10:14:21 am »

So the reason you need a dog in play to gain royal menagerie is quite thematic. Back in the day if the common folk wanted to see the animals at the menagerie. They probably couldn’t afford the real price so they could use a dog as payment and then dog would be fed to one of the wild predators.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2018, 05:42:29 pm »

"You can't gain this unless..." interacts oddly with mandatory gainers. I'd steer clear of it if I were you.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2018, 07:36:54 pm »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2018, 09:35:20 pm »

I think Royal Menagerie is way too strong even considering the gain restriction. Even without the other stuff, +3 Cards +1 Action is bonkers good, worth at least $8 or $9.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2018, 09:41:43 pm »

Would it be better if I swapped the actions and cards.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2018, 03:02:32 am »

Okay so I changed the wording. Also I made it so you would get both attacks but separated them out -1 coin token first. Then at the start of your next turn each player would get the -1 Card token and dropped the benefit down to 3 cards instead of 4 cards. So that should be balanced a little better than it was. And thanks again GendoIkari for better wording.

How about making this non-Attack? Masquerade, Tribute, Possession are non-Attack. "While this is in play, when other player plays a Lion, it doesn't affect you." will work, too.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2018, 10:40:27 am »

I already changed it for to gendoikaris specs. I’m happy with lion as it is. Besides there is already attacks that give out those coins, so it has to be attack. And I prefer it with the tokens.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2018, 11:26:17 am »

How about making this non-Attack? Masquerade, Tribute, Possession are non-Attack. "While this is in play, when other player plays a Lion, it doesn't affect you." will work, too.

That doesn't seem like a good way to make it Moat-proof. If anyone posted a card that gave other players penalty tokens, and didn't include the attack type in order to make it Moat-proof; the first poster to read it would respond and say that it should be an attack. If it were a real printed card, anyone who came across it while playing would be very confused, thinking "this really should be an attack". They wouldn't ever know that it was intentionally not made an attack just to make it stronger.

Yes, there are people that complain that Possession and Tribute should be an attack. But there is a good response to such players; they just need to be explained that on average, deck-cycling doesn't hurt you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:27:20 am by GendoIkari »

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2018, 12:56:43 pm »

They wouldn't ever know that it was intentionally not made an attack just to make it stronger
Could you not just write in the rules
Although this card has an effect similar to an attack card, it isn’t one, and therefore is not treated as one for cards like Moat.
?

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2018, 12:59:59 pm »

How would this interact with Thief? My guess would be that it would be trashed, topdecked, lost track of, and thus not gained by the player who played Thief? Also change “when this is trashed” to “when you trash this”.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:05:13 pm by MrHiTech »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2018, 01:10:21 pm »

They wouldn't ever know that it was intentionally not made an attack just to make it stronger
Could you not just write in the rules
Although this card has an effect similar to an attack card, it isn’t one, and therefore is not treated as one for cards like Moat.
?

Of course you could write something like that... pretty much any player would still be left asking "why isn't this an attack; it clearly should be an attack?"

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2018, 03:35:40 pm »

Relic gave out the -1 Card token and bridge troll gave out the -1 Coin token. They were both attack cards. Unless Donald changes those official cards to non-attacks, lion officially needs to be an attack card as well. Plus in the wild if you came across a lion and had no protection what so ever what would happen to you. Would you be chatting with your buddies on the phone an hour later about how lions are as nice as bunnies. Not likely! Dangerous animals need to be attack cards. I find it silly that someone thinks lion shouldn’t be an attack card. In more ways than one.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2018, 03:53:12 pm »

Relic gave out the -1 Card token and bridge troll gave out the -1 Coin token. They were both attack cards. Unless Donald changes those official cards to non-attacks, lion officially needs to be an attack card as well. Plus in the wild if you came across a lion and had no protection what so ever what would happen to you. Would you be chatting with your buddies on the phone an hour later about how lions are as nice as bunnies. Not likely! Dangerous animals need to be attack cards. I find it silly that someone thinks lion shouldn’t be an attack card. In more ways than one.

To clarify, majiponi's suggestion was simply to remove the attack type in order to stop reactions from working... just a shortcut wording to make it behave identically to "Reactions can't be revealed in response to playing this". So Lion would still act like an attack in every way except the ability to react to it; which is what you wanted. I don't think the idea works great because of the potential confusion surrounding it, but the idea still had merit.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2018, 04:02:29 pm »

Oh okay. Yeah I don’t like it either, plus I kinda like the idea that this would be the first attack that prevents reactions. Part of the reason why we make fan based cards is to create new cards that aren’t exactly the same as pre exsisting cards. An attack that prevents reactions is a new idea and it’s hard to properly gauge the exact wording for new ideas. Sometimes you just gotta wing it.

Anyways I’m in the process of fixing the wording for dog. And I’m changing royal menagerie to 7$ costing card as well as changing the benefit a little bit in order to make the words on the Card slightly bigger.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:05:12 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2019, 11:07:32 am »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2019, 09:10:25 am »

Does the "Defeat" type interact in any way with any card except Courtier?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2019, 10:23:43 am »

I made one in my snowline expansion called eagles that did work with curses. Since I’ve only made a handful of defeat cards mad scientist, firn village, mosquito. (Skunk I made for nocturne physically already as a new additional card, which didn’t make sense since dark ages had rats) However I plan to make a sorta of rulebook that says for eagles that curse cards/defeat cards are one in the same, so that way you can get the effect for both. Technically they are the same color at least. I have all the cards posted in the first few posts of the snowline thread, so check out what eagles does.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:30:42 am by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2019, 08:13:40 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2019, 10:39:15 pm »

I’ve changed this card. What do you guys think?

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2019, 06:10:37 pm »

The wording on lemon shark is strange at least below the line

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2019, 12:26:46 am »

My first of 2 or 3 reserve cards for wildlands.

This card can be a decisions decisions card at times, unless you don’t have victory cards in your hand or have more than one bird cage on your tavern mat.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2019, 01:23:55 am »

You know what they say stay out of a cat fight.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2019, 05:13:39 am »

Isn't Lemon Shark strictly better than Remodel? It doesn't look like it wants to cost 5$, but it also is too good for 4$.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2019, 04:20:47 pm »

Isn't Lemon Shark strictly better than Remodel?

Yes, yes it is.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2019, 02:09:24 am »

I’ll be changing some of the cards I have already done. Giraffe, mosquito, lemon shark just a tad. Explorer The name and picture obviously will be changed completely. I forgot seaside already had explorer probably because I never liked that card. Giraffes can be completely changed. Mosquito is a little weak especially for a defeat card you might buy from the supply. So I’ll be tweaking that as well. Lemon sharks reaction is slightly better so I make it a 5$ costing card and will post it in the next 24 hrs.

Now with some of these animal cards I’ve been trying to make them unique even unique for dominion. Of course not all of them are that unique. Nile crocodile Is powerful in its own right. But in real life it’s still fears the hippopotamus. Which is why the hippopotamus can block the Nile crocodile attack and is an attack on its own.

The tiger is also powerful and just like the knights from dark ages, it gets trashed by another tiger.
Tigers are solitary animals so that’s why I made it that way.

However the Lion is the king. In real life If the lion roars time stops. So that’s why it wanted it to not be blocked by a reaction or at least moat and Cape buffalo.

Now there are two more animals that I have not posted yet or finished yet that also in their own way demand respect both cards will also be very unique hopefully. The first one will be the elephant which will also be accompanied by the jungle biome. And the other one will be the king cobra. I also have at least 5 other cards in this expansion that will be in the supply and a few that won’t. In the meantime I haven’t had any responses about my reserve cards, what do you think about bird cage and alley cat? If you haven’t seen them they are on page 1 and 5.

Oh and some additional rules for the wildlands expansion, especially if this was combined with other expansions you would first choose a random biome before randomly selecting the kingdom cards. The reason why that is is because each biome has a card attached to it that will be in the supply as an additional kingdom card. With that said there will always more than ten in the supply similar to how young witch is, which is why I say this sorta like cornucopia, that and the fact why there a cards that work with differently named cards better. Also just because a particular biome isn’t selected doesn’t mean that the card that goes with the biome can’t be randomly added. Example: If the monsoon biome was selected Nile crocodile/hippopotamus split pile could still be in the game. And the great thing about the biomes is I tried to make them work with a variety of pre-existing cards too.

So only one biome should be selected per game, unless you are only playing with wildlands, then I recommend 2 max. Since there will be no events, landmarks or projects in this expansion.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 02:34:37 am by ClouduHieh »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2019, 02:34:57 am »

In real life If the lion roars time stops.

That... doesn't sound very real to me.

Birdcage seems very strong. I suppose you will want as many of these as you can. Draw your deck, buy a Province, discard all but one from the Tavern Mat, use the last one to put a Province from your hand on your Tavern Mat, repeat. Buy a Bird Cage when you can't afford a Province.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2019, 04:44:53 am »

With lions I meant metaphorical. Whenever I’m working at the zoo and I hear the lion roar I always pause what I’m doing sometimes not even realizing it.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2019, 09:45:29 am »

With lions I meant metaphorical. Whenever I’m working at the zoo and I hear the lion roar I always pause what I’m doing sometimes not even realizing it.
Also, everything sort of goes silent after.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2019, 02:02:58 pm »

Exactly

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2019, 07:54:18 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2019, 08:02:25 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2019, 08:36:59 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2019, 09:02:30 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2019, 10:15:06 pm »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2019, 07:53:16 am »

The under the line should say
When another player gains a victory card, you may set this aside to gain a card that costs less than that card. At the start of your next turn, put this into your hand.
The old one had weird wording such as and starting a sentence.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2019, 10:04:48 am »

Giraffe is a lot stronger than Laboratory.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2019, 05:10:55 pm »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2019, 05:28:05 pm »

Doesn't work with heirlooms

That's not really an issue; it just makes it a little weaker for each Heirloom in the game. Also weaker with Shelters. It's still way overpowered though; strictly better than Laboratory.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2019, 08:01:25 pm »
+1

Giraffe is completely broken. Open Giraffe/Copper and then for the rest of the game you can buy a Province whenever you draw it.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2019, 09:25:47 pm »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2019, 07:57:00 am »

Giraffe is completely broken. Open Giraffe/Copper and then for the rest of the game you can buy a Province whenever you draw it.
Only the first time. Then the province would get in the way.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2019, 07:57:31 am »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2019, 08:39:56 am »

Only the first time. Then the province would get in the way.

Not in the first version of the card. It says "until you draw one that is not a Copper or Victory" so it would draw right through the Provinces.

Regarding the new version: it's better, but you can still easily draw your whole deck with it in the beginning, which I think is problematic. The official cards that put cheap/usually bad cards into your hand (Apothecary, Seer, Patrol, Vagrant, Will-O-Wisp) all have a hard cap on the number of cards they look at. Scrying Pool has no cap, but it takes a while for you to draw everything. I don't think this idea will work without some sort of numerical cap.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:49:26 am by Commodore Chuckles »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2019, 08:38:53 pm »

The only official card similar to this is Villa

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2019, 07:58:28 am »

Elephants seem to good. they're a lab that you can play when you buy it, and then it gives victory points. Would synergize well with tactician, because you could play treasures, buy elephant, play tactician, then use the +buy that you get when buying elephant to buy something else.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2019, 09:21:40 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2019, 01:01:55 am »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2019, 01:05:22 am »

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:09:03 am by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2019, 05:53:13 pm »

What if the animal the biome says to add is already in the supply?

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2019, 05:55:28 pm »

Is the on-buy other players trash supposed to be a positive or negative?

Also, could you post all the cards in their most recent form somewhere in one post? It's hard to see them all at once.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2019, 07:48:53 pm »

There all on the first page all in the first 4 posts.

Well that’s why you would pick one random biome first. And then remove the card that goes with that biome from the randomizer.

As for cobra, it can be both. Sure most likely they’ll have card they won’t mind trashing. But if bought towards the end of the game could be dangerous.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:53:32 pm by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 29, 2019, 07:59:21 am »

I might have skipped the first page by only reading the new replies, and only checking back to look at the earlier cards.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2019, 10:31:54 am »

Yeah with wildlands I’ve been posting in the first page since the beginning, I didn’t that with snowline in the beginning though. Have you looked at my snowline cards on the first page? I’ve got quite a few unique ones in there too. Including a bunch of animals.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2019, 07:14:11 pm »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2019, 08:26:36 pm »

It should be Green and White, and it should be exactly one more then it

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2019, 10:01:50 pm »

Before I make any changes is there anything else about rhinos, do you like it? Does it need some improvements? Or how about some of the other cards? I didn’t seem to get replies about animal trap, fishing cat, or proboscis monkey either.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2019, 02:40:48 pm »

Is there any reason you didn't make Rhinos "Trash a card from the Supply. If it is a..."? (I suppose it becomes slightly stronger in games with Crown or Capitalism.)

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2019, 09:32:06 pm »

I was thinking of doing it that way, however I wanted to prevent players from using rhinos to trash Victory cards, and most actions. All my defeat cards are actions too. And once the curses were gone and any possible defeat cards were gone they could still use it as a half mine function.

In a game we’re there are no ways to trash cards besides this, this card will limit the amount of curses each player will end up with. And at least replace all coppers or any treasure really with silvers. I didn’t put an additional benefit because it is a Victory after all.

Of course I might make worth 1 Victory for every 5 cards in the trash. What do you guys think the amount of trashed cards should be, cause with cards like chapel this could give out a lot of Victory points. So I’m looking for a good vp balance.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2019, 12:49:01 am »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2019, 02:07:58 am »

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2019, 10:46:47 am »

Choose from what? And why not just gaining a Silver or an Action? We only have 40 Silvers (and 60 Coppers) !

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2019, 11:33:54 am »

Choose from what? And why not just gaining a Silver or an Action? We only have 40 Silvers (and 60 Coppers) !

I don't quite understand your question. The formatting could be improved, but it seems clear to me that you have 3 options when you play this. All 3 options trash a specific type of card and do something else also.

I think it's WAY too powerful. Even without the other 2 options, and the victory points it gives, this would almost read "gain an action". That's super strong by itself... almost all other "gain" cards are limited to gaining a card costing up to , and they cost more than (Artisan, University). This can gain Grand Markets and Goons in most games, and can gain King's Courts if there is a action available.

And that's just one of three options. It's also a Cursing attack, though admittedly more limited because it has to trash a Curse to give a Curse.

On top of that, it can easily be worth 5 (think about how many games have both players trash all of their starting 7 cards). In a 4 player game, there could easily by 28 cards in the trash; making this worth 9!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:28:18 pm by GendoIkari »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2019, 12:59:15 pm »
+1

I agree that Rhino is too strong.

Strength aside, I also don't like that this card does so many things. I like the general idea to trash a card from the supply in order to do something related, or to get points depending on the cards that were trashed. I also see why you want the card to do both: As points are the same for everyone, you don't just want people to piggyback on the work of others. However, this is also incredibly flexible. That's too much going on on one card.

While I like the idea to consider cards in the trash for points, this scales poorly with different player counts. I would consider making it give points depending on the number of differently named cards in the trash instead, to set a hard limit, and also make trashing different cards trickier or more interesting. Maybe something like:

You may reveal an Action card from your hand, to trash a copy of it from the supply. Each other player may reveal a copy of it from their hand. If nobody does: +2$
---
Worth 1 VP per 2 differently named cards in the trash (round down).

But maybe something more simple would also work:

+2$
This turn, the next time you gain a card, you may trash a copy of it from the supply.
---
Worth 1 VP per 3 differently named cards in the trash (round down).

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2019, 04:54:16 pm »

How’s this version? I made it a little harder to gain an action card from the supply/trash. Especially if your opponent gains an the action you trashed on your last turn, you certainly won’t be trashing the higher costing Actions very often. And since actions won’t nessesarily stay in the trash forever it should keep the victory points at the minimum.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2019, 06:14:58 pm »

I haven’t gotten any replies about my 2 night cards. I wanted to make tribal dance interactive without attacking. And thought black panther would be cool worth vps for attack cards.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2019, 06:37:18 pm »

Sure, I'll bite. Both cards seem decent as-is.

Black Panther could actually not wait till discard from play to put Actions on your deck, because it's the Night phase; what shenanigans may ensue from you doing it immediately? I'm not sure yet. Black Panther's score rule could use some clarifications; I'm assuming it's 1vp per two attack cards in your deck?

Tribal Dance is good as designed, I think, assuming that you would balance the cost after playtesting; $2 may be too expensive, since the drawback is huge.

If it were up to me, I'd consider giving Tribal Dance a Duration: at the start of next turn, +1 Card in addition to its other effects.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2019, 06:57:51 pm »

Hmm good idea make tribal dance a duration. Yeah I’ll make the black panther clarify in your deck. As for the shenanigans I made black panther similar to scheme. With a somewhat weak attack. Weaker than ghost ship anyway. Cause you would have to play 2 and if you had no victory cards in your hand you would be fine anyway. Which works with a vp point card.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:00:28 pm by ClouduHieh »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2019, 07:26:54 pm »

The Victory part of Rhinos is better now, but I still think the upper part is too flexible and has too much text. Maybe you could do an Ironworks-like wording, where you trash a card from the supply and only then look at the type, doing a different thing for Curse, Treasure and Action.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:28:35 pm by Asper »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2019, 07:33:58 pm »

I like that idea for rhinos I’ll try it out.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 20 queries.