Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Randomizer Dominion - help me with the rules!  (Read 747 times)

scotthud

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Randomizer Dominion - help me with the rules!
« on: December 03, 2018, 12:29:51 pm »
+1

I am getting ready to take a trip, and want to carry games with me.  Dominion is too big, and I don't want to take just one expansion for various reasons.  I am thinking about inventing a game variant that uses the Randomizers instead of the traditional kingdom card sets.
I think instead of having 10 piles of kingdom cards, I will sort all of my randomizers from all expansions into piles based on cost.  So you have a pile for all 2 or less cards, all 3 cost cards, all 4 cost, 5 cost, 6 cost, and 7 or more cost.  Total of 6 piles.  Plus, you can use some 2 landmarks or projects or other such thing.

This type of setup would drastically reduce the number of cards I carry, while keeping great game variety.  I just need the base cards, and a box of randomizers.  Very compact.  But I'm sure that the gameplay will need some tweeks, and obviously I will discover certain cards (like "Treasure Map") that simply don't work and need to be set aside, due to the need for more than one of them in a hand.

I know it isn't an ideal way to play, but it may be fun in its own way.  Can you all suggest ways to modify the rules to make this travel friendly variant fun?  I don't want to change the game too much.....

Scott

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
Re: Randomizer Dominion - help me with the rules!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 12:37:35 pm »

Here's an idea that might be a bit weird, but hey. The whole premise is weird.

The first time someone plays a non-basic card with a given cost, that card stays in play, and all subsequent non-basic cards of the same cost they play become that card instead.

So, basically all non-basic cards get a rule that says "The first copy of this stays in play. While it's in play, all cards that cost $X are this card until they leave play."

If you can find ways to force a card out of play, then it leaves play and the next card you play with that cost becomes the sticky card.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Randomizer Dominion - help me with the rules!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 05:27:19 pm »
+1

Are you able to carry 120 or so extra cards besides the base and the randomizers? Get any 10 kingdom piles and let the randomizers say what they do. 2 or 3 extras or blanks for bigger piles or non-Supply piles.

If you have first edition Dominion and the extra Base cards, then you can use the base cards as the kingdom piles - conveniently there are 10 different ones, at least 10 of each, and they look different. It'll be confusing either way, I know, but like this you don't change the game at all.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.