Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2nd Edition - New cards only  (Read 2383 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
2nd Edition - New cards only
« on: December 03, 2018, 08:43:24 am »

Hello, hello

I would like to get the new cards only that have been added in the 2nd Edition versions of Dominion.

Is there someway that I can get these as a set?

Thanks
-Doowopdj

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Edition - New cards only
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 08:48:34 am »
+1

Yes, they're called Dominion Update Packs. The one for intrigue is still available from Amazon and online for about $15, but the Base Set one seems harder to track down. There are a couple Ebay listings for $40, but the complete 2nd edition is only $30 on Amazon right now so that might be the way to go.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 12:22:15 am »

So how does the revised cards get broken down.   Yes I know this is a odd request, but I suspect someone has 'organized' these stats already.
1. All of the cards that - updated format from 1st edition, including ANY re-wording/font changes
2. All of the cards that - updated format from 1st edition, including ANY re-wording/no font changes
3. All of the cards that - updated format from 1st edition, including non-gender rewording (These are the ones I most like will have to figure out how to get copies of without order a complete 2nd edition version)
4. All of the cards that - updated format from 1st edition, including gender only rewording
5. List of cards from non-updated sets that will be revised for any of the above 4 questions
-Thanks
-Doowopdj

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 07:49:09 am »

I think that it only adds the cards that are exclusive to second edition. It removes all the cards that made dominion a "solved game" where you only needed treasures.
Base
Harbinger, Merchant, Vassal, Poacher, Bandit, Sentry, Artisan

Intrigue
Lurker, Diplomat, Mill, Secret Passage, Courtier, Patrol, and Replace

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 04:48:25 pm »

The Upgrade packs for Dominion (base set) and Intrigue contain only the cards that were created specifically for 2nd edition. They contain none of the re-worded or re-typeset cards - not even the new version of Masquerade. The only way to get, for example, a Throne Room that says "You may" or a Torturer that says "their" is to buy a full 2nd edition set (or find someone weird who's selling the 2nd edition versions of cards individually).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 04:52:53 pm »

I think that it only adds the cards that are exclusive to second edition. It removes all the cards that made dominion a "solved game" where you only needed treasures.
Base

Intrigue
This is a good list of added cards; but you're mistaken about the removed cards making Dominion a "solved game"... even in first edition Dominion; it would be extremely rare, even impossible with base set only, for buying only treasures to be the best strategy. It is true that the cards that were removed were generally weak and either not fun to play with or not worth buying most of the time.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 06:48:19 pm »

Well, Scout was solved at least - the right move is to never get it.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 07:31:49 am »

Base

Intrigue
This is a good list of added cards; but you're mistaken about the removed cards making Dominion a "solved game"... even in first edition Dominion; it would be extremely rare, even impossible with base set only, for buying only treasures to be the best strategy. It is true that the cards that were removed were generally weak and either not fun to play with or not worth buying most of the time.

I was only paraphrasing what the wiki said

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 07:47:06 am »

Base

Intrigue

I was only paraphrasing what the wiki said

For reference, what the wiki said (emphasis mint):

Early on, Dominion was often criticized for having too many relatively useless Action cards; some people even went so far as to call Dominion a 'solved' game in which the key to victory is just buying Treasure (see also Silver test).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 09:27:45 am »
+3

For reference, what the wiki said (emphasis mint):

Early on, Dominion was often criticized for having too many relatively useless Action cards; some people even went so far as to call Dominion a 'solved' game in which the key to victory is just buying Treasure (see also Silver test).

FTFY
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.