Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New card ideas for guilds and some for cornucopia  (Read 2343 times)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
New card ideas for guilds and some for cornucopia
« on: November 29, 2018, 09:10:39 pm »

Even though there combined there both small just like alchemy. And the variety theme for cornucopia makes it one of my favorite expansions. Plus my insert for the box makes seem half full.
Bee keeping

Angry bee swarm

Honeycomb

Frith guild

Book binding

Property deed

Town crier

Merchant wagon

Village idiot

Kingswood
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:16:50 pm by ClouduHieh »

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
Re: New card ideas for guilds and some for cornucopia
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 02:43:54 pm »

Property deed is strictly better than Duchy and still very good compared to Bag of Gold. Maybe you should nerf it a little.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 03:31:43 pm »

Property deed is strictly better than Duchy and still very good compared to Bag of Gold. Maybe you should nerf it a little.

I don't see an issue really. Most prizes are far better than Duchies; with the option to take a Duchy only being used because the other good prizes are gone. And Bag of Gold isn't one of the stronger prizes. Property Deed is probably still not preferable to Princess or Followers.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 09:23:00 pm »

Yeah I just wanted one more prize that was better than diadem.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 10:40:05 pm »

What do you guys think about merchant wagon? I thought I’d try a new perspective for an action card. And interactive too.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 11:06:11 pm »

Merchant Wagon is a bit confusing with the rules. Due to the lose track rule, once one person gains the card, no one else can gain it. But it's not clear from the wording if your intent is that if the next player also discards cards, they should be able to gain it (from the player who gained it first). There's probably some better wording that makes it clear if the intent is that the first player to choose to discard 3 cards is the player who gains it.

This is SUPER powerful with discard attacks. Leave your opponents with only 3 cards and then play this... they really won't want to discard their entire hand in order to get the card. I think the idea is neat, but it doesn't sound balanced... makes it too easy to gain really expensive cards like King's Court or Grand Market. And it could be really slow to play, since it makes other players have a really tough decision.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:31:59 pm »

How’s this version?

I made it easier for the other player to gain, of course only the other player to your left has the option to gain it. But I made it impossible to gain grand market (of course you can still play it) and you can’t play goons or kings court with it. It may be a little wonkier with hamlet, but why would someone pick that card from the supply in the first place. Well since it does say +1 Buy on it wether you choose to discard for the buy or not is irrelevant cause it still says it. But still why hamlet?

Plus the reason I chose +1 Buy is because how many actions out there have +2 Buys? I didn’t want to make it more complicated with +1 card for instance because then there would be confusion does that mean +2 Cards is also an action that is not set-aside too? And then I didn’t want players to continue gaining the merchant wagon.

I play merchant wagon from my hand +2 cards +1 buy, now I’ll play a merchant wagon from the supply +2 cards +1 buy, now I’ll play a merchant wagon from the supply +2 cards +1 buy, now I’ll play a merchant wagon uhh!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:56:10 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 11:41:24 pm »

For awhile I thought alchemy would be the place for village idiot and then I decided it would work better with guilds. Well I added love potion to replace village idiot for alchemy. I probably won’t come up with new ideas for alchemy, but still go check out my alchemy thread. I probably still need to refine some of my ideas. Next year I’m going to start making the cards physically. At least for alchemy and snowline. I’ve been looking at my box for cornucopia and guilds and there’s still room for cards even if I add the ones I’ve already posted to my box I’ll still have room. So I might be posting some more ideas this month. In the meantime tell me the card you like the most if you like any of them. Also if I need to refine a card. It’s always best to tell me the good news before the bad news. So pick a card that looks good. Then tell me the card I need to refine. Same goes for all 3 of my threads. Snowline, new alchemy cards, and this thread.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 12:29:16 pm »

How’s this version?

I made it easier for the other player to gain, of course only the other player to your left has the option to gain it. But I made it impossible to gain grand market (of course you can still play it) and you can’t play goons or kings court with it. It may be a little wonkier with hamlet, but why would someone pick that card from the supply in the first place. Well since it does say +1 Buy on it wether you choose to discard for the buy or not is irrelevant cause it still says it. But still why hamlet?

Plus the reason I chose +1 Buy is because how many actions out there have +2 Buys? I didn’t want to make it more complicated with +1 card for instance because then there would be confusion does that mean +2 Cards is also an action that is not set-aside too? And then I didn’t want players to continue gaining the merchant wagon.

I play merchant wagon from my hand +2 cards +1 buy, now I’ll play a merchant wagon from the supply +2 cards +1 buy, now I’ll play a merchant wagon from the supply +2 cards +1 buy, now I’ll play a merchant wagon uhh!

Two things:
First, it's not clear from the card that if the player to your left doesn't gain the set aside card, that you will gain it to your hand. Playing this as written I would say that it goes into my discard pile.
Secondly, even if you do put the card into your hand, you need to have an extra spare action to play it, so it's not quite that gaining +1 Buy cards (or other Merchant Wagons) is incredibly powerful by itself.

I'd use the wording
+2 Cards +1 Buy
Play an action without Buy in its text costing up to $5 and set it aside. The player to your left may discard 2 cards to gain it to their hand. If they don't, gain it to your hand.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 04:46:17 pm »

Honeycomb is a really interesting card. I'd be happy to see it just as a standalone card costing something like $4. It's interesting in that the VP value coming from the Coffers gives you a lot of options for tactics.

It's a Copper if you keep hoarding the Coffers, which would be weak, but then you're getting 1/3 of a VP every time you play it. Is it worth it? I don't think so, you'll have to spend some Coffers.
If you spend the Coffers then it's more powerful but not as powerful as maybe it should be. You're losing the VP.

If you spend some of the Coffers then it's definitely worth it. So there's a balancing act; how many Coffers do you spend to stimulate your economy vs how many do you keep?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 06:36:41 pm »
+1

Merchant Wagon is way too good. Choosing Sentry gives you +3 Cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy plus the trashing/sifting, plus kind of forcing your opponent to discard.

Beware that with self-trashers, nobody can gain them. Choose Mining Village and trash it. You're not able to set it aside, so it can't be gained. This way you get +3 Cards, +1 Buy, +2 Actions and +$2 every time you play Merchant Wagon until the Mining Villages run out!

I would recommend removing +2 Cards completely, or your opponent may discard just 1 card to gain it. Or maybe +1 Card, your opponent may discard 1.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 03:20:17 pm »
+2

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 03:35:24 pm »

Neat concept; and good for thinking of wording that ensures Coffers in the game. Probably way too strong. Depends on the source of Coffers, but pretty sure 5 Coffers isn't worth more than a Province. This could probably give 5VP instead.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 04:54:29 pm »

Buying means you gain it.
Better: "During your buy phase you may buy this by removing 5 tokens from your Coffers. It cannot be gained in any other way."

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 05:22:26 pm »
+1

The current wording is imprecise as it implies that you are forced to buy Kingswood if you have 5 or more Coffers.

While it is arguably slightly artifical, the most failsafe way to create "ungainability" that comes to mind is via making Kingswoods non-Supply cards and an Event:

Event
$0
You may spent 5 Coffers to gain a Kingswood from its pile.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 08:17:28 pm »
+1

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 10:53:08 am »

I'd word Kingswood:

Kingswood - Victory - $7
7VP
You can only buy this using Coffers.
-
Setup: Add an extra Kingdom pile with +Coffers in its text to the Supply.

Overall I'm still thinking about its balance, but I think it's a unique idea.

Edit: I suppose this text allows you to gain it other ways as long as you're not buying it. Alternatively, you could say "This can only be gained by buying it with only Coffers." which is a bit of a weird thing to say but would be correct. Or, I suppose, "You can only buy this using Coffers. It cannot be gained any other way."
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:54:45 am by Neirai the Forgiven »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 21 queries.