Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Which cards do and don't do what their name suggests?  (Read 10723 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Which cards do and don't do what their name suggests?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 03:01:14 am »

I agree that Apprentice doesn't make any sense.  Especially since one of the best things to do with your Apprentice is to get enough of them that you can use one to trash another.  What kind of sense does that make?

See the thread I linked to above:

Apprentice. What happens in The Sorcerer's Apprentice? When the broom gets out of control, Mickey Mouse chops it into many pieces—and then each piece comes back to life as a full-sized broom. In other words, the apprentice trashes one broom, and gets back many more brooms for his trouble. The same thing happens with Dominion cards.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 01:48:34 am by AJD »

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 03:45:33 am »

Re: Woodcutter, I think the designer mentioned this one himself, saying that "Buy" was originally "Build". Hence the woodcutter helps you build things faster.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 05:17:22 am »

I love how people try to shoehorn some of the names to the cards.  ;D

Let's see you try your hand at Harem.
So I buy a bunch of mistresses to get money and victory points?

I could understand the money if it was a sort of brothel for the commonfolk where working girls rake in the cash.
But a Harem is for the king only and it's forbidden for any man to go there (only eunuchs), so I do wonder where the money comes from.
It's not like the woman actually work, they just take care of the household.

Even Donald admits the name is somewhat weird.
Quote from: Donald X. from The Secret History of the Intrigue Cards
I fully expected that the card name would get changed during development. Wouldn't someone complain that it was sexist, or un-European, or wait a minute, why does this make money? No-one complained though. Harem, there it is. We didn't specifically ask for cartoony art btw, that's just what came in.

The Victory Points I get since a Harem is a sort of trophy for the king. And as we all know, the art is horrible.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 05:51:40 am »

The king takes pictures, and sells them on the internet.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 08:10:55 am »

I love how people try to shoehorn some of the names to the cards.  ;D

Let's see you try your hand at Harem.
So I buy a bunch of mistresses to get money and victory points?

I could understand the money if it was a sort of brothel for the commonfolk where working girls rake in the cash.
But a Harem is for the king only and it's forbidden for any man to go there (only eunuchs), so I do wonder where the money comes from.
It's not like the woman actually work, they just take care of the household.

Even Donald admits the name is somewhat weird.
Quote from: Donald X. from The Secret History of the Intrigue Cards
I fully expected that the card name would get changed during development. Wouldn't someone complain that it was sexist, or un-European, or wait a minute, why does this make money? No-one complained though. Harem, there it is. We didn't specifically ask for cartoony art btw, that's just what came in.

The Victory Points I get since a Harem is a sort of trophy for the king. And as we all know, the art is horrible.

Shoehorn challenge accepted!

Ok, look at it this way, sure you may be the ruler of your Dominion and a Harem is nice (Its good to be the King!) hence the Victory points.

however, beautiful women dont come cheap you know, they don't just turn up on your doorstep and you are of course a benevolent ruler so you have not just stolen them. Therefore you have bought them from local families/slavers, stimulating the local economy, generating money!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 11:01:02 am »

My favorite is Fortune Teller. The first time you ask for your fortune, guy's gotta send his consciousness sailing through the astral plane. But if he's told you once, and you ask him a second time -- boom, it's right there on the top of the deck.  He's just reminding you of what you both already know. Because your future is written.

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 09:05:45 pm »
+3

Here's a justification for Duchess: She helps survey your territory to make things efficient, but she's not too discreet about state secrets so your opponents benefit too.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 02:55:44 am »
+1

Cartographer:  He looks ahead, tells you where you're going, and in addition can figure out the shortest route.
Spice Merchant:  Do you want to buy cinnamon or ginger?
Tunnel:  Kinda neat to have, and if you actually take a moment to walk through it, you might find something shiny and awesome.
Pawn:  These guys can do just about anything, but not very well.
Bishop:  Oh, you have an offering for the church?  Well, I'm make sure all the land hears of your generosity.
Vault:  A lot of stuff in there.  Some of it's great.  Some of it's mostly worthless but some rube will buy it for a coin.
Cutpurse:  Literally self-explanatory.
Tactician:  You know, instead of doing something hasty, let's plan way ahead and do something big.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 01:33:53 am »
+5

The Fishing Village plants a coin and an action for your next turn.  It should be called the Farming Village.

The Farming Village fishes through your draw pile for the next useful card.  It should be called the Fishing Village.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.529 seconds with 21 queries.