Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sewers + On-Trashing Draw  (Read 1299 times)

Losing track

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Sewers + On-Trashing Draw
« on: November 28, 2018, 01:17:44 pm »
+3

If I have bought sewers, and then use chapel to trash 2 rats, can I draw 2 cards before I decide whether to trash any more cards from my hand with sewers?

Also, If I have bought sewers, and then chapel 2 rats, assuming I can draw 2 cards before I decide, if I use sewers to trash 1 more rats, can I draw a card before I trash a second card with sewers?

Losing track

• Pawn
    • View Profile
Re: Sewers + On-Trashing Draw
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:19:52 pm »

Another way to phrase this question: Does sewers work as an above the line or below the line power.

If it changes all cards to have the below the line text "If you trash this without using Sewers, you may use Sewers to trash a card from your hand.", then I think the answer to my first question is YES, because you can resolve on-trashing effects in whatever order you choose.

If it changes all cards that trash above the line...  Chapel "Trash up to 8 cards from your hand"  Acting Troupe "+4 villagers. Trash this. You may trash a card from your hand"  Old Witch  "+3 Cards  Each other player gains a Curse and may trash a Curse from their hand. If they trash a curse, they may trash 1 more card from their hand"
If this is the case, then the answer to my first question is NO.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:32:26 pm »

Thinking about Sewers as "above the line" or "below the line" isn't a productive approach. Sewers doesn't change the abilities of other cards the way, e.g., Inheritance does. Just think of it as like Market Square—a special effect that is activated when you trash a card.

Since Rats' and Sewers' special effects are both activated "when you trash" something, they happen at the same time and you can pick the order. So yes, you may trash two Rats, draw two cards from Rats' special effect, and then trash two more cards with Sewers. Or you can do it in the other order if you prefer.

I'm not quite sure about the answer to your second question. Usually when multiple cards are trashed, they're trashed simultaneously. This would mean that, if you trash two cards normally, and then Sewers gives you the right to trash two more cards, you have to select and trash both cards before activating the on-trash effects of either (meaning you can't trash 1 Rats with Sewers, draw a card, and then trash a second card with Sewers). But the text of Sewers doesn't say "trash up to n cards"; it says "trash a card" and it's an effect that can be activated multiple times. So maybe it's like Monastery, whose phrasing is similar, which does trash one card at a time, activating on-trash effects in between.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 04:55:09 pm »
+5

If I have bought sewers, and then use chapel to trash 2 rats, can I draw 2 cards before I decide whether to trash any more cards from my hand with sewers?

When you trash two Rats with Chapel after you've bought Sewers, four effects trigger: two optional trash effects and two draw effects. Those effects can be handled in any order you choose. So, yes, you may choose to draw two cards before you decide whether to trash the up to two cards from Sewers.

Also, If I have bought sewers, and then chapel 2 rats, assuming I can draw 2 cards before I decide, if I use sewers to trash 1 more rats, can I draw a card before I trash a second card with sewers?

Based on the answer in this thread, I'd say you must draw a card from the Sewer-trashed Rats before you can go back to trash a second card from the other Chapel-trashed Rats.

Losing track

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 04:02:32 am »
+1

Thanks, chipperMDW...
 Your reply is succinct and clear.
I was pretty sure about the 1st question.  The 2nd question still makes my brain hurt.
Final score of "Sewer Rats" in my IRL casual game: 9-4-1.  :P
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.