Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Pearl Diver buff acceptable?  (Read 6297 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Pearl Diver buff acceptable?
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 06:48:57 pm »
+1

Not that would know it as you don't play 3P games ... but given the scarcity of Saunas in a 3P game buying a Sauna is rarely a mistake.

I'll sit to your left if we ever play one.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 07:05:23 pm »

Thank you, I have been wondering how Sauna/Avanto even could pass the bar, but it's not too hard too see that it could be actually fun in 3-player and reasonable difficult to play correctly as well..

Sauna/Avanto seems harder to ignore in 3-player than 2-player. In 2-player if one player goes for Sauna/Avanto and the other doesn't, the person who goes for it has to slog through 5 Saunas of decreasing usefulness before getting to the more-exciting Avantos. In 3-player, if two players go for Sauna and the last player doesn't, those two players still get to the Avantos quickly.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 07:42:24 pm »
+3

Can we all agree that Awaclus hates 3P games and move forward with our lives?

Side note: I just got a new phone and Awaclus is now officially the first word I've added to its dictionary.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 09:09:04 pm »

3P has a lot of potential for political playing, but the bigger issue in this example is that Sauna/Avanto is cancer.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 03:20:16 am »

3P has a lot of potential for political playing, but the bigger issue in this example is that Sauna/Avanto is cancer.

I always wondered why split piles aren't 6/6. Port can be 12. Rats can be 20.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 04:22:02 am »

I don't think it came up at the time. If it had or did though, well with 5 split piles (so few as to be just barely doing it as a mechanic) it's 10 more cards which is one card slot - 23 kingdom cards instead of 24. It's a much easier sell devoting a card slot to that in a large set like oh Adventures or Dark Ages, than in a regular-sized set that can't go to 400 cards because it already costs more due to all the metal, like Empires.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 04:24:48 am »

I think in 2p, Catapult in particular would suffer from being 6/6.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 09:32:27 am »

You could make a special rule for "This split pile is (3+X)/(3+X)" like with Curses or Victory cards, but man, we've already got enough rules like that, and the super-serious players only believe in X=2 games anyway...
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 09:47:36 am »

You could make a special rule for "This split pile is (3+X)/(3+X)" like with Curses or Victory cards, but man, we've already got enough rules like that, and the super-serious players only believe in X=2 games anyway...

I think the super-serious players believe in Castles. That's a split pile that is 2/1/2/1/2/1/1/2. I also think you can think that a split pile could be X/Y. The sum of these could be 10, but if they wanted something else, they're not bound by that number. Keeping it easy (With 10 Cards in total) I can see a 2/8 split pile working, or even a 6/4 split pile, both in 2P and 3P+ games. Or why not 3/1/6? Don't think too narrow. It's not like Castles are very difficult to grasp. Neither are Knights.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2018, 09:54:02 am »

I think the super-serious players believe in Castles. That's a split pile that is 2/1/2/1/2/1/1/2. I also think you can think that a split pile could be X/Y. The sum of these could be 10, but if they wanted something else, they're not bound by that number. Keeping it easy (With 10 Cards in total) I can see a 2/8 split pile working, or even a 6/4 split pile, both in 2P and 3P+ games. Or why not 3/1/6? Don't think too narrow. It's not like Castles are very difficult to grasp. Neither are Knights.

Serious Players see Castles as a stack of 8.  Making the piles bigger for 3P or 4P can help with making crucial combos more fair, but then you buff the "force them to slog through the pile unless Player 3 spoils it for everyone" strategy as a side effect.  idk...

buckets

• Scout
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2018, 04:10:27 pm »

I think Donald is opposed to actually changing what cards do, and would rather introduce a brand new card.  And so far, they've always been full reworks, and not anything like what I posted here.  The only exceptions I know of are making things explicitly optional if they would lead to "or prove you cannot" situations.
The problem is that the players hate us then. You bought the inferior Seaside, now we're selling the fixed version, you can't get the fixes unless you buy the whole box. Well look at how we're trying to bleed our fans...

...And I mean there are still people mad that they can't buy a box with just the cards from Guilds that say "Coffers" on them.

can't win either way hahaha
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.