Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Strange Inventor question  (Read 1978 times)

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
Strange Inventor question
« on: November 26, 2018, 03:34:40 pm »

When you play an Inventor, is the cost reduction contingent on gaining a card costing up to $4? I honestly can't think of a situation where it would matter, I'm just curious.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Inventor question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:46:31 pm »
+1

Contingent as in if you don't gain a card there will be no cost reduction? No, there is no "if you do" clause and therefor it doesn't matter if you fail to follow the instruction.

In fact, I think it's edge case-free impossible to occur since curses/ruins, coppers and estates needs to be out for that to even be considered. 

S

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 04:04:30 pm »
+1

In fact, I think it's edge case-free impossible to occur since curses/ruins, coppers and estates need to be out for that to even be considered.

The obvious edge case is pile them all out with a Bridge megaturn, then buy Villa and play Inventor.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 04:07:06 pm »
+3

In fact, I think it's edge case-free impossible to occur since curses/ruins, coppers and estates need to be out for that to even be considered.

The obvious edge case is pile them all out with a Bridge megaturn, then buy Villa and play Inventor.

I don't know what I was thinking...
S

MatthewCA

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 04:10:36 pm »
+1

Contingent as in if you don't gain a card there will be no cost reduction? No, there is no "if you do" clause and therefor it doesn't matter if you fail to follow the instruction.

In fact, I think it's edge case-free impossible to occur since curses/ruins, coppers and estates needs to be out for that to even be considered.

That is what I was thinking.

The word "Then" on the card confused me a bit I guess. It could matter for trader or posession, or anything with "when you would gain" timing, play inventor, gain an estate, reveal trader to instead gain a silver instead.  (why not just use inventor to gain the silver, but I digress) Do I still get the cost reduction?

Since its understood you resolve things top to bottom, the fact that the word "then" is on the card leads me to believe that Gaining a card costing up to $4 has to happen to get the cost reduction.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:18:12 pm by MatthewCA »

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 04:28:47 pm »
+4

I assume the "then" on Inventor is meant only to (redundantly) indicate sequence, just like it does on Wishing Well or Cellar. Also, I assume that if it were actually meant to indicate a dependent effect, the FAQ would have pointed that out.

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 04:33:11 pm »

That is what I was thinking.

The word "Then" on the card confused me a bit I guess. It could matter for trader or posession, or anything with "when you would gain" timing, play inventor, gain an estate, reveal trader to instead gain a silver instead.  (why not just use inventor to gain the silver, but I digress) Do I still get the cost reduction?

Since its understood you resolve things top to bottom, the fact that the word "then" is on the card leads me to believe that Gaining a card costing up to $4 has to happen to get the cost reduction.

But you did gain a card up to $4, that Trader brought it shouldn't matter as like with IW, because Inventor would only check if something was gained, not giving you something depending if it was a certain card or whatnot. As long as you got something gained, Inventor can proceed to the next task. Some Rule Master may correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain this should be the case. 
S

MatthewCA

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 04:52:17 pm »

I assume the "then" on Inventor is meant only to (redundantly) indicate sequence, just like it does on Wishing Well or Cellar. Also, I assume that if it were actually meant to indicate a dependent effect, the FAQ would have pointed that out.

This. I see now that this is probably the way it is.

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for wasting everyone's time on this.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 12:16:46 am »
+4

But you did gain a card up to $4, that Trader brought it shouldn't matter as like with IW, because Inventor would only check if something was gained, not giving you something depending if it was a certain card or whatnot. As long as you got something gained, Inventor can proceed to the next task. Some Rule Master may correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain this should be the case.

If a card actually said, "gain a card costing up to $4; if you did, cards cost $1 less", then if you played it and used Trader to gain a Silver instead, you would actually not get the cost reduction. This is exactly like Ironworks + Trader.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 11:56:20 am »

If a card actually said, "gain a card costing up to $4; if you did, cards cost $1 less", then if you played it and used Trader to gain a Silver instead, you would actually not get the cost reduction. This is exactly like Ironworks + Trader.

Exactly. "If you did" always means "if you followed the previous instruction". With Trader, you didn't follow the "gain a card costing up to $4" instruction. You followed a completely different instruction, which just so happens to involve gaining a card that cost up to $4, but it wasn't the right instruction.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.