Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alchemy, Intrigue or Hinterlands  (Read 2128 times)

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
Alchemy, Intrigue or Hinterlands
« on: November 23, 2018, 05:33:22 pm »

I have the Second edition of Dominion. I have Seaside, Cornucopia & Guilds, Dark Ages, Adventures, Empires, Nocture and Renaissance. I aim to collect all of them. I definitely want Prosperity next and then either Alchemy, Hinterlands, or Intrigue. What are the benefits and downfalls of those expansions?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemy, Intrigue or Hinterlands
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 07:26:12 pm »
+5

Intrigue 2E wins by a mile. It got fixed up and the other two did not. Alchemy is most people's pick for worst expansion; something had to be worst, but also, many people just don't like it much. Hinterlands is fine; the changes I'd make are mostly simplifications. But Intrigue just has more cool stuff.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 05:47:17 am »

What I did when trying to pick which expansions I wanted next was to look at the list of cards on the wiki (http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Main_Page).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 11:36:05 am »

Welcome to the forum!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 11:57:35 am »
+2

In my humble opinion the dominant strategy concerning the order of getting expansions is: all of them, at once, as quickly as you can.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 02:53:37 pm »

Intrigue is in my opinion the one with the most interesting and fun cards, and I only have the first edition with a couple of duds, but it's still awesome and the experience with Intrigue turned Dominion from a game among others to the game above all other. That said, Hinterlands is not bad either. It's simpler and that is a good thing when playing IRL, also a star you should absolutely get as soon as you can manage.

Alchemy you can wait with, the cards are actually great but unfortunately they are a bit of a pain to resolve IRL and we stopped playing Alchemy pretty quickly after the novelty ran off. I don't want to bash it further though, because the potion mechanic is so interesting, but prioritise the other two, that is what almost everyone would suggest I think.   
S

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 08:48:17 pm »
+1

In my humble opinion the dominant strategy concerning the order of getting expansions is: all of them, at once, as quickly as you can.

I shall try to try that

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 12:41:46 pm »

I bought expansions by increasing complexity, and I liked how that was, learning the cards. Only downside is that Base+Intrigue+Hinterlands is a bit too money-ish for my taste, although 2nd editions probably negate that some.  Still, I think if I were to do it again, I'd throw in Cornucopia earlier or something like that, maybe Dark Ages too (like before Seaside and Prosperity even?)

So like
Base -> Intrigue -> Cornucopia -> Hinterlands -> Dark Ages -> Prosperity -> Seaside -> Guilds -> Alchemy -> Renaissance? -> Adventures -> Empires -> Nocturne

Something like that, not sure about the end of it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 21 queries.