Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [What if?] Feast is now a Night card. How much of a difference does this make?  (Read 2368 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile

Question in title.

Part of the problem in Dominion Base Set v1 was that you often could have gotten a $5 card on your Feast turn regardless (e.g., if your $4 card were a Militia or Moneylender instead), but then you would get to keep your $4 card that you would've had instead of Feast on top of having your shiny $5 card, and spending a spare $3 on a Village or Silver is sort of not super great as a trade.  This problem would not be solved by making Feast into a Night card or giving it +1 Action.

But another part of the problem was that if you got Feast later in the game and drew it with Smithy, it's a dead card.

Artisan is really cool and flexible.  It sort of replaces Feast, even though the "gains a $5 card" similarity is overshadowed by massive differences.  It's a better card for overall game design for sure.  I love it.  But anyway, yeah.  Is Feast as a Night or Treasure card closer to being ok?  Or is it just not worth even revisiting regardless?
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile

It would honestly make little difference

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
+4

Isn't Changeling a Feast-variant? I have appreciated the card much more since somebody called it that anyway.
S

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
+10

Isn't Changeling a Feast-variant?

Oh, so that's what they do with the baby...
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile

Isn't Changeling a Feast-variant? I have appreciated the card much more since somebody called it that anyway.

Should've been in Update Pack 1... lol.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile

I thought Death Cart was.

If you gained Nightfeast to hand, it would become very popular.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile

Improve's mechanic would have been good for a card costing $4 as a feast variant.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
+1

Feast was a decent card in terms of power level. The fact that it guarantees a $5 turn as soon as you can draw it makes it a pretty good opening buy, especially when you want your $3 to be a card that doesn't contribute towards your economy or even contributes negatively in the short term. AFAIK it was only removed because it wasn't very interesting, not because it wasn't strong enough.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile

If you gained Nightfeast to hand, it would be exactly the same as a $4 Event that said "Gain a card costing up to $5."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

If you gained Nightfeast to hand, it would be exactly the same as a $4 Event that said "Gain a card costing up to $5."

It wouldn't be exactly the same. Not being an event means you could do the trick where you buy a Feast to gain a card that you want but whose pile you don't want to lower for your opponent's turn, you couldn't normally use it more than 10 times during the game, you couldn't gain the card until after your buy phase is over, and you could gain it back from the trash with certain cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Dwhit

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile

Nightfeast gain to your hand would be less interesting than feast imo

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile

It wouldn't be exactly the same. Not being an event means you could do the trick where you buy a Feast to gain a card that you want but whose pile you don't want to lower for your opponent's turn, you couldn't normally use it more than 10 times during the game, you couldn't gain the card until after your buy phase is over, and you could gain it back from the trash with certain cards.
I think the main differences are gainers and pile-burning. Nightfeast as a card allows you, for at least the first 10 times Workshop variants are played, to gain a $5. Furthermore you could burn through the entire Nightfeast pile whenever you hit $4.
That's obviously even more crazy than the already pretty crazy Event which allows you to ignore the crucial price threshold of the game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.