Author Topic: ...  (Read 12210 times)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:52:26 am »
+7

<b>Coming soon: IsoDom Challenge, a seven week, non-elimination Isotropic Dominion Tournament</b>

I am currently in the planning stages for the next IsoDom event, and I am seeking input from the community re: viability, entertainment value and fair-play.

Roughly, what I'd like to organize is a 28-man tournament, split into four groups of seven by seed.  The main tournament will take place over the course of six weeks, with each player having a weekly five- or seven-game match against one player in the same group.  There will be no eliminations; instead, points will be tallied as follows: Two for a win, one for a tie, zero for a loss.  Every week will bring a new match against a different player, culminating in a final four-player match between group winners to determine the tournament winner.  The group winners will be determined by overall point standing, with an undecided tie-break scenerio.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:17:57 am by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:09:33 am »

I find this viable, entertaining and fair!

No really, this sounds nice. As always, I'd much prefer the tournament to have a faster playing schedule, since I feel a week to play a match is like 5 days too much. Aren't we all addicts, anyway? Other than that, I like it. Just make the final a 5/7/15+ (seriously, 15+ games would be awesome!) game ordeal; playing just one 4 player game to determine the winner sounds ridiculous.

Edit: And at least 7 games per opponent please.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:31:07 am by Fabian »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:27:28 am »

This is cool, I like it a lot!

I kind of agree with Fabian on the point with tighter schedules. I think it would be possible for us to find 28 players that are willing to put other things in life on hold to play Dominion.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 04:46:03 am »

I mean, if it were up to me, this would be over in a weekend. Saturday you play 28 games, Sunday you play 21 and possibly another ~15 in the finals. That's like, what, 4-5 hours a day? That's nothing compared to the tournaments I'm used to playing :)

Actually, having a tournament like that every weekend would be sweet :)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:51:09 am »

One word: multi...player

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 04:57:47 am »
+1

The concept of a multiplayer tournament is awesome to me, fwiw. I need to get better at 4p games; playing a bit in a live league here in Stockholm has shown me that I'm basically awful. If I'm to steal the Nationals title from Lekkit, I need to get better at it :)

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 05:11:58 am »

I like the general idea of having kind of a group stage at first.
However, if the group stage comprises 2 player matches only, then the final(s) should be 2 player matches, too, I think. The more games I play with 3/4 players, the more I think it's really different (as you can see when Fabian says, he is 'awful' which he's not in 2 player matches - whatever this 'awful' means to him). So I'd either have 2 and 3/4 player games mixed from the beginning of the competition or not at all.

Whatever you decide to do - count me in, I'm willing to try it again.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 05:39:46 am »

Being someone who started out as a 4+player-player, I like the idea of playing more players in a single game. The problem arises when four players from four different time zones to tries to find a time where they can set a few hours aside.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:41:30 am »

Where do I sign up?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 09:24:26 am »

I must say, I really like the idea of seeing 4 elite players duke it out in a series of 4-player games to determine the winner.  Maybe play 8 games in the final and score them something like 5,3,1,0 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place respectively.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 09:48:12 am »

I must say, I really like the idea of seeing 4 elite players duke it out in a series of 4-player games to determine the winner.  Maybe play 8 games in the final and score them something like 5,3,1,0 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place respectively.

Hey, this is quite a nice system... After 8 games, there could obv be a tie (like 5,5,4,4), but is there any way a tied position after game 8 could still be a tie after game 9?

:D PUZZLE!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 09:53:36 am »

Hey, this is quite a nice system... After 8 games, there could obv be a tie (like 5,5,4,4), but is there any way a tied position after game 8 could still be a tie after game 9?

Hmmm... that's an interesting question.  I said 8 games just because I was thinking more along the lines of each person having 2 games at each seating position, but I don't know how that would be implemented on iso (perhaps the official version could remedy that).  With any number of games not divisible by 4, there would be an unequal distribution of seating.  But I suppose that would matter if seating for the game was determined solely on place in the last game.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 10:30:45 am »
+1

i like the group play idea a lot. barring any huge changes you can count me in again.  my two cents...

- i both agree and disagree with fabian.  on the one hand, one week is often 5 days too many.  on the other hand, it can be very difficult to match schedules with someone in just a week for 6 weeks straight. this is especially the case for us/european matchups or for someone with an odd busy week. i would propose that instead of a fixed one week schedule we instead just make it say an open month to get your matches played.  that way you can play multiple sets per week if time allows, and if you are busy you can take a pass. this could also allow you to bump the matchups a little higher than 5/7 games. 
- a 4p title set sounds fun, but i think that it would be difficult to organize 4 players to play 8+ games at a time.  how about a compromise of sorts between a 4p matchup and head to head?  why not do another quick group play of 3(?) games of the group winners.  use the resulting seeds to determine table placements for the 4p final round.  then make that final the first to n wins.
- i don't always participate in the creation myself, but i like the idea of using predetermined kingdoms.  i would like to see that again in the final. 
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 10:36:44 am »

I think if you do this multiplayer then you need to set times people have to be available from the start. (possibly have a timezone split?)

And if people cant make those times..tough
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 10:41:29 am »

4-player with the entire community is going to be very hard to organise. I'd propose a 3-player tournament for each time zone. Then the winners of each zone play each other, but are given much more time to arrange the match.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 10:51:57 am »

Time zones mean between close-to-nothing, to nothing, imo. Different people have different demands on their times, which definitely don't necessarily correspond to their time zone.

The fixed X days to get Y matches done still meets the same problem in my mind, that X days will probably be too long. I really feel like you could easily gather people who could schedule something much more easily. A long tournament might also mean a tournament which doesn't conclude, as I'm sure you're aware.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 11:09:01 am »

Time zones mean between close-to-nothing, to nothing, imo. Different people have different demands on their times, which definitely don't necessarily correspond to their time zone.

The fixed X days to get Y matches done still meets the same problem in my mind, that X days will probably be too long. I really feel like you could easily gather people who could schedule something much more easily. A long tournament might also mean a tournament which doesn't conclude, as I'm sure you're aware.

time zones mean nothing for you maybe, but i would hesitate to extend that to the community at large. i am not sure what the demographics of students vs employed is on isotropic, but any american with a regular full time job is going to have some degree of trouble with a european matchup.  a lot of us are hardcore, but that doesn't always mean we are playing 24/7.  i play a lot, but i play almost exclusively in the same time frame each night.

if my idea of trimming from 6 weeks to 3/4 is still too long for you than i think it might be too hard to appease you. i understand we all want a fast moving tournament, but we need to be reasonable. we have a wide demographic of players to appease.

yes, i am sure you could gather people for easy scheduling, it is called playing with friends.  i play regularly with a few friends and we have a great time.  but if you want a variety of quality competition and an intriguing format i am afraid you will have to make some concessions somewhere.  and of course, there is nothing stopping you from putting together your own tournament. or playing more than the allotted set with a tournament opponent. or setting up your own matchups.  if you want to play a ten game set against me sometime i would love to do it.

momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 12:56:24 pm »

I really like MMM's idea for the tournament with the group rounds beforehand and I tend to echo greatexpectation's concerns with regards to people's calls for less time for games (employed people and time zone differences make that time necessary).

I'm not sure about the idea for a big multiplayer game as the small first player advantage problem of 2 player tends to be compounded with the more players involved in the game. I enjoy playing 4 player socially, but I think it might be frustrating in a tournament.

Anyhow as, long as we stick with the originally proposed format for the time frame of the tournament I am excited to play in it regardless.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:48:45 pm by Jorbles »

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 01:07:04 pm »

I would love to participate, but I don't really have the most open schedule. I can already see scheduling-related stress...

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:09 pm »

Wow, my reasoning was completely off. A score like 5,5,4,4 would happen after 2 games, not 8. Weird..

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 01:25:49 pm »

The answer to the puzzle, by the way, is yes, game 9 can make for a tied position too.

Player
A 5 3 1 0  5 3 1 3  = 21
B 3 1 0 5  1 5 5 1  = 21
C 1 0 5 3  3 0 0 5  = 17
D 0 5 3 1  0 1 3 0  = 13

Game 9:
A 0 => 21
B 1 => 22
C 5 => 22
D 3 => 16

I haven't tried to figured out yet if there is a way to keep this tie-swap going on indefinitely. Might be we'll never know...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »

I tried it and you cant, you can do it every other round though of course
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 01:53:42 pm »

Okay, thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.

I have always run weekly rounds with the caveat that the next round begins early if everyone finishes early, and I would like to keep it that way.  Yes, I play quite a bit at times but I know I have a pretty full schedule with a full time job and a young son and there is no way I can commit every weekend to a marathon tournament schedule.  That is not to say it is a bad idea, just not one I can commit to.

I was hesitant to have a four-player finale because of the logistics of getting four people from across the world together for two or more hours, but I think it will be okay for the last match since delays would not set the rest of the tournament back.  I suppose I wasn't clear, but I meant to say the final would also be a series of games, not a single game.

A couple of more things to think about:  How to break a tie in points from the group round when trying to determine the group winner?  Also, as an added bit of flavor, I am considering having each round represent the evolving nature of the card pool by expansion using the card filter.  What I have in mind is that each round will be represented by a different expansion.  In the first round the players must require six random Base cards in every game, round two would require six random Intrigue cards, etc.  Thus the "Challenge" of IsoDom Challenge, mastering the different sets while weaving a common thread to all the matches played in any week without the somewhat predictability of predetermined kingdoms.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 01:55:18 pm »

Might be we'll never know...
[/quote]

teeheehee.. I hoped that would work :)

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 01:56:35 pm »

Might be we'll never know...

teeheehee.. I hoped that would work :)

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.839 seconds with 20 queries.