Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [Release] Dominion: Antiquities!  (Read 4976 times)

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
[Release] Dominion: Antiquities!
« on: November 15, 2018, 02:46:32 pm »
+9

Presenting the final version of Dominion: Antiquities -- a 27-Kingdom, 284 card fan expansion!!

Antiquities is the culmination of two years of testing and design, and features art from /u/janboruta!

Here's a google drive containing: 1) the Rulebook, 2) a simple Randomizer that I built, and 3) large image files for each of the cards.

You can also view the cards in their Imgur Library.

Quick note on the Randomizer:

There's three sets of three versions of the Randomizer.

1. A set of executables; These don't require Python, but you need to run them in a command prompt or Powershell. They spit out a list of cards to play in a Kingdom.
2. A set of .py scripts. If you have Python, you can run these in a command prompt. You can also modify them to add your own cards, remove expansions you don't have, add Promos, or change the logic altogether. The source is yours, do what you want!
3. A set of .txt files. Don't feel comfortable downloading .exe or .py files from some random guy on the internet? I get it. People tell me that .txt files are a lot safer to look at.

Each Randomizer set comes in three flavors:

1. AntiquitiesNoRen: Haven't got Renaissance yet? Me neither :( This will choose from all sets (no Promos) and Antiquities.
2. AntiquitiesWithRen: You're luckier than me and have Renaissance! This will choose from all published sets (no Promos) and Antiquities.
3. AntiquitiesConManMethod: This is the same as AntiquitiesWithRen but uses a version of f.ds user ConMan's method to randomize the inclusion of Colonies, Platinums, Shelters, and Boulder Traps.

The Randomizers are pretty basic. You have the source, so feel free to edit them to add features! I'll probably start a thread here dedicated to explaining how it works if anyone is interested.

Coming soon -- Antiquities on Tabletop Simulator!

What's next for Antiquities? I've printed a set of physical cards and should have them next week. Once I have them, or the TTS version is ready, I'll do a livestream or two showing them off.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:06:50 pm by Neirai the Forgiven »

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] Dominion: Antiquities!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 04:38:35 pm »
+1

Looks awesome, Neirai! The art is especially wonderful, so kudos to Jan Boruta.

The cards look like a lot of fun to play with. I do have some quibbles with the wordings on some of the cards, especially Mausoleum. I won't bore you with these quibble, though, unless you ask.

As someone trying to develop their own fan expansion, may I ask how you playtested your cards? I'm looking for any advice that can help me efficiently playtest my own cards.

All in all, great job!

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 05:58:33 pm »
+2

Looks awesome, Neirai! The art is especially wonderful, so kudos to Jan Boruta.

The cards look like a lot of fun to play with. I do have some quibbles with the wordings on some of the cards, especially Mausoleum. I won't bore you with these quibble, though, unless you ask.

As someone trying to develop their own fan expansion, may I ask how you playtested your cards? I'm looking for any advice that can help me efficiently playtest my own cards.

All in all, great job!

For sure! There are some wordings I regret. There also some wordings that might have liked to have new wordings that use Renaissance syntax. It's too late for me to change them (ordered physicals -- I *could* change the digitals but NO I WANT MY LIFE BACK) but for instance it occurred to me that Mausoleum should just have two separate "may" clauses instead of Choose one or both.

I did 3 phases of testing:
1) Played random sets of 10 Antiquities cards. This told me that the set was TERRIBLE.
2) Played through 2x sets of 5 random cards from a single Dominion sets + 5 random Antiquities cards. This helped me see what cards were doing wrong by comparing them to the base set.
3) Played random sets of everything that had random numbers of Dominion cards.
Then I did 1) again a few times. The set was a lot better then. Specifically at this point you want to keep an eye to time when you did 10

I used a few tricks sometimes. For example, if I wanted to know a card's power level relative to another card -- say, Mausoleum vs Hireling -- I'd play a Kingdom with 9 cards + Mausoleum and Hireling, with two players, and forbid one player from buying the Mausoleum, and one from buying the Hireling. See what happens. Note that this isn't a total test because perhaps Mausoleum is BROKEN when you can also by Hirelings. So you don't use this method all the time, but sometimes.

Primarily I tested this in 1v1 because I'm married but you also need to play with more players, 3 and 4 is a lot different, 6 is too, and you want to make sure it's fun with 6 too, but don't try to go for balance then. Just make sure your cards go around the table quick.

The other thing I did which is obvious I think since you're reading this here is, find a bunch of opinionated people who know Dominion better than you and have them tell you that your cards are bad, and why, over and over again, until they aren't nearly that bad anymore. That's the real only reason this set is any good.

Also, I read all of the interview with Donald X and all the Secret Histories while I was doing this.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 10:40:53 am »

Cards should get here early next week.

I'm so stressed about them :P I hope they're at least as good quality as my Adventures set :P

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:47:37 am »
+3

Cards have arrived! They're a bit more saturated than the real ones, so that's going to be a bit of a turn-off for some, but as fan cards go, they're very good. Pictures will be coming!

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 05:48:15 pm »

Cards have arrived! They're a bit more saturated than the real ones, so that's going to be a bit of a turn-off for some, but as fan cards go, they're very good. Pictures will be coming!

It will make up for how undersaturated some of the Renaissance cards are. :)

Can't wait to see some pictures!

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 01:17:01 pm »

Curio doesn't set aside the gained card before playing it (like Innovation). This means that you can trash it with Watchtower and play it from trash. Since Curio lost track of it, it would stay in trash. Or you could top-deck it with Royal Seal, Watchtower, Tracker, etc, and play it without moving it into play. Probably not what you want.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 04:58:24 pm »

Curio doesn't set aside the gained card before playing it (like Innovation). This means that you can trash it with Watchtower and play it from trash. Since Curio lost track of it, it would stay in trash. Or you could top-deck it with Royal Seal, Watchtower, Tracker, etc, and play it without moving it into play. Probably not what you want.

Too late! :)

:(

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 10:35:16 pm »

I’ve gotta say this. You have really outdone yourself. Your expansion looks like a real expansion you even have all the additional rules for each card. It’s just wow! Awesome expansion. I might be making 2 expansions but I’ll never make it as put together as yours is.

Give yourself a pat on the back.

Snake charmer, and shipwreck are probably my favorites.

And man I wish I had someone as talented as Jan boruta doing all the artwork.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:36:47 pm by ClouduHieh »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 04:21:30 am »

When you buy the last Duchy from Supply, do I...

shuffle this into Duchy's pile and reveal Discovery to gain it, Gold, and Duchy I bought?

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 06:30:51 pm »

Hi, sorry for the late reply; I was sick over Christmas and then, well, Christmas happened.

Okay, really I got Smash Ultimate for Christmas... you know how it goes.

Cloudu, thanks for your kind words! Good luck with your expansions :)

Majiponi, in accordance with the rulesheet, you do not shuffle a card into a pile if there are no cards remaining in the pile after the event that triggers the "shuffle into" occurs.
So specifically, if you buy the last Duchy from the Supply (when you have played Discovery) you do not shuffle this into Duchy's pile.
It's a bit weird and I waffled back and forth with it, but settled on this way as being somewhat harder to exploit.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 04:48:38 pm »

If I have 3 cost-reducers in play and I play a Curio, can I take and play the whole pile of Curios?

Also, the art is amazing.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 06:15:40 pm »

If I have 3 cost-reducers in play and I play a Curio, can I take and play the whole pile of Curios?

Also, the art is amazing.

Yes. I can't decide if that's a good play or not.

Thanks, Jan is really really good. I wish he'd send a portfolio to Jay at RGG already.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 04:17:46 pm »

Remember this?

Errata:
The "Memory mat" used by Mausoleum should be considered the Exile mat.

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 06:16:37 pm »
+1

Thanks for sharing your Python randomizer code.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 10:34:20 am »

Thanks for sharing your Python randomizer code.

There's actually a site for it, too:

https://dominion-randomizer.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/randomizer.html

I need to update it to handle Menagerie, though, as well as implement love and ban lists.

Note on my randomizer: you may notice (depending on the version you use) that I use some alternative ways of determining inclusion of stuff like Platinums + Colonies. This is partly because if you have all the sets (something I do irl, except Menagerie hasn't arrived yet) then you will find that the probability of getting Platinums and Colonies is pretty bad.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:37:47 am by Neirai the Forgiven »

jasonr1023

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 11:08:18 am »

Where did you send the cards to get printed?
Where did you get an image of the back of the cards for the printer?
How much did printing cost?

Thanks!

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 03:15:25 am »

Do you have a video of gameplay with these cards? And what about the tabletop simulator?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.