Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Not enough cards with Border Guard  (Read 1170 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Not enough cards with Border Guard
« on: November 13, 2018, 01:07:05 pm »

I assume that if you don't have enough cards to reveal 2 (or 3 with Lantern), then you can't take Lantern or Horn?

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
Re: Not enough cards with Border Guard
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 01:18:06 pm »

That is the obvious interpretation for me.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 01:46:47 pm »

I think the wording on Lantern makes this less clear.

Border Guard by itself seems to suggest that you need to reveal 2 actions, because of the word "both". It's reasonable to see this as a different wording of "if you revealed 2 actions, take the Lantern or Horn."

However, Lantern says "it takes all 3" in parenthesis; which suggests that it's not a rule change but an explanation. If "it takes all 3" is indeed not intended to be a rule change, but a rules explanation, then that would suggest that Border Guard really means "if all revealed cards are actions".

So the 2 options as I see them:

1) Border Guard means to say "if you revealed 2 actions", and Lantern intends to say "Border Guard now says 'if you revealed 3 actions'". If this is the case, it seems wrong for that text to be in parenthesis.

2) Border Guard means to say "if all revealed cards were actions". This is consistent with the way Lantern suggests, but it doesn't seem likely that it's the intent.

*Edit*

Lantern reminds me of Experiment here. Lantern tells us that it takes all 3 being actions, but it doesn't tell us why that's the case. Like how Experiment tells us that the second one doesn't come with another, but it doesn't explain why that's the case. So why does it take all 3 being actions? Is it because Lantern has secretly introduced another wording change to Border Guard that's not specified? Or is it because Border Guard was always "all" and not "both"?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 01:57:16 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 05:33:18 pm »
+2

If you don't have 2 cards to reveal for Border Guard, you may never take an Artifact.

If you have the Lantern and don't have 3 cards for Border Guard, you may not take the Horn.

The text tried to make this really clear, but I guess that didn't work out.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 06:00:18 pm »
+2

However, Lantern says "it takes all 3" in parenthesis; which suggests that it's not a rule change but an explanation.

Parenthesis doesn't necessarily mean that it's just an explanation. Look at Prince, or even Bureaucrat. Without the text in parenthesis, those cards would work differently.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.