Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Aggressive Reserve cards?  (Read 1258 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Aggressive Reserve cards?
« on: November 12, 2018, 10:21:30 am »

Following on from this mini-discussion, the idea of a Reserve Attack continues to intrigue me. How might that happen?

As I said there, the most obvious thing would be the Wine Merchant trick: a really strong attack which then went in Reserve and cost you something to get back.

Another possibility would be a "Put this on your tavern mat. At the start of your turn you may call it. When you play or call this..." thing. That would mean it was an "Attack" when played, but not when called. My instinct is that this would be an issue, but then again Noble Brigand got made.

Or maybe a nasty attack that is its own defence: "[Evil stuff].Put this on your tavern mat. -- During your clean-up phase, you may discard this from your Tavern mat. -- While this is in reserve, when another player plays [one of these], it doesn't affect you." Whether or not to keep it in reserve could be an interestingly difficult decision.

Though I started out thinking about how a card might have both the Attack and Reserve types, Donald X later in the thread said "Yes, it would be confusing if calling a card hurt the other players."

So... what about cards that aren't attacks, but hurt other players when called?

My first thought is a "+1 Action. Put this on your Tavern mat. -- When you would gain a card, you may call this. If you do, the current player gains it instead." Is this actually a workable version of the oft-discussed defence which turns an attack back on the attacker? (One key point is that the attacker could see in advance what they were up against; another is that it looks uncommonly intuitive and free from nasty corner cases.)

Thoughts?

Has anyone put work into this area before, that Google isn't finding for me?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Aggressive Reserve cards?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 10:52:16 am »
+1

Or maybe a nasty attack that is its own defence: "[Evil stuff].Put this on your tavern mat. -- During your clean-up phase, you may discard this from your Tavern mat. -- While this is in reserve, when another player plays [one of these], it doesn't affect you." Whether or not to keep it in reserve could be an interestingly difficult decision.
Meh. The most common result seems that both players get one, then one player gets to attack once and then both players are protected for the rest of the game. I'm not convinced that calling this is an interesting decision when you could just buy another copy and still be protected.

So... what about cards that aren't attacks, but hurt other players when called?
I don't think people are generally fans of unblockable attacks that aren't Attacks.

My first thought is a "+1 Action. Put this on your Tavern mat. -- When you would gain a card, you may call this. If you do, the current player gains it instead." Is this actually a workable version of the oft-discussed defence which turns an attack back on the attacker? (One key point is that the attacker could see in advance what they were up against; another is that it looks uncommonly intuitive and free from nasty corner cases.)
This particular idea is completely useless without attacks, and I suspect too weak to matter even with them. You could give it some extra effect on play, but if that's good then that just punishes your opponent doubly for attacking you, since now you also get to play your amazing card again. Come think of it, a 1-shot that you can retrieve when being attacked might be somewhat interesting, without the whole hurt the other player stuff.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 11:28:24 am »

Ambush
$3(?)

+1 Action
+1 Card
Set aside a card from your hand face down.
When another player buys a copy of the set-aside card, you may call this to return the set-aside card to your hand, that player gains a curse.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 04:56:26 pm »

Ambush
$3(?)

+1 Action
+1 Card
Set aside a card from your hand face down.
When another player buys a copy of the set-aside card, you may call this to return the set-aside card to your hand, that player gains a curse.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it would be worth it often to gain a good card, then remove it from your deck in the hopes that they'll buy a copy of it soon. Also, it might be difficult to remember the cards you set aside if you play a whole bunch of these.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 05:16:07 pm »

Another possibility would be a "Put this on your tavern mat. At the start of your turn you may call it. When you play or call this..." thing. That would mean it was an "Attack" when played, but not when called. My instinct is that this would be an issue, but then again Noble Brigand got made.
Remembering that to defend against an on-call Attack you'd actually need to have the protection in place when it's played. Which means that it would make sense to have some kind of set-up happen when you play the card, and the on-call effect just triggers whatever was set up (e.g. "Each other player takes their <blah> token. Put this on your tavern mat. / <At some point>, you may call this, to make each player with their <blah> token <do a thing>.")

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 07:57:11 pm »

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it would be worth it often to gain a good card, then remove it from your deck in the hopes that they'll buy a copy of it soon. Also, it might be difficult to remember the cards you set aside if you play a whole bunch of these.
An alternative: a Reserve that you put on your Tavern mat with a card from the Supply on it. When someone gains a copy of it, you gain the card and trash the Reserve. It would likely have to be a non-Victory card.

Trouble is, it would be more natural to set that aside somewhere else, like Prince, rather than make it be a Reserve.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 12:12:41 am »

How’s this?

The elk mount will be on my snowline thread.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.