Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pirate Ship + Capitalism  (Read 1911 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Pirate Ship + Capitalism
« on: November 08, 2018, 02:15:16 pm »
+9

We have a whole thread for Capitalism combos, but I'm especially interested in this one... my instinct says that this will be dominating in most games with both of these cards. First off because playing multiple Pirate Ships without needing village support is good. But especially because you can trash your opponent's Pirate Ships with yours. As well as any other virtual coin they have... and Virtual Coin is generally strongest in Pirate Ship games.

So it seems like these games will play out a lot like Knights... except that you don't lose your Pirate Ships when they hit other Pirate Ships! So one player will always have at least one remaining at the end. Will these games just be a race to get the most Pirate Ships, and then hope that you hit your opponent's Pirate Ships more than they hit yours?

There's still some interesting questions of when do you buy Capitalism... probably with your very first , but could it be better to wait until Pirate Ships are gone?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Ship + Capitalism
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:45:23 pm »

It seems pretty damaging, but certain strategies could probably do really well against it. Maybe a coffers-heavy strategy, or something like Lurker/Hunting Grounds. I imagine you'd want to get Capitalism pretty fast to stop terminal collision.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 04:37:26 pm »
+1

You can see it in two games in the cage match RTT and markus played:

In one game, markus went for Pirate Ships while RTT built village/Torturer (cards Pirate Ship could not trash). RTT got some Pirate Ships near the end, when markus conceded. He'd eaten some treasures and a Treasurer.

In the other, no-one got Capitalism or Pirate Ship. Tournament, Vampire, and Sentry were key cards. RTT got to open with Sentry; markus Banquet'd for it. I guess there was also Guardian making Pirate Ship less attractive.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 04:38:54 pm »

I'm going to say this will win an annoying amount of games, but will still be worse than not. However I will concede that this has the extra annoying effect of killing non-Treasure payload, which was often a classic counter. On the other hand, Pirate Ships can also die to Pirate Ships! Oh no...
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 05:19:46 am »
+1

Yes,those were not the best boards for Pirate Ship/Capitalism. I tried to go for the rather simple thing on one and it didn't work. Treasurer makes it actually worse there because opponent can gain back the Treasures from trash (and all Treasurers at the same time).

Guardian shut it down on the other board. Small sample of course and I guess it will be more relevant on other boards - compare to Knights maybe.

The scary thing in general is that all your economy becomes vulnerable. But if you go heavily for Pirate Ships, you'll still first thin the opponent's Coppers.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 12:24:31 pm »
+17

This may rival Scheme-Conspirator as my new favorite combo flavor-wise:

"Arr, it was a sorry voyage. We went out searching for Treasure, but found naught but a couple of Merchant Ships, and came home empty-handed."
"Why didn't you just capture the Merchant Ships?"
"Ye grogswilling landlubber! We were seeking Treasure, not some ships."
"Yes, but you could sell the ships and their cargo for good money. Anything profitable can be a Treasure on the open market."
"Eh? Just what ye be a-saying, lad?"
"Treasure isn't just things like Silver or Gold. Literally anything can be a Treasure as long as you can make money off of it. That's just basic Capitalism."
"Arrggg! Shiver me timbers and hoist me mainstay! Ya hear that, ya lily-livered bilge rats? Put down yer grog and get over here! This lad's gonna tell us all about this 'Capitalism.'"
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.