Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Renaissance Cards: Inventor  (Read 6288 times)

connorbr011

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: connorbr011
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Renaissance Cards: Inventor
« on: November 07, 2018, 01:56:55 pm »
+1

Inventor is probably my favorite card in all of Dominion.
  • How does this compare to Bridge?
  • Should it be used as a gainer or a megaturn enabler?
  • How does it compare to other Workshop variants?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:59:05 pm by connorbr011 »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Renaissance Cards: Inventor
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 02:10:54 pm »
+1

Based on my wealth of experience over the last almost 3 days, I can confidently say that this card is definitely pretty good in many respects, but weak in others. On certain boards, it has a significant advantage over Bridge, but it's hampered by certain key factors, especially on unfavourable boards. It can be used as a gainer, and your second Inventor can gain you a key . But one must not overlook the potential for megaturns, with the possibility of multiple Province gains a potential prospect on supporting boards. As a Workshop variant, it is better than the original Workshop, but unique in comparison to variants such as Ironworks and Engineer. They all have particular niches and within them their strength needs to be re-evaluated, likely to a significant extent. An inability to play more than one inventor will likely be a major factor against this card, although, depending on the kingdom, certain decks could be strengthened with the addition of one or possibly more inventors.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 02:14:31 pm »

It needs support, and in Modern Dominion it almost always has this support. It's still worse than Bridge though.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:14:59 pm »

1) Favorably.
2) Yes.
3) Favorably.

Granted, I have mostly been playing Renaissance only boards since the release, but Inventor has been bought and has turned out to be very strong in almost every game it has been in.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 02:21:47 pm »
+2

It needs support, and in Modern Dominion it almost always has this support. It's still worse than Bridge though.

I dunno, combining cost reduction with gain-and-play capabilities makes Inventor potentially a more valuable asset than Bridge when you have control of your deck. Things can get crazy when you start gaining Inventors with other Inventors, and then you draw those Inventors and play them, and soon enough you can gain Provinces with the Inventors on top of buying Provinces.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 02:26:33 pm »

I dunno, combining cost reduction with gain-and-play capabilities makes Inventor potentially a more valuable asset than Bridge when you have control of your deck. Things can get crazy when you start gaining Inventors with other Inventors, and then you draw those Inventors and play them, and soon enough you can gain Provinces with the Inventors on top of buying Provinces.

Yeah, but muh B-Bridge
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 02:33:16 pm »
+1

Yeah, but muh B-Bridge

Inventor is at least as strong of a megaturn enabler as Bridge, that can act as a Workshop or Artisan variant instead if necessary. Oh, and the cards you gain with it are ALSO PROMPT (if you can draw your deck).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

connorbr011

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: connorbr011
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 03:53:57 pm »

So Inventor is stronger than Bridge because it's more versatile? For example, in a kingdom with no villages, I'd be more likely to pick up Inventor than Bridge because at least Inventor is a Workshop in that scenario.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 04:05:19 pm »

So Inventor is stronger than Bridge because it's more versatile? For example, in a kingdom with no villages, I'd be more likely to pick up Inventor than Bridge because at least Inventor is a Workshop in that scenario.

Yeah, you could say that. Maybe it's not a great idea to buy Workshop in a kingdom with no villages though.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 04:08:06 pm »
+2

In my limited experience, inventor is better than bridge in general. I will say that bridge is better during the megaturn itself, since you need to play more inventors to drain provinces, but inventor is very good as accelerating your deck, particularly with any overdraw. But I imagine a lot of inventor decks are unlikely to actually make it to the magaturn before piles run.

The ability to gain 5+ cost cards off a workshop is rare and powerful. University costs a potion and cant gain itself. Artisan is a 6 cost and can't usually gain itself. Vampire costs 5 and can only be played every other shuffle and cant gain itself.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 11:05:19 am »
+2

Yeah, but muh B-Bridge

Inventor is at least as strong of a megaturn enabler as Bridge, that can act as a Workshop or Artisan variant instead if necessary. Oh, and the cards you gain with it are ALSO PROMPT (if you can draw your deck).

Huh, "prompt" is actually a pretty useful word to borrow from Prismata.

Inventor is strong for similar reasons as Bridge Troll, namely you need fewer copies from them in your deck at the start of the turn to kick off the mega turn (but you still need more actions to play all the inventors than you need to play all Bridge Trolls not already in play).

The biggest benefit of Bridge over Inventor is that you can open with it as a terminal Silver hoping to hit $5, and then hey you already have this useful card in your deck for the rest of the game. Also, Bridge works better with exorbitant amounts of coin.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 04:45:35 pm »

- It is easier to gain cards with this then with Bridge. For example if you have two in play you gain a 4 and a 5. That's great for build-up.
- Even if you get 5 into play, only the last one will net you a Province. 5 Bridges on the other hand can gain quite some Provinces.
- The only issue it has is that it is, unlike e.g. Ironworks, non-terminal, so it needs decent village support

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 05:48:37 am »
+1

I just realized that Inventor has reversed the recent mantra of "cost-reducing effects go below the line" set by Highway and Bridge Troll. I suppose it needs to in order to not reduce costs before gaining, but then again it could have just said "up to $3".
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 05:56:33 am »

I just realized that Inventor has reversed the recent mantra of "cost-reducing effects go below the line" set by Highway and Bridge Troll. I suppose it needs to in order to not reduce costs before gaining, but then again it could have just said "up to $3".
I decided that "while this is in play" was more confusing than "this turn."

Dwhit

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 04:58:29 pm »

If I thrown room my inventor I get a $4 cost card and a $5 cost card correct?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 05:36:04 pm »

Yes.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 05:48:58 am »

Well, up to $4 and $5 respectively. You can still pick a cheaper card if you like.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 05:13:03 pm »
+1

Well, up to $4 and $5 respectively. You can still pick a cheaper card if you like.

I just had a game with Innovation, Citadel, and Inventor and something odd happened.  I played Inventor.  I got to gain a card costing up to 4, which was another Inventor. Gaining that Inventor triggered Innovation, so I played my second Inventor, but costs hadn't been reduced yet.  I'm guessing it's because the first inventor was still in the process of being played? I'm not 100% sure on the order of things, but I do know that I had 3 plays of Inventors.  For the first play, things cost the normal amount.  On the second play, things still cost the normal amount, which surprised me when it happened.  On the third play, things cost 2 less than usual.

Typing this out actually helped me figure out what happened.  Thanks for letting me think out loud.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 05:39:03 pm »
+1

It plays nicely with the Night gainers from Nocturne. One Inventor allows your Devil’s Workshop to gain Duchies and your Vampires to gain Grand Markets and such.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 06:35:07 pm »
+6

I just had a game with Innovation, Citadel, and Inventor and something odd happened.  I played Inventor.  I got to gain a card costing up to 4, which was another Inventor. Gaining that Inventor triggered Innovation, so I played my second Inventor, but costs hadn't been reduced yet.  I'm guessing it's because the first inventor was still in the process of being played? I'm not 100% sure on the order of things, but I do know that I had 3 plays of Inventors.  For the first play, things cost the normal amount.  On the second play, things still cost the normal amount, which surprised me when it happened.  On the third play, things cost 2 less than usual.

Typing this out actually helped me figure out what happened.  Thanks for letting me think out loud.
I think it's the same as the rule for when Sewers triggers when you play a Priest - you haven't reached the second part of the card, so you don't get that extra benefit.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 08:39:31 am »

Seriously, it's getting up to my top ten most powerful cards. It's always useful, in so many ways. And it can indeed megaturn pretty easily, although not by emptying the province pile, but pretty much everything else..
S

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 09:03:49 am »

It plays nicely with the Night gainers from Nocturne. One Inventor allows your Devil’s Workshop to gain Duchies and your Vampires to gain Grand Markets and such.

The Devil's Workshop trick is of course only if you don't buy anything (or play any other gainers), so the utility is really limited.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 10:17:32 am »
+1

The Devil's Workshop trick is of course only if you don't buy anything (or play any other gainers), so the utility is really limited.

That's the worst thing about Devil's Workshop: it doesn't work like Ironworks when you really want Ironworks for stuff that is not Imp.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.