Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: kieranmillar's Rated Games  (Read 4007 times)

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
kieranmillar's Rated Games
« on: November 05, 2018, 06:26:12 pm »
+7

Hey all,

I decided I wanted to record some of my Dominion games, so here's the first one. I got into Dominion back in the day of WanderingWinder's quick games, so wanted to try and replicate that here. I wasn't really prepared for the new world of live commentary, and in hindsight said little of interest and played a bit too quickly. I didn't even properly look over the kingdom before starting this match!

I have no planned schedule for these as I play on an irregular basis as it is. Any feedback appreciated! I hope you enjoy.

EDIT: This page was taking so long to load so many embedded videos, that I've replaced all the videos with a link to my playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjmQA_pi2AYQ-ErmXp255m8zIEtEltNi9
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 04:51:32 am by kieranmillar »

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
Re: kieranmillar's Rated Games
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 06:20:42 pm »
+1

Finally found the right time to record another match. Trying to do a bit more analysis, here I completely misread the board initially but then end up doing a completely different strategy anyway that happened to be the right thing to do. For some reason I feel really under pressure when recording these, but I'm sure I'll get used to that in time.

Game 2

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 04:51:42 am by kieranmillar »

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 06:37:39 pm »
+2

Finally found the right time to record another match. Trying to do a bit more analysis, here I completely misread the board initially but then end up doing a completely different strategy anyway that happened to be the right thing to do. For some reason I feel really under pressure when recording these, but I'm sure I'll get used to that in time.

It was a bit of a laugh when you scanned the board and like "..and there's keep" in a whatever-tone. My first glance on it was at once "oh man, this keep-board is cwazy!1!", but well, in the end you played it as you should. Mountebank is completely nulled on most keepboards. Free copperwin? well thankyou!

I have liked both of your videos, I'm not sure why, but there is something in your narrating that is more catching than with other videos I have tried watching. Maybe is the shorter format or something, but it's good. I hope you'll find time to do more and please take your time to analyze the board more thourough if you like, that's often the most enjoyable part as a viewer. No need to feel pressure, these things are not for "showoff" or anything and in any case it can be soothing too see good players screw up sometimes as well so who cares. 

Keep it up :)

Edit: Another suggestion could be to summarize the game after you're finished. Did it went as you thought? Could you catch any mistake on your part, could you spot anything your opponent did better/worse than you and so on. It's a little abrupt as it is now, I might think.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 06:43:42 pm by Simon Jester »
S

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 03:29:36 pm »
+1

It was a bit of a laugh when you scanned the board and like "..and there's keep" in a whatever-tone. My first glance on it was at once "oh man, this keep-board is cwazy!1!", but well, in the end you played it as you should. Mountebank is completely nulled on most keepboards. Free copperwin? well thankyou!

I have liked both of your videos, I'm not sure why, but there is something in your narrating that is more catching than with other videos I have tried watching. Maybe is the shorter format or something, but it's good. I hope you'll find time to do more and please take your time to analyze the board more thourough if you like, that's often the most enjoyable part as a viewer. No need to feel pressure, these things are not for "showoff" or anything and in any case it can be soothing too see good players screw up sometimes as well so who cares. 

Keep it up :)

Edit: Another suggestion could be to summarize the game after you're finished. Did it went as you thought? Could you catch any mistake on your part, could you spot anything your opponent did better/worse than you and so on. It's a little abrupt as it is now, I might think.
Thanks, I'm glad you're liking my videos. I think I was feeling rushed out of some sense of not wanting to keep my opponent waiting while I essentially talk to myself, but perhaps I shouldn't feel this way. After all, if they're really impatient for another game, they can just leave and rejoin the queue. I also like the suggestion of giving a quick retrospective of my strategy at the end of the video, so I'll try to do that a bit more.

I recorded two more games with these in mind. Trying to go a bit slower at the start and end. There are two games because the first one was an absolutely terrible board, but the even worse turns I had was worth keeping it around for. In the second video there are actual interesting things happen for me to talk about.

Games 3 and 4

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 04:52:03 am by kieranmillar »

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 03:28:02 pm »

Two more games. I found myself utterly lost and confused in the second game, with a sort of non-engine board but no real good options but pure money still seemed bad. Any ideas what the right strategy would be for such a board?

Games 5 and 6

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 04:52:17 am by kieranmillar »

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 03:01:44 pm »

Games 7 - 60 were all posted with no other messages inbetween.

Here's one of my latest videos

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 05:56:38 pm by kieranmillar »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 20 queries.