Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Capitalism Questions  (Read 15464 times)

carrotcorn

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Capitalism Questions
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 02:40:42 am »

I LOVE the idea of the Capitalism Project, but I have so many questions about its execution that don’t seem to be answered in the rule book.

1. Does it add the Treasure type to an Action card (that would of course affect things like Courtier or Inheritance acting on Action cards) or replace its type, or is it merely played as a Treasure while retaining its type of Action?

2. Can this Project be used on conditional +$__ cards like Minion or Pawn? Or can it only be ones like Market that give you the +$__ no matter what?

3. I assume the other effects of the card don’t get played—because if they did, a Monument becomes a Plunder for $1 cheaper—but what happens to cards like Goons which have text below the line that affect what happens when it’s played?

1) It adds the type. You play it as a Treasure - Action.

2) It works on Minon and Pawn.

3) The other effects of the card do get played and Monument becomes a Plunder for $1 cheaper, and Goons also does its below-the-line effect.
hey, i know this is late but im still wondering what you mean by treasure-action. when we played we had a debate on whether or not capitalism allows one to utilize the perk in the action. so for example, if my friend has capitalism, does that mean during the buy phase and my friend has 6 mountebanks, does that mean my friend can use all 6 mountbanks as if they were used in the action phase? meaning not only will they have 12 coppers gained from the 6 mountebanks, but also give each player 6 curses and coppers, just like during the action phase.

any clarification would be great. thanks
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:43:14 am by carrotcorn »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 03:13:44 am »
+1

I LOVE the idea of the Capitalism Project, but I have so many questions about its execution that don’t seem to be answered in the rule book.

1. Does it add the Treasure type to an Action card (that would of course affect things like Courtier or Inheritance acting on Action cards) or replace its type, or is it merely played as a Treasure while retaining its type of Action?

2. Can this Project be used on conditional +$__ cards like Minion or Pawn? Or can it only be ones like Market that give you the +$__ no matter what?

3. I assume the other effects of the card don’t get played—because if they did, a Monument becomes a Plunder for $1 cheaper—but what happens to cards like Goons which have text below the line that affect what happens when it’s played?

1) It adds the type. You play it as a Treasure - Action.

2) It works on Minon and Pawn.

3) The other effects of the card do get played and Monument becomes a Plunder for $1 cheaper, and Goons also does its below-the-line effect.
hey, i know this is late but im still wondering what you mean by treasure-action. when we played we had a debate on whether or not capitalism allows one to utilize the perk in the action. so for example, if my friend has capitalism, does that mean during the buy phase and my friend has 6 mountebanks, does that mean my friend can use all 6 mountbanks as if they were used in the action phase? meaning not only will they have 12 coppers gained from the 6 mountebanks, but also give each player 6 curses and coppers, just like during the action phase.

1. You still play the Mountebanks, so they do everything they would normally do.
2. Playing a card that gives you +(Coin Symbol) does not make you gain Coppers or any other Treasures. It increases the amount you can spend that turn. You might want to read up on that.

jonvs

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonvs
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 03:46:20 am »

You can’t play a card in the Action phase and then again in the Buy phase, but when you keep it until the buy phase and use it as a Treasure because you’ve bought Capitalism, then yes, all of its other effects activate.

In your example, if you had Capitalism activated, you could play all six Mountebanks in your buy phase (as Treasures), and the cursing would happen 6 times as well.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:02:45 am by jonvs »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 04:16:58 am »
+1

You can’t play a card in the Action phase and then again in the Buy phase, but when you keep it until the buy phase and use it as a Treasure because you’ve bought Capitalism, then yes, all of its other effects activate.

In your example, if you had Capitalism activated, you could play all six Mountebanks in your buy phase (as Treasures), and the cursing would happen 6 times as well.

Regardless of what phase you play them in, you always play them as Action - Treasures. Playing an Action - Treasure in the Action phase costs an action, but playing an Action - Treasure in the buy phase doesn't, that's the only difference.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

carrotcorn

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 05:27:18 am »

yea thats exactly what my friend was doing, keeping the mountebanks until the buy phase to use as action treasures. the rest of us playing just thoight tjat couldnt possibly be the rules, but i guess it is. its just brutally op.

Thanks!

jonvs

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonvs
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 05:41:22 am »

It’s actually not quite as OP as it sounds, though it does bend the game enough to be really fun.

The main difference between Capitalism and no Capitalism is that you can play more of certain types of Action cards in your turns. Either way you still have to buy all the cards to play, so the effect isn’t all that massive. Also, it isn’t an ability like an Artifact that only one person could get; it’s relatively cheap so anyone can buy it.

Granted, there are some cards that become significantly more powerful with Capitalism (Poor House springs to mind, since you can play it after your treasures and get $4 for $1), but much of the time, the only effect is being able to play more Action cards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 06:23:00 am »

yea thats exactly what my friend was doing, keeping the mountebanks until the buy phase to use as action treasures. the rest of us playing just thoight tjat couldnt possibly be the rules, but i guess it is. its just brutally op.

Thanks!

Well, it's not really that OP. You could have bought a couple of Mountebanks and emptied the Curse pile into their deck before it got to that point.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 08:14:44 am »
+1

Thanks!
The issue here is that Mountebank is OP even in its normal form.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 08:54:14 am »

Well, it's not really that OP. You could have bought a couple of Mountebanks and emptied the Curse pile into their deck before it got to that point.
There was that one KC-Mountebank game where I was the only player who seemed to realise how brutal Mountebank was. I emptied the Copper pile into other players' decks as well before they three-piled on Estates in desperation before I'd finished buying all the Provinces.

Chapel was in the Kingdom; they thought Chapel would comfortably counter KC-Mountebank; they were wrong.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:13 am »

There was that one KC-Mountebank game where I was the only player who seemed to realise how brutal Mountebank was. I emptied the Copper pile into other players' decks as well before they three-piled on Estates in desperation before I'd finished buying all the Provinces.

Chapel was in the Kingdom; they thought Chapel would comfortably counter KC-Mountebank; they were wrong.

Cool game report.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.