Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Capitalism Questions  (Read 15462 times)

jonvs

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonvs
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Capitalism Questions
« on: November 05, 2018, 05:00:12 pm »
+2

I LOVE the idea of the Capitalism Project, but I have so many questions about its execution that don’t seem to be answered in the rule book.

1. Does it add the Treasure type to an Action card (that would of course affect things like Courtier or Inheritance acting on Action cards) or replace its type, or is it merely played as a Treasure while retaining its type of Action?

2. Can this Project be used on conditional +$__ cards like Minion or Pawn? Or can it only be ones like Market that give you the +$__ no matter what?

3. I assume the other effects of the card don’t get played—because if they did, a Monument becomes a Plunder for $1 cheaper—but what happens to cards like Goons which have text below the line that affect what happens when it’s played?

This changes so much!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Capitalism Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 05:06:10 pm »
+6

I LOVE the idea of the Capitalism Project, but I have so many questions about its execution that don’t seem to be answered in the rule book.

1. Does it add the Treasure type to an Action card (that would of course affect things like Courtier or Inheritance acting on Action cards) or replace its type, or is it merely played as a Treasure while retaining its type of Action?

2. Can this Project be used on conditional +$__ cards like Minion or Pawn? Or can it only be ones like Market that give you the +$__ no matter what?

3. I assume the other effects of the card don’t get played—because if they did, a Monument becomes a Plunder for $1 cheaper—but what happens to cards like Goons which have text below the line that affect what happens when it’s played?

1) It adds the type. You play it as a Treasure - Action.

2) It works on Minon and Pawn.

3) The other effects of the card do get played and Monument becomes a Plunder for $1 cheaper, and Goons also does its below-the-line effect.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 05:15:45 pm »
+4

Teacher refers to the “+ $1 Token” in its text. Does this count as a “+ $” amount, so is he a Treasure, when I own capitalism?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 05:19:14 pm »
+4

The trick to all of these questions is to simply interpret the wording literally, as written. It says that they are also Treasures; it doesn't change them in any other way. Monument does indeed still give you the +1, because there's nothing about the text of Capitalism that would imply it doesn't.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 05:43:56 pm »
+1

The trick to all of these questions is to simply interpret the wording literally, as written. It says that they are also Treasures; it doesn't change them in any other way. Monument does indeed still give you the +1, because there's nothing about the text of Capitalism that would imply it doesn't.

That's clear, but how is a “+ $ amount” defined? Is the “+ $ 1” in “+ $ 1 token” also a “+ $ amount”? This question specifically regards Teacher.

An interesting finding would be, if we look at the term “+ 1 Card”. The first version of Cellar had this, the new version has not. I wonder if there would be similar issues, for example if Pirate Ship would be reworded and lost its “+ $1” in the 3rd edition.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 05:51:44 pm »
+1

That's clear, but how is a “+ $ amount” defined? Is the “+ $ 1” in “+ $ 1 token” also a “+ $ amount”? This question specifically regards Teacher.

An interesting finding would be, if we look at the term “+ 1 Card”. The first version of Cellar had this, the new version has not. I wonder if there would be similar issues, for example if Pirate Ship would be reworded and lost its “+ $1” in the 3rd edition.

That's a fair question. In fact Salvager did change from being + to +; but fortunately both of those wordings qualify for Capitalism.

I feel pretty sure that "+ token" doesn't count as having a + amount; but indeed both Teacher and Market literally contain the text "+".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 06:09:07 pm »
+10

Teacher is affected by Capitalism. The same question came up for Dominion Online and Donald answered affirmative.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 08:56:04 pm »
+2

Teacher is affected by Capitalism. The same question came up for Dominion Online and Donald answered affirmative.

I'm surprised by this. Is the rule that Capitalism intends to simply look for any instance of "+" in the text (with any possible number in the coin of course)?

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 10:46:39 pm »
+2

Is the rule that Capitalism intends to simply look for any instance of "+" in the text?
This is not so much a rule as exactly what the Capitalism card-shaped object says in its text.
My opponent has more loot than me

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 11:15:50 pm »
+4

Is the rule that Capitalism intends to simply look for any instance of "+" in the text?
This is not so much a rule as exactly what the Capitalism card-shaped object says in its text.

Well not quite, it says it looks for "+ amounts". It's reasonable to interpret the "+ token" as simply a name of a token rather than being an "amount".

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 12:20:16 am »
+2

Well not quite, it says it looks for "+ amounts". It's reasonable to interpret the "+ token" as simply a name of a token rather than being an "amount".

There was some debate. I agree that the ruling is not obvious.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 12:55:58 am »
+11

Well, crap. It doesn't even stop at the education system!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 01:44:56 am »
+3

Well, looking for any literal instances of "+" does the best job of maintaining my sanity.

jonvs

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 01:58:11 am »
+1

Thanks, everyone!  :)

I just realised that because you can play Treasures in any order (which affects certain cards such as Bank), you could play all your Treasures before you play a Poor House, and suddenly a card that costs $1 is better than a Gold. A Copper and two Poor Houses, played in that order, could buy you a Province, so if you opened $5/$2 and your opponent didn’t, it could be a very short game.

(Suddenly I have the Smarties theme song in my head: “When you play your Treasures do you play the Poor House last?”) ;D

It’s one of those massive game-changers where I’m not sure if it’s going to be really fun or just broken and OP, haha.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 03:47:57 am »

Well, crap. It doesn't even stop at the education system!
Surprised? (only click if you have tolerance for out of key sung political diatribe in German).
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 11:55:39 am »
+4

I agree with GendoIkari here (that said, I am relatively new to the forums).

"+ amounts" semantically means: (optionally) produces money you can use this turn; Teacher doesn't do that. It specifically refers to a token, that happens to be called the + token.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:57:18 am by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Bearcat11

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 11:04:50 am »

Wouldn’t teacher realistically be giving you +1 coffers now that the lingo has changed?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 12:10:23 pm »
+1

Wouldn’t teacher realistically be giving you +1 coffers now that the lingo has changed?

+1 coffers replaced “take a coin token”. It does not replace “put your +$1 token on a pile”. Teacher does nothing with coffers (coin tokens).

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 12:22:16 pm »
+1

Well, you better hope that no foreign translation of Dominion made Coppersmith have Coppers produce "+$1" or called the "+$1" token just the "$1" token...

Dwhit

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 11:37:03 pm »

Does capitalism always make city a treasure? Or only once 2 piles are empty?

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 11:50:09 pm »
+1

It's always a treasure.

jonvs

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2018, 04:14:31 am »
+1

Yes, the card becomes a Treasure regardless of the circumstances. For example, you could play a Pawn in your buy phase for +1 Card and +1 Buy and not use the +$1. I’ve learned from playing Dominion Online that all Capitalism essentially does is let you play certain Action cards during your Buy phase.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 08:51:54 am »
+5

all Capitalism essentially does is let you play certain Action cards during your Buy phase.
That's not true, and potentially somewhat misleading. Capitalism makes those Action cards be Treasures for all purposes. You could buff them with Mine, duplicate them with Mint, discard them to Stables, gain them with Hero... whatever!

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 01:54:52 pm »
+3

That's not true, and potentially somewhat misleading. Capitalism makes those Action cards be Treasures for all purposes. You could buff them with Mine, duplicate them with Mint, discard them to Stables, gain them with Hero... whatever!
It even lets you play them twice with Crown!

jonvs

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 02:36:24 pm »

That's a good point. I shouldn't have been so hasty with my oversimplification there. Capitalism can actually get really complicated when, for example, you play a Black Market as a Treasure with Storyteller, play a bunch of other treasures for your Black Market selection, then try to figure out how many cards Storyteller should officially let you draw. ;D

It even lets you play them twice with Crown!
Nice. :)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.