Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Renaissance Initial Impressions  (Read 19053 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Initial Impressions
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2018, 09:40:43 pm »

Is Cathedral worth buying on a board with no extra gains? Because buying it turn 1 means you'll always have a 10-or-fewer-card deck.

Generally yes.

Really?

Wall

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1775
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2018, 10:59:13 pm »

Is Cathedral worth buying on a board with no extra gains? Because buying it turn 1 means you'll always have a 10-or-fewer-card deck.

Depends on the kingdom, but keep in mind that if there are junkers (extra gains, for your opponent!) not buying Cathedral may result in you having a large deck swamped with junk (and even with Cathedral you may end up at more than 10 cards).

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 01:29:42 am »
+2

Depends on the kingdom, but keep in mind that if there are junkers (extra gains, for your opponent!) not buying Cathedral may result in you having a large deck swamped with junk (and even with Cathedral you may end up at more than 10 cards).

I think "no extra gains" implies that no junking will happen.

Maybe getting Cathedral on say turn 6 and maintaining a 15-card deck would work?

I wonder if buying a junker, prompting your opponent to buy Cathedral, and then never using your junker will be a thing.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 03:42:12 am »

You can totally build a single-Province engine with 10 cards. I guess the only problem is that you will have to cannibalize engine parts after greening, but even then, it's possible.

The presence of Cathedral does weaken junking attacks to the extent that I probably wouldn't buy them.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2018, 10:02:21 am »

Generally yes.

Really?

The most recent time I played Renaissance games on ShiT, the approach I took with Cathedral was that I bought it turn 1 and then I took a look at the rest of the kingdom to decide what strategy I should go for. I regretted the Cathedral exactly 0 times out of several games it was in, and there was a game that my opponent resigned T1 because he had a 2/5, which was not entirely unreasonable.

This implies that I bought Cathedral without knowing whether or not there was any +buys or extra gains in the kingdom and never regretted it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2018, 10:27:55 am »
+2

Generally yes.

Really?

The most recent time I played Renaissance games on ShiT, the approach I took with Cathedral was that I bought it turn 1 and then I took a look at the rest of the kingdom to decide what strategy I should go for. I regretted the Cathedral exactly 0 times out of several games it was in, and there was a game that my opponent resigned T1 because he had a 2/5, which was not entirely unreasonable.

This implies that I bought Cathedral without knowing whether or not there was any +buys or extra gains in the kingdom and never regretted it.

But it doesn't tell us if you ever ended up in a game with no +buys or extra gains. And if you didn't, we don't know at all if you would have regretted it if you had.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2018, 02:40:31 pm »
+1

We got our physical copy of Dominion.

We played a game where the only "village" was Patron.  We couldn't build an engine out of it, but it seemed really effective for BM+terminal draw.  We realized that Patron eliminated the biggest drawback of terminal draw (drawing actions dead) since you could just spend a villager, play some cantrips, and get the villager back by ending with Patron.

I know I should have seen that coming, but this nonetheless surprised me.  Terminal draw plus cantrips!  A whole new type of deck!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.