Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inheritance + Capitalism, an irrelevant question.  (Read 1337 times)

avorian

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
Inheritance + Capitalism, an irrelevant question.
« on: November 05, 2018, 12:37:50 pm »
+1

Okay, so lets say you have inheritance and capitalism on a board. You inherit some action that fulfills the criteria of capitalism.

Your estates are now treasures. But why? Is it because they inherited the types of the set aside action which is a treasure, or because they are actions that have +coin in their text.

To get to the heart of it: is the text of the card part of the abilities inherited?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Re: Inheritance + Capitalism, an irrelevant question.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 12:58:57 pm »

Yes, your Estates gain the abilities and types of the card. "The abilities" means the instructions on the card.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 02:27:46 pm »

This isn't irrelevant; it matters for whether or not you can play your Estates int he buy phase as Treasures.

*Edit* Ah, I missed that it would Inherit the treasure type from the set-aside action. So yeah, it is irrelevant.

Per Jeebus's reply, do we know this? I can see it gong either way. Capitalism refers to a card's "text"; while Inheritance refers to the "abilities". We know that the text is what normally grants abilities; but in this case it is something different granting the abilities. Is "gains the abilities" literally "adding the text"?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:30:35 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 03:47:31 pm »

Per Jeebus's reply, do we know this? I can see it gong either way. Capitalism refers to a card's "text"; while Inheritance refers to the "abilities". We know that the text is what normally grants abilities; but in this case it is something different granting the abilities. Is "gains the abilities" literally "adding the text"?

Right, I see what you mean. I guess it isn't totally clear, but I would think that's the intention. Otherwise we have a new division, between a card's abilities and its text. It would certainly be cleaner if they are always the same thing.

On that note, I wonder why Capitalism says "with +$ amounts in their text" instead of "giving you +$". When I think about it, it makes a difference for a card like Salvager when you trash a $0 cost card.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 03:51:20 pm »
+1

Per Jeebus's reply, do we know this?
We know this.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 03:59:16 pm »

Right, I see what you mean. I guess it isn't totally clear, but I would think that's the intention. Otherwise we have a new division, between a card's abilities and its text. It would certainly be cleaner if they are always the same thing.

I'm cool with not having such a division, as stated in Donald's reply. Worth mentioning that MTG certainly does have such a division. Cards can gain abilities ("creatures you control have flying"), and this is functionally different from cards actually having the same text. A creature that has been given the ability "protection from black" won't be affected by Alter Reality, which changes the text of a card to replace one color word with another. But a creature that has "protection from black" printed on it would be.

Though the rules text on a card is a copyable value, meaning that when a card copies another card, it does actually get its text; it doesn't just get all of its abilities. This is pretty similar to what Inheritance does.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.