Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Renaissance rulebook is up  (Read 23852 times)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Renaissance rulebook is up
« on: November 05, 2018, 06:56:08 am »
+4

http://riograndegames.com/Game/1334-Dominion-Renaissance , click on 'Download Game Assets' in the top right.

I'm sad there's not that much first-order non-attack interaction and no alt-VP but overall it looks great, with a lot of thinking man's cards and emergent complexity. I'm getting a Dark Agy (Age-y?) feel with it. Patron may pose problems for non-English versions, though.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance rulebook is up
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 07:25:47 am »

Patron may pose problems for non-English versions, though.

This was exactly my thought when I read it.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 08:00:13 am »
+1

Technically both Lantern and Enchantress cause me to do something else than following the play instructions on a card. Do I get to choose the order, and does it make a difference?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:01:26 am »
+9

New cards:

Border Guard - - Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Put one into your hand and discard the other. If both were Actions, take the Lantern or Horn.
Horn - Articaft
Once per turn, when you discard a Border Guard from play, you may put it onto your deck.
Lantern - Artifact
Your Border Guards reveal 3 cards and discard 2. (It takes all 3 being Actions to take the Horn.)
Cargo Ship - - Action/Duration
+
Once this turn, when you gain a card, you may set it aside face up (on this). At the start of your next turn, put it into your hand.
Hideout - - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Trash a card from your hand. If it’s a Victory card, gain a Curse.
Improve - - Action
+
At the start of Clean-up, you may trash an Action card you would discard from play this turn, to gain a card costing exactly more than it.
Inventor -
Gain a card costing up to , then cards cost less this turn (but not less than ).
Lackeys - - Action
+2 Cards
-----------
When you gain this, +2 Villagers.
Old Witch - - Action/Attack
+3 Cards
Each other player gains a Curse and may trash a Curse from their hand.
Patron - - Action/Reaction
+1 Villager
+
-----------
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word “reveal”), +1 Coffers.
Research - - Action/Duration
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Per it costs, set aside a card from your deck face down (on this). At the start of your next turn, put those cards into your hand.
Scepter - - Treasure
When you play this, choose one: +; or replay an Action card you played this turn that’s still in play
Spices - - Treasuer
Worth
+1 Buy
-----------
When you gain this, +2 Coffers.

Projects:
Academy -
When you gain an Action card, +1 Villager
Barracks -
At the start of your turn, +1 Action
Canal -
During your turns, cards cost less, but not less than .
Capitalism -
During your turns, Actions with + amounts in their text are also Treasures.
Cathedral -
At the start of your turn, trash a card from your hand.
City Gate -
At the start of your turn, +1 Card, then put a card from your hand onto your deck.
Crop Rotation -
At the start of your turn, you may discard a Victory card for +2 Cards.
Exploration -
At the end of your Buy phase, if you didn’t buy any cards, +1 Coffers and +1 Villager.
Fleet -
After the game ends, there’s an extra round of turns just for players with this
Guildhall -
When you gain a Treasure, +1 Coffers.
Pageant -
At the end of your Buy phase, you may pay for +1 Coffers
Piazza -
At the start of your turn, reveal the top card of your deck. If it’s an Action, play it.
Road Network -
When another player gains a Victory card, +1 Card.
Sinister Plot -
At the start of your turn, add a token here, or remove your tokens here for +1 Card each.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 09:02:44 am »
+5

So Capitalism breaks everything? I think Donald X. is trying to tell us something...

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 09:06:54 am »
+1

The biggest surprise for me is Cathedral.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 09:19:59 am »

City Gate is a gimped Secret Passage, Silos looks so much better for one $ more. Exceptions like Vassal, Mystic, Sentry or Lookout apply.

Road Network is a staple in multiplayer games.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:21:01 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 09:22:22 am »
+1

I'm so pleased. Been waiting so long for that name to show up and was heartbroken when the only card to beat chapel in trashing-crazyness was named Donate. Now everything is good with the world again.

When it comes to names I'm a bit annoyed with Piazza, I associate the name with discard for coffers or at least something with +buy. This feels more like a Herald/throne room thing. Ah, well, that is details. At least it's probably not at risk at be confused with Plaza being a sideway card.
S

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 09:26:46 am »
+1

Technically both Lantern and Enchantress cause me to do something else than following the play instructions on a card. Do I get to choose the order, and does it make a difference?

Effectively, Enchantress supersedes Lantern. You’ll just get +1 Card and +1 Action.

RandomGuy804

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 09:29:30 am »

Cathedral/sewers... At the cost of your first two turns, you could gain the ability to trash two cards at the start of your turn.

Also, question: can you place multiple project cubes on the same project? If so, imagine two cubes on capitalism to turn actions into silvers.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 09:35:24 am »
+3

So Capitalism breaks everything? I think Donald X. is trying to tell us something...

From the guy who designed 12 expansions at $44.95 MSRP each?   ;D

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 09:35:59 am »

Also, question: can you place multiple project cubes on the same project? If so, imagine two cubes on capitalism to turn actions into silvers.
No, and also I'm not sure what the second part means.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 09:39:30 am »

Cathedral/sewers... At the cost of your first two turns, you could gain the ability to trash two cards at the start of your turn.

Who will be the first to lock themselves out of the game due to Cathedral? Did it happen to you, playtesters?

No, you can only put one cube on each project and not unbuy them so to speak.

But I don't get Capitalism (ugh, that's weird to say as a libertarian..). My impression was that you only get the +coins that it is stated on the action cards,not the play effect but many comments seem to believe that you will get them. The rulebook says: 

Any time you play an Action - Treasure card, it is both an Action and a Treasure, regardless of which phase it is. Getting +1 Action in your Buy phase does not let you play other Action cards then. Capitalism works on your turn, but affects cards everywhere; for example if you have Capitalism and play Bandit, you could trash another player's Improve, and it is not relevant if that player has Capitalism or not.

which is ambiguous to me. Treasures don't need actions to be played, why would +actions affect anything?
S

k1511asd

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: k1511asd
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 09:49:05 am »

What does patron do when revealed by Black Market? Does the player who play BM get the coffers?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 09:50:05 am »

What does patron do when revealed by Black Market? Does the player who play BM get the coffers?

Yes.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

RandomGuy804

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 09:52:35 am »

Reread the section about Capitalism, and now it makes sense.  (I was confused before I read it)

Thank you for the clarification.  At first I thought you could place both cubes on the same Project if you wanted.  With that in mind, I think games would be interesting if players only had one Project Cube to use, forcing you to choose between two potential projects.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +603
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 09:52:59 am »
+4

Treasures don't need actions to be played, why would +actions affect anything?
Market will become a treasure card, but Smithy won't. Playing Market in my buy phase will give me +1 Action, but that still won't let me play Smithy. The +Action will just (most of the time) be meaningless. That's what the rulebook is trying to clarify.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 09:54:35 am »

I think Lantern effectively modifies a "how many cards to reveal" property unique to Border Guard (whose default value is 2), and Border Guard's on-play instructions use that property. Where Enchantress says don't even follow the on-play instructions, so it doesn't matter what the value of that property is.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 10:04:25 am »
+2

I think Lantern effectively modifies a "how many cards to reveal" property unique to Border Guard (whose default value is 2), and Border Guard's on-play instructions use that property. Where Enchantress says don't even follow the on-play instructions, so it doesn't matter what the value of that property is.
I guess so, but to me it would have been cleaner if the Border Guard text had just by itself referenced Lantern - so: "reveal 2 plus 1 if you have Lantern". (which would have left Lantern as a textless Artefact, funnily enough).

RandomGuy804

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 10:13:23 am »

You're correct. 

Looking at the sets of 10, Donald really went all-out with the names for the sets.  My personal favorites are:

"Overture" and "Prelude" (Both being musical terms for an introductory theme that encompasses an entire theme)
"Capture the Flag" (Appropriate name for a flag which constantly moves from person to person.)
"Memento Mori" (Remember death indeed.)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 10:15:36 am »
+4

I'm so pleased. Been waiting so long for that name to show up and was heartbroken when the only card to beat chapel in trashing-crazyness was named Donate. Now everything is good with the world again.

When it comes to names I'm a bit annoyed with Piazza, I associate the name with discard for coffers or at least something with +buy. This feels more like a Herald/throne room thing. Ah, well, that is details. At least it's probably not at risk at be confused with Plaza being a sideway card.

I can't not read Piazza as pizza.

RandomGuy804

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 10:18:36 am »
+1

I also find "Hideout" to be an interesting card; it's a pseudo-village that penalizes victory card trashing.  What this means is that early game it's not that useful (unless you want to trash Coppers or received Curses), or... Wait, you can use Trader to trash Estates and turn them into Silvers.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 10:20:52 am »
+4

Some of the Teaser cards: Patron has "reveal" in quotations, Scepter, Capitalism, and Inovation let you play Actions in your Buy phase, Fleet gives players extra turns, and you can't turn off Cathedral.
I'm kind of dissapointed that Border Guard uses both Lantern and Horn, meaning that there are only four kingdom cards that use Artifacts. I hope he uses them again in another expansion.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 10:21:49 am »
+1

I also find "Hideout" to be an interesting card; it's a pseudo-village that penalizes victory card trashing.  What this means is that early game it's not that useful.
It's still useful, it just means that it will take an extra play to trash Estates (first play get a Curse, second play trash the Curse). It's an interesting question when it will be better to trash the Estates over Coppers.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 10:26:06 am »
+1

If Patron was Rats, then Rats could reveal it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 1.377 seconds with 21 queries.