Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Het Koninkrijk Dominion  (Read 2458 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Het Koninkrijk Dominion
« on: November 02, 2018, 04:49:38 pm »

I just randomly came across this item on BGG. From what I can tell, it's Dutch. I've seen discussion about Dutch Dominion around here, but no mention of this product (except in one thread that's written all in Dutch).

So... what exactly is this? It says it's an "introductory" version of Dominion; with only 16 different cards and 8 copies of each.

I'm curious about this. Which cards does it come with? Are there any rules changes; other than supplies having 8 copies instead of 10? Does it play 3-4 players? Why does this exist? Regular based Dominion is plenty simple enough; and if you want a simple-as-possible experience, you can choose simpler cards to use; choose not to use Witch or Moat if you don't want Curses and reactions.

I'm guessing that it doesn't contain Band of Misfits or Possession.  ;D
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: Het Koninkrijk Dominion
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 05:39:23 pm »
+1

I found this review in English on BGG and it lists some other rules changes, namely that you can't buy copper or estates and so the box doesn't come with more copies than are needed for starting hands.

The set has no cursers (and thus no curses), and no durations, reactions, or generally anything that could be rules-confusing at all. Taking out those extra cards makes this game pretty portable and cheap. Seems potentially valuable if you want to teach the game to young children or to friends you're vacationing with (but you could only bring a carry-on).

Complete card listing is: Library, Farming Village, Bridge, Cellar, Rabble, Harem, Sage, Crossroads, Steward, Vault, Smugglers, Militia, Remodel, Market, Mine and Mystic.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 05:49:11 pm »
+1

That's an odd collection of cards.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:04:53 pm »
+1

So... what exactly is this? It says it's an "introductory" version of Dominion; with only 16 different cards and 8 copies of each.
The Dutch company wanted to have a cheaper introductory Dominion product. I had done the work for Dominion itself back when - if this can't be 500 cards, what do you cut exactly - and so they did that stuff. We haggled over the card mix some - at one point they had Rebuild in their list.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 06:15:52 pm »
+5

We haggled over the card mix some - at one point they had Rebuild in their list.

Well, that card certainly makes games simpler...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 09:26:39 pm »
+1

Complete card listing is: Library, Farming Village, Bridge, Cellar, Rabble, Harem, Sage, Crossroads, Steward, Vault, Smugglers, Militia, Remodel, Market, Mine and Mystic.

Man, that is NOT what I would think of for "simple" cards. Like, you could have Village instead of Farming Village, Woodcutter instead of Bridge, Smithy instead of Library... and Harem isn't the card I'd include if wanting to teach it to younger children. Plus just the fact that it's a dual-type card, and a Kingdom Victory.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Shvegait

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 11:43:14 pm »
+3

Weird product!

It doesn't seem like the aim is the simplest cards, just a small set of cards that play well together, to give you a flavor of what Dominion is about. With such a small set of cards, it makes sense to include cards that do multiple things instead of just one thing. So you get Rabble instead of Smithy, Steward instead of Chapel, Farming Village instead of Village, Bridge instead of Woodcutter.

Also, there's no Moat, so the attacks need to have other counters. Even though Farming Village is basically Village, it can counter Rabble. And of course, Library counters Militia. There's non-attack interaction with Smugglers and Vault. Harem is the simplest alt-VP card there is, plus it works with Mine and Crossroads, and it might have more value in a world with no other alt-VP and not even Estates available. There's some logic in the card choices.

Seems like games would be pretty fast with this set and mostly money-ish. No Lab variants and a lot of terminals, the non-terminals are pretty expensive, relatively weak $5s. Engines will be tough to build given the very limited +Action and the need to use actions on draw, but you might try anyway if Bridge is out there.

Funny thing about Remodel. Because there are no Coppers, Curses, or Estates in the supply, if Cellar and Crossroads aren't in the kingdom, Remodel can be a straight Copper trasher. A weak one, but still.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 09:26:15 am »

Yup, they have this in my local boardgame store. As said, it's an introductory Dominion product with a sample of pre-existing kingdom cards. The main problem with this product is that if you've bought this and you buy a new product you're gonna get duplicate kingdom cards until you no longer need this product. (hence I don't have it.)

If I recall correctly it contains no Curses and only enough Estates/Coppers for everyone's starting hands. No kingdom Coppers/Curses/Estates. I'm not sure though so it would be nice if someone confirmed.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 06:09:22 pm »

If I recall correctly it contains no Curses and only enough Estates/Coppers for everyone's starting hands. No kingdom Coppers/Curses/Estates. I'm not sure though so it would be nice if someone confirmed.
I think that's correct.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 11:12:11 pm »

So how does this play with the 8 cards-per-pile? Especially in a 3-4 player game, it feels like the game would end quickly on a 3-pile. Are there any rule changes to address this?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 01:08:37 am »

So how does this play with the 8 cards-per-pile? Especially in a 3-4 player game, it feels like the game would end quickly on a 3-pile. Are there any rule changes to address this?
No other rules change. I briefly tried 8-card-piles years ago and it was fine. Dunno how it goes with today's experts.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 11:35:11 am »
+2

How soon until we get a Dominion set of just the 15 most complicated cards? Looking forward to picking up a set with Black Market, Crown, Inheritance, Capitalism, Page, Peasant, Vampire, and Possession.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 07:11:02 pm »

How soon until we get a Dominion set of just the 15 most complicated cards? Looking forward to picking up a set with Black Market, Crown, Inheritance, Capitalism, Page, Peasant, Vampire, and Possession.

Not to mention King's Court, Villa, Tournament, Overlord and Procession.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.