Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Jackpot  (Read 6498 times)

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Jackpot
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 04:38:43 am »

Edict mechanic from Asper. I wasn't planning on having any landscape cards originally, but then this silly idea came up, and I think having some when-you-shuffle Edicts could be cool. This was originally going in RBCI, but the more I thought about it, it might actually be fun to have a deck where your Treasure is constantly multiplying. Might lead to some nice TfB tricks, or a combo with a good Kingdom Treasure. What do you think?
This looks like a variant of Asper's Subventions. I like that you can copy powerful Treasures like Colony or Fortune but dislike that you are forced to take at least a Silver.

Not even with Capitalism Colony becomes a Treasure :/ (You mean Platinum most likely, but hey, we point out things around here, right?)
S

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2018, 09:38:10 pm »

Edict mechanic from Asper. I wasn't planning on having any landscape cards originally, but then this silly idea came up, and I think having some when-you-shuffle Edicts could be cool. This was originally going in RBCI, but the more I thought about it, it might actually be fun to have a deck where your Treasure is constantly multiplying. Might lead to some nice TfB tricks, or a combo with a good Kingdom Treasure. What do you think?
This looks like a variant of Asper's Subventions. I like that you can copy powerful Treasures like Colony or Fortune but dislike that you are forced to take at least a Silver.

Yeah, I did see Subventions. The reason you're forced to take a Silver is I wanted something that can balloon out of control no matter what, like real inflation.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 04:05:44 am »

You need to specify looking through everything and revealing a treasure to gain first. Maybe borrow wording from donate, or only check your discard?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 10:48:10 pm »

New card, with a new color combination!

The basic ability is pretty bad: Copper as an Action. The Jackpot ability gets a bit more exciting: you can get a Village effect, or a Copper that retains its ability to not be drawn dead. And then there's the Reaction part, of course: Stop a single Attack cold, at the cost of next turn's Jackpot. Which will you choose?

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 09:30:14 am »
+1

The basic ability is pretty bad: Copper as an Action. The Jackpot ability gets a bit more exciting: you can get a Village effect, or a Copper that retains its ability to not be drawn dead. And then there's the Reaction part, of course: Stop a single Attack cold, at the cost of next turn's Jackpot. Which will you choose?
This card as is doesn't look that interesting or significant, and I would choose Moat every time. I get that as a non-terminal reaction you've avoided the problem of hoarding these, but as Donald says of Moat in the secret history, defending an Attack once is weak. Though with the 'and be unaffected' wording it will work infinitely. Either way, tracking that next turn has no jackpot could be a concern.
Positive points, I like the top half's use as action or jackpot feature, though execution is a bit uninspiring. And losing the next turn's jackpot could have something going for it too.

Hmmm... This is way too close to the current color I'm using. I'll likely have to change it to the brighter green. Though I'm starting to like the more green-ish teal color I posted as well, and I think that color is noticeably different from the Tribe one.
Just to say that I'd have no gripes even if you went with the same turquoise colour. We have so many name overlaps already on the forum, and in time we're bound to see colour overlaps too. Teal would be nice :)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 10:06:52 am »
+1

The more you know: Originally I wanted Subventions to be mandatory, and decided to make it optional because there was an outcry.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 01:05:47 pm »

Yeah, I did see Subventions. The reason you're forced to take a Silver is I wanted something that can balloon out of control no matter what, like real inflation.
I am all for stuff that makes money strategies more interesting. But not when it comes in the form of Silver self-junking that could totally ruin engine strategies. I don't think you lose anything interesting about the Edict if you make it a choice.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 06:03:34 pm »

The more you know: Originally I wanted Subventions to be mandatory, and decided to make it optional because there was an outcry.

Good to know. Inflation is definitely on the chopping block at this point; I still like the basic idea but I'll try to implement it differently.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 06:21:23 pm »

This card as is doesn't look that interesting or significant, and I would choose Moat every time. I get that as a non-terminal reaction you've avoided the problem of hoarding these, but as Donald says of Moat in the secret history, defending an Attack once is weak. Though with the 'and be unaffected' wording it will work infinitely. Either way, tracking that next turn has no jackpot could be a concern.
Positive points, I like the top half's use as action or jackpot feature, though execution is a bit uninspiring. And losing the next turn's jackpot could have something going for it too.

Hmmm... This is way too close to the current color I'm using. I'll likely have to change it to the brighter green. Though I'm starting to like the more green-ish teal color I posted as well, and I think that color is noticeably different from the Tribe one.
Just to say that I'd have no gripes even if you went with the same turquoise colour. We have so many name overlaps already on the forum, and in time we're bound to see colour overlaps too. Teal would be nice :)

I gave it a buff, and the new teal color:

It now lets you keep playing Actions even if you run out of them, and using up the Jackpot makes you immune to all attacks.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.