Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Random card idea: Monopolize  (Read 2001 times)

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
Random card idea: Monopolize
« on: October 25, 2018, 10:28:16 am »

While waiting for Renaissance so I can finalize and release Antiquities, getting random ideas for cards that don't fit in the set.

Here's Monopolize:
Monopolize - Action-Duration - $6
Gain a card costing up to $5. Set it aside face up on this.
At the start of your next turn, if another player played a copy of the card you set aside, +2 VP.

Costing is probably way off. Idea is probably solid-ish.
Originally gave you +1 VP for each play of the gained card, but this way it doesn't change balance with player counts.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
Re: Random card idea: Monopolize
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 02:12:55 pm »

Really cool idea. Did you notice though that this thread is Random card idea: Monopolize and your Serfdom thread is Serfdom: Random card idea  :)?

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 03:30:36 pm »

Did you notice though that this thread is Random card idea: Monopolize and your Serfdom thread is Serfdom: Random card idea  :)?

Yes; I did it this time because I might have a few more of them; when I did Serfdom I thought it would be the only one.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 03:32:16 pm »

You could just put them all into the same thread, as the beginnings of another expansion  :P :).

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 03:33:03 pm »

Is the card supposed to remain set aside until Kingdom come, making this basically only useful with Duchies that don't clog your deck, or is it meant to be discarded at the start/end of the next turn?

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 03:39:42 pm »

You could just put them all into the same thread, as the beginnings of another expansion  :P :).

Oh God no.
If I'm going to put this much work into another expansion I hope it's an expansion for something original that I can sell for profit... :)

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 03:40:14 pm »

Is the card supposed to remain set aside until Kingdom come, making this basically only useful with Duchies that don't clog your deck, or is it meant to be discarded at the start/end of the next turn?

It should be discarded at the end of the next turn's Clean-up, as it's stopped doing anything then.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 03:41:28 pm »

It should be discarded at the end of the next turn's Clean-up, as it's stopped doing anything then.
Oops, my mistake, I misread this as an Event.  :-[

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 03:42:16 pm »

So, rightfully:

Discard this at the start of your next turn, and if another player played a copy of the card you set aside while this was in play, +2 VP.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 03:56:23 pm »

So, rightfully:

Discard this at the start of your next turn, and if another player played a copy of the card you set aside while this was in play, +2 VP.

This doesn't make it obvious that you intend the set aside card to be discarded next turn. And it's weird to specify that you discard the Duration then (which would allow you to play the same Duration card every turn, which is generally bad).

At the start of your next turn, discard the site-aside card. If another player played a copy of the card you set aside while this was in play, +2.

I don't know if I like it... the thing is, it feels like an attack, because your opponents have to choose between not playing that card, or getting negative VP when they do. It almost works like Enchantress; changing the effects of the first time they play a particular card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 04:31:12 pm »

At the start of your next turn, discard the site-aside card. If another player played a copy of the card you set aside while this was in play, +2.

I don't know if I like it... the thing is, it feels like an attack, because your opponents have to choose between not playing that card, or getting negative VP when they do. It almost works like Enchantress; changing the effects of the first time they play a particular card.

You're right on both counts; your version is better, and yes, this is basically an attack. It should really be an attack so that players can block it, although that might make the wording need to be different.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 04:42:04 am »

I'd like an Event version better, and even if that's disappointing, I think such have been discussed before. I recall something like:

Toll, 5$, Event
Put your Toll token on an Action supply pile. When another player plays a card from that pile, +1 Card.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.