Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Most Buying Power on Turn 4  (Read 5996 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Most Buying Power on Turn 4
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:23:44 am »

In a solitaire game with perfect shuffle, what is the most buying power you can have on Turn 4?

To be clear, define buying power as the listed cost of the most expensive single card you're able to buy during the buy phase of Turn 4.

(As an example, playing Lighthouse, Bridge, 3 Coppers would give you 6 buying power - $1 from Lighthouse, $2 from Bridge, and $1 from each copper.)

(EDIT: Changed definition as suggested by AJD)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:38:17 am by Schneau »

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Most Buying Power on Turn 4
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:42:54 am »

By the way, $8 is pretty easy and has lots of methods. I'm interested in any solutions that give $9 buying power or more.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:57:24 am »

i believe just opening envoy/silver can do this.

T1 - CCCCE - envoy (En)
T2 - CCCEE - silver (S)
T3 - EnCCCC, draw CCCEE discard C - gold (G)
T4 - EnSGCE, draw CCCCC discard C - $10
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:00:10 am »

One solution off the top of my head turn 1 mandarin turn 2 baron turn 3 crossroads turn 4 hand: baron mandarin crossroads estate estate play cossroads +2 cards (coppers) +3 actions play baron +$4 play mandarin +$3 put estate on top of deck
$9
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:19:06 am »

i believe just opening envoy/silver can do this.

T1 - CCCCE - envoy (En)
T2 - CCCEE - silver (S)
T3 - EnCCCC, draw CCCEE discard C - gold (G)
T4 - EnSGCE, draw CCCCC discard C - $10
I think you can rearrange things so that you draw 3 Estates with T3 Envoy draw:
T3 - EnSCCC, draw CCEEE discard C - gold (G)
T4 - EnSGCC, draw CCCCC discard C - $11

I have other ideas for $11, but want to see your suggestions first.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:47:58 am »

Building on the Envoy example (spoiler tags don't work with table, so just don't look if you don't want to know):

TurnHand & Play$ - PurchaseRemaining deck

14C,E$4 - Envoy (En)3C,2E
23C,2E$3 - Silver (S)-
3Shuffle -> En,S,C,2E; play En, draw 4C,E: discard E$7 - Bank (B)2C
42C, Shuffle -> En,B,S; play En, draw 5C: discard C$16 - Colony-

So I can get it to $16 with Bank (7 Copper, 1 Silver, 1 Bank in play)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:01 am »

To be clear, define buying power as the most you would be able to spend on a single card during the buy phase of Turn 4.

(As an example, playing Lighthouse, Bridge, 3 Coppers would give you 6 buying power - $1 from Lighthouse, $2 from Bridge, and $1 from each copper.)

Strictly speaking, in that example you're only able to spend $5. How about defining it as "the listed cost of the most expensive single card you're able to buy"?

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 10:40:48 am »

To be clear, define buying power as the most you would be able to spend on a single card during the buy phase of Turn 4.

Strictly speaking, in that example you're only able to spend $5. How about defining it as "the listed cost of the most expensive single card you're able to buy"?
Thanks for the suggestion, I like this better so I edited it.

I'm finding there are also a lot of solutions at $9, so let's go for $10+. I didn't see the Envoy + Bank solution coming, that's likely the max we'll see, but other $10+ solutions could also be interesting.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 10:44:12 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, I like this better so I edited it.

I'm finding there are also a lot of solutions at $9, so let's go for $10+. I didn't see the Envoy + Bank solution coming, that's likely the max we'll see, but other $10+ solutions could also be interesting.
Well, the max attainable is maybe not so interesting since there is just one answer and once it's found we can stop thinking.
It's more fun to think about how many ways there are to grab a turn 4 Colony. :)

My example also works with Platinum instead of Bank, but you just have to move some Estates and Coppers around, so you get $9 on turn 3 (S, 7C).

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:45:47 am »

Courtyard/venture: Turn 3 play courtyard, put estate back on deck, play 5 copper + venture, discard 3 estates to draw extra copper, buy bank. Reshuffle. Turn 4 play courtyard, play 5 copper and venture drawing bank giving 13 coins.

Crossroads/governor: Turn 3 play crossroads revealing 3 estates, trash estate with governor gaining coppersmith, buy wishing well. Reshuffle. Turn 4 play governor +3 cards, wishing well + 2 cards, play 7 copper and coppersmith giving 14 coins.

Cellar/council room: Turn 3 play cellar, discard 3 estates and draw 3 copper, play council room to draw 4 copper, buy bank. Reshuffle. Play council room, play 7 coppers and bank giving 15 coins.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:00:01 pm by DG »

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 12:38:00 pm »

First solution I thought of was Council Room with Bank, but not with Cellar, and it could only get to $13.

For $14, open CR/ Fool's Gold. Draw CR, 3E, 1C; play CR, drawing 4C, buying 2 FG. Draw 2C, 1FG, reshuffle, draw CR and FG. Play CR to draw FG and 3C, so total is 5C and 3 FG.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 01:15:00 pm »

Courtyard/venture: Turn 3 play courtyard, put estate back on deck, play 5 copper + venture, discard 3 estates to draw extra copper, buy bank. Reshuffle. Turn 4 play courtyard, play 5 copper and venture drawing bank giving 13 coins.

Crossroads/governor: Turn 3 play crossroads revealing 3 estates, trash estate with governor gaining coppersmith, buy wishing well. Reshuffle. Turn 4 play governor +3 cards, wishing well + 2 cards, play 7 copper and coppersmith giving 14 coins.

Cellar/council room: Turn 3 play cellar, discard 3 estates and draw 3 copper, play council room to draw 4 copper, buy bank. Reshuffle. Play council room, play 7 coppers and bank giving 15 coins.
you could replace cellar/council room with crossroads/embassy

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 06:20:42 pm »

Here's a tweaked-but-similar challenge:  Everybody loves the unstoppable Hunting Party stack, right?  So can you set up a deck that, with perfect shuffle luck and solitaire play, gains three Hunting Parties on turn 4?

My solution:

1. Draw CCCCC.  Buy Council Room (R).
2. Draw CCEEE.  Buy Lighthouse (L).
3. Shuffle.  Draw LRCCC.  Play Lighthouse, then Council Room, drawing CCCC.  With $8 and 2 buys, buy Throne Room (T) and Quarry (Q).
4. Draw EEE, shuffle, draw RT.  Play Throne Room-Council Room, drawing CCCCCCCQ.  With $9 (+$1 from Lighthouse), three buys, and all Actions costing -$2, buy Hunting Party x3.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 08:45:04 am »

The best I could do (I didn't think of Bank or Fool's Gold) is $11:

T1: buy Salvager
T2: buy Chancellor
T3: (draw Chancellor, 4 Copper) play Chancellor (discard draw pile), 4 Copper, buy Peddler
T4: (draw Salvager, Peddler, 3 Copper) play Salvager (trash Peddler), 3 copper = $11

You can do a similar thing by buying a Border Village and gain a Festival on turn 3, and salvaging the Border Village and playing Festival and Chancellor on turn 4.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 05:59:13 pm »

Best VP buy on T4 is a colony and a tunnel.

Turn one - buy hamlet
Turn two - buy libary
Turn three draw eehlc - discard estates for +action and +buy - draw to six copper and an estate - buy coppersmith + copper (decks contains a copper)
Turn four draw chlee - draw coppersmith, discard estates for buy and action, play copper smith, play lib, draw to 7 coppers

Each copper is worth 2 and we have 2 buys so you can grab colony (11) and tunnel (3) on T4

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 04:31:48 am »
+2

Well, this one is solved.

Mad, I tell you.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.