Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: PSA: The Variants section here is AMAZING! You should check it out.  (Read 3419 times)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
+3

Took me like 2-3 years here to venture over there.  I figured in my mind it was people discussing tweaks to the cards they liked (like +1 coins, add actions to cards, change values etc.  Boy was I wrong.  These guys not only have mind blowing card art and design for new entire cards, they have sets, they have entire new "expansions" and new thematic things.

a few e.gs below, but If u haven't been there u should check it out.  I wonder if there are any portals online where these could be played?  I also wonder if Donald has ever taken a card, event etc from these? If not why?  Would save him money on developing expansion and testing (as the card maker nerds are Geronimo testing everything and debating each card in often ridiculous detail (and I say this with the utmost flattery-- just kinda insane for non paid fans to be that exhaustive) And many of them are quite inventive.

Couple notables out of MANy incredibly designed cards.  Donald maybe should just hire a few of these guys.

Asper's Cards

"Asper's Cards" were created with the main goal to make original but relatively easy to understand cards by using existing game mechanics. As most mechanics of Dominion are visited, the collection also works as a Treasure Chest, with each official set up to Empires having at least 2 cards dedicated to it (let's call this 25-card subset "Dominion - Legacy"). The "set" currently has: A card you can spend more than one action on, a VP card that attacks to become worth more, a card that starts out in the trash, a $2 curser, a card that will cost you VP when you gain it, a Potion Event and at least one horrible pun. This list also includes my Spellcasters, which can cast Spells you previously bought, and Edicts, a new mechanic that allows more general rules changes than Landmarks or Events do. Furthermore, you'll also find the latest state of the Seasons set, which Co0kieL0rd and I started and which introduces cards that depend on the game phase, as well as 8 cards designed for use in Team Dominion.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9231.0
Seasons

Seasons is an expansion Co0kieL0rd and I did together. In it, you use the Season board above (left), which spans 4 Seasons wih 5 sections each. The Season Token starts on the first section of Spring, and is moved forward after the last player in order did their turn (if you want to be picky, it's actually right before the first in play order does their regular turn). Therefore, Spring marks the opening and early phase, Summer the buildup phase, Autumn the late phase and Winter the part where the game will probably end. The cards do different things depending on the current Season. Use the Season Reminder above (right) to make sure you don't forget to move the token.
The cards in this thread are my re-takes of Seasons. Check out the original cards (some of which are more similar to the current take than others) by following this link.

Sojourner returned to an older version, but the Winter effect has changed.
Snow Witch now gives the Curse in hand, to avoid player order mattering as much.
Peltmonger now gives more money all around, and the buy is also on-call.
Student, Ball Room and Sanitarium didn't change.
Restore now uses the wording that is best in Summer. Untested yet.
Timberland now gets progressively worse, though you can tfb it. Considering there are Castles around now, it might be a bit meh.
Plantation now can only move the token backwards and gives a more straightforward bonus.

Spellcasters & Spells
When at least one Spellcaster card is in the kingdom, add 2 random Spells to the game and each player gets 5 Spell tokens. Spells can be bought like Events and take one buy to purchase. When you buy a Spell, you "prepare" it - this means you take one of your five Spell tokens and place it on the Spell card. Each Spellcaster allows you to "cast" a Spell. This means removing one of your Spell tokens from a Spell and then doing what the Spell says. Spells are not cards and can never be gained, and you can have a max of 5 prepared. Generally, they are relatively strong effects to add on your card, but you have to re-stock on them regularly - make sure to not run out of buys.

Spellcasters & Spells
When at least one Spellcaster card is in the kingdom, add 2 random Spells to the game and each player gets 5 Spell tokens. Spells can be bought like Events and take one buy to purchase. When you buy a Spell, you "prepare" it - this means you take one of your five Spell tokens and place it on the Spell card. Each Spellcaster allows you to "cast" a Spell. This means removing one of your Spell tokens from a Spell and then doing what the Spell says. Spells are not cards and can never be gained, and you can have a max of 5 prepared. Generally, they are relatively strong effects to add on your card, but you have to re-stock on them regularly - make sure to not run out of buys.

Click to embiggen
ETA : :Honkeyfresh Tip: If you go to the very bottom of the images of the little cards which u want to embiggen it is MUCH easier to open all the cards at once and then just scroll thru one long list.  The other way is downright awful (top down) just terrible.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:51:26 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: The Variants section here is AMAZING! You should check it out.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 02:33:20 pm »
+1

Cookie Lord's Thread

Dominion fan expansion: Roots and Renewal

Roots and Renewal has the following themes:
Interaction with the Supply
Manipulation of the opening turns
The Prime token mechanic (see next paragraph)

The Prime token increases the cost of all cards from the pile it's placed on by $1 and annuls all previous, current and future cost reductions of those cards. As soon as the Prime token is removed from that pile, this effect is made void retroactively, meaning that all past and current cost reductions now apply to cards from that pile even if they are result of resolving cards that have been played when the Prime token was still there.
There is only one Prime token, shared by all players. When a player is by a card, event or landmark instructed to move the Prime token he may choose to move it to the pile it’s currently on (hence leaving it there).

"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 03:19:30 pm »
+9

People have asked a few times about the idea of Donald using fan cards as official cards. He's been quite clear that he has no interest in that; because designing cards is fun for him. Why let others take his fun?

In fact, he specifically avoids the fan cards forum; to help ensure that all his ideas are really his. There have been a few cards and tweeks suggested by playtesters, of course.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 01:21:12 am »

Also, he is actually getting help with playtesting from certain fan designers,  or at least one; Last Footnote.

Again it seems like you think that Dominion is a form of multimillion dollar industri. It's really not, but it is succesfull enough to still be a living game worth creating new expansions for and having àn active community still . That's awesome enough, for now.

When it comes to the actual fancards they indeed do seem very cool sometimes, I kinda wish there was an official possibility to create and play with fancards but I doubt DXV is very interested in looking into that.
S

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 09:52:48 pm »

Also, he is actually getting help with playtesting from certain fan designers,  or at least one; Last Footnote.

Again it seems like you think that Dominion is a form of multimillion dollar industri. It's really not, but it is succesfull enough to still be a living game worth creating new expansions for and having àn active community still . That's awesome enough, for now.

When it comes to the actual fancards they indeed do seem very cool sometimes, I kinda wish there was an official possibility to create and play with fancards but I doubt DXV is very interested in looking into that.

Dominion is one of the critically acclaimed and widely played board games of all time, and certainly the modern era.  It has won international awards, US awards and is available for sale in 6500 walmarts and 2000 target stores, plus numerous smaller hobby shops etc I am sure.  If they are still broke AF the DXV either has a bad Heroin/hooker/horse habit, because especially if he's the lone owner investor, at hat sounds like a lot of units to potentially move.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 11:37:23 pm »
+2

Boardgames just don’t move that much money. I don’t think Donald is starving though.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 04:55:01 am »

Dominion is one of the critically acclaimed and widely played board games of all time, and certainly the modern era.  It has won international awards, US awards and is available for sale in 6500 walmarts and 2000 target stores, plus numerous smaller hobby shops etc I am sure.  If they are still broke AF the DXV either has a bad Heroin/hooker/horse habit, because especially if he's the lone owner investor, at hat sounds like a lot of units to potentially move.
The copy number of most boardgames is in the thousands and I doubt that designer make more than 1 or 2 bucks per sold copy as pure profit.
You gotta win some awards, like Dominion has, to reach 5 digit copy numbers. But even then it is not the gigantic business you wrongly present it as. Games which sell in the millions like Catan and Dominion are exceedingly rare and for most designers designing boardgames is not their main job.
Especially with pre-financing like Kickstarter the market is very crowded, the number of games published each year is increasing and not every designer can get a huge share of the pie.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 07:16:36 am »
+4

Thanks for the shout-out, Honkeyfresh  :)
As others pointed out, Donald X has no interest in taking inspiration from fan cards. That is his choice and it's fully understandable. Dominion is his baby, and you don't give your baby away. I used to be frustrated over this and we even had an argument about it, but I have no desire to force my cards on him anymore.

It's perhaps easier now with his most recent expansion returning to a more easy-to-digest approach, which I was advocating for for years.

Anyhow, maybe some people will have fun with those cards, so thanks  :)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 10:38:46 am »
+2

Thanks for the shout-out, Honkeyfresh  :)
As others pointed out, Donald X has no interest in taking inspiration from fan cards. That is his choice and it's fully understandable. Dominion is his baby, and you don't give your baby away. I used to be frustrated over this and we even had an argument about it, but I have no desire to force my cards on him anymore.

It's perhaps easier now with his most recent expansion returning to a more easy-to-digest approach, which I was advocating for for years.

Anyhow, maybe some people will have fun with those cards, so thanks  :)

NP man. Your sets are amazing, and that seasons thing you and cookie lord came up with is very interesting.  I wold love to see how it plays in action.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 03:53:55 pm »

Bumping this for Noobs b/c it's so cool to see some of the card arts/variants that Dominion-crazed fools can come up with.

Also wondering if by any chance any of you has come up with a way to play any of these online, or if it's still only IRL.

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 02:17:31 pm »

Bumping this for Noobs b/c it's so cool to see some of the card arts/variants that Dominion-crazed fools can come up with.

Also wondering if by any chance any of you has come up with a way to play any of these online, or if it's still only IRL.

I play with fan cards all the time using Tabletop Simulator.  It's not difficult to do.

Example:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 02:19:17 pm by DunnoItAll »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.