Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Replacing battery in mobile phone  (Read 1210 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Replacing battery in mobile phone
« on: October 18, 2018, 01:32:58 pm »
+1

So my Galaxy S6 is pooping out. It dropped from 100% battery to 45% within an hour. And when it reaches the 40% range, it shuts off completely as if it were drained. Clearly my phone has issues.

I don't really want to get a new phone though. I know these phones are not designed for longevity, but I have to think that there are people who specialize in fixing up old phones, including installing a new battery. Has anybody done this? Is it a viable option? Or should I just accept that I'm going to go buy a new phone this weekend?
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing battery in mobile phone
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 01:45:57 pm »

While I didn't change a battery that was not easily accessible, I disassemble my old phone multiple times and switched out some parts. Disassembling a S6 looks a lot harder than what i needed to fro my S2 though.
I'd recommend watching a Youtube video or to about the operation you want to perform, then if you think you might be able to do it, try it out, but go in  with the exepectation that it might not work.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing battery in mobile phone
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:15:42 am »
+1

Well, in case anyone cares about this for the future, I found out more about the battery in an S6 Active.

I called a phone repair place that seemed reputable online. I asked about my situation. The guy said that with the Active, the only way to get at the battery is to remove the screen, and that requires breaking and replacing the screen, which would cost about $200-$300. He suggested that I'd get more value for my money by replacing the phone.

So sadly I have to say good-bye to my S6 Active. It really was still in tip-top shape otherwise. I probably could've tried to milk it for longer by replacing the battery anyway, but the problem with these phones is that they aren't designed to last very long. We had just replaced my wife's S6 a couple months back because the GPS was going out. Fortunately, that makes it suitable for a back-up phone if anything should happen to our current phones. I was able to turn in my dead Active for $30—doubled to $60 due to a promotion on the S9. So there's a little something.
A man has no signature
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 20 queries.