Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: New fan based alchemy cards.  (Read 19828 times)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Re: New fan based alchemy cards.
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2018, 02:23:06 pm »

How does this one look?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2018, 02:33:13 pm »

This looks okay, just seems like the kind of thing only playtesting can give a real answer for.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2018, 03:46:29 pm »

I don't agree that it's quite political, because you can't use it to help anyone but the player to your left win.

Political was the wrong word. Maybe just "unbalanced". Player B gets rewarded simply because player A happens to choose a particular strategy, while Player C doesn't. Technically Possession can have these issues, but only when combo'd with other cards like Ambassador.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2018, 03:53:05 pm »
+1

If the gaining is optional, then why make them reveal their hand to show if they can't reveal it? Why not just make the revealing optional? Also, I think it could be reworded to simply work on all players, which would resolve the unbalance and make the wording clearer and shorter.

+
Reveal a card from your hand. Gain a copy of it.
Each other player may reveal a copy of the card
from their hand to gain a copy of it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2018, 09:30:13 pm »

Is this version any better?

However I kinda wanted love potion to be something like this, a love potion is concocted to force someone to love you, hence to force someone to reveal a card that you want revealed or reveal they can’t. Hence this love potion was a dud. And then if they did. Then you both get the benefit cause it is a love potion after all. That’s kinda of the idea that I wanted this card to go by. And I wanted it to affect just player at a time. Hence the player to your left.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:39:48 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2018, 11:21:55 pm »

I have redone magnifying glass it’s also posted in the first post along with most of the other cards for alchemy I’ve come up with.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2018, 11:42:21 am »

A point on wording: Locked Door needs something on the card to say that the Secret Market pile is in the game. And then either the Secret Market pile needs to be an additional supply pile (as is the case with Young Witch and the Bane pile, or Looters and the Ruins pile), or Locked Door needs to explicitly say "from the Secret Market pile".
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2018, 09:41:47 pm »

Okay I think I fixed it. So jack Rudd do you have a favorite? One of the largest problems with the potion cards is most people want to trash them after awhile. Or don’t buy too many. That’s why I tried to create some cards that have potion in addition to the action like mad scientist. Or magnifying glass that basically fuses potion and silver into one basically.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:45:17 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2018, 08:19:48 pm »

Does anyone like the love potion as a treasure instead of an action better?

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2018, 07:51:10 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2019, 11:25:50 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2019, 12:55:00 am »

Here’s a brand new idea I had for alchemy. Since there’s only 3 official cards that are gathering I thought I’d add one to alchemy.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 01:05:37 am by ClouduHieh »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2019, 03:34:42 am »

How about this then:

Reveal a card from your hand and choose another player. They may reveal a hand without a copy of the card you revealed in it. If they don't, gain a copy of the card.

Now they decide whether they want to keep you from gaining the card, but that's all they do. No unfair bonus.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2019, 03:36:23 am »

Here’s a brand new idea I had for alchemy. Since there’s only 3 official cards that are gathering I thought I’d add one to alchemy.
Why does it let you return Potions to the supply? That seems to go against the rest of the card.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2019, 03:44:11 am »

I have redone magnifying glass it’s also posted in the first post along with most of the other cards for alchemy I’ve come up with.

Magnifying Glass' lower instruction is a bit messy, as technically when you buy a card you have not yet gained it and would put it into your deck directly from the supply, without ever gaining it. Also it's never specified where that Potion comes from. It says you do it only when you have a Potion in play, but that doesn't say that's where the Potion is topdecked from. It could just as well be your hand or discard pile. Wording suggestion:

When you gain this, put it and a Potion you have in play onto your deck.

If you have no Potion in play, this will just fail to topdeck one. As there are only very few ways to gain a Potion cost card without buying it, it should hardly make a difference otherwise.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2019, 08:28:26 pm »

Usually you would have potion in play when you bought it, I guess I worded it that way because of other cards like mad scientist. I’ll think of something else then. Cause I wanted to make it so you couldn’t top deck with certain other cards in play.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2019, 08:36:30 pm »

I wanted to make it so you would have to have at least 2 potions in your deck, also by returning it to the supply you keep yourself from running out of potions. I also wanted to make it like swashbuckler making it harder to gain the victory tokens, but also for the first person to actually pull it off gets nice a reward. Also if the other players are focusing on buying provinces to win, it may or may not be helpful to gain the victory tokens. It will vary game to game. Kinda like tournament sometimes varies game to game.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2019, 08:47:59 pm »

Plus with botanist I was trying to make it like swashbuckler except with a different kind of reward. Also I wanted to make it a useful action. Getting 3 cards is useful usually. Also by putting the potion back if you have after you get the 3 cards you could get the harbinger effect to your hand as well. So you can play this 2 ways either focus on all the cards you get or buy 2 potions and wait for your chance to have potion and botanist in your hand at the same time and another your discard pile. So you can’t a bunch of Victory tokens. And still get a nice normal benefit for playing it. And others are focusing on the same strategy of you, then it’s basically tournament one of my favorite cards, who gets the best prize! Of course this could still be played throughout the game and maybe another player will get a bunch of tokens too.

And with botanist I made it this way so you couldn’t chain it effectively easily (except for +3 cards). Sure you might still have Actions and sure you might have another botanist in your hand but what are the chances you have another potion in your discard pile, I sopose you then just get a gold or something from your discard pile at that point. And throne room ing it isn’t much different.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:54:20 pm by ClouduHieh »

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2019, 10:47:39 pm »

Botanist to me makes perfect sense; it's a little weird though because it seems pretty hard to make the VP payoff work, and costly to make it work consistently. This could lead to people being frustrated if the Botanist pile starts filling up with VPs that nobody can get... then later, one player scores and makes off with a huge pile of VPs.

That could be the point, though.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2019, 12:47:03 am »

Yeah that’s the whole enchilada about botanist neirai the forgiven, players will definitely have to think twice before buying it and playing it. This is basically a large scale version of farmers market, in many a game you build up the pile the most than another player comes along and takes it all, even though you played farmers market more. This is basically like that but not nearly as frustrating because it’s a lot harder to get, and if someone does manage to pull it off, even if there’s a lot of tokens on the pile, I think there will be a little applauding going on. And then some frustration. And who knows maybe another player will get the pot o gold too.

And it may even add a little more time to gameplay they may all decide to hold off ending the game just see someone claim it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:49:50 am by ClouduHieh »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2019, 07:44:09 am »

Secret market has no reason the have the * in it's cost. It doesn't say not in the supply.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2019, 10:41:08 am »

Forgot to add that. Now it does little fish.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2019, 10:57:18 am »

Taking a page from botanist, I’ve made it a little interesting. So what do you guys think about magnifying glass since it’s cost is only potion should I keep It producing 1$ or should it produce 0$ since it causes a potion to produce 2$

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2019, 11:12:08 am »

Also the biggest goal I have with my alchemy cards is to help it stand alone. To me it seems the reason why some hate alchemy is the fact that it isn’t a stand alone expansion. All the other expansions can be played effectively on their own. (Obviously still including provinces ect.) however alchemy is very hard to play on its own. And in the rule book it doesn’t even have recommended sets by itself. Because obviously it wasn’t meant to be played on its own. Now if Donald had actually made at least one other expansion that couldn’t be played on its own, it would make more sense to leave alchemy as is. But obviously he wants us to come up with our own alchemy cards because half the box is empty. That’s why I’ve got so many ways to use potions, or to make it easier to gain higher costing potion cards or to give certain actions that act also as a potion. Hopefully if you played a random game with just alchemy you would get at least one of these new cards that make it easier to get potion Action cards.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2019, 11:28:48 am »

I’ll ask this question again. Awhile back I posted this question but no one ever responded about it. I have 2 variations of love potion. Which looks better love potion as an action or a treasure?

Also I never really got any feedback about dragons hoard. Since you guys are starting to pay more attention to this thread I would really like some feedback from these 2 as well. I certainly wouldn’t mind changing the price for dragons hoard if you think it’s cost is too high. And of course I can tweak love potion more, before I do though I’d like to know which variation you guys prefer. I’m planning on making it more similar to contraband.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.