Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Theme and mechanics themes  (Read 3485 times)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
Theme and mechanics themes
« on: October 17, 2018, 11:33:36 pm »
+3

Even with just the base game, one tends to notice how what the card represents in the Dominion world has tie-ins to what the card would do.  It's gotten to a point where it helps you recall what some of the cards do, and can even let you guess at what a card is supposed to do (especially if you're given the context of what set it's from, and its... theme and mechanics).  Not sure if we ever got a comprehensive list anywhere, but here's my effort to try:

-land/property = gives victory points | e.g. various Victory cards
-towns, communities, villages, and places where a lot of people are gathered = more +Actions | e.g. Village, Fortress, Acting Troupe, City

-royalty = tends to grant repeat executions of actions | e.g. Prince, Royal Carriage, Throne Room, King's Court
-Transportation, logistics, granting physical access to other areas = discounts on cards | e.g. Highway, Bridge, Bridge Troll, Quarry

-religious = trashing | e.g. Chapel, Bishop, Priest
-negative superstition = Cursers | e.g. Witch, Sea Hag
-Storage = mulligan cards | e.g. Silos, Cellar, Storeroom, Secret Chamber, Warehouse, and Vault
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19025.msg773094#msg773094

===================== EDIT:
Knowledge/creating things = card draws | e.g. Library, Ruined Library, Smithy, Laboratory, Experiment
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:32:37 pm by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
Re: Theme and mechanics themes
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 10:42:40 am »

With the notable exception of Amulet, valuable small objects are almost certain to be Treasures. Verbs expressing change will usually be trash for benefit, or Remodel-type cards specifically.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 11:19:53 am »

So why are trashers religious in nature? My assumption is that it's about "cleansing"; at least the original idea would go back to going to a Chapel to cleanse yourself of Curses. But with so many non-evil things being trashed; one could also think that it's about religion being responsible for burning books, or hindering scientific progress.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:30:04 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 11:26:52 am »

So why are trashers religious in nature? My assumption is that it's about "cleansing"; at least the original ideal would go back to going to a Chapel to cleanse yourself of Curses. But with so many non-evil things being trashed; one could also think that it's about religion being responsible for burning books, or hindering scientific progress.

Or accepting donations.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 01:09:43 pm »

So why are trashers religious in nature? My assumption is that it's about "cleansing"; at least the original ideal would go back to going to a Chapel to cleanse yourself of Curses. But with so many non-evil things being trashed; one could also think that it's about religion being responsible for burning books, or hindering scientific progress.

Or accepting donations.

Yeah, it's rather the connection with the church accepted donations and therefor got a connection to the regimes that helped them both establish their power. The church take cares of things you can spare to get rid off and your ruling becomes much smoother and effective there of. Pretty neat.
S

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 07:47:44 pm »
+1

Military = Handsize attacks (Militia, Margrave, Soldier, Mercenary, Legionary)
Markets = Things that give +Buy (Market, Grand Market, Farmer's Market, Market Square, Ruined Market)
Robbery = Trashing your opponent's treasures (Thief, Bandit, Pirate Ship, Noble Brigand)
Construction work = Trashing a card and gaining another (Remodel, Upgrade, Remake, Rebuild, Develop, Expand)
Looking ahead, in space or time = Looking at the top cards of your deck and discarding some (Scrying Pool, Oracle, Wishing Well, Mystic, Sage, Navigator, Cartographer, Lookout, Night Watchman)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:51:20 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 07:16:42 am »

So why are trashers religious in nature? My assumption is that it's about "cleansing"; at least the original idea would go back to going to a Chapel to cleanse yourself of Curses. But with so many non-evil things being trashed; one could also think that it's about religion being responsible for burning books, or hindering scientific progress.
I interpret it more as some combination of anti-materialism, sacrificial giving and renunciation of wealth. For the benefits of clarity and future reward.
A relevant line from the Bible is: "let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us".
Trash the stuff that slows you down. Get focused.

Also, while it is true that religious-themed cards always involve trashing, the converse is not true; by my count, only 12% of card-shaped trashers are religious-themed. There are many 'non-religious' ways to deal with junk.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 07:54:52 am »
+1

"Nobility"--dual victory cards or cards that interact with Victory cards: Nobles, Duke, Duchess, Count, and Baron (and Dame Josephine if you want to consider Knights part of the nobility). Great Hall (where nobles eat) and Harem also fit this theme . The main exception to it Margrave--but that's German nobility rather than English.

"Commerce" Trade, Trader, and Trading post (but not Trade Route, oddly) all have to do with trashing stuff to gain Silver, and Merchant wants you to use Silver.

"Science": Laboratory, Alchemist, and Experiment all increase your handsize nonterminally. Also, scientists aren't able to do their jobs without the help of lots of underpaid graduate students, which explains Hireling's power.

"Hunting:" Hunting Grounds, Hunting Party, and Wild Hunt all give you + cards, as do Ranger and Pathfinder, who also go out into the woods to look for things.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:02:29 am by Marcory »

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 01:26:20 pm »
+3

Cards with foolish names do foolish stuff (e.g. Fool)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 02:48:13 pm »
+1

That still doesn't explain Transmute

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 03:04:54 pm »
+2

Another word for "Mute" is "Dumb". And another word for "Dumb" is "Foolish". Thus, Transmute = Foolish.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 06:04:18 pm »

Markets = Things that give +Buy (Market, Grand Market, Farmer's Market, Market Square, Ruined Market)
Note: This also extends to other events where people go the spend money (Fair, Travelling Fair, Festival).
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 07:13:01 pm »

I think all mimes are foolish regardless of how they gender identify.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 07:28:48 pm »

Fool's Gold?

Also, spooky things make you top deck cards: Ghost Ship, Haunted Woods, Haunted Castle, Haunting (Not Ghost though, somewhat disappointingly).

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 01:06:31 am »
+1

Fool's Gold?

Also, spooky things make you top deck cards: Ghost Ship, Haunted Woods, Haunted Castle, Haunting (Not Ghost though, somewhat disappointingly).
Ghost gets cards from the top though, if that does anything for you.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 06:56:35 am »

Library, Ruined Library and Archive all let you draw cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.