Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: Snowline fan-based expansion.  (Read 36492 times)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Re: Snowline fan-based expansion.
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2018, 01:39:35 am »

I’ve redone the first set of travelers and reposted them at the start of the thread. Also I made mountaineer a little weaker. I made churl more of an attack. Ect.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2018, 02:17:18 am »
+1

Another new card for snowline. I thought it would be nice if there was another card besides poor house that costed 1$ in the supply and I thought this would go with the theme.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2018, 02:22:51 am »

So far for cards in the supply I have

1 for $1
5 for $2
4 for $3
7 for $4
8 for $5
4 for $6
1 for $7

So far I have 30 different cards in the supply.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 05, 2018, 10:39:49 pm »

I have added the rest of the travelers to the beginning part of the thread. I’ve also revamped them. Made some changes. And made sell sword a completely new attack. So check em out.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 06, 2018, 08:25:30 pm »

I’ve posted most of my cards at the beginning of the thread like someone suggested, because it would be easier to find them. However ever since I’ve stated posting them at the beginning of the thread I have had nary a reply. So I guess it doesn’t make it any easier after all.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2018, 11:07:16 am »
+1

Well, posting them at the beginning of the thread makes it a lot easier to check them all, because they are in one place. That's especially useful for cards like Travellers or other cards that rely on each other. However, posting them ONLY THERE will not update the thread, which means people will not notice you made changes. So posting it both there and in a new post (as you did) is very useful.

Also you made some statements earlier about not wanting to change your cards anymore, and that people who don't like your cards should just ignore them. That's fine, you don't have to listen to suggestions. As you said, they are your cards. But people here are usually posting in threads like these to help you improve your cards. You made it seem like you don't want them to do that, and so they stopped doing it.

For instance, I could tell you that Sellsword is written in one word, and that Hedge Knight and Supply should be written with capital letters. Also, looking through other players' discard piles to find the two worst cards to put on their deck, and then decide the order, may take very long. It also means that some players might use this opportunity to count the points in their discard pile, in order to see whether they are in the lead. That will make it take even longer. Additionally, you don't have to mention "if they have a discard pile", because in Dominion you can just tell people to do something, and if it can't be done, they just don't do it.

The question is, do you want this kind of reply?

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2018, 06:00:54 pm »
+1

Yeah I like that reply. And I don’t mind changing some of my cards. I’m just picky about a few of them is all. And if I wait awhile I come up with new ideas for changing some of the cards.

And it helps if the one replying about my cards first tells me the good news first then the bad news. Like a positive response about a card they like. Then if there’s another card that needs to be fixed then tell me the bad news.

When I at first started getting reply’s back 90% was negative. I guess I want 50% positive and 50% negative at most for negative. Cause I would like to hear about all my cards. Good and bad. The problem was there has been many cards that haven’t been mentioned about yet in this thread.

It’s easier to make changes to cards when there’s at least some of my cards that don’t need to be changed.

And I’ve only noticed a few good reply’s to just a few. There’s at 30 differently named cards in this expansion. And only a few Have gotten positive feedback. I feel optimistic that at least half should get positive feedback.

And my mom used to tell me. If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all. And that has sorta stuck with me. Like for instance I have replied a few times on the antiquities thread. I always had something nice to say, before I mentioned anything that might need to be fixed. And one time I remember the shipwreck action card. I liked it a lot, and then mentioned I feel like there should be an octopus action card pile too. Cause they like to hang out in old shipwrecks.

Anyways time has passed and i did change some of my cards. And I did add outhouse a couple of weeks ago and no one has mentioned it yet. I don’t mind changing that one. Except the cost $1 another action just like poorhouse.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2018, 06:07:44 pm »

This one is also changed to a moat with a better action than moat.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:19:45 pm by ClouduHieh »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2018, 06:45:46 pm »

Ha ha, I see where you're coming from. Where I come from, we actually have a saying that means pretty much the opposite. It's basically: "Not complaining is praising.". It's not completely serious, but kind of describes my personal mindset: If I'm not nagging at stuff, that means it's fine. The idea behind it for me is, telling you that something is good doesn't help you improve. Telling you what you could change does. But I think I mentioned that already.

So, a positive thing about Sellsword is that the attack is a new and straightforward idea.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 10, 2018, 09:39:11 pm »

Yeah it is. I’m always looking out for new types of attacks for dominion. Now asper, without changing the type of attack it is, should I improve somehow or is it the fine The was it is for sellsword. I kinda of had burrecrat in mind when I thought of this idea, except the victory’s come from your discard pile not your hand.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 11, 2018, 02:17:03 am »

I think it still has the issue of you having to look through up to 5 discard piles and possibly counting them. Another one that just occurred to me is that the attack stacks. Potentially, if you play Sellsword twice a turn, your opponents have to put 4 Victory cards onto their deck. If you can build a card deck that can do this reliably every turn, then your opponents will have the same 4 dead cards in hand every turn. That would be no fun. Sadly, you can't solve this as easily. You would either have to discard the top two cards from their deck first to avoid the stacking (similar to what Sea Hag does), but that feels very annoying. Or you could put such an attack on a card that trashes itself. Or you could make it a choice, like Torturer does. This would also make it possible to reduce the time the card takes to resolve. Here is a suggestion:

Sellsword, Action - Attack - Traveller, $4*
+2 Cards
Each other player may look through their discard pile. They may reveal a Victory or Curse card from it and put it onto their deck. If they don't, they gain a Curse.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2018, 05:10:24 am »

Well sellsword is a traveler which means there is 5 sellswords so if you were playing 4 player game only one player would likely have 2 at the most anyway, also since warden comes afterwards, some players would be blocking sellsword anyway. And if you were playing a 6 player game. You would be lucky to have one sellsword. So stacking sellsword is almost impossible even if other players are using that traveler, it’s not likely everyone will be playing sellsword in the same round.

But I do like the idea of giving them a choice. Hmm.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2018, 07:24:35 pm »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2019, 05:25:28 pm »

So I made the action and treasure discarding more useful. I tried to put it closer together like ironworks, but with the generator it doesn’t make look even close to ironworks, so the gap has remain.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2019, 10:26:37 am »

I’ve made physical copies of avalanche, snow shoes, firn village and hibernating bear. I’ll start play testing them with friends this weekend. I may make a few more before the weekend.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2019, 10:31:23 am »

And before I make these in the near future, I changed cliff and climbing gear.

Not only did I make cliff a duration and climbing gear a reaction I also made them a split/pile. Because I only had one other split pile. So I made this a split pile for good measure.

Another reaction. It’s good to have a lot of reactions especially when there’s a lot of attack cards in the same expansion. Although this reaction and others I’ve made can react to things other than just attack cards.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:47:34 am by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2019, 10:37:21 am »

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:39:12 am by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2019, 10:41:43 am »

Although I didn’t change crossbow and elk mount, I did tweak bolts. Now it’s a card that gets discarded instead of trashed. With a bonus.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2019, 06:46:58 pm »
+1

I’ve playtested snowy owl, sled dogs, avalanche/snow shoes/firn village, hibernating bear, and frigid village. With amulet, port, miser, wine merchant, distant lands, and giant. We randomly added adventures cards. And both picked wine merchant as the extra pile, via hibernating bear.

The game played normally. It didn’t take too long. Frigid village wasn’t worth buying too many I recommend 2 or 3 max per player. There were times having frigid village give out extra actions didn’t help mostly in the beginning of the game. But it wasn’t awkward either. The only one awkward was sled dogs mostly because snowy owl was in the game. At the end of the game each of us had 2 or 3 Action cards on the tavern mat we weren’t able to add to our decks. Mostly because there were times when frigid village wasn’t in play and we had lots of action cards but enough actions to play them all. However having sled dogs was very useful when journey token was face down then we would gain a port to our hand basically and that was very useful. We both got to do that on a couple of occasions.

Also snowy owl and avalanche was also a very useful strategy especially if we had extra actions. Play port play avalanche trash avalanche gain snow shoes and a gold and then play snowy owl to gain avalanche from the trash. Snow shoes worked only a couple of times to pass on firn village. And so the firn villages were almost evenly distributed, to both of us. I had 5 he had 4. I played avalanche more than he did, but still ended up with the most firn villages. And there was one instance were he thanked me for the firn village because he had 2 attack cards and thanks to getting firn village he was able to play them both.

Hibernating bear wasn’t nearly as effective as enchantress, probably because we only played with 2 players it would probably be stronger with 3 or players. But we also had giant, and Avalanche to play. Giant is usually pretty strong, but it seemed to pale in comparison to avalanche, but in the end avalanche really didn’t do all that much damage (except at end game losing ten points).

Anyways the snowline cards for this game was better than anticipated. It was a fun game. It gave us the same thrill any new expansion played the first few times would do. And we both look forward to playing with some more new snowline cards. (Depending what Cards I decide to make next we will probably not play with snowy owl and sled dogs in the same game).

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2019, 12:14:37 am »
+1

I have now played one full game of snowline by itself. Cliff/Climbing gear, Fur coat/Log cabin, Yeti, Snowy owl, Frigid village, Hibernating bear, Eagles, Lodge, Avalanche/Firn village/Snow shoes, Cold storage, and Sled dogs. And the events Blizzard and a Crisp Day. Everyone enjoyed it. We played it at a game store called Phoenix fire games. The manager even came by and looked at the cards. He looked at all the cards while we played. He said as an avid dominion player myself. I immediately noticed I had never seen these cards before and thought it was cool I made my own. He really liked cold storage. It was a very enjoyable game. The most popular cards in my group was snowy owl, avalanche, and eagles. I’m the only one who made the most of cold storage and yeti. Only one other bought yeti, however he always seemed to have it in his hand when my yeti attacked, and therefore never got the opportunity to play it. But I mentioned to him he needed to have at least 2 of them in his deck to make any use of it, i on the other hand had 3 yetis. My friends all thought it felt like an official dominion game. I did manage to buy blizzard a couple of times. And that did delay the other players from buying a province for a round or 2. But one player was able to keep up with me and had a couple of fur coats ready to go for the blizzard. And got 2 duchies after I bought blizzard. And even though firn village was -2 the fact that it was a very useful action, there weren’t many turns with hands full of useless cards.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 21, 2019, 10:12:43 am »

I'm glad to hear that you're getting to test your cards with friends! It's a good feeling.

I like Crossbow; the top is a bit busy for my liking, but I really like the idea of having in hang out in reserve until I either sacrifice a hand to get it back, or have a bad hand and take the chance to hit the other players.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 21, 2019, 10:28:09 pm »

Yeah I’ve also playtested lumberjack, glacier, copper mine, and ice sculptures. Copper mine was very useful at the beginning of the game, but as the game went along it got used less and less.

Crossbow/bolts and elk mount were the latest additions to snowline so I’ll create them last, and along with outhouse.

Oh nerai what think about outhouse I wanted to create a 1$ costing card like poor house.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.