Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Snowline fan-based expansion.  (Read 36486 times)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Snowline fan-based expansion.
« on: October 17, 2018, 12:15:46 am »
+2

My snowline expansion:

Sled dogs

Firn village

Snow shoes

Hot springs

Hibernating bear

Log cabin

Fur coat

Blizzard

A Crisp Day

Wolves

Carcass

Frigid village

Lodge

Snowy owl

Lumberjack

Cold storage

Fishing hole

Copper mine

Glacier

Igloo

Churl

Drifter

Mountaineer

Hunter

Fur trader

Eagles

Horse rider

Old barn

Vandal

Outlaw

Sell sword

Hedge knight
[img width=300]https://i.imgur.com/y5cuQ2G.jpg[img]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:27:04 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Snowline fan-based expansion.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:29:05 am »

Hedgeknight

Warden

Ice sculptures

Snowman

Weasel

Freezing forest

Cliff

Climbing gear

Yeti
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:35:25 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 12:37:28 am »

This is hibernating bear. They say you should never wake a bear. Well as long as you stick to duration cards and reserve cards you have nothing to worry about.

This is a stronger version of enchantress but with some restrictions.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:18:15 am by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 03:19:16 am »
+1

Finally figured out how to post the pictures.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 04:36:09 am »

Hibernating Beat is too nasty compared to Enchantress.
Hot Springs looks fine but it is is too similar to Mystic and Tunnel for my taste.

Sled Dogs is a cool idea. I don't think it needs the restrictions though. Ratcatcher or Duplicate landing directly on your Tavern mat is strong but I think that the card can get away with it.
What seems like a mistake is that the card always puts stuff on the mat, that leads to massive piling and too much stuff on your mat. Also, gaining to hand looks to good.

I'd change it like this:

Sled Dogs
$4
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up).
If it is face down, put an Action card from the Supply that costs up to 4 onto your Tavern mat.
If it is face up, discard a card from your Tavern mat.

I don't think that you need restrictions on only discarding Actions from the Tavern mat as you don't want Miser's Coppers back in your deck.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 12:59:17 pm »

I agree with Holunder9 about Hibernating Bear and Hot Springs. For Hibernating Bear, consider there may not be other Durations or Reserves in the Supply.

Sled Dogs: This seems like a Lurker variant. Since the Tavern mat is not communal like the Trash, Sled Dogs avoids the player interaction that keeps Lurker in check; I worry Sled Dogs is too strong, especially as a cantrip. I would keep the discarding as non-Reserve Action cards: You could play a single Wine Merchant multiple times per turn, discarding it with Sled Dogs. It also limits some Possession abuse with Distant Lands, etc. I also wonder if people will think on-gain effects should happen when you move a card from the Supply to your Tavern mat. Below is a version that actually gains the card, but could be wonky:

Sled Dogs
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then if it's face down, gain an Action card onto your Tavern mat costing up to $4. If it's face up, discard a non-Reserve Action card from your Tavern mat.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 09:59:06 pm »

How’s this?

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 10:15:22 pm »
+1

There’s already sort of a cantrip gainer: Cobbler.  Cobblers are card neutral, in the sense of pushing a card from one hand to the next.  Sled Dogs are not quite card neutral, since every other play increases your hand size.  While you need to play two Sled dogs to get this effect, they also skip shuffles less often since they aren’t durations.  Overall, Sled Dogs seem about as powerful as Cobbler, possibly more so.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:24:56 pm »

How’s this?
Some wording fixes: Capitalize Duration and Reserve, and say non-Duration non-Reserve card. Hope I don't come off as critical; just trying to make the cards seem more professional.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 10:50:58 pm »

Okay then but saying non-duration changes the card to the exact opposite. I don’t want this attack card to affect duration and reserves. Saying non means it doesn’t affect normal actions, which is what I don’t want.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 10:56:25 pm »

Okay then but saying non-duration changes the card to the exact opposite. I don’t want this attack card to affect duration and reserves. Saying non means it doesn’t affect normal actions, which is what I don’t want.
I mean, 'Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays a non-Duration non-Reserve Action card, they get +1 Card, +1 Action instead of following its instructions, then discards a card.'

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 11:03:19 pm »

So for one thing cobbler is in nocturne. I hated nocturne! I’m not buying it. I did sorta like the idea of night cards. So I might make my own fan based night cards. The reason why I even made a whole fan based expansion was because of the disappointment with nocturne.

There are about 10 other cards in snowline that will be using the journey token. Snowline is going to be like adventures. It will also have some cards similar to dark ages like hermit/madman, urchin/mercenary. There will be 2 new travelers as well. Tons of other attacks and a few reactions and some similar to reactions. With lots of other durations and reserves.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 11:04:28 pm »

Oh okay wait a few minutes let’s see if I can make it more professional now that I understand

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 11:12:10 pm »

Is that better?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:16:00 pm by ClouduHieh »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 11:17:27 pm »

The 'or a' between non-Duration and non-Reserve makes both phrases meaningless. Just 'plays a non-Duration non-Reserve Action card' would work. Also, Reserve and Duration should be capitalized in the bottom, but I'm not sure you need that. Just because there might not be cards with those types doesn't mean there needs to be. Also, if you do keep it, you would only need the Reserve part because Hibernating Bear is already a Duration card.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 11:30:28 pm »

So for one thing cobbler is in nocturne. I hated nocturne! I’m not buying it. I did sorta like the idea of night cards. So I might make my own fan based night cards. The reason why I even made a whole fan based expansion was because of the disappointment with nocturne.

There are about 10 other cards in snowline that will be using the journey token. Snowline is going to be like adventures. It will also have some cards similar to dark ages like hermit/madman, urchin/mercenary. There will be 2 new travelers as well. Tons of other attacks and a few reactions and some similar to reactions. With lots of other durations and reserves.
Well sure.  But the comparison to Cobbler suggests that the natural price for Sled Dogs is $5.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 11:33:33 pm »

Hmm okay I think about that. In the meantime here’s 3 more. And I might change sled dogs to $5 later as well

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:16:31 pm by ClouduHieh »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 05:26:58 am »

So... You might want to make the width larger or at least remove the white half on all those images. Giving them a width of 100 while having half the image being blank, you effectively have a width of 100. That's tiny.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 05:52:47 am »

Also, whether or not you like Cobbler (or Nocturne) has nothing to say about card balance. Costing a card with comparable or higher strength at 4$ would be imbalanced even if Cobbler didn't exist.
That said, I think you should not exclude Reserves from Sled Dogs, and instead should exclude Victory cards (we don't want to gain Islands or Castles straight to the Tavern Mat). In fact, I think you could just make it "non-Victory". I also think that your grammar and wording is off. In Dominion, a card you add to your own is always "gained" (barring Masquerade), which by convention makes it unneccessary to mention "from the supply". So, I would word the card:

Sled Dogs, Action, 5§
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a non-Victory card costing up to 4$ onto your Tavern Mat. Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face up, put a card from your Tavern Mat into your hand.

If you want it to be a 3$ cost, I suggest following Holunder9's wording (small alterations by me):

Sled Dogs, Action, 3$
+1 Card
+1 Action
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face up, gain a non-Victory card costing up to 4$ to your Tavern Mat. Otherwise, discard a card from your Tavern Mat.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 06:32:28 am »

So for one thing cobbler is in nocturne. I hated nocturne! I’m not buying it.
That's irrelevant for evaluating card strength. I hate Cultist but its existence implies that you cannot make a Looter for $5 that draws 2 cards and does nothing else.
Workshop-Ironworks-Cobbler should always be in the back of one's mind when designing gainers as they are terminals, non-terminals, cantrips (it is a bit more complex, Ironworks is not always non-terminal and Cobbler is arguably weaker than a pure cantrip gainer) and thus have set some rough benchmarks.

Is that better?
There is no reason to excluse Durations (unless you wanna buff Bear himself) and Reserves and this is just Enchantress that draws an extra card. Not novel enough for my taste.

Hmm okay I think about that. In the meantime here’s 3 more. And I might change sled dogs to $5 later as well

This is a pretty good design. I like that there are many interactions among the 3 cards. Firn Village helps the opponents play their Avalanches and Snow Shoes helps the opponents get rid of their Curses or Firn Villages.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 03:14:11 pm »

Originally hibernating bear was just +1 Action. But then someone said it was too nasty. I want hibernating bear to affect reserves at the least. After all they work with the tavern mat. The theme is not to wake the bear from its slumber. However if your heading for the tavern your not likely to wake the bear. I wanted to make at least reserves a way to avoid the bear.

Sort of like how adventures had events that you could buy to avoid swamp hag.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:32:21 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 03:28:06 pm »

Houlonder9 I’m glad you like them. These are the 3 cards similar to dark ages. There’s a couple others that I have yet to show, but I don’t like them as much as these. At first I wanted to make a card with more minus points than curse. With all the different victory cards I thought we could use more curse like cards.

Incase you didn’t know firn is a term used to define a ton of snow compacted on even more snow.

And since it’s got so much compact snow, it would be hard to get rid of. Hence no trash just like fortress. But then I figured even if it’s still a village it’s still too nasty. Originally snow shoes was something else. And then that when I figured it out. Let’s give them an alternative since they can’t trash it. Let’s make snow shoes more like masquerade. Except better! Since they can just leave it on their tavern mat. And for the card they want to transfer.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 06:51:48 pm »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 08:05:14 pm »

This is too good. Your opening cards are supposed to be junk that you want to get rid of or sift through because that makes things more interesting. Why would you ever trash this? It never hurts and always helps, and helps a lot in fact. Since it will never be trashed, it won't make any difference in the game at all, except in obnoxious luck cases like a trashing attack hitting it.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 08:39:14 pm »

Also if Log Cabin gives VP tokens, it doesn't need to be a Victory card. See, e.g. Monument.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.