Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: When to Venture  (Read 16197 times)

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
Re: When to Venture
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 05:04:53 pm »

Remind me again what does farming village place back on my deck? Nothing. Is it better than simple village? I say yes. Why?

Likewise what about hunting party? It places nothing back on my deck and skips a bunch of stuff. Again if I'm skipping stuff to find good stuff I'm happy. If it is venture hunting for my plats or hunting party venturing forth to my mountebank; skipping all the crap and getting to play either (plats or mountebanks) again sooner is good.

Further with cartographer, I do a little happy dance inside when I see that it has hit 4 curses or 4 greens. This means that I don't have waste precious hand space on that garbage this shuffle.

Over the course of game, venture means that you will have fewer dead cards in hand and instead will have something useful. Further it will increase the speed with which you get back to the cards that just bought you a province.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 05:15:00 pm »
+1

Remind me again what does farming village place back on my deck? Nothing. Is it better than simple village? I say yes. Why?

It is better than a simple village for your current hand, not for your next one.

Likewise what about hunting party? It places nothing back on my deck and skips a bunch of stuff. Again if I'm skipping stuff to find good stuff I'm happy. If it is venture hunting for my plats or hunting party venturing forth to my mountebank; skipping all the crap and getting to play either (plats or mountebanks) again sooner is good.

The HP is again, better for your current hand, not necessarily for your next one.

Further with cartographer, I do a little happy dance inside when I see that it has hit 4 curses or 4 greens. This means that I don't have waste precious hand space on that garbage this shuffle.

And in the case when you hit four Grand Markets, you do your happy dance that the Cartographer can put those cards back and not discard them. If it couldn't, then it wouldn't be a very good play.

Over the course of game, venture means that you will have fewer dead cards in hand and instead will have something useful. Further it will increase the speed with which you get back to the cards that just bought you a province.

It does increase cycling speed. That is a good thing, typically.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 05:21:03 pm »
+2

For the case of a venture, it gets the following things OFF the top of your deck and therefore OUT of your next hand.

Zero to some number of green cards from the top of the deck.
One treasure.

Remember, getting the green off the top of your deck makes your next hand better, but, for the same reason, getting the treasure off the top of your deck makes your next hand worse. So yes, it's a good thing if it happens to skip green; but it's a bad thing (FOR YOUR NEXT HAND) if it skips zero green cards and plays a treasure.  On average, the ratio of Green to Treasure that you discard is the same as the ratio of green to treasure in your remaining deck, so playing a Venture does not, on average, improve your next hand, unless the top of your deck is known to have green cards.

When analyzing venture, you should focus on cycling speed, which it increases, and what it does in your current hand (which is pretty good). Not on what it does to your next hand.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:40:19 pm by ftl »

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 05:22:06 pm »

I wrote a long post but ftl expressed the same thoughts more clearly and concisely. Thanks! I only need to point out that cycling is bad when you are greening.

Oh, also, hunting party is a strange case because HP decks trigger tons of reshuffles. If you're in that situation, a totally different kind of analysis applies that's based on whether you want to trigger reshuffles.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:29:39 pm by blueblimp »

Catalytic

• Steward
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 05:38:51 pm »

jomini: Thank you again; this discussion has been very helpful and I am learning things I would not have thought of without the input of yourself and a number of other very helpful posters.

1)  I didn't claim that a Venture chain would never be feasible but the more limited claim that 1) it needs a very helpful board to be viable and 2) that there is no strategy that would be preferable.  The Chapel/Ironworks/Highway combo is big help in my sense of the term and I wonder if that combo is available if there is not a better all things considered strategy (of course, this is completely a board dependent claim).

I think where we are butting heads in the limited trashing case is whether Spice Merchant or Moneylender would be better put in always going Gold at $6 or whether we might bypass the $6 and try to set up a Venture chain.  My guess is that one at a time trashing is too slow to set up a viable chain before it is time to green.  I did some samples on this and it turns out that you will only get to trash 3 or 4 coppers before it is time to start greening (assuming a normal paced game, that is, minimal, weaker attacks).  The remaining coppers will clog Venture chain and I don't think it can work.

2) I need to mess with the simulators a little more and see if the green tolerance claim comes out.  I think we both think it will work but it needs a little more testing.

4) Your thoughts on Colony games are appreciated.  I think we agree that the multiple Venture combo is only feasible with good trashing options since we need to get those Coppers and Silvers out of the way (assuming we needed the silvers anyway).  But, we have to get the Coppers out of the way otherwise the enterprise is likely stuck in neutral.

5) In a slow Province game, Forge could work, I agree.  I guess part of the problem is my background assumptions in the piece; I am really thinking about BM+Enabler+Venture decks and those decks tend to be most feasible in the cases where it will not be a long drawn out game.  If it is, then a lot of what I say might be moot though Venture can smooth out a curse split, light cursing and can help short circuit various attacks.  Second, I wonder if Venture-Forge really have great synergy as I mentioned.  So, I wonder if the strength of your claim comes from how good Forge can be (for instance, the thought that Forge forces the other player to win the Province split) rather than any natural relationship between the two.

Anyway, thanks again; your comments have been incredibly helpful.

Catalytic

• Steward
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 06:52:30 pm »

ftl:  I think you have exposed the issue here; I think we have been circling around it and let's see if this garners everyone's approval.

The question is:  when does Venture help your next hand?  We will answer this by merely pointing to money density remaining after playing Venture.

Let's assume that my deck has only treasure and green and more treasure than green.

1.  If Venture hits a Treasure off the top of my deck then this hand is improved but chances are that my next hand is worse since my money density is decreased.

2. If Venture hits a Green then a Treasure then this hand is improved and my next hand is probably improved since my money density is increased.

This should follow since if I have more treasure than green, taking out one green and one treasure means I have less of a chance of hitting a green next turn.

For instance, if I have 7 Treasure and 3 Green, and only draw one card on my following turn, I have a 70% chance of hitting a Treasure.  But, if I play Venture and it removes one Treasure and one Green from my draw deck, then I now have 6 Treasures and 2 Green remaining and the chances that I draw a treasure with one card is now 75%.

Does everyone agree with those two claims?

Now, imagine a deck with more green then treasure.

1.  If I play Venture and hit a treasure on my next draw, this hand is improved and my next hand is probably worsened since my money density again decreases.

2.  If I play Venture and hit a green on my next draw and then a treasure, this hand is improved and my next hand is probably worsened since my money density again decreases (this is the opposite case made from above).

Now, what is more often the case?  Well, the former (where I have more Treasure than Green) in all standard cases.  In that case, Venture will help probably help your next hand to the degree that you will probably hit one or more Greens but not when you have more Green then Treasure as the latter case showed.

So the following claims should be right:

1) The closer we get to 50% green saturation the more likely that Venture will benefit our next hand since it becomes increasingly likely that I will discard at least one Green card.

2) But, also, the closer we get to 50% green saturation, the benefit to our next hand becomes less probable since our ratio of Green:Treasure is closer to 1:1.  So, 1 & 2 pull in opposite directions.

3) The closer our green saturation is 1:1, the more likely it becomes that I can discard multiple Green for one more Treasure card thus increasing the probability that my next hand is improved (since I can remove one Treasure and multiple Green).

What does all of this mean?  Heck if I know.  Maybe I just drop any claim about it improving your next hand unless you know the top of your deck is green.

I will think about how to incorporate the issue of cycling speed into the article.  Thank you everyone for a very fruitful discussion.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:58:11 pm by Catalytic »

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 07:19:08 pm »
+1

Played blindly, without triggering a shuffle, Venture doesn't help or hurt your next hand at all, on average, regardless of the amount it green in  your deck.

Imagine if your draw pile is Estate, Estate, Copper, Estate, Estate, Copper, etc.  Play Venture.  Yes, it skips 2 Estates, but what did it do to change your next hand?  It didn't do anything to modify your draw pile composition beyond the Copper.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 07:29:36 pm »

ftl:  I think you have exposed the issue here; I think we have been circling around it and let's see if this garners everyone's approval.

The question is:  when does Venture help your next hand?  We will answer this by merely pointing to money density remaining after playing Venture.

Let's assume that my deck has only treasure and green and more treasure than green.

1.  If Venture hits a Treasure off the top of my deck then this hand is improved but chances are that my next hand is worse since my money density is decreased.

2. If Venture hits a Green then a Treasure then this hand is improved and my next hand is probably improved since my money density is increased.

This should follow since if I have more treasure than green, taking out one green and one treasure means I have less of a chance of hitting a green next turn.

For instance, if I have 7 Treasure and 3 Green, and only draw one card on my following turn, I have a 70% chance of hitting a Treasure.  But, if I play Venture and it removes one Treasure and one Green from my draw deck, then I now have 6 Treasures and 2 Green remaining and the chances that I draw a treasure with one card is now 75%.

This is correct.

Now, imagine a deck with more green then treasure.

1.  If I play Venture and hit a treasure on my next draw, this hand is improved and my next hand is probably worsened since my money density again decreases.

2.  If I play Venture and hit a green on my next draw and then a treasure, this hand is improved and my next hand is probably worsened since my money density again decreases (this is the opposite case made from above).

This is also correct.

Now, what is more often the case?  Well, the former (where I have more Treasure than Green) in all standard cases.  In that case, Venture will help probably help your next hand to the degree that you will probably hit one or more Greens but not when you have more Green then Treasure as the latter case showed.

"In that case, Venture will probably help your next hand" is incorrect, because if you have more treasure than green, the most likely case is that Venture hits a Treasure straight away, reducing your treasure density. This damages your next hand on average. So the opposite is actually true: in a deck with a lot of treasure, the most likely case is that Venture will hurt your next hand--but only a little.

On the other hand, it's great if it does happen to hit a few greens and discards them. This case isn't very likely, but it helps your subsequent hands quite a bit (on average). It turns out that these effects exactly counter-balance each other, so the average effect of Venture on your next hand is neutral. By "average effect", I mean the expected value of the change in treasure density.

So the following claims should be right:

1) The closer we get to 50% green saturation the more likely that Venture will benefit our next hand since it becomes increasingly likely that I will discard at least one Green card.

2) But, also, the closer we get to 50% green saturation, the benefit to our next hand becomes less probable since our ratio of Green:Treasure is closer to 1:1.  So, 1 & 2 pull in opposite directions.

3) The closer our green saturation is 1:1, the more likely it becomes that I can discard multiple Green for one more Treasure card thus increasing the probability that my next hand is improved (since I can remove one Treasure and multiple Green).

What does all of this mean?  Heck if I know.  Maybe I just drop any claim about it improving your next hand unless you know the top of your deck is green.

I will think about how to incorporate the issue of cycling speed into the article.  Thank you everyone for a very fruitful discussion.

Yeah all this sounds right. The cool thing is that the effects counter-balance each other exactly, in a precise way. I didn't expect that until I simmed it.

Edit: By the way, there is a lot of room for criticizing any model that only considers your next hand. For example, imagine you are going for Dukes: would you rather your draw deck consist of 20 coppers or 5 coppers? Either way, your next hand is the same, but usually the 20 coppers are better because that guarantees you a Duke on each of your next 4 turns, whereas the 5 coppers only guarantee you a Duke on your next turn. (On the other hand, what if you have Highway KC Ironworks in your discard? You might want to cycle these faster so you can get a 3 Duke turn! This is an example of why it's difficult to analyze reshuffles.)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:36:32 pm by blueblimp »

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 11:49:27 am »

BB:

I get that venture sucks out green & treasure to leave an average hand in the deck remaining. However, if the deck is finite we will have reshuffles so venture can improve your next hand by moving treasure from your discard into draw deck as well. In particular, this doesn't work for me:

This doesn't make sense to me. If you're greening, cycling is a bad thing, not a good thing. Skipping over green is (on average) a wash, since it doesn't improve the cards you draw after the treasure venture plays. Additionally, Venture is at its best in decks that have a lot of treasures that are better than Silvers, and I expect this to be less the case in typical alternative green decks.

If you are greening, cycling tends to be a good thing, just not as good as when you are buying value adding cards. Think about it this way, you have enough cash in hand to buy a province. Is your deck or your discard more likely to have higher coin density? In most cases, the discard is the correct answer - we KNOW that there is at least 8 coin in it and it is more likely to be the dense coin. This is why if you are playing BM/Chancellor and you hit gold/gold/chancellor you normally want to reshuffle immediately - you are unlikely to have too many more golds and the money density is going to drop precipitiously in the rest of the deck (for instance a deck of 7 copper, 3 estates, 4 silvers, chancellor, 2 golds, and a province before this buy will have a money density of 1.15 while the discard has a money density of 1.33).

Another thing to think about is how quickly you get to reuse high value treasures. If we have light trashing and a few big high variance cards like gold or plat, then the more times we see those, the better our odds of hitting major price points. This makes cycling while greening very good. Even if your plat is still in the draw deck, venture can't miss and it we want to get to our second hand with that plat ASAP to have another shot at those colonies (or provinces).

Being able to cycle faster and skip the green cards categorically improves your deck and almost always lets you green sooner. For instance the chancellor/stash combo works so well because you can pile on duchies very early and rarely see them when you reshuffle. Likewise, golem decks can green out early as the green cards have less impact as you blow past them for actions. You can green an awful lot earlier with golem because you cycle faster (getting the sweet cards you just played back into your deck sooner) and selectively skip the green.

ecq

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 12:11:46 pm »
+1

If you are greening, cycling tends to be a good thing, just not as good as when you are buying value adding cards. Think about it this way, you have enough cash in hand to buy a province. Is your deck or your discard more likely to have higher coin density? In most cases, the discard is the correct answer - we KNOW that there is at least 8 coin in it and it is more likely to be the dense coin. This is why if you are playing BM/Chancellor and you hit gold/gold/chancellor you normally want to reshuffle immediately - you are unlikely to have too many more golds and the money density is going to drop precipitiously in the rest of the deck (for instance a deck of 7 copper, 3 estates, 4 silvers, chancellor, 2 golds, and a province before this buy will have a money density of 1.15 while the discard has a money density of 1.33).

This is not the case.  Cycling is, on average, very bad when greening.  Sure, it can be good, but it's not typically so.  Let's say I offer you one of two decks to draw a hand from.  I tell you that they each have 15 cards that are identical, but the second deck has 3 extra Duchies mixed in.  Which one would you rather draw from?

In your example, you've played a hand or two, though, so I take 10 cards off the top of each of my two piles and set them aside.  Did that change your decision?

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 12:44:01 pm »
+1

Wouldn't it depends on how you cycle? If you're blowing past everything bad and getting to play your good cards, then cycling is great. But that's cycling plus sifting. If you're just cycling past cards fast, regardless of whether they're good for you or not, then cycling while greening is bad.

Compare:

Chancellor-Stash are epic because you get to play your good cards (your four stashes) every reshuffle, since you can set them on top, and then you use a chancellor to literally skip the entire rest of your deck.

However, if you stick a Chancellor into, say, a Village-Torturer engine, then suddenly you find that once you start greening, you DON'T want to chancellor your deck a lot of the time! Then, you want to chancellor ONLY if you've already played most of your good cards this shuffle. So the more selectivity you get, the better cycling is.

But if you get NO selectivity - if you ALWAYS cycle past the same number of cards each shuffle, regardless of whether they're good or bad - then cycling brings your good cards around faster, but also your bad cards around faster, so the effect is good if your discard is better than your deck, and bad if your discard is worse than your deck. Am I missing something there?

If you are greening, cycling tends to be a good thing, just not as good as when you are buying value adding cards. Think about it this way, you have enough cash in hand to buy a province.

But what if you don't have enouugh cash in hand to buy a province? If your hand is chancellor, copper, copper, copper, province, nothing else in your discard pile, and it's late in the game that you want to spend that $5 on a duchy, you certainly don't want to chancellor your deck into your discard after that turn!

Venture cycling does give you some selectivity though - it only cycles past green cards, so it does help you play the treasures more often. So that's definitely in Venture's favor.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 01:06:13 pm »
+1

Wouldn't it depends on how you cycle? If you're blowing past everything bad and getting to play your good cards, then cycling is great. But that's cycling plus sifting. If you're just cycling past cards fast, regardless of whether they're good for you or not, then cycling while greening is bad.
I agree with most of your points but...
The cycling is STILL bad here. It's just that the sifting is good, and that generally outweighs. But the cycling and the sifting are ENTIRELY different things.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 03:22:15 pm »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mine. Yes, it conflicts with the $5 price point. But it improves the money density in your deck a lot and you can mine your Silvers right into Ventures, so it should help you get a lot of them. I wonder if someone (I would do it but I'm at work) would want to modify the Mine-bot to see whether it does better off mining some Silvers into Ventures rather than Golds.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

ecq

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 07:09:49 pm »

I was talking about the average case.  On average, it's bad to cycle while greening.  If you're buying nothing but victory cards and you draw a Chancellor, you should choose not to reshuffle most of the time (Stash combos aside), because most of the time the expected value of a hand from your entire deck will be worse than the expected value of a hand from just your draw pile.  Sometimes that won't hold, but holds more often than not.

Venture cycling does give you some selectivity though - it only cycles past green cards, so it does help you play the treasures more often. So that's definitely in Venture's favor.

Venture is only worth what it draws.  If you play it blindly and it doesn't cause you to reshuffle, it does nothing, on average, to your next hand.  It might skip 3 Duchies, and yes, that's good.  It might also hit a Gold immediately, which is good for your current hand but not for your next.  All the scenarios average out.  Think about what Venture draws.  It draws an off-the-cuff poor approximation of your money density: a single sample of the number of non-treasure cards you have to encounter before finding a treasure.

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 07:28:18 pm »

ECQ: But you won't have 15 otherwise identical cards most of the time in an actual game, that is my point. I get the basic math, adding a duchy decreases money density of whichever stack it is in. That being said, the stacks are rarely equal. If one of them tends to contain more money, then you want to play that deck more. When you've bought a province, you know you have 8 coin, and very likely 8 dense coin, in the discard. Unless you have a low variance BM strategy going on (e.g. BM/envoy), you will find that cycling can be a net benefit with venture.

If I understand your question rightly, I have something around a 30-40 card deck and I have a province buying hand of gold/gold/chancellor. In that case I am going to want to know the composition of the deck, but generally in BM decks 8 coin should be at the upper end of your variance distribution. In that case I have a better than average hand going into the discard and average hands already in the discard and average hands in the draw deck - chancellor all the way. Now for something where I have low variance, sure don't chancellor. The easiest example is a hand of

I get that venture doesn't help your next hand inately, however it gets you closer to a reshuffle. Think about it this way, if you've just seen all four of your golds go into a province buy, would you rather wait one turn or two turns to see it again?

FTL:
Yes I know, you get to play all your goodies every time you reshuffle in a stash/chancellor deck. Suppose I have a deck of 5 ventures, two plats, and a forge. Most reshuffles, this deck will ALSO play all its big treasures and buy a Colony. If I have a surplus venture, of course I want to cycle and get back to the reshuffle and the plats. Stash chancellor is merely an extreme example of this cycling back to some huge payday (for this discussion we can think of the 4 stashes as simply one giant card that reads "place 3 cards back on top of the deck, gain a province" - cycling back to that card as often as possible is what you want), all ventures/plats is merely an extreme example of venture cycling/sifting. Now do you want to cycle past your big payout cards (e.g. witch, expand, council room, etc.)? No. But venture cycling, like HP and farming village rarely skips the goodies.

At the end of the day we can look back to money distribution. In a normal BM deck a green card has a coin value of 0 and a space of 1. In a venture deck the coin value remains 0 but its space is <1. For some percentage of the time we will draw the green with the venture whereas all the other cards in a BM deck will always have to be drawn in place of something else. Venture is more green tolerant no matter what terms we use to describe the deck, you simply don't see green as often and can have more of it in your deck than would otherwise be sustainible. The extreme cases make this plain, the light trashing options make this less evident, but it still is there.

Frankly, I'm still at a loss here as to why BB maintains that venture cycling is a bad thing. It only cycles past worthless cards and when it might actually matter (at the end of the game when you hunting the last few provinces/duchies), it helps.

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 07:31:05 pm »

On a completely unrelated note, I'd add that tunnel synergizes quite well with venture and trashing (heavy preferred, but tunnel can be a good mid-game buy if you have a lot of ventures and fewer golds). 2VP now and some percentage odds of getting a gold in time to be useful is going to be better than silver pretty quick on some boards and better than venture later on others.

ecq

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 09:11:33 pm »

ECQ: But you won't have 15 otherwise identical cards most of the time in an actual game, that is my point. I get the basic math, adding a duchy decreases money density of whichever stack it is in. That being said, the stacks are rarely equal. If one of them tends to contain more money, then you want to play that deck more. When you've bought a province, you know you have 8 coin, and very likely 8 dense coin, in the discard. Unless you have a low variance BM strategy going on (e.g. BM/envoy), you will find that cycling can be a net benefit with venture.

If I understand your question rightly, I have something around a 30-40 card deck and I have a province buying hand of gold/gold/chancellor. In that case I am going to want to know the composition of the deck, but generally in BM decks 8 coin should be at the upper end of your variance distribution. In that case I have a better than average hand going into the discard and average hands already in the discard and average hands in the draw deck - chancellor all the way. Now for something where I have low variance, sure don't chancellor. The easiest example is a hand of

I get that venture doesn't help your next hand inately, however it gets you closer to a reshuffle. Think about it this way, if you've just seen all four of your golds go into a province buy, would you rather wait one turn or two turns to see it again?

It's easy to construct situations where cycling late in the game is a good thing.  Yes, if you just watched all your Gold go by, you probably want to get through your deck ASAP.  But on average, when greening, it's a bad thing. 

Specifically, I'm saying that if you have a Chancellor in your deck, no Stashes, and you're at the stage where you're buying Victory cards often, it will be better treat it as a terminal Silver and skip the deck discard more often than not.  If you're greening, then what's going into your discard is, on average, worse than what's in your draw pile.  So, again on average, you do not want to shuffle it into your draw pile.

Maybe this comes down to differing definitions of "greening?"  Two features of greening: (a) you're choosing dead victory cards instead of treasure or more useful actions on nearly every turn (b) $8 hands are becoming more sporadic because of said dead victory cards.  It seems obvious to me that you'd rarely want to put the cards from (a) in your draw pile, because they'll just make (b) worse.

Venture is a great card.  It's also great at resisting greening, but only because of its money-seeking ability, not because of its deck-cycling ability or non-existent filtering ability.  The deck cycling is generally a late-game drawback, but it's easily outweighed by the free $1 with replacement treasure in your current hand.

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 02:53:20 am »

ECQ:
It depends on the variance in your deck. Venture hits all the treasures in your deck so there is no chance of skipping the payout cards (unlike all the blind cycling examples in this thread). In a high variance situation, you want to cycle through the deck as many times as possible to get more chances at lining up your dense treasures. Now because chancellor is optional, you can keep track and not cycle when your odds are better with the draw deck, but in the greening stage it can be better to roll the dice again for more (increasingly worse) shots at lining up a province than slowly duchy dancing yourself to death.

With your chancellor example, your chancellor is not garunteed to find your payout cards before the reshuffle - venture is. Again go back to the extreme high variance case - ventures & plats. Unlike the chancellor, venture's cycling will always pass through your plats and you will always play them. So while blind chancelloring is just as likely to skip playing your plats this shuffle as to accelerate your game, blind venturing doesn't. There is a reason I attached the chancellor to your treasures and don't work with blind cycling here - venture doesn't do that. You cannot miss your treasures with venture and you will rarely have them miss a reshuffle (excepting in cases where they'd miss it anyways).

At the end of the day I'm still looking for a reason why venture + silver costs more than gold and why venture can be freely substituted for gold in simulations even before your average treasure density would merit it. IIf it isn't the cycling/sifting/not seeing those green cards this turn, I'd be interested in knowing what drives those value calculations.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 03:11:10 am »

At the end of the day I'm still looking for a reason why venture + silver costs more than gold and why venture can be freely substituted for gold in simulations even before your average treasure density would merit it. IIf it isn't the cycling/sifting/not seeing those green cards this turn, I'd be interested in knowing what drives those value calculations.

Some possible reasons:
  • Cycling is really good early, so even though it's a little bad when greening, I expect it's still beneficial overall.
  • Even if, at the time you buy your venture, your money density is not high enough to support it, your money density might be high enough by the time you play it, since that will be several turns later. The second time you play it, your money density should be even better.
  • A venture is a high-variance treasure, because it can hit a gold and be worth $4 (or even venture then a gold and be worth $5). High-variance treasures are good when greening, because getting $8/$2 is better than $5/$5.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:13:15 am by blueblimp »

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 04:14:10 am »

From the other thread, here is a simple way to think about the effect of Venture. Imagine that Venture draws cards from the bottom of your deck instead of the top. If you didn't know the order of your draw deck beforehand, this is equivalent to drawing cards from the top.

For example, this shows that if you're a while away from your next reshuffle, Venture effectively doesn't change your next hand.

(If you do know the top few cards of your deck and they aren't treasures, then imagine that after Venture reveals them, then it starts drawing cards from the bottom of your deck. This way you can apply this viewpoint even when Rabble is in play.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:17:29 am by blueblimp »

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 05:52:44 pm »

I am surprised there isn't more love for venture/loan in this thread. Seems a decent combination (especially in Colony games, of course).
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 20 queries.