Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Thought exercise: nerfs and buffs  (Read 42244 times)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Thought exercise: nerfs and buffs
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2011, 12:45:29 pm »
+1

Chapel - This card is severely under priced at $2. There are more threads on the rare occasions that you should not pick up a chapel rather than ones where you should. I buy it in nearly every set up of cards that includes it. Raised to 3$ would solve the 5/2 Chapel imbalance. Raised to $4 might have people contimplating not picking it up. Reducing 4 trashed cards to 3 could work too.

I think Donald has commented on this, and I agree with him there. Raising it to 3 will not solve the imbalance, it will just shift it. You will most likely open Chapel/nothing against Chapel/Silver or even Chapel/Militia when you start 5/2 vs 4/3 and Chapel would cost $3.
It is also clear that Chapel is "to cheap" with $2 compared to its power. It would be to cheap with $3 also. But the thing is, you just want it at the beginning, and you want just one. It could cost $0 and the game would not really change. So the important point is not to balance the cost to its power, but to balance it for the games to be as fair as possible. The cost of Chapel does not change the game (unless it costs at least $5), as anyway you want and will buy exactly one in the beginning (in most scenarios).

You can now argue if the fairer spot is $2, possibly allowing Chapel/Mountebank for the 5/2-Start, or $3 allowing Chapel/Militia and at least Chapel/Silver against Chapel/nothing, or $4 which is at least is a little bit fairer for the 5/2-start, but still not nice to be more or less guaranteed a silver behind. While at $2 at least the buying power of both 5/2 and 4/3 are the same, there's "just" the bonus of the $5card.
Probably that's really a matter of taste, I just wanted to point out that Chapek for $3 does at all rule out the imbalance of different starting hands at all.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:47:46 pm by DStu »

HockeyHippo

• Scout
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2011, 02:35:27 pm »

I agree with you that because it's so powerful it is hard to balance it's cost to it's power. Perhaps reducing the number of cards trashed to 3 would be helpful but it's hard to say for sure without testing it.

I only claimed that raising chapel to 3 would solve the 5/2 imbalance of openings such as Mountebank/Chapel. No matter what if you have different starting hands one is going to be more powerful than the other, it just is. But Mountebank/Chapel(similarly Witch/Chapel) is exceptionally strong and I(and I think many others) feel it's too powerful for an opening.

All of your points you are assuming you are buying a Chapel that turn. However the point of balancing the card is to encourage other strategies to be considered.

If you raise the Chapel to 3$ and you start with 5/2 you need to think of how much the chapel is worth you. Do you really want Chapel bad enough to open Chapel/2 Card, or is another strategy more optimal here. That is the reason why we are discussing balancing.

Another must buy card in my opinion is Ambassador. I don't like this card, I don't even like playing it. But it's a near must buy. I'm trying to think of ways to balance it. It should definitely be at 4, even though I doubt that would change very many strategies. It's a tough one!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:38:46 pm by HockeyHippo »

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2011, 02:53:37 pm »

I actually like Ambassador at $3 and $5 better than at $4.  The reason is that at $4, you can do Ambassador/Silver, a strong opening, but not Ambassador/Ambassador, which is quite different but also strong.

At $3, you can do either one, requiring a strategical decision.  At $4, the decision is made for you, so there's less strategy required.  At $5, you have strategic options again, because both dominating Ambassador openings are taken away from you, and you have a new decision to make about how (or if) to put Ambassador in play.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2011, 03:45:36 pm »
+1

I think Donald has commented on this, and I agree with him there. Raising it to 3 will not solve the imbalance, it will just shift it. You will most likely open Chapel/nothing against Chapel/Silver or even Chapel/Militia when you start 5/2 vs 4/3 and Chapel would cost $3.
It is also clear that Chapel is "to cheap" with $2 compared to its power. It would be to cheap with $3 also. But the thing is, you just want it at the beginning, and you want just one. It could cost $0 and the game would not really change. So the important point is not to balance the cost to its power, but to balance it for the games to be as fair as possible. The cost of Chapel does not change the game (unless it costs at least $5), as anyway you want and will buy exactly one in the beginning (in most scenarios).

Just a counter point (note that I am not advocating a 3 cost chapel).  The same argument for "well, if chapels cost 3, then Silver / Chapel is better than "Chapel / Nothing, and you're behind a silver".  That same logic applies to other "important" turn 1/2 buys.

I'm sure that other folks here can relate to the excitement a 5/2 opening... and then seeing any one of the following cards on the baord

- Sea Hag
- Ambassador
- Familiar (early potion becomes an important buy)
- Masquerade (maybe)

So you end up opening powercard / nothing, and you're behind a silver for the entire game.  The same argument for chapel costing 2 would argue in favor of some of those cards costing 2. (Yikes!)

Ultimately, I think the only thing to do is
1. Take a deep breath.
2. Recognize that dominion can frequently have an early luck component that will drastically shift your win probability in a way that is hardly fair
3. Do one of the following things
-- a. Accept it and play another hand of dominion (optional: gripe about the loss of your rank)
-- b. Play an unofficial variant (identical starting hands, choose your split, ban the cards you think are unfair)
-- c. Go play chess.  I'm told that there's no randomness there.

That being said, I curse like a sailor every time I draw 2P / 4Copper on a familiar board, and my opponent gets Lab / Familiar on turns 3/4. 

Keep calm and respawn?

I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2011, 04:31:05 pm »

Well, if it wasn't for luck, there wouldn't be many people wanting to play each other. Each player would hit his or her ceiling at some point and not many continue from there, only the most driven.

Luck has a tendency of luring people in. Giving them a win every once and a while keeps them coming back.

Hey, I like it that with a little luck and decent play I have a fair chance against someone 10 levels up, but this also means I have to accept that same luck can bite me in the ass when I'm playing someone 10 levels below me.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2011, 01:42:58 pm »

Most of these suggestions are pretty silly, but there are actually a few changes I would make. 

In general, I can think of three different types of changes: a) nerfing a card because it's too powerful, b) boosting a card because it's too useless, and c) tweaking a card to correct an oversight or eliminate a particularly unwanted or unpleasant edge case combination.  The vast, vast majority of card changes I would approve of fall into this final category.  It's okay if some cards are vastly more useful than other cards: Chapel has the greatest misbalance between cost and benefit in the game and it doesn't need to be nerfed, while something like Counting House is normally a horrible buy but it doesn't need a buff: it still gets played.  For a card to really deserve a nerf or a buff it needs to be so well and truly useless such that it makes Chancellor look like a power card, or it needs to not just be must-buy powerful, but must-buy powerful in a particularly obnoxious manner.  And we've established that true "must-buys" hardly exist in Dominion.

Anyway, the edge case changes I'd make, followed by a brief discussion of what cards might actually be so imbalanced as to deserve a true nerf/buff:

* Throne Room ought to have "you may", putting it in line with KC and preventing the possibility of cheating IRL (if there's an action you don't want to play).  Donald X has admitted as such.

* Trading Post probably should have a "you may" as well, to prevent unpleasant interactions with Golem.  This might be a worthwhile addition to the other forced-trashing cards (Remake, Apprentice, Upgrade, Trade Route), but they all present some problems that TP doesn't if you make the trashing optional.  Remake you'd definitely have to do both if you do any; you should have to trash a card to get the action from Apprentice (and both the action and card from Upgrade); Trade Route is the hardest to word because you'd need to *attempt* to trash to get the other benefits, but it should also still be okay to play it on an empty hand and get the buy/money.

* Possession!  I don't want to nerf Possession in general, it's far weaker than its reputation- nerfing Possession is almost as unnecessary as nerfing the already-bad Pirate Ship (seriously, anyone who wants to nerf PS doesn't know what they're doing, and needs to play some 2p games with other actions that give money).   HOWEVER, Possession's interactions with Ambassador and Masquerade are legitimately disgusting- you can lose a Province with no recompense, and it's not even an attack!  That does bother me.  Therefore, I'd propose that any cards which are "returned to Supply" or "passed" on a Possession turn instead get set aside and returned to the deck in the same manner as trashed cards.  Whoever would receive a card from Ambassador/Masquerade can then still take one from the supply.  I think it's fine that you can use them to give yourself a Province or other good card, I just don't think it's fine that you can remove them from someone else's deck, especially since Possession isn't an attack.

I'm sympathetic to suggestions of "Possession can't be Throned or Kinged", since a Kinged Possession is kinda obnoxious, but that change isn't nearly as necessary and I prefer a more minimalist approach.

*To prevent the Goons-KC-Masquerade pin, maybe you only get a card from Masquerade if you have a card to pass?

Now for actual nerfs and buffs!  There are a bunch of things one could do, but there are very few things one ought to do.  As has been discussed to death (and I agree), Chapel shouldn't be nerfed and if that ought to stay the same then there are really very few things which are so imbalanced as to deserve this treatment.  Even super-powerful cards like Hunting Party, Mountebank, and Goons are fine by this metric.  Likewise, most of the weak cards don't really need to be improved, they are almost all useful at least some of the time. 

* I kinda want to improve Adventurer somehow.  Maybe give $1 if you hit two Coppers?  Or perhaps just slap on a +Buy?

*One thing I might consider is to boost Bureaucrat and Scout by allowing them to interact with Curses: make your opponent put a Curse on deck w/Bureaucrat, or draw up those Curses w/Scout.  They're not so useless that they need it to be playable, and this doesn't actually improve them much, but this tweak seems to be in the spirit of the cards at least.  I considered a stronger buff for Bureaucrat, like putting the Silver in hand, but then what do you do with Explorer? 

*Speaking of, Thief and Explorer are the two cards which I find to be so useless that that actually do need a buff to be playable.  Explorer is probably just a blind spot in my play-style, but Thief is actually completely useless in virtually every single Kingdom.  Perhaps you can put the stolen loot on top of your deck?  In your hand?  Give the Thief +1 Card/+1 Action?  It needs something.

*On the other end of the spectrum, there is exactly one card that desperately needs a nerf: Ambassador.  Ambassador is the best card in the game, basically a true must-buy in all but Gardens situations, it's cheap as all get-out, and it's attack becomes obnoxious in a way that even the curse attacks aren't.  I get why it is as cheap and powerful as it is: its power is not immediately apparent to newbies, so there's a "journey of discovery" like you have with Chapel.  But once you're experienced, Chapel games stay fun and Ambassador games become dreary slog-fests where everyone goes Ambassador and the winner is usually just going to be the one who doesn't have his/her two Ambassadors clash, or show up on Turn 5, or whatever.  Among good players, Ambassador is just too powerful to exist in its present form.  Maybe it should cost $4?  Maybe your opponent doesn't get a card if you return two- so you have to choose between maximum thinning and maximum attacking?  Maybe take it even further, and say that they only get a card if you return exactly one to the supply?  This would prevent the midgame from getting too degenerate.  Ugh, something needs to be done about this card.

I kinda want to tone down King's Court as well, but there isn't a good way to do it: making it cost $8 wouldn't actually change much. 
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Blooki

• Bishop
  • I am constantly overmeditated...
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2011, 01:55:21 pm »

Regarding Thief, I think it has the reputation it does because 2-player play is so prevalent in our community. It's a lot more reasonable of a card in 3+ player games w/ few to no non-treasure sources of coin.

chwhite

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2011, 01:58:23 pm »

Regarding Thief, I think it has the reputation it does because 2-player play is so prevalent in our community. It's a lot more reasonable of a card in 3+ player games w/ few to no non-treasure sources of coin.

I played a 3p game a couple weeks back with Thief and no non-treasure sources of coin except for I think Vault.  Both my opponents went Thief, I went straight Vault/BM.  I got like four Golds thieved from me and still won by a very wide margin.

I'm not convinced Thief is even useful in multiplayer.

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2011, 02:07:18 pm »

I played a 3p game a couple weeks back with Thief and no non-treasure sources of coin except for I think Vault.  Both my opponents went Thief, I went straight Vault/BM.  I got like four Golds thieved from me and still won by a very wide margin.

I have no experience to speak of so maybe you're right. I was careful in choosing the words 'more reasonable' though. I can't imagine Thief stays below the Navigator/Fortune Teller/Harvest/Cutpurse/Adventurer (lists like these are always fun because we get to see people rise up and defend them) level of usefulness in such games.

chwhite

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2011, 02:12:49 pm »

I have no experience to speak of so maybe you're right. I was careful in choosing the words 'more reasonable' though. I can't imagine Thief stays below the Navigator/Fortune Teller/Harvest/Cutpurse/Adventurer (lists like these are always fun because we get to see people rise up and defend them) level of usefulness in such games.

I am continually mystified by the inclusion of Cutpurse, which is a good opener, on these lists!  The other cards you listed are kinda bad but I still don't see Thief passing them.

Silverback

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2011, 02:43:49 pm »

Crazy Adventurer idea for leaving it at $6: "If you reveal no treasure other than Copper, +$1."

This would make the first Adventurer strictly better than Gold. In the late game Adventurer is often very likely to create more than 3$, be it through trashing coppers or just spamming Silver, Gold and Platinum. It also cycles through curses and green which makes it a good card in gardens-, dukes- and vineyard-decks.

The fact, that it costs 6$ means, that you have to compare it with Gold. There is some skill involved in deciding which one is better

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2011, 02:46:43 pm »

None of those cards are as bad as thief, really. They are just fairly situation.

1. Harvest is a +$4 action if your deck is set up right. With tacticians, and minions, this can be vital. Also it's a fast deck cycler.
2. Navigator has a good combo with apothecary, harvest, spy, and so on. Also a deck cycler.
3. Cutpurse is great at preventing opponents from reaching $5, and also degrades the effectiveness of chapel.
4. Adventurer is very strong with good copper trashing (e.g. from moneylender), even if effective general trashing is unavailable.
5. ...Okay, fortune teller sucks. I guess it can be used with saboteur?

chwhite

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2011, 03:07:37 pm »
+2

This would make the first Adventurer strictly better than Gold.

You don't need an action to play Gold.

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2011, 03:23:26 pm »

I'm well aware of how to use the cards I've mentioned. :) I think my parenthetical comment made it clear that I was trolling a bit. Again, I reiterate, I am not saying Thief isn't worse than those cards, but rather that as the number of players increase Thief experiences power gains those other cards do not (maybe Cutpurse does to some extent) and I would imagine at least approaches the same tier as some of those.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2011, 10:21:44 pm »

Everybody is underrating thief. It's honestly not that bad. Even in BM games, I'll play a thief at a certain point and take you out. With trashing decks where treasure is still an important source of money, it's quite good. So it's still bad of course, just not SO bad.
And there's multiplayer.

I think the few cards which are pretty clearly the worst, from my perspective, in order, are explorer, adventurer, contraband, talisman, Royal Seal (this is not as bad as Stash, but I'm a little irrational; the rest I actually believe), Stash

chwhite

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2011, 11:11:16 pm »

Everybody is underrating thief. It's honestly not that bad. Even in BM games, I'll play a thief at a certain point and take you out. With trashing decks where treasure is still an important source of money, it's quite good. So it's still bad of course, just not SO bad.
And there's multiplayer.

I think the few cards which are pretty clearly the worst, from my perspective, in order, are explorer, adventurer, contraband, talisman, Royal Seal (this is not as bad as Stash, but I'm a little irrational; the rest I actually believe), Stash

I would love to see an example game of Thief actually working, because I'm pretty sure I've never played one.

I think my "worst cards" list would have to go Thief, Explorer, Secret Chamber, Saboteur, Transmute, Bureaucrat, Moat, Adventurer and then it gets murky.  There'd be a huge gap between Explorer and SC; all the other cards I've listed have their uses but those uses are really few and far between. 

Contraband and Talisman are very situational, but I think they're useful more often than the others I've listed.  All Contraband needs are multiple good $6 cards; all Talisman needs are spammable $3s and $4s (and preferably no power $5s).  These boards are fairly frequent!  More frequent than good Workshop boards, I'd say.  Royal Seal and Stash are low-power and incredibly boring (Stash would in fact be my next-worst $5 after Explorer and Sab), but at least they slot into BM strategies well.  And of course it should go without saying that all of these cards are well below average.

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2011, 01:31:45 am »

And there's multiplayer.

I would love to see an example game of Thief actually working, because I'm pretty sure I've never played one.
I've lost to thief in a BM/Chapel setup.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2011, 01:53:09 am »

I was running a small basically Bishop and money deck, and my opponent had a Quarry, a lot of Villages, Bazaars, Festivals, and King's Courts, but no Treasures; essentially action chaining to no end. Then he realized picking up a few Thieves would wreck me, and it did. He didn't buy his 3 Thieves until Turn 13, just after I went green. Not long after, my deck was down to a Bishop, 1 Gold, a Province and 2 Colonies, and a fair number of VP tokens. (After resignation the log doesn't say how many I had, but the graph indicates it must be about 20) I technically had the lead still, but resigned due to the hopelessness of my scenario.

We both ignored Thief at first, and he told me afterward that he hadn't planned on it, just realized it in the moment.
Game log.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

minced

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2011, 05:47:49 am »

* I kinda want to improve Adventurer somehow.  Maybe give $1 if you hit two Coppers?  Or perhaps just slap on a +Buy?
I'd make adventurer an action/treasure: if played as an action, it does what adventurer does; if played as a treasure, it's worth $2. That way an adventurer can draw adventurers but doesn't allow the absurd chaining that venture does without lots of +actions.

*One thing I might consider is to boost Bureaucrat and Scout by allowing them to interact with Curses: make your opponent put a Curse on deck w/Bureaucrat, or draw up those Curses w/Scout.  They're not so useless that they need it to be playable, and this doesn't actually improve them much, but this tweak seems to be in the spirit of the cards at least.  I considered a stronger buff for Bureaucrat, like putting the Silver in hand, but then what do you do with Explorer? 
I'd agree with this, and it even seems thematic for a scout - he warns you of upcoming danger as well as the lay of the land (green cards).

*Speaking of, Thief and Explorer are the two cards which I find to be so useless that that actually do need a buff to be playable.  Explorer is probably just a blind spot in my play-style, but Thief is actually completely useless in virtually every single Kingdom.  Perhaps you can put the stolen loot on top of your deck?  In your hand?  Give the Thief +1 Card/+1 Action?  It needs something.
I think explorer would be useful with apprentice: draw a ton of cards with apprentice by trashing a gold, use explorer to reveal a province and gain a gold in hand, then buy another province. Disclaimer: I have used explorer effectively exactly *once*.

Thief... well, it helps in over-chapeled games, but masquerade helps more. Thief fights against itself - while its purpose is to get you more money in hand, playing it gives you no money. I'd give it +$2 I guess.

*On the other end of the spectrum, there is exactly one card that desperately needs a nerf: Ambassador.  Ambassador is the best card in the game, basically a true must-buy in all but Gardens situations, it's cheap as all get-out, and it's attack becomes obnoxious in a way that even the curse attacks aren't.  I get why it is as cheap and powerful as it is: its power is not immediately apparent to newbies, so there's a "journey of discovery" like you have with Chapel.  But once you're experienced, Chapel games stay fun and Ambassador games become dreary slog-fests where everyone goes Ambassador and the winner is usually just going to be the one who doesn't have his/her two Ambassadors clash, or show up on Turn 5, or whatever.  Among good players, Ambassador is just too powerful to exist in its present form.  Maybe it should cost $4?  Maybe your opponent doesn't get a card if you return two- so you have to choose between maximum thinning and maximum attacking?  Maybe take it even further, and say that they only get a card if you return exactly one to the supply?  This would prevent the midgame from getting too degenerate.  Ugh, something needs to be done about this card.
I've just grown to accept Ambassador games as a different style of dominion, sort of like chapel, where deck-drawing power is way, WAY more important than usual, and cursing attacks (except mountebank) become less important. Granted, it's a really soul-sucking sort of "different," but.. different.

I kinda want to tone down King's Court as well, but there isn't a good way to do it: making it cost $8 wouldn't actually change much.
Wasn't there another thread about a proper cost for a non-recursive KC? That would certainly weaken it, but I'm not sure how to word such a card, especially since KC + TR would allow you to non-directly KC a KC anyway.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2011, 11:00:35 am »

I'd love for feast to give +1 action and don't think it would be overpowered.

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2011, 02:20:59 pm »

Davio said "I'd like to see some good examples of games in which one player buys a Curser, the other doesn't and the non-Curser wins. This may cure my addiction to Cursers."

Here is one I played the other day. We both opened SeaHag, but my opponent went with familiars while I went with gardens. It turned out pretty well for me.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110728-112220-16a30346.html

As far as buffs go, I've never seen anyone play Navigator on isotropic. I wonder if something like "Look at the top 5 cards of your deck. Either put one in your hand and discard the rest, or put them back on top of your deck in any order." would improve it's use.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:23:59 pm by bedlam »

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2011, 02:50:39 pm »

Davio said "I'd like to see some good examples of games in which one player buys a Curser, the other doesn't and the non-Curser wins. This may cure my addiction to Cursers."

Here is one I played the other day. We both opened SeaHag . . .

Somehow I think this is not the example he's looking for.

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2011, 04:53:38 pm »

I had a game where I beat a mountebank with ambassadors, but considering a) Ambassador and b) I don't think that not buying it was optimal play, I'm not sure that's a good example.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »

I'd like to see some good examples of games in which one player buys a Curser, the other doesn't and the non-Curser wins.

IRL I successfully played counting house against two mountebanking opponents.

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2011, 05:45:09 pm »

Well, here's a recent one of mine. I don't know if I really played well, but

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110728-100913-46622301.html

And here's one where I shamefully lost despite getting the only cursers and a bunch of tournament prizes.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110725-071333-019999a7.html
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:57:38 pm by Fangz »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 20 queries.