Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Should Prince be a Duration?  (Read 1249 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Should Prince be a Duration?
« on: October 06, 2018, 10:40:36 am »

I understand that Prince came out a bit before Adventures, but Hireling sets the precedent that Durations can stay out forever.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: Should Prince be a Duration?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 10:50:23 am »
+2

Quote from: Prince's secret history
Some versions of Prince were duration cards, because hey, it keeps doing stuff, right? But that didn't make sense because Prince wasn't in play, and what "duration" really means is, leave this in play until it stops doing stuff (and it was better to have Prince not be in play).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 10:54:08 am »

Is this a rules question? Prince doesn't "need" the Duration "stay-until-done" rule to work as it says, because it allows itself to be discarded normally, and then reacts to that discarding.

If it is more of a design question, then yes I'm sure it could have been worded more easily if it had used Duration magic. Keep in mind that Prince came out before Adventures; at a time when Durations were specifically a one-set mechanic.

It would have had a few differences though, such as having an effect on things like Peddler, and being able to get trashed by things like Bonfire.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 11:43:18 am »

I am not sure it would have better wording as a Duration, or at least I can’t come up with one.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 11:59:32 am »

I am not sure it would have better wording as a Duration, or at least I can’t come up with one.

Set aside a card from your hand. At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: play the set aside card, leaving it set aside.

It's different in a few different minor ways, but it's way less wordy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 07:38:36 pm »
+2

Set aside a card from your hand. At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: play the set aside card, leaving it set aside.

It's different in a few different minor ways, but it's way less wordy.

I think it’s different in some major ways here, and to avoid problems you need to go into wordier solutions.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.