Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Docks: The "coffers"/"villagers" of +Card  (Read 1035 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
Docks: The "coffers"/"villagers" of +Card
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:14:17 pm »

I came up with the idea for my Alchemy "2nd edition" idea (which had a lot of events costing $P) as "rack", but I thought it would be worth revisiting with the advent of Coffers and Villagers.

Docks - "At the start of your turn, put all cards on this mat in your hand"

Terminology:
+1 Dock - Take the top card of your deck and put it face down on your Docks mat
Dock a specific card - Put that card face down on your Docks mat

So for example

"Caravan"
Action - $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Dock

Would have a similar effect - a cantrip that makes your next hand bigger. By not being a duration it won't miss reshuffles (and can be Princed), but with the new mechanic there's the risk of not having any cards to Dock.

Whereas

"Haven"
Action - $2
+1 Card
+1 Action
Dock a card from your hand

Is pretty much the same (except stronger for not missing reshuffles).

"Summon" (buffed)
Event - $5
+1 Villager
Gain and Dock a card costing up to $4

"Den of Sin"
Treasure - $5
When you gain or play this, +2 Docks

Simlarly:
* Expedition and Save are easier to track and not vulnerable to Militias
* Faithful Hound could dock itself. Horse Traders could dock itself and +1 Dock
* The River's gift could simply be +1 dock.
* Gear would be similar to Haven. It may be buffed enough to justify a cost increase to $4 (which IMO it should have been anyway)
* Similar to Den of Sin, Ghost Town (replacing the Action with a Villager). Cobbler would really miss being able to see your next hand, and by the time you've added a Navigator effect it's probably easier to leave it as a Duration.
* Tactician would really miss the next turn +buy, but Wharf wouldn't
* Not ideal for all situations. Enchantress, Haunted Woods and Dungeon need to be durations for other effects so no point turning their next turn +Cards into Docks.

Things the new mechanic could enable:
* "Expedition" type events would be far easier to do and keep track of
* Drawing extra cards next turn could be tied to things like when gain/trash/overpay
* It would be far easier to tie next turn +cards/"haven" effects to conditions (eg trash/discard for benefit)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Docks: The "coffers"/"villagers" of +Card
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 10:59:54 pm »

The big thing this never mentions is that the mechanic implemented this way makes every card that does it useless if you draw your deck. It also creates situations where key cards you need that turn are inaccessible to you. Overall, it makes the cards it affects much worse.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
Re: Docks: The "coffers"/"villagers" of +Card
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 02:06:21 am »

The big thing this never mentions is that the mechanic implemented this way makes every card that does it useless if you draw your deck. It also creates situations where key cards you need that turn are inaccessible to you. Overall, it makes the cards it affects much worse.

I mention it talking about how it would change Caravan. Perhaps it's not worth unifying Haven and Caravan after all.

In the revised Alchemy set I put the idea almost entirely on events and cards with a "haven" style effect. That addresses the "mid turn" issue but not the empty deck issue.

An alternative way to do it would be to match the coffers/villagers concept more closely and allow you to spend tokens on drawing more cards (at the beginning of your turn?) I would be surprised if nothing like that was considered in the development of Renaissance.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.