Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Fly-Eagles-Fly's fan cards [old]  (Read 23580 times)

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
Re: Fly-Eagles-Fly's fan cards
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2018, 06:01:42 pm »

Pirate Cove/Galleon: The main problem is, how often will Galleon actually be uncovered? Pirate Cove looks like something you rarely want even one of on its own; to be worth it you'll have to want the Spoils more than your opponent and have a deck that can support a bunch of terminal Silvers. Patrician and Settlers are weak top cards but they're at least cantrips. The interaction with Galleon looks strong, but would filling your deck with terminal Silvers first be worth it?
Hm. How strong would it be if it gave +1 Action? Looking at Wishing Well vs Mystic, it seems very strong, but that's also because since Mystic doesn't draw a card it has much stronger self-synergy.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2018, 03:59:50 am »

I don't see any interaction between Galleon and Pirate Cove. Even if Pirate Cove only gained Spoils for you it it would hedge you only very mildy against Galleon attack as you might want to discard the Spoils in some situations.
This is why I'd do Galleon as a standalone card.

Without the self-trashing Traitor is clearly a better engine piece than Militia. But would you really get those hideous Hideouts, that semi-junk (hard to imagine a situation in which you have the terminal space for something that net draws only one card) into your deck to ensure the survival of your Traitors?
It is neat that the Hideouts cover up the Traitors, like Encampment/Plunder but I'd buff Hideout to make this idea work.

Drawbridge looks fine. The Debt costs might not be necessary although I see that it is questionable whether this is ok at $6.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2018, 11:19:41 am »

Alright, now Hideout can also trash a card, maybe this is too strong? Now it looks a lot like Masquerade, I might change it to cost $3 or find a different way to make it better.

Galleon can put the gained Spoils into your hand. Is there a way to make you want to give everyone a spoils, because I like that idea but it seems weak. Would buffing Pirate Cove help, or not really?

The debt in drawbridge is to make it more equal-opportunity since it is pretty strong.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2018, 11:33:44 am »

Maybe make other players discard a card to gain a Spoils, but then Galleon's attack can be pointless. I could do something like this for Galleon's attack:

Each other player trashes a Treasure from their hand costing $2 - $5, or reveals they can't.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2018, 08:25:25 am »

Well, I'll figure out what to do with Galleon, but I used Pirate Cove (sort of) in my Traveller line. Here it makes sense thematically even more; when you're getting trained, and get anything good, the older warriors take it from you (if it's that kind of army, which this is).

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2018, 01:15:20 pm »

Some comments on the Traveller line:

Captive is extremely weak (which is OK).

Doesn't hurt if the 3 in the Traveller line is weakish and Woodcutter is arguably a weak 3 so Trainee is fine.

The 4 in a Traveller line can be better than a Kingdom 4 (Fugitive) so Barbarian is also OK. The Gold might actually be worse than the Coffers in an engine so it is a cool choice for the opponents.

Just compare Viking King to Hireling to see how weak it is. Hireling is the duration equivalent of Laboratory but this is the duration equivalent of half a restricted Throne Room that sometimes comes with 2VPs on top. The whole thing only works if there are other Attack cards in the Kingdom or you managed to get a Commander.

The wording of Convert is unclear but I guess you mean that you can e.g. play this for +3 Cards and +1 Action. DoubleLaboratory is very good and this is superflexible.

Now Monk totally shines, it is the Hireling equivalent of something better than Grand Market. And Converts are something you want en masse anyway. Now if an opponent is stupid enough to go for Viking King you even get some free card draw on top.

The splitting lines are a cool idea but they vary too wildly in power.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2018, 04:16:46 pm »
+1

Captive Traveler Line:

Captive - Weak as most starting Traveler Line cards should be, but this one particularly seems harsh. I think gaining the Silver to your hand would be completely acceptable and a nice reward for players who take the risk of opening Captive/Silver. Also opens up some nice interactions with other Silver strategy cards. Other than that, I think it's a nice, clean card and a good fit to start the line!

Trainee - I highly recommend changing this to read "Each player (including you) gains a Spoils." So few cards effect all players, I think it is easy for players to misread this and not give themselves a Spoils as well.

Barbarian - I also recommend for clarity changing to bottom half to read "When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a (choose one): Convert; or Commander." It may look a bit weird, but all other official Dominion cards present choices in this manner and I think players are used to seeing this visual cue.

Commander - I think this could use a +1 Card added to it. Would give it a slight buff and a stronger interaction with Viking King. Cool attack part though! Also, the bottom says to exchange this for a "Savage King" instead of "Viking King".

Viking King - I think this could do without the Journey Token bit. It takes a lot of work to get to this point and the reword should be well worth it. This could probably just double every Attack with no conditions and give +1 VP token. This may seem harsh, but at this point in the game, Curses may already be out and people should have strong enough engines to survive discard Attacks.

All in all I think this is a cool Traveler line. They are certainly not easy to make and it's nice to see someone taking up the challenge. Any cards or aspects I didn't mention I think are good. Thanks for sharing!

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2018, 08:29:28 am »

Yeah, I kind of forgot to fix Viking King. I had had a couple of different ideas, and this version is a conglomerate of different ones that I forgot to finish up. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing with it.
I may buff Captive a bit, don't know.
I'll change the wording suggestions, thanks. And yes, Convert could play +3 cards, +1 Action, or something like that. Should that wording be changed?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2018, 04:30:40 pm »

On an unrelated note, Deposit, Scientist, and Night Market all tested well in recent games. Loot seemed a bit too strong. I will probably change that one a little bit.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2018, 04:31:40 pm »

Viking king is now a bit stronger.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2018, 09:09:56 am »

I also tested Fairy Grove recently, and the top part worked wonderfully, but only one player got it, so I didn't really test the bottom part.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2018, 02:30:15 pm »

Developer is nice. Like Slumlord it also interacts with Treasures (OK, Slumlord is even more funky, being able to do tricks like Throning a Ghost Village). You can e.g. play a Silver afterwards and get the extra Buy.
I guess it is better than Hamlet. Most Kingdoms have something decent in the 2-4 range. Like Developer itself.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2018, 02:46:33 pm »

Apparently Viking King wasn't showing up. Now it is.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2018, 03:57:24 pm »

Just added Copier, another card (less-obviously) inspired by Slumlord. I'm not sure if it's worded the way I want it too play. It should be like this: Play Labaratory, +2 Cards, +1 Action. Play Market, +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, + $1. Play Copier, +2 Cards +1 Action OR +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy + $1. Also, if it was just the bottom part, would it be an Action-Reaction or just Reaction?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:05:19 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2018, 09:05:00 am »

Just added Meeting. Is it cheating to say 'take debt' to make it work? Also, I am really not sure if this is very good or way too strong.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2018, 11:40:37 am »

For Meeting, just having a cost of $4 and 4 debt is effectively the same.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2018, 11:55:40 am »

Cost-wise, not functionally. The event itself has to do with cards you have in play costing more or less than it, and not much costs more or less than $4 and 4 debt.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2018, 12:20:57 pm »

Cost-wise, not functionally. The event itself has to do with cards you have in play costing more or less than it, and not much costs more or less than $4 and 4 debt.

I would recommend trying to give it a cost of , and then having the wording refer to "Cost in " like Forge/Bishop. It's just awkward having it say "Take " when that is what debt-cost does already.

*Edit* Or more simply, just refer to cards that cost more than, less than, or equal to . I think you should have a good reason (such as BoM not playing cards) to purposefully remove interactions with cost-reducers.

Meeting - - Event
-------------------------------------------
For every 2 cards you have in play that cost:
More than , +1 Coffers
Less than , +2 Villagers
Exactly , +1

The interesting thing here is that cost-reducers don't make it either more powerful or less powerful; just different.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:27:10 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2018, 01:54:06 pm »

I would recommend trying to give it a cost of , and then having the wording refer to "Cost in " like Forge/Bishop. It's just awkward having it say "Take " when that is what debt-cost does already.

*Edit* Or more simply, just refer to cards that cost more than, less than, or equal to . I think you should have a good reason (such as BoM not playing cards) to purposefully remove interactions with cost-reducers.

Meeting - - Event
-------------------------------------------
For every 2 cards you have in play that cost:
More than , +1 Coffers
Less than , +2 Villagers
Exactly , +1

The interesting thing here is that cost-reducers don't make it either more powerful or less powerful; just different.
Thanks, I think I will change it too that, except instead of exactly 4 I will keep it like it is, so it interacts with debt and potion costs.
Edit: Actually, I'm just going to change the cost to $6, since the only reason debt was involved at all was so my wording would work.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:56:09 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2018, 05:17:44 pm »

Just made a several fixes to the OP. Made Captive gain the silver to your hand, added (Including you) to Trainee, renamed Scepter to Staff in light of Renaissance, and removed Pirate Cove/Galleon. I will probably remake Galleon soon, but I used Pirate Cove for Trainee.
Edit: Also made you discard Hideout instead of return to the Supply. I don't really like the way the wording looks now, saying discard this to discard it, but I like the function better now. Also, it adds a bit of thematic touch; you put your Traitor where the Hideout is.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:21:48 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2018, 11:20:17 am »

Added Medallion, a treasure that can be a Copper+ or a scheme, and a second version of Craftsmen Village, because the other version wasn't so great. Maybe this one isn't either, I don't know.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2018, 08:51:42 am »

Added Cook, don't know if it's balanced or not. Had it cost $4 to start, then saw it looked better than Navigator so I added the debt clause.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2018, 02:55:51 pm »

Added Asylum and Insane. Really don't like the art I have for Insane, any help would be appreciated.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2018, 03:12:21 pm »

I guess that +2 Cards and +2 Coins would be better than Smithy which is why Cook is perhaps too cheap. Otherwise it is a very nice design.
Asylum looks fine but I have a small issue with it: every deck wants at least one copy of it, there is only a downside if you add a second copy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2018, 03:16:13 pm »

Added Asylum and Insane. Really don't like the art I have for Insane, any help would be appreciated.

I would suggest wording Insane as "you may gain a Curse. If you do not, return the Asylum to the supply". That avoids the whole "you cannot choose an option you can't do" thing. This version does allow you to keep an Asylum that you gained from the Black Market, but then again if you gain an Asylum from the Black Market, it's pretty rare to be able to play more than one per turn anyway. And I can't think of any other situation where "return it to the supply" is a thing that you can't do. Even if it would get trashed by Procession or something; Insane would trigger first.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.