Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Fly-Eagles-Fly's fan cards [old]  (Read 23577 times)

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
Fly-Eagles-Fly's fan cards [old]
« on: October 05, 2018, 12:35:31 pm »
+8

Hello everyone. I've started to collect some card ideas, and decided to put them up here to see how good they are. I have not been able to do much playtesting with them yet, so they might be really bad in practice. Also, I have all the sets except for Seaside, Alchemy, and Prosperity, so I may accidentally make cards that compare unfavorably with those sets, though I am familiar with many if not most of their cards.

Click to enlargen, or scroll downward.
Kingdom Cards:

Split Pile:

Extra Cards:

Other Card-Shaped Things:

Mat:

Credit to Kudasai for this awesome mat!

10/5

Updated 10/26

Originally an entry into a weekly design contest and could only gain Ghosts for 2 Hexes and was worth 1VP. Then I made it worth 1VP for every Ghost you had, but it was still a dead card after six total plays, so I made it let you gain any Spirit.

Shortly after making this I saw Holunder9's Night Market, which is also a Night-Reserve, and the picture is almost identical!

Marsh comes with with Heirloom Compass. It used to be Medallion, but you need a Compass to find your way out of the Marsh, you know there's Will-o'-Wisps trying to lead you away. Also Banshees, a new Night-Spirit-Attack.

Copper-Moat. Not too complicated. And it's nice to have a protection against this:

I wanted a debt attack, but to not be too mean I paired it with Medallion (though if it's a spirit you can still get it with Exorcist with no defenses). Also I made it better for the player who played it when other people blocked it because Medallion could often render the attack useless.

I made these for this contest: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.125

Added 10/7

Added 10/8

Added 10/9

Added 10/11. Credit to Gazbag for the freezing mechanic, and pacovf came up with the freeze wording, I think. See here for Dominion Ice Age, which I think was when they were introduced:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17996.0

Added 10/15

I made this for a challenge here:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.225

This may or may not be broken.

Updated 10/26

Added 10/16
Updated 10/26

Added 10/17
Here's the second draft of a Traveller line. It tells a little story; Someone gets captured, the get trained, they become a full Barbarian warrior, then either be Converted and become a Monk, or be promoted to Commander and raid towns and carry off villagers, then become King.

This card was inspired by Kudasai's Slumlord. I can't tell if it compares favorably or unfavorably to Hamlet.

Added 10/22

This is based on Aspers' Spell/Spellcaster mechanic. See here:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9231.0

Really not sure how balanced this is.
Added 10/23

Craftsmen Village 2.0

Added 10/24
Conspiracy updated 10/29

Added 10/25
Credit to Kudasai for this awesome mat!
I made these for this contest: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.325

Added 10/25

Added 10/26
Just a simple idea off the top of my head. The name ties into Port.

Updated 10/29
These two cards are reworkings of another card Heir that I decided to split up. For Pub, the reason there is a different effect for plays after your first in a turn is because putting multiple cards back onto your deck during your turn could be even more confusing than with only one. Also, I'm not sure the wording for Puppets is quite right.

Updated 11/5

Added 10/27
Another Plot token card for the contest.

All of my cards are made from Violet CLM's card generator.
Any thoughts and comments will be very appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:17:18 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: Fly-Eagles-Fly's fan cards
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:03:28 pm »

First of all, in my opinion these are overall fantastic cards.

I like the VP per Ghost aprt and would price Haunted Mansion at $6.

Night Market has similarities to Merchant Guild and Bridge Troll, i.e. the strength of the card explodes with increasing number of copies in play. As it is non-terminal it could be too easy to set up but only testing can reveal that for certain. Overall a great card.

I like Marsh-Medallion-Banshee. Banshee looks harsh but Marsh's gift is so good that it might overcompensate for that. Perhaps just trash one card? Seems tricky to balance.
On a sidenote, Medallion is similar to my Bribe which is an Heirloom outtake.

Field is tricky. When you play it from a normal hand of 5 it self-Militias for +3 Coffers which is slightly weakish for a $4 but an interesting concept in and of itself. Now the Victory part plays a bit like Gathering cards with the Duchy self-junking as bootstrap. Seems very difficult to judge.
While this is unlikely to be a huge issue it deserves to be mentioned that there might be some loop-combos with Lurker and Rogue.

I don't think that the Night-(Duration?)-Reserve card is different enough from Storyteller to be worthwhile. Despit the benefits that Duration draw has I also fear that it might often be weaker. On the other hand being able to convert Coins into Cards at the end of your turn has distinct advantages over doing it during the middle of the turn so perhaps I am seriously underestimating this.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 03:08:24 pm »

First of all, in my opinion these are overall fantastic cards.

I like the VP per Ghost aprt and would price Haunted Mansion at $6.

Night Market has similarities to Merchant Guild and Bridge Troll, i.e. the strength of the card explodes with increasing number of copies in play. As it is non-terminal it could be too easy to set up but only testing can reveal that for certain. Overall a great card.

I like Marsh-Medallion-Banshee. Banshee looks harsh but Marsh's gift is so good that it might overcompensate for that. Perhaps just trash one card? Seems tricky to balance.
On a sidenote, Medallion is similar to my Bribe which is an Heirloom outtake.

Field is tricky. When you play it from a normal hand of 5 it self-Militias for +3 Coffers which is slightly weakish for a $4 but an interesting concept in and of itself. Now the Victory part plays a bit like Gathering cards with the Duchy self-junking as bootstrap. Seems very difficult to judge.
While this is unlikely to be a huge issue it deserves to be mentioned that there might be some loop-combos with Lurker and Rogue.

I don't think that the Night-(Duration?)-Reserve card is different enough from Storyteller to be worthwhile. Despit the benefits that Duration draw has I also fear that it might often be weaker. On the other hand being able to convert Coins into Cards at the end of your turn has distinct advantages over doing it during the middle of the turn so perhaps I am seriously underestimating this.

Thank you for your reply. I changed Haunted Mansion to $6. I might keep the bottom half of the last card and use it with a different top, as it is very similar to Storyteller. I hope to be able to playtest some of these cards today and see how they work for real.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 05:25:18 pm »

Two major problems with Banshee:
1. There's a reason that no official Attack card both stacks infinitely and directly harms opponents' turns. Play enough Banshees, and you lock everybody else out of the game.
2. If you only have one opponent, the Banshee can get you two Coffers at most, but if you're playing a 4-player game, it can give you up to 4 Coffers, which means it scales poorly with the number of players. Simply the number of players should not influence how powerful a card is, but player count definitely matters for Banshee.
I would recommend reading rinkwork's fan card creation guide if you haven't. It's a huge help if you want to avoid falling into the common pitfalls of fan card creation.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 05:31:05 pm »

1. There's a reason that no official Attack card both stacks infinitely and directly harms opponents' turns. Play enough Banshees, and you lock everybody else out of the game.
You are aware that Marsh helps the opponents, right?

2. If you only have one opponent, the Banshee can get you two Coffers at most, but if you're playing a 4-player game, it can give you up to 4 Coffers, which means it scales poorly with the number of players. Simply the number of players should not influence how powerful a card is, but player count definitely matters for Banshee.
Hm, let's take Witch. In a 2P game you end up with an average of 5 Curses, in a 3P game with an average of 7 Curses and in a 4P game with an average of 8. Doesn't seem to scale so well.
Hm, let's take Pirate Ship. Wow, with an additional player your chances to hit something are significantly increased. Doesn't seem to scale so well.

Seriously, being invariant to player count is a good guideline. As long as you don't mind ignoring it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:36:21 pm by Holunder9 »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 05:35:24 pm »

I think it's good that Banshee's Coffer benefit can scale with player count, because more players means more Banshees played against you. Although, maybe I should not have it be a Night card, since they're too easy to stack. I'll playtest it soon and adjust accordingly. Thanks for the input. If I would change the attack, I would maybe make it only affect players with less than 5 debt.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:36:59 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 05:36:25 pm »

This is far too weak. Even if it just self-junked one Ruins it would be weaker than Cursed Gold which is a card you sometimes never play. Even with good trashing self-junking often boils down to the play effect of an anti-Laboratory (you have to draw into the card once before you trash it, assuming that no out-of-hand trashers like Sentry or Lookout are present).

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 05:38:07 pm »

This is far too weak. Even if it just self-junked one Ruins it would be weaker than Cursed Gold which is a card you sometimes never play. Even with good trashing self-junking often boils down to the play effect of an anti-Laboratory (you have to draw into the card once before you trash it, assuming that no out-of-hand trashers like Sentry or Lookout are present).

Thanks. What about gain 1 ruins and costs 3? Or is one of those enough?

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 05:46:45 pm »

Curse Gold at least becomes a Gold if the Curse pile is empty whereas this suicides once two junk piles are empty. So frankly, I don't think that a Kingdom card that is weaker than Cursed Gold will often be bought.
I'd have to check but if memory serves there is a $2 Treasure among my printed card (pre Nocturne) that is a Copper and +$4 if you choose to gain or discard a Curse.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:49:03 pm by Holunder9 »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 05:48:00 pm »

Thanks. What about gain 1 ruins and costs 3? Or is one of those enough?

Even then I fear it would be far too uninteresting compared to Cursed Gold and possibly Death Cart.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 05:55:57 pm »

Alright then, I'll scrap that one. My original idea was this:

$5 Goblin Bank
$2
Each other player gains a Ruins.

Can't remember exactly why I changed it. What do you think about this?

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 06:06:25 pm »

Looks OKish. You always gotta be careful with non-terminal Attacks, there are often caveats. Urchin is weak, Familiar is hard to get, Vampire exchanges itself, Werewolf is pretty expensive for the Attack and if we focus on the Treasures, Relic doesn't stack and Idol needs another Idol to hit.

This feels a bit bland in comparison.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 06:08:52 pm »

Ok. It had been a much earlier idea.
On the topic of Banshee, how many do you think would be in the pile? As far as the other Spirits there are 12 Will-o'-Wisps, 13 Imps, and 6 Ghosts. Maybe 10?

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 08:48:13 pm »

Did I mention Marsh? No, I did not. Banshee is the card I'm talking about.

Hm, let's take Witch. In a 2P game you end up with an average of 5 Curses, in a 3P game with an average of 7 Curses and in a 4P game with an average of 8. Doesn't seem to scale so well.
Hm, let's take Pirate Ship. Wow, with an additional player your chances to hit something are significantly increased. Doesn't seem to scale so well.

Seriously, being invariant to player count is a good guideline. As long as you don't mind ignoring it.

1. Witch:
Sure, you can give out more curses in games with more players, but you have to play it more, and give out the same curses per person each time you play it.
2. Pirate Ship:
Banshee is like if Pirate Ship let you put a Coin token on your Pirate Ship mat for each player who trashed a treasure, rather than getting one if any player trashes a treasure. And, like Witch, slightly raising the hit chance with more players is significantly less severe than both raising the hit chance AND increasing the reward, which is what Banshee does.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 09:10:07 pm »

How about this new Banshee:

Imagine this scenario (4 players):
Player 1 has 3 debt, Player 2 has 0 debt and Medallion in hand, Player 3 has 2 debt, and Player 4 plays two Banshees.
Players 1 and 3 takes 1 debt, Player 2 take 0 debt, Player 4 gets +2 coffers.
Players 1 and 2 take 0 debt, Player 3 takes 1 debt, Player 4 gets +3 coffers.
Net totals: Player 1 +1 debt, Player 2 +0 debt, Player 3 +2 debt, Player +5 coffers.
If anything the non-attack part is too strong now in my opinion.

Since for you to gain a Banshee you need to let other players trash, I think this is rather balanced, certainly no worse than cards like Torturer, Swindler, Possession, etc.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:12:50 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 01:13:07 am »

Player 1 has 3 debt, Player 2 has 0 debt and Medallion in hand, Player 3 has 2 debt, and Player 4 plays two Banshees.
Net totals: Player 1 +1 debt, Player 2 +0 debt, Player 3 +2 debt, Player +5 coffers.

Since for you to gain a Banshee you need to let other players trash, I think this is rather balanced, certainly no worse than cards like Torturer, Swindler, Possession, etc.

That only fixes the first problem, but it doesn't solve the second, and in fact just exacerbates it since it's easier to trigger +Coffers now. Here's what I would recommend:

+1 Coffers
Each other player who has less than 4 Debt takes 1 Debt. If anybody revealed a Medallion to this, +2 Coffers.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 03:00:17 am »

Ignoring Marsh while talking about Banshee being supposedly overpowered is like ignoring Urchin while talking about Mercenary being supposedly overpowered.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 08:18:21 am »

Ignoring Marsh while talking about Banshee being supposedly overpowered is like ignoring Urchin while talking about Mercenary being supposedly overpowered.

They weren't saying it was overpowered though, locking people out of games and scaling poorly with multiple players aren't necessarily problems associated with power level.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 08:20:44 am »

That only fixes the first problem, but it doesn't solve the second, and in fact just exacerbates it since it's easier to trigger +Coffers now. Here's what I would recommend:

+1 Coffers
Each other player who has less than 4 Debt takes 1 Debt. If anybody revealed a Medallion to this, +2 Coffers.

I think this is a case where it would be nice to have different versions for different numbers of players. Your version is stronger than mine at 2 players (which is what I play most incidentally) while mine could give up to 6 Coffers per play in a six player game. I think I'll keep it my newer way, for now at least.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 08:44:42 am »

They weren't saying it was overpowered though, locking people out of games and scaling poorly with multiple players aren't necessarily problems associated with power level.
Followers junks and Miltias and can totally lock you out of the game. Doesn't mean that the card is bad though. Non-Supply card can and actually are often wacky, they can get away with stuff that Kingdom cards cannot. So where better to do something dubious like a Debt attack? I have junk with a Debt attack that is offset by the junker handing out that thing being part of a split pile with a trasher on top. Asper has a Debt attack that is conditional on buying. A non-Supply Debt attack is just another way to tackle this tricky issue.

My point is that you cannot analyze a non-Supply card while ignoring the Kingdom card that grants you access to it. I'd e.g. rather worry about Marsh being too strong for the other players than about Banshee being too strong.
You are thin while they aren't so you should have an easy time to deal with some Debt attacks.

I also don't buy the scaling argument as Dominion is a game that plays differently with 2 than with 3 than with 4. Offical Attacks behave differently with different player count. Pirate Ship in a particular Kingdom might be obvious nonsense in a 2P game yet mandatory in the very same Kingdom in a 4P game.
Also, nearly all Attacks are better in multiplayer games for the very simple reason that you get attacked on average n-1 times with n being the number of players. Also, the junk pool is scaled to the number of total attacks, not the number of junk cards a player gets on average. And so on.

I'd agree though that a more moderate version of the card PAIR, e.g. something like Marsh only allowing the opponents to trash 1 card and Banshee only handing out 1 Debt might be better. But it is hard to evaluate this without playing.
The current version could lead to a too huge "Coin spread" so another solution would be to fix it at +1 Coffers. Thus the "Coin spread" (you get 1, they lose 2) is equivalent to that of Cutpurse (you get 2, they lose 1).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:47:57 am by Holunder9 »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 08:47:32 am »

When I playtested yesterday in a three player game in which the players were Me, Myself and I Where I Messenger'd everyone a Marsh because I wanted to trash my cards :). After a while people would play Marsh and no one would trash because their hand was too good. Reflecting more I think I'll actually leave it at the original for now because the Marsh effect is really good.
The other question is do I make it a Spirit, or just another card? How bad would it be to get one from Exorcist, and would I change the price? I think I should change it to match Ghost.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2018, 08:48:46 am »

We also kept deciding to play Marsh instead of Hermit, because we didn't particularly need Madmen and we really wanted Banshees, even though it was great for the other players. Overall it was pretty well balanced for the first game.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2018, 08:51:21 am »

Here is the version I'm going with for now:

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2018, 08:51:36 am »

When I playtested yesterday in a three player game in which the players were Me, Myself and I Where I Messenger'd everyone a Marsh because I wanted to trash my cards :). After a while people would play Marsh and no one would trash because their hand was too good. Reflecting more I think I'll actually leave it at the original for now because the Marsh effect is really good.
The other question is do I make it a Spirit, or just another card? How bad would it be to get one from Exorcist, and would I change the price? I think I should change it to match Ghost.
Yeah, this doesn't surprise me as trashing 2 cards is incredibly strong.
If you make it a Spirit you only create the Exorcist interaction. If you want that I think that you can get away with either price. Keep in mind that trashing $4s is not a big thing whereas trashing a $5 often is so there is an equivalent huge jump in Spirit costs from 3 to 4.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2018, 09:01:30 am »

I think it's also worth noting that the trashing from Marsh makes it more likely you have a Medallion in hand.
Anyway just posted a new split pile, Pillar and Atrium.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:02:31 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.