Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Fly-Eagles-Fly's fan cards [old]  (Read 23583 times)

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
Fly-Eagles-Fly's fan cards [old]
« on: October 05, 2018, 12:35:31 pm »
+8

Hello everyone. I've started to collect some card ideas, and decided to put them up here to see how good they are. I have not been able to do much playtesting with them yet, so they might be really bad in practice. Also, I have all the sets except for Seaside, Alchemy, and Prosperity, so I may accidentally make cards that compare unfavorably with those sets, though I am familiar with many if not most of their cards.

Click to enlargen, or scroll downward.
Kingdom Cards:

Split Pile:

Extra Cards:

Other Card-Shaped Things:

Mat:

Credit to Kudasai for this awesome mat!

10/5

Updated 10/26

Originally an entry into a weekly design contest and could only gain Ghosts for 2 Hexes and was worth 1VP. Then I made it worth 1VP for every Ghost you had, but it was still a dead card after six total plays, so I made it let you gain any Spirit.

Shortly after making this I saw Holunder9's Night Market, which is also a Night-Reserve, and the picture is almost identical!

Marsh comes with with Heirloom Compass. It used to be Medallion, but you need a Compass to find your way out of the Marsh, you know there's Will-o'-Wisps trying to lead you away. Also Banshees, a new Night-Spirit-Attack.

Copper-Moat. Not too complicated. And it's nice to have a protection against this:

I wanted a debt attack, but to not be too mean I paired it with Medallion (though if it's a spirit you can still get it with Exorcist with no defenses). Also I made it better for the player who played it when other people blocked it because Medallion could often render the attack useless.

I made these for this contest: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.125

Added 10/7

Added 10/8

Added 10/9

Added 10/11. Credit to Gazbag for the freezing mechanic, and pacovf came up with the freeze wording, I think. See here for Dominion Ice Age, which I think was when they were introduced:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17996.0

Added 10/15

I made this for a challenge here:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.225

This may or may not be broken.

Updated 10/26

Added 10/16
Updated 10/26

Added 10/17
Here's the second draft of a Traveller line. It tells a little story; Someone gets captured, the get trained, they become a full Barbarian warrior, then either be Converted and become a Monk, or be promoted to Commander and raid towns and carry off villagers, then become King.

This card was inspired by Kudasai's Slumlord. I can't tell if it compares favorably or unfavorably to Hamlet.

Added 10/22

This is based on Aspers' Spell/Spellcaster mechanic. See here:http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9231.0

Really not sure how balanced this is.
Added 10/23

Craftsmen Village 2.0

Added 10/24
Conspiracy updated 10/29

Added 10/25
I made these for this contest: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.325

Added 10/25

Added 10/26
Just a simple idea off the top of my head. The name ties into Port.

Updated 10/29
These two cards are reworkings of another card Heir that I decided to split up. For Pub, the reason there is a different effect for plays after your first in a turn is because putting multiple cards back onto your deck during your turn could be even more confusing than with only one. Also, I'm not sure the wording for Puppets is quite right.

Updated 11/5

Added 10/27
Another Plot token card for the contest.

All of my cards are made from Violet CLM's card generator.
Any thoughts and comments will be very appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:17:18 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: Fly-Eagles-Fly's fan cards
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:03:28 pm »

First of all, in my opinion these are overall fantastic cards.

I like the VP per Ghost aprt and would price Haunted Mansion at $6.

Night Market has similarities to Merchant Guild and Bridge Troll, i.e. the strength of the card explodes with increasing number of copies in play. As it is non-terminal it could be too easy to set up but only testing can reveal that for certain. Overall a great card.

I like Marsh-Medallion-Banshee. Banshee looks harsh but Marsh's gift is so good that it might overcompensate for that. Perhaps just trash one card? Seems tricky to balance.
On a sidenote, Medallion is similar to my Bribe which is an Heirloom outtake.

Field is tricky. When you play it from a normal hand of 5 it self-Militias for +3 Coffers which is slightly weakish for a $4 but an interesting concept in and of itself. Now the Victory part plays a bit like Gathering cards with the Duchy self-junking as bootstrap. Seems very difficult to judge.
While this is unlikely to be a huge issue it deserves to be mentioned that there might be some loop-combos with Lurker and Rogue.

I don't think that the Night-(Duration?)-Reserve card is different enough from Storyteller to be worthwhile. Despit the benefits that Duration draw has I also fear that it might often be weaker. On the other hand being able to convert Coins into Cards at the end of your turn has distinct advantages over doing it during the middle of the turn so perhaps I am seriously underestimating this.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 03:08:24 pm »

First of all, in my opinion these are overall fantastic cards.

I like the VP per Ghost aprt and would price Haunted Mansion at $6.

Night Market has similarities to Merchant Guild and Bridge Troll, i.e. the strength of the card explodes with increasing number of copies in play. As it is non-terminal it could be too easy to set up but only testing can reveal that for certain. Overall a great card.

I like Marsh-Medallion-Banshee. Banshee looks harsh but Marsh's gift is so good that it might overcompensate for that. Perhaps just trash one card? Seems tricky to balance.
On a sidenote, Medallion is similar to my Bribe which is an Heirloom outtake.

Field is tricky. When you play it from a normal hand of 5 it self-Militias for +3 Coffers which is slightly weakish for a $4 but an interesting concept in and of itself. Now the Victory part plays a bit like Gathering cards with the Duchy self-junking as bootstrap. Seems very difficult to judge.
While this is unlikely to be a huge issue it deserves to be mentioned that there might be some loop-combos with Lurker and Rogue.

I don't think that the Night-(Duration?)-Reserve card is different enough from Storyteller to be worthwhile. Despit the benefits that Duration draw has I also fear that it might often be weaker. On the other hand being able to convert Coins into Cards at the end of your turn has distinct advantages over doing it during the middle of the turn so perhaps I am seriously underestimating this.

Thank you for your reply. I changed Haunted Mansion to $6. I might keep the bottom half of the last card and use it with a different top, as it is very similar to Storyteller. I hope to be able to playtest some of these cards today and see how they work for real.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 05:25:18 pm »

Two major problems with Banshee:
1. There's a reason that no official Attack card both stacks infinitely and directly harms opponents' turns. Play enough Banshees, and you lock everybody else out of the game.
2. If you only have one opponent, the Banshee can get you two Coffers at most, but if you're playing a 4-player game, it can give you up to 4 Coffers, which means it scales poorly with the number of players. Simply the number of players should not influence how powerful a card is, but player count definitely matters for Banshee.
I would recommend reading rinkwork's fan card creation guide if you haven't. It's a huge help if you want to avoid falling into the common pitfalls of fan card creation.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 05:31:05 pm »

1. There's a reason that no official Attack card both stacks infinitely and directly harms opponents' turns. Play enough Banshees, and you lock everybody else out of the game.
You are aware that Marsh helps the opponents, right?

2. If you only have one opponent, the Banshee can get you two Coffers at most, but if you're playing a 4-player game, it can give you up to 4 Coffers, which means it scales poorly with the number of players. Simply the number of players should not influence how powerful a card is, but player count definitely matters for Banshee.
Hm, let's take Witch. In a 2P game you end up with an average of 5 Curses, in a 3P game with an average of 7 Curses and in a 4P game with an average of 8. Doesn't seem to scale so well.
Hm, let's take Pirate Ship. Wow, with an additional player your chances to hit something are significantly increased. Doesn't seem to scale so well.

Seriously, being invariant to player count is a good guideline. As long as you don't mind ignoring it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:36:21 pm by Holunder9 »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 05:35:24 pm »

I think it's good that Banshee's Coffer benefit can scale with player count, because more players means more Banshees played against you. Although, maybe I should not have it be a Night card, since they're too easy to stack. I'll playtest it soon and adjust accordingly. Thanks for the input. If I would change the attack, I would maybe make it only affect players with less than 5 debt.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:36:59 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 05:36:25 pm »

This is far too weak. Even if it just self-junked one Ruins it would be weaker than Cursed Gold which is a card you sometimes never play. Even with good trashing self-junking often boils down to the play effect of an anti-Laboratory (you have to draw into the card once before you trash it, assuming that no out-of-hand trashers like Sentry or Lookout are present).

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 05:38:07 pm »

This is far too weak. Even if it just self-junked one Ruins it would be weaker than Cursed Gold which is a card you sometimes never play. Even with good trashing self-junking often boils down to the play effect of an anti-Laboratory (you have to draw into the card once before you trash it, assuming that no out-of-hand trashers like Sentry or Lookout are present).

Thanks. What about gain 1 ruins and costs 3? Or is one of those enough?

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 05:46:45 pm »

Curse Gold at least becomes a Gold if the Curse pile is empty whereas this suicides once two junk piles are empty. So frankly, I don't think that a Kingdom card that is weaker than Cursed Gold will often be bought.
I'd have to check but if memory serves there is a $2 Treasure among my printed card (pre Nocturne) that is a Copper and +$4 if you choose to gain or discard a Curse.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:49:03 pm by Holunder9 »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 05:48:00 pm »

Thanks. What about gain 1 ruins and costs 3? Or is one of those enough?

Even then I fear it would be far too uninteresting compared to Cursed Gold and possibly Death Cart.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 05:55:57 pm »

Alright then, I'll scrap that one. My original idea was this:

$5 Goblin Bank
$2
Each other player gains a Ruins.

Can't remember exactly why I changed it. What do you think about this?

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 06:06:25 pm »

Looks OKish. You always gotta be careful with non-terminal Attacks, there are often caveats. Urchin is weak, Familiar is hard to get, Vampire exchanges itself, Werewolf is pretty expensive for the Attack and if we focus on the Treasures, Relic doesn't stack and Idol needs another Idol to hit.

This feels a bit bland in comparison.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 06:08:52 pm »

Ok. It had been a much earlier idea.
On the topic of Banshee, how many do you think would be in the pile? As far as the other Spirits there are 12 Will-o'-Wisps, 13 Imps, and 6 Ghosts. Maybe 10?

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 08:48:13 pm »

Did I mention Marsh? No, I did not. Banshee is the card I'm talking about.

Hm, let's take Witch. In a 2P game you end up with an average of 5 Curses, in a 3P game with an average of 7 Curses and in a 4P game with an average of 8. Doesn't seem to scale so well.
Hm, let's take Pirate Ship. Wow, with an additional player your chances to hit something are significantly increased. Doesn't seem to scale so well.

Seriously, being invariant to player count is a good guideline. As long as you don't mind ignoring it.

1. Witch:
Sure, you can give out more curses in games with more players, but you have to play it more, and give out the same curses per person each time you play it.
2. Pirate Ship:
Banshee is like if Pirate Ship let you put a Coin token on your Pirate Ship mat for each player who trashed a treasure, rather than getting one if any player trashes a treasure. And, like Witch, slightly raising the hit chance with more players is significantly less severe than both raising the hit chance AND increasing the reward, which is what Banshee does.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 09:10:07 pm »

How about this new Banshee:

Imagine this scenario (4 players):
Player 1 has 3 debt, Player 2 has 0 debt and Medallion in hand, Player 3 has 2 debt, and Player 4 plays two Banshees.
Players 1 and 3 takes 1 debt, Player 2 take 0 debt, Player 4 gets +2 coffers.
Players 1 and 2 take 0 debt, Player 3 takes 1 debt, Player 4 gets +3 coffers.
Net totals: Player 1 +1 debt, Player 2 +0 debt, Player 3 +2 debt, Player +5 coffers.
If anything the non-attack part is too strong now in my opinion.

Since for you to gain a Banshee you need to let other players trash, I think this is rather balanced, certainly no worse than cards like Torturer, Swindler, Possession, etc.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:12:50 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 01:13:07 am »

Player 1 has 3 debt, Player 2 has 0 debt and Medallion in hand, Player 3 has 2 debt, and Player 4 plays two Banshees.
Net totals: Player 1 +1 debt, Player 2 +0 debt, Player 3 +2 debt, Player +5 coffers.

Since for you to gain a Banshee you need to let other players trash, I think this is rather balanced, certainly no worse than cards like Torturer, Swindler, Possession, etc.

That only fixes the first problem, but it doesn't solve the second, and in fact just exacerbates it since it's easier to trigger +Coffers now. Here's what I would recommend:

+1 Coffers
Each other player who has less than 4 Debt takes 1 Debt. If anybody revealed a Medallion to this, +2 Coffers.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 03:00:17 am »

Ignoring Marsh while talking about Banshee being supposedly overpowered is like ignoring Urchin while talking about Mercenary being supposedly overpowered.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 08:18:21 am »

Ignoring Marsh while talking about Banshee being supposedly overpowered is like ignoring Urchin while talking about Mercenary being supposedly overpowered.

They weren't saying it was overpowered though, locking people out of games and scaling poorly with multiple players aren't necessarily problems associated with power level.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 08:20:44 am »

That only fixes the first problem, but it doesn't solve the second, and in fact just exacerbates it since it's easier to trigger +Coffers now. Here's what I would recommend:

+1 Coffers
Each other player who has less than 4 Debt takes 1 Debt. If anybody revealed a Medallion to this, +2 Coffers.

I think this is a case where it would be nice to have different versions for different numbers of players. Your version is stronger than mine at 2 players (which is what I play most incidentally) while mine could give up to 6 Coffers per play in a six player game. I think I'll keep it my newer way, for now at least.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 08:44:42 am »

They weren't saying it was overpowered though, locking people out of games and scaling poorly with multiple players aren't necessarily problems associated with power level.
Followers junks and Miltias and can totally lock you out of the game. Doesn't mean that the card is bad though. Non-Supply card can and actually are often wacky, they can get away with stuff that Kingdom cards cannot. So where better to do something dubious like a Debt attack? I have junk with a Debt attack that is offset by the junker handing out that thing being part of a split pile with a trasher on top. Asper has a Debt attack that is conditional on buying. A non-Supply Debt attack is just another way to tackle this tricky issue.

My point is that you cannot analyze a non-Supply card while ignoring the Kingdom card that grants you access to it. I'd e.g. rather worry about Marsh being too strong for the other players than about Banshee being too strong.
You are thin while they aren't so you should have an easy time to deal with some Debt attacks.

I also don't buy the scaling argument as Dominion is a game that plays differently with 2 than with 3 than with 4. Offical Attacks behave differently with different player count. Pirate Ship in a particular Kingdom might be obvious nonsense in a 2P game yet mandatory in the very same Kingdom in a 4P game.
Also, nearly all Attacks are better in multiplayer games for the very simple reason that you get attacked on average n-1 times with n being the number of players. Also, the junk pool is scaled to the number of total attacks, not the number of junk cards a player gets on average. And so on.

I'd agree though that a more moderate version of the card PAIR, e.g. something like Marsh only allowing the opponents to trash 1 card and Banshee only handing out 1 Debt might be better. But it is hard to evaluate this without playing.
The current version could lead to a too huge "Coin spread" so another solution would be to fix it at +1 Coffers. Thus the "Coin spread" (you get 1, they lose 2) is equivalent to that of Cutpurse (you get 2, they lose 1).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:47:57 am by Holunder9 »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 08:47:32 am »

When I playtested yesterday in a three player game in which the players were Me, Myself and I Where I Messenger'd everyone a Marsh because I wanted to trash my cards :). After a while people would play Marsh and no one would trash because their hand was too good. Reflecting more I think I'll actually leave it at the original for now because the Marsh effect is really good.
The other question is do I make it a Spirit, or just another card? How bad would it be to get one from Exorcist, and would I change the price? I think I should change it to match Ghost.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2018, 08:48:46 am »

We also kept deciding to play Marsh instead of Hermit, because we didn't particularly need Madmen and we really wanted Banshees, even though it was great for the other players. Overall it was pretty well balanced for the first game.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2018, 08:51:21 am »

Here is the version I'm going with for now:

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2018, 08:51:36 am »

When I playtested yesterday in a three player game in which the players were Me, Myself and I Where I Messenger'd everyone a Marsh because I wanted to trash my cards :). After a while people would play Marsh and no one would trash because their hand was too good. Reflecting more I think I'll actually leave it at the original for now because the Marsh effect is really good.
The other question is do I make it a Spirit, or just another card? How bad would it be to get one from Exorcist, and would I change the price? I think I should change it to match Ghost.
Yeah, this doesn't surprise me as trashing 2 cards is incredibly strong.
If you make it a Spirit you only create the Exorcist interaction. If you want that I think that you can get away with either price. Keep in mind that trashing $4s is not a big thing whereas trashing a $5 often is so there is an equivalent huge jump in Spirit costs from 3 to 4.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2018, 09:01:30 am »

I think it's also worth noting that the trashing from Marsh makes it more likely you have a Medallion in hand.
Anyway just posted a new split pile, Pillar and Atrium.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:02:31 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2018, 09:03:48 am »

Followers junks and Miltias and can totally lock you out of the game. Doesn't mean that the card is bad though. Non-Supply card can and actually are often wacky, they can get away with stuff that Kingdom cards cannot. So where better to do something dubious like a Debt attack? I have junk with a Debt attack that is offset by the junker handing out that thing being part of a split pile with a trasher on top. Asper has a Debt attack that is conditional on buying. A non-Supply Debt attack is just another way to tackle this tricky issue.

My point is that you cannot analyze a non-Supply card while ignoring the Kingdom card that grants you access to it. I'd e.g. rather worry about Marsh being too strong for the other players than about Banshee being too strong.
You are thin while they aren't so you should have an easy time to deal with some Debt attacks.

I also don't buy the scaling argument as Dominion is a game that plays differently with 2 than with 3 than with 4. Offical Attacks behave differently with different player count. Pirate Ship in a particular Kingdom might be obvious nonsense in a 2P game yet mandatory in the very same Kingdom in a 4P game.
Also, nearly all Attacks are better in multiplayer games for the very simple reason that you get attacked on average n-1 times with n being the number of players. Also, the junk pool is scaled to the number of total attacks, not the number of junk cards a player gets on average. And so on.

I'd agree though that a more moderate version of the card PAIR, e.g. something like Marsh only allowing the opponents to trash 1 card and Banshee only handing out 1 Debt might be better. But it is hard to evaluate this without playing.
The current version could lead to a too huge "Coin spread" so another solution would be to fix it at +1 Coffers. Thus the "Coin spread" (you get 1, they lose 2) is equivalent to that of Cutpurse (you get 2, they lose 1).

No, Militia can't lock you out of the game. Maybe Militia+some other combination of cards can, but just Militia can't lock you out of the game. Banshee (the version that had no limit on the debt) could lock people out of the game by giving them more Debt than it's possible for them to pay off. This is not fun and is also not a necessary part of the card, even if it had the most obscene requirement to obtain the Banshee locking people out the game is never fun and so we don't have to look at Marsh to conclude that that effect on Banshee is a bad idea. To reiterate, it isn't a case of it being too powerful, it's a case of it being un-fun and easily fixed without changing the concept of the card.

If attacks are stronger in 3+ player games anyway then how is having the non-attack part of the card get stronger with more players a good idea? Does the card really get ruined if that part is just changed to a flat +1 or 2 Coffers?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 09:17:24 am »

To reiterate, it isn't a case of it being too powerful, it's a case of it being un-fun and easily fixed without changing the concept of the card.
I have fixed now, so this is no longer an issue.
If attacks are stronger in 3+ player games anyway then how is having the non-attack part of the card get stronger with more players a good idea? Does the card really get ruined if that part is just changed to a flat +1 or 2 Coffers?
No, of course it doesn't get ruined if it's changed to a flat rate of Coffers, however I really don't think it needs changed.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2018, 09:32:38 am »

No, Militia can't lock you out of the game. Maybe Militia+some other combination of cards can, but just Militia can't lock you out of the game.
You mean Miltia plus Witch? Like Followers, the card I actually talked about? That card can indeed lock you out of the game or make it very unpleasant in some Kingdoms. Doesn't mean that it is broken though.

This is not fun and is also not a necessary part of the card, even if it had the most obscene requirement to obtain the Banshee locking people out the game is never fun and so we don't have to look at Marsh to conclude that that effect on Banshee is a bad idea. To reiterate, it isn't a case of it being too powerful, it's a case of it being un-fun and easily fixed without changing the concept of the card.
I think that Cultist games are unfun because it is so ridiculously overpowered and junks quicker than anything else.
I think that a 5/2 opeining in a Kingdom with e.g. Mountebank and Monastery is unfun as the game is already over before it started.
Dominion has, like every game, numerous issues and in my limited experience with two Debt attacks (Asper's Scribe and my Blackmail) I did not find them to be game-breaking.

About partial analysis, about ignoring one part of the pair, I already said everything about why you cannot do that. It'd be like looking at Mercenary and concluding that a card that draws, yields Coins, trashes and Militias is totally bonkers while ignoring the path towards that very non-Supply card.
Mercenaries would be ridiculous as a Kingdom card. But it works as a non-Supply card as you have to jump through some hoops to get it. Unconditional Debt attacks are something you shouldn't do or at least be careful about. Here the condition of handing out the Debt is that you previously helped the opponents to thin.

If attacks are stronger in 3+ player games anyway then how is having the non-attack part of the card get stronger with more players a good idea?
Tell that to Pirate Ship and Jester, why don't they just target one player? Why is Pirate Ship so risky in 2P and so safe in 4P? Why can you only gain one card with Jester in 2P yet three cards in 4P?
Why is Ambassador a net trasher in a 2P game yet a net junker in a 4P game (assuming for the sake of simplicity that every plays has an equal amount of Ambassadors)?
I don't see anybody here ripping apart such official Attack cards whose power and behaviour varies significantly with increasing player count.

Does the card really get ruined if that part is just changed to a flat +1 or 2 Coffers?
No, here I am totally with you. As I already said in the post you replied to, I think that an unconditional +1 Coffers is good as it gets rid of "Coin spread" issues

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2018, 10:24:28 am »

Banshee: Is there any difference between giving someone 1 debt and giving them the -1 coin token? Obviously, debt stacks, but I'm wondering if Donald came up with the token because a stacking -$1 was too brutal.

Unnamed Night-Reserve: So, I really love the first part of the card. I actually think it's very different from Storyteller: with Storyteller you have to decide if losing $ is worth it while you're still drawing, but with this you have to decide if not spending $ is worth it while you're buying stuff.

Here's what I think: If it's giving you stuff on your next turn, it has to be a Duration, so the Reserve part doesn't work. Just get rid of that part; there's already Diadem. One problem might be remembering how many cards to draw next turn; not sure how difficult that would be.

Haunted Mansion: A bit weird, but cool. I also love Ghosts and wish there were an easier way to get them.

Actually receiving 2 Hexes is pretty brutal. Maybe just one? It's a whopping $6 after all.

Night Market: This is just plain awesome. Maybe it could just give +1 buy instead of +2 buys, but eh, maybe that extra buy is needed to compare favorably to Merchant Guild.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:28:18 am by Commodore Chuckles »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2018, 10:45:04 am »

Pillar is strictly better than Woodcutter so it has to cost at least $4 and even at that price it seems quite strong.
I like Atrium even though it could be totally bonkers. Perhaps make it terminal?  It looks remotely similar to Horn of Plenty but has to be played at a particular moment. Sure, you normally want to play payload last but this is not always feasible so variety will not be as large as with Horn of Plenty.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2018, 12:57:46 pm »

Yeah, I accidentally posted an older version of Pillar, but the whole thing is broken. With more than 2 players it could be hard to get a second Pillar at all. It was a neat idea, but not that great. Maybe I'll salvage these later.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2018, 02:13:52 pm »

No, Militia can't lock you out of the game. Maybe Militia+some other combination of cards can, but just Militia can't lock you out of the game.
You mean Miltia plus Witch? Like Followers, the card I actually talked about? That card can indeed lock you out of the game or make it very unpleasant in some Kingdoms. Doesn't mean that it is broken though.

This is not fun and is also not a necessary part of the card, even if it had the most obscene requirement to obtain the Banshee locking people out the game is never fun and so we don't have to look at Marsh to conclude that that effect on Banshee is a bad idea. To reiterate, it isn't a case of it being too powerful, it's a case of it being un-fun and easily fixed without changing the concept of the card.
I think that Cultist games are unfun because it is so ridiculously overpowered and junks quicker than anything else.
I think that a 5/2 opeining in a Kingdom with e.g. Mountebank and Monastery is unfun as the game is already over before it started.
Dominion has, like every game, numerous issues and in my limited experience with two Debt attacks (Asper's Scribe and my Blackmail) I did not find them to be game-breaking.

About partial analysis, about ignoring one part of the pair, I already said everything about why you cannot do that. It'd be like looking at Mercenary and concluding that a card that draws, yields Coins, trashes and Militias is totally bonkers while ignoring the path towards that very non-Supply card.
Mercenaries would be ridiculous as a Kingdom card. But it works as a non-Supply card as you have to jump through some hoops to get it. Unconditional Debt attacks are something you shouldn't do or at least be careful about. Here the condition of handing out the Debt is that you previously helped the opponents to thin.

If attacks are stronger in 3+ player games anyway then how is having the non-attack part of the card get stronger with more players a good idea?
Tell that to Pirate Ship and Jester, why don't they just target one player? Why is Pirate Ship so risky in 2P and so safe in 4P? Why can you only gain one card with Jester in 2P yet three cards in 4P?
Why is Ambassador a net trasher in a 2P game yet a net junker in a 4P game (assuming for the sake of simplicity that every plays has an equal amount of Ambassadors)?
I don't see anybody here ripping apart such official Attack cards whose power and behaviour varies significantly with increasing player count.

Does the card really get ruined if that part is just changed to a flat +1 or 2 Coffers?
No, here I am totally with you. As I already said in the post you replied to, I think that an unconditional +1 Coffers is good as it gets rid of "Coin spread" issues

Militia+Witch or Followers don't lock you out of the game. More debt than it's possible for you to pay off or old Masquerade+Royal Carriage lock you out of the game.

Mountebank, Cultist and Followers have all got to be among the most hated cards in Dominion so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? I think all those cards suck, if someone posted them here and they weren't already official cards I'd tell them that I think they're overpowered in an opressive, boring way.

Mercenary doesn't do anything that can intrinsically lead to stalemates, it's totally different to (old) Banshee. I'll reiterate again becasause you haven't seemed to realise yet: it wasn't about powerlevel, it was an intrinsically broken mechanic.

Pirate Ship and Jester are both really weak in 2 player games (yes even Jester) that is a pretty big flaw with those cards. People tend not to vocally hate weak cards though because they tend to stifle diverse strategies less than overpowered cards. It doesn't mean they aren't heavily flawed cards though. Ambassador is also a really messed up card, it adds about 10 turns of nothing to 2 player games and makes 3+ player games these endless slogs... We should use the old cards from back when Donald X didn't know better to learn and make our designs better. Have you noticed that all of the newer expansions feature generally weaker attacks than old ones with none of these issues?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2018, 02:48:40 pm »

How strong would it make Banshee if it gained a Spoils if anyone didn't take debt? Just one spoils, not one per player.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2018, 06:15:43 am »

Militia+Witch or Followers don't lock you out of the game. More debt than it's possible for you to pay off or old Masquerade+Royal Carriage lock you out of the game.
That's indeed a THEORETICAL possibility and the main reason to be careful with Debt attacks. You have to complicate it somehow (otherwise I am against it as well!) to make it work, e.g. make the Debt attack conditional like Asper did with his Scribe, tie the Debt junker into a split pile with a trasher like I did with Racketeer - City Guard - Blackmail or make the Debt attack a non-Supply card that is gained by a card that helps the opponents to thin massively like Fly-Eagle-Fly did.

It is like with Plunder. A non-terminal, unconditional VP token gainer is something that you should never ever do as a normal Kingdom card, but it magically works out if you put it into a split pile-

In PRACTICE I have not encountered a problem so far with Scribe and Bribe and Fly-Eagly-Fly has neither during his test game. This doesn't mean that Marsh-Banshee actually works, it could still be broken. But, and here our design philosophies differ, in my opinion this should be decided by playtesting experience instead of general theoretical opposition to Debt attacks.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2018, 05:45:48 pm »

I just playtested this version with 2 players:
Each other player who has less than 4 debt takes 1 debt. +1 coffers per player who didn't (including you).
The card mostly worked, with the Marsh benefit being powerful but not too much, and the Banshees not taking over the game completely. The main thing I noticed was that the coffers just canceled out the debt most of the time, which I personally did not find fantastic. Next time I'm going to playtest a version that gives you a spoils if anyone didn't take debt.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:49:30 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2018, 05:52:39 pm »

I also changed the wording.
+1 Coffers
Each other player who has less than 4 debt takes 1 debt. +1 Coffers per player who didn't.

Is it clear that it means the same thing as before? I just didn't like the 'including you' part. Also, after I playtest the Spoils version I will try a flat +1 or 2 coffers to see how that plays out.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2018, 10:14:56 am »

Fairy Grove looks fine, like a quicker-to-play version of Fool. It needs the Fate type though.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2018, 10:42:26 am »

Fairy Grove looks fine, like a quicker-to-play version of Fool. It needs the Fate type though.
Thanks, fixed.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2018, 01:06:28 am »

A lot of these are very cute. I want to note though, that Fairy Grove's wording makes it seem like you intended its "while in play" effect to offer a choice between receiving that other player's Boon or getting the next-turn-effect. That is not the case. Perhaps you have it discarded to make sure it can't be used to receive several Boons outside your turn, fully aware the next-turn-effect will persist. But it misleads the player into thinking this wasn't the place. Perhaps do the Renaissance thing and write "(you will still get the next-turn-effect)"?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2018, 01:15:10 am »

Holunder9, I appreciate your mention of my Scribe on the subject of Debt attacks. I would just like to say, I specifically made it so that you don't get Debt if you are already overwhelmed by it. To get debt, you need to be debt-free, and actually buy something.

I have no strong opinion on whether split piles legitimate debt attacks (they certainly push them back to later parts of the game), but Plunder doesn't strike me as outlandish design that needs to be on a split pile. Like Monument, it is so much weaker if you don't actually intend to spend its coins that it falls flat as a strategy.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2018, 12:04:19 pm »

So I playtested Haunted Mansion yesterday, and it worked well. My opponent did not buy it, but I used it to get 4 ghosts. I decided not to use it anymore after that, because I was drawing my deck every turn through a combination of City Quarter, Scheme, and Wild Hunt. And also Ghost of course. And Lurker so my Ghosts would hit something every time. My opponent did not like that game very much.  :)

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2018, 05:59:02 pm »

Craftsmen Village is too good, just compare it to Sculptor. It also seems to be doing too much so I'd either cut the handgaining or make it terminal.

Ice Sculpture looks nice but probably has to cost $6 or $8. In the opening freezing is like pseudotrashing, in the endgame freezing is like pseudo-Island-ing and you get a Hireling effect on top of it. Perhaps just do the freezing and make it a cheap Project such that you get the pseudotrashing earlier in the game?

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2018, 04:04:10 am »

A lot of these are very cute. I want to note though, that Fairy Grove's wording makes it seem like you intended its "while in play" effect to offer a choice between receiving that other player's Boon or getting the next-turn-effect. That is not the case. Perhaps you have it discarded to make sure it can't be used to receive several Boons outside your turn, fully aware the next-turn-effect will persist. But it misleads the player into thinking this wasn't the place. Perhaps do the Renaissance thing and write "(you will still get the next-turn-effect)"?

If the intention is to be one or the other, Fly-Eagles-Fly could word it as such:

Now and at the start of your next turn (if this is still in play): ...

Or something like this.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2018, 07:33:23 am »

If the intention is to be one or the other, Fly-Eagles-Fly could word it as such:

Or something like this.
Yes, that's the wording I was looking for. Thanks.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2018, 03:34:42 pm »

Or something like this.
Yes, that's the wording I was looking for. Thanks.

No problem. Still on the topic of Fairy Grove. The bottom part might need to specify that it's being discarded from play to avoid any confusion.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2018, 02:46:28 am »

I like the new Ice Sculpture. Perhaps it doesn't need the Journey token but being able to freeze a card every turn might be too good.
Deposit looks simple and good.
Only providing VPs for differently n amed Victory cards is a neat design. I fear that Pavilion could still be too good, especially in multiplayer games, but it is a stop card for $6 that only yields some VPs. I doubt that you could make something abusive out of it like with Goons or Groundskeeper.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2018, 03:20:05 am »

Or something like this.
It's a bit like the chicken-and-egg problem. If you discard your card this turn, it's not in play next turn, so you did right, because it won't do anything next turn. If you keep it out, it does something, so you did right to keep it out.
Not saying you need to break your head over this, but perhaps it can be avoided.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2018, 10:09:22 am »

The idea behind Fairy Grove was a card that gave you two Boons: One when you played it and one between the end of that turn and the start of your next turn. That's also where the name came from; Pixie gives you a Boon twice, Fairy grove gives you 2 Boons. Similar, but different. Also, Sacred Grove: You get a Boon during someone else's turn. Actually the opposite of Sacred Grove, but whatever.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2018, 10:12:00 am »

Only providing VPs for differently named Victory cards is a neat design. I fear that Pavilion could still be too good, especially in multiplayer games, but it is a stop card for $6 that only yields some VPs. I doubt that you could make something abusive out of it like with Goons or Groundskeeper.
The thing with Pavilion is that it's only good near the end of the game, which might prove to make it rather weak. For it to be good, your opponents need to be buying Victory cards, and you need to have Victory cards. It just needs playtesting. I really need to play more Dominion :D.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2018, 05:56:49 pm »

Pirate Cove/Galleon: The main problem is, how often will Galleon actually be uncovered? Pirate Cove looks like something you rarely want even one of on its own; to be worth it you'll have to want the Spoils more than your opponent and have a deck that can support a bunch of terminal Silvers. Patrician and Settlers are weak top cards but they're at least cantrips. The interaction with Galleon looks strong, but would filling your deck with terminal Silvers first be worth it?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2018, 06:01:42 pm »

Pirate Cove/Galleon: The main problem is, how often will Galleon actually be uncovered? Pirate Cove looks like something you rarely want even one of on its own; to be worth it you'll have to want the Spoils more than your opponent and have a deck that can support a bunch of terminal Silvers. Patrician and Settlers are weak top cards but they're at least cantrips. The interaction with Galleon looks strong, but would filling your deck with terminal Silvers first be worth it?
Hm. How strong would it be if it gave +1 Action? Looking at Wishing Well vs Mystic, it seems very strong, but that's also because since Mystic doesn't draw a card it has much stronger self-synergy.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2018, 03:59:50 am »

I don't see any interaction between Galleon and Pirate Cove. Even if Pirate Cove only gained Spoils for you it it would hedge you only very mildy against Galleon attack as you might want to discard the Spoils in some situations.
This is why I'd do Galleon as a standalone card.

Without the self-trashing Traitor is clearly a better engine piece than Militia. But would you really get those hideous Hideouts, that semi-junk (hard to imagine a situation in which you have the terminal space for something that net draws only one card) into your deck to ensure the survival of your Traitors?
It is neat that the Hideouts cover up the Traitors, like Encampment/Plunder but I'd buff Hideout to make this idea work.

Drawbridge looks fine. The Debt costs might not be necessary although I see that it is questionable whether this is ok at $6.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2018, 11:19:41 am »

Alright, now Hideout can also trash a card, maybe this is too strong? Now it looks a lot like Masquerade, I might change it to cost $3 or find a different way to make it better.

Galleon can put the gained Spoils into your hand. Is there a way to make you want to give everyone a spoils, because I like that idea but it seems weak. Would buffing Pirate Cove help, or not really?

The debt in drawbridge is to make it more equal-opportunity since it is pretty strong.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2018, 11:33:44 am »

Maybe make other players discard a card to gain a Spoils, but then Galleon's attack can be pointless. I could do something like this for Galleon's attack:

Each other player trashes a Treasure from their hand costing $2 - $5, or reveals they can't.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2018, 08:25:25 am »

Well, I'll figure out what to do with Galleon, but I used Pirate Cove (sort of) in my Traveller line. Here it makes sense thematically even more; when you're getting trained, and get anything good, the older warriors take it from you (if it's that kind of army, which this is).

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2018, 01:15:20 pm »

Some comments on the Traveller line:

Captive is extremely weak (which is OK).

Doesn't hurt if the 3 in the Traveller line is weakish and Woodcutter is arguably a weak 3 so Trainee is fine.

The 4 in a Traveller line can be better than a Kingdom 4 (Fugitive) so Barbarian is also OK. The Gold might actually be worse than the Coffers in an engine so it is a cool choice for the opponents.

Just compare Viking King to Hireling to see how weak it is. Hireling is the duration equivalent of Laboratory but this is the duration equivalent of half a restricted Throne Room that sometimes comes with 2VPs on top. The whole thing only works if there are other Attack cards in the Kingdom or you managed to get a Commander.

The wording of Convert is unclear but I guess you mean that you can e.g. play this for +3 Cards and +1 Action. DoubleLaboratory is very good and this is superflexible.

Now Monk totally shines, it is the Hireling equivalent of something better than Grand Market. And Converts are something you want en masse anyway. Now if an opponent is stupid enough to go for Viking King you even get some free card draw on top.

The splitting lines are a cool idea but they vary too wildly in power.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2018, 04:16:46 pm »
+1

Captive Traveler Line:

Captive - Weak as most starting Traveler Line cards should be, but this one particularly seems harsh. I think gaining the Silver to your hand would be completely acceptable and a nice reward for players who take the risk of opening Captive/Silver. Also opens up some nice interactions with other Silver strategy cards. Other than that, I think it's a nice, clean card and a good fit to start the line!

Trainee - I highly recommend changing this to read "Each player (including you) gains a Spoils." So few cards effect all players, I think it is easy for players to misread this and not give themselves a Spoils as well.

Barbarian - I also recommend for clarity changing to bottom half to read "When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a (choose one): Convert; or Commander." It may look a bit weird, but all other official Dominion cards present choices in this manner and I think players are used to seeing this visual cue.

Commander - I think this could use a +1 Card added to it. Would give it a slight buff and a stronger interaction with Viking King. Cool attack part though! Also, the bottom says to exchange this for a "Savage King" instead of "Viking King".

Viking King - I think this could do without the Journey Token bit. It takes a lot of work to get to this point and the reword should be well worth it. This could probably just double every Attack with no conditions and give +1 VP token. This may seem harsh, but at this point in the game, Curses may already be out and people should have strong enough engines to survive discard Attacks.

All in all I think this is a cool Traveler line. They are certainly not easy to make and it's nice to see someone taking up the challenge. Any cards or aspects I didn't mention I think are good. Thanks for sharing!

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2018, 08:29:28 am »

Yeah, I kind of forgot to fix Viking King. I had had a couple of different ideas, and this version is a conglomerate of different ones that I forgot to finish up. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing with it.
I may buff Captive a bit, don't know.
I'll change the wording suggestions, thanks. And yes, Convert could play +3 cards, +1 Action, or something like that. Should that wording be changed?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2018, 04:30:40 pm »

On an unrelated note, Deposit, Scientist, and Night Market all tested well in recent games. Loot seemed a bit too strong. I will probably change that one a little bit.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2018, 04:31:40 pm »

Viking king is now a bit stronger.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2018, 09:09:56 am »

I also tested Fairy Grove recently, and the top part worked wonderfully, but only one player got it, so I didn't really test the bottom part.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2018, 02:30:15 pm »

Developer is nice. Like Slumlord it also interacts with Treasures (OK, Slumlord is even more funky, being able to do tricks like Throning a Ghost Village). You can e.g. play a Silver afterwards and get the extra Buy.
I guess it is better than Hamlet. Most Kingdoms have something decent in the 2-4 range. Like Developer itself.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2018, 02:46:33 pm »

Apparently Viking King wasn't showing up. Now it is.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2018, 03:57:24 pm »

Just added Copier, another card (less-obviously) inspired by Slumlord. I'm not sure if it's worded the way I want it too play. It should be like this: Play Labaratory, +2 Cards, +1 Action. Play Market, +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, + $1. Play Copier, +2 Cards +1 Action OR +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy + $1. Also, if it was just the bottom part, would it be an Action-Reaction or just Reaction?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:05:19 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2018, 09:05:00 am »

Just added Meeting. Is it cheating to say 'take debt' to make it work? Also, I am really not sure if this is very good or way too strong.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2018, 11:40:37 am »

For Meeting, just having a cost of $4 and 4 debt is effectively the same.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2018, 11:55:40 am »

Cost-wise, not functionally. The event itself has to do with cards you have in play costing more or less than it, and not much costs more or less than $4 and 4 debt.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2018, 12:20:57 pm »

Cost-wise, not functionally. The event itself has to do with cards you have in play costing more or less than it, and not much costs more or less than $4 and 4 debt.

I would recommend trying to give it a cost of , and then having the wording refer to "Cost in " like Forge/Bishop. It's just awkward having it say "Take " when that is what debt-cost does already.

*Edit* Or more simply, just refer to cards that cost more than, less than, or equal to . I think you should have a good reason (such as BoM not playing cards) to purposefully remove interactions with cost-reducers.

Meeting - - Event
-------------------------------------------
For every 2 cards you have in play that cost:
More than , +1 Coffers
Less than , +2 Villagers
Exactly , +1

The interesting thing here is that cost-reducers don't make it either more powerful or less powerful; just different.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:27:10 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2018, 01:54:06 pm »

I would recommend trying to give it a cost of , and then having the wording refer to "Cost in " like Forge/Bishop. It's just awkward having it say "Take " when that is what debt-cost does already.

*Edit* Or more simply, just refer to cards that cost more than, less than, or equal to . I think you should have a good reason (such as BoM not playing cards) to purposefully remove interactions with cost-reducers.

Meeting - - Event
-------------------------------------------
For every 2 cards you have in play that cost:
More than , +1 Coffers
Less than , +2 Villagers
Exactly , +1

The interesting thing here is that cost-reducers don't make it either more powerful or less powerful; just different.
Thanks, I think I will change it too that, except instead of exactly 4 I will keep it like it is, so it interacts with debt and potion costs.
Edit: Actually, I'm just going to change the cost to $6, since the only reason debt was involved at all was so my wording would work.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:56:09 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2018, 05:17:44 pm »

Just made a several fixes to the OP. Made Captive gain the silver to your hand, added (Including you) to Trainee, renamed Scepter to Staff in light of Renaissance, and removed Pirate Cove/Galleon. I will probably remake Galleon soon, but I used Pirate Cove for Trainee.
Edit: Also made you discard Hideout instead of return to the Supply. I don't really like the way the wording looks now, saying discard this to discard it, but I like the function better now. Also, it adds a bit of thematic touch; you put your Traitor where the Hideout is.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:21:48 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2018, 11:20:17 am »

Added Medallion, a treasure that can be a Copper+ or a scheme, and a second version of Craftsmen Village, because the other version wasn't so great. Maybe this one isn't either, I don't know.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2018, 08:51:42 am »

Added Cook, don't know if it's balanced or not. Had it cost $4 to start, then saw it looked better than Navigator so I added the debt clause.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2018, 02:55:51 pm »

Added Asylum and Insane. Really don't like the art I have for Insane, any help would be appreciated.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2018, 03:12:21 pm »

I guess that +2 Cards and +2 Coins would be better than Smithy which is why Cook is perhaps too cheap. Otherwise it is a very nice design.
Asylum looks fine but I have a small issue with it: every deck wants at least one copy of it, there is only a downside if you add a second copy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2018, 03:16:13 pm »

Added Asylum and Insane. Really don't like the art I have for Insane, any help would be appreciated.

I would suggest wording Insane as "you may gain a Curse. If you do not, return the Asylum to the supply". That avoids the whole "you cannot choose an option you can't do" thing. This version does allow you to keep an Asylum that you gained from the Black Market, but then again if you gain an Asylum from the Black Market, it's pretty rare to be able to play more than one per turn anyway. And I can't think of any other situation where "return it to the supply" is a thing that you can't do. Even if it would get trashed by Procession or something; Insane would trigger first.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2018, 03:18:54 pm »

I guess that +2 Cards and +2 Coins would be better than Smithy which is why Cook is perhaps too cheap. Otherwise it is a very nice design.
Asylum looks fine but I have a small issue with it: every deck wants at least one copy of it, there is only a downside if you add a second copy.
Would it work better if you only took Insane for your first Asylum each turn? Or would that weaken it too much?
Edit: For Cook, are you saying that it is still too cheap, or would be without the bottom part? I could maybe just make it cost $5 flat-out.

I would suggest wording Insane as "you may gain a Curse. If you do not, return the Asylum to the supply". That avoids the whole "you cannot choose an option you can't do" thing. This version does allow you to keep an Asylum that you gained from the Black Market, but then again if you gain an Asylum from the Black Market, it's pretty rare to be able to play more than one per turn anyway. And I can't think of any other situation where "return it to the supply" is a thing that you can't do. Even if it would get trashed by Procession or something; Insane would trigger first.
Thanks, that was the other part of Insane that I didn't like, but forgot to mention it.
Edit: Fixed now.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 03:30:07 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2018, 03:30:08 pm »

Would it work better if you only took Insane for your first Asylum each turn? Or would that weaken it too much?
The first copy of a card being practically a forced buy in nearly all Kingdoms (it is a Lost City with something good instead of bad on-gain so the first copy is even good in BM) it is not a feature which official cards have. Let's just keep this in mind, that's all.
 I don't think that it is much of an issue as you usually want several Asylums and then there are collision risks so evaluating how you build a good deck such that you mostly play only one Asylum per turn or how you build a good deck that can handle self-Cursing leads to interesting play.

If you change it to taking Insane conditional on playing the first Asylum you lose some of that tension so I wouldn't do it.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2018, 06:17:07 pm »

For Insane:

Artist Credit: John Stanko

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2018, 07:00:33 pm »
+1

Your plot token description can just be put onto a mat for simplicity. Here is a quick mockup. Should play the same.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:56:37 pm by Kudasai »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2018, 08:09:55 pm »

For Insane:

Artist Credit: John Stanko
Thanks, this is great!

Your plot token description can just be put onto a mat for simplicity. Here is a quick mockup. Should play the same.

WOW! Do you mind if I use this as-is? It's just perfect! Even the artwork fits!

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2018, 08:28:03 pm »

I decided to make Cook cost a flat rate of $5, since +2 Cards, +$2 is pretty good in its own right, then there's also the sifting/trashing, so there it is.
Also, I made some adjustments on Banshee I wanted to make a while ago.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2018, 08:46:41 pm »

Please do! I forgot to add Debt and Potion cost to it though. I can change that later. Also, have you considered removing the cost restriction altogether? Scheme doesn't have one and it is well balanced.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2018, 09:38:14 pm »

Please do! I forgot to add Debt and Potion cost to it though. I can change that later. Also, have you considered removing the cost restriction altogether? Scheme doesn't have one and it is well balanced.
If you could add that, that would be fantastic. I just thought it would be too close to Scheme to just do it like that. I mean, you can already just topdeck Scheme if you want to save it for later, so Plot tokens would be basically the same.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2018, 02:57:21 am »

Awesome post, there are some really neat ideas in here! I jotted down a few thoughts about how some cards play, for what they're worth, but mostly I'm just good for being pedantic about grammar.
  • Raconteur: I really like this idea, under-buying to draw more next turn is interesting. There is a tracking issue of how many to draw; it might be helped by drawing those cards during Clean-up (but I'm sure you're trying to avoid Militias). I suppose the Boon is the consolation prize, but it seems unrelated and might be fine without it. Also, the concept could be an overpay event; a variable Expedition.
  • Haunted Mansion: Someone could choose to receive infinite Hexes, and the game lasts forever. Likely not a real concern, I know. Still I'd try, "Gain any Spirit from its pile. For every $2 is costs (round down), receive the next Hex."
  • Hideout: It should specify where Hideout can be discarded from (can you discard it from play as well as from your hand?). "When you would" on Trader and Possession has caused notorious rules issues. I might try, "When you trash a Traitor, you may discard this from ____ to gain the Traitor from the Trash." Also, having cards called Traitor and Trader could be confusing.
  • Banshee: It could hand out a Copper with the Debt to avoid totally locking anyone out. Of course that's an additional attack.
  • Ice Sculpture: This needs to say when it happens, e.g. "At the start of your turn…".
  • Night Market: I really like the self-synergy in this one. It's like a Night Merchant Guild, but the Buys carrying over from turn to turn means it could snowball.

The wording/grammar suggestions, as promised:
  • Fairy Grove: I think the parenthetical part is too important to be in parentheses
  • Nymph: Longer but more consistent with published cards is, "When you gain this, if it is the first Nymph you've gained this turn, +1 Buy."
  • Winery: "Take the Wine" would better match the previewed Artifacts. With that wording, Wine Cask might be less awkward.
  • Cook: Should say "put the rest into your hand". (Nicer in the rare cases your deck runs out.)
  • Craftsmen Village: Should say "$4 or more", matching Sage.
  • Field: Missing the period after the second to last sentence.
  • Asylum: Should say "If this is not the first time you played an Asylum this turn", matching Crossroads.
  • Haunted Mansion: Should probably say "any Spirit", matching Tournament.
  • Loot: Should say "3 Loots".
  • Pavilion: I would combine the last two sentences so it's extra-clear it all happens at the start of your next turn. If you have enough room, next-turn effects on Duration cards try to be a separate paragraph.
  • Commander: Should say "Viking King", or Viking King should be named Savage King.
  • Ice Sculpture: Should say "Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then…", matching Giant. "Three" should also be "3".
  • Meeting: Should say "Exactly $4".
  • Pyramid: Should say "When you play a 3rd copy of an Action card in one of your turns", matching Labyrinth. "Scepter" needs to be updated to say "Staff".
  • Staff: Should say "At the start of your turn", matching Key.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2018, 03:26:17 am »

Here is the Plot mat with Debt and Potion cost accounted for:

And just in case you ever want a non-conditional Plot mat. It is as you said just a Scheme, but the cards that give the tokens can be as diverse and far from Scheme as you want. ;)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2018, 04:30:14 am »

• Hideout: It should specify where Hideout can be discarded from (can you discard it from play as well as from your hand?). "When you would" on Trader and Possession has caused notorious rules issues. I might try, "When you trash a Traitor, you may discard this from ____ to gain the Traitor from the Trash." Also, having cards called Traitor and Trader could be confusing.
Nah, discard by default means from your hand. I agree to the rest, though.

Also, official cards say "take THE (Artifact name)". If that sounds weird with Wine, then maybe that's because Wine isn't a thing of which you'd believe that there's only one.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2018, 08:39:45 am »

Awesome post, there are some really neat ideas in here! I jotted down a few thoughts about how some cards play, for what they're worth, but mostly I'm just good for being pedantic about grammar.
  • Raconteur: I really like this idea, under-buying to draw more next turn is interesting. There is a tracking issue of how many to draw; it might be helped by drawing those cards during Clean-up (but I'm sure you're trying to avoid Militias). I suppose the Boon is the consolation prize, but it seems unrelated and might be fine without it. Also, the concept could be an overpay event; a variable Expedition.
  • Haunted Mansion: Someone could choose to receive infinite Hexes, and the game lasts forever. Likely not a real concern, I know. Still I'd try, "Gain any Spirit from its pile. For every $2 is costs (round down), receive the next Hex."
  • Banshee: It could hand out a Copper with the Debt to avoid totally locking anyone out. Of course that's an additional attack.
  • Ice Sculpture: This needs to say when it happens, e.g. "At the start of your turn…".
  • Night Market: I really like the self-synergy in this one. It's like a Night Merchant Guild, but the Buys carrying over from turn to turn means it could snowball.

The wording/grammar suggestions, as promised:
  • Fairy Grove: I think the parenthetical part is too important to be in parentheses
  • Nymph: Longer but more consistent with published cards is, "When you gain this, if it is the first Nymph you've gained this turn, +1 Buy."
  • Winery: "Take the Wine" would better match the previewed Artifacts. With that wording, Wine Cask might be less awkward.
  • Cook: Should say "put the rest into your hand". (Nicer in the rare cases your deck runs out.)
  • Craftsmen Village: Should say "$4 or more", matching Sage.
  • Field: Missing the period after the second to last sentence.
  • Asylum: Should say "If this is not the first time you played an Asylum this turn", matching Crossroads.
  • Haunted Mansion: Should probably say "any Spirit", matching Tournament.
  • Loot: Should say "3 Loots".
  • Pavilion: I would combine the last two sentences so it's extra-clear it all happens at the start of your next turn. If you have enough room, next-turn effects on Duration cards try to be a separate paragraph.
  • Commander: Should say "Viking King", or Viking King should be named Savage King.
  • Ice Sculpture: Should say "Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then…", matching Giant. "Three" should also be "3".
  • Meeting: Should say "Exactly $4".
  • Pyramid: Should say "When you play a 3rd copy of an Action card in one of your turns", matching Labyrinth. "Scepter" needs to be updated to say "Staff".
  • Staff: Should say "At the start of your turn", matching Key.
Thanks a lot for your help!
Raconteur was an 'earlier' design (As in, I added it about two weeks ago; I've only been here less than a month), and the Boon was for two reasons. First of all, if you had multiple Raconteurs at once, the first one wouldn't be the only useful one. Also, it ties in with the flavor: Raconteur means 'a person who tells anecdotes in a skillful and amusing way.' So kind of combined Storyteller and Bard. For now I'll leave it as a card, but to be honest most of my cards have had exactly 0 playtesting, so maybe I will change it later.
I like that wording for Haunted Mansion, will update in a minute.
I changed Hideout and Traitor (Which is now called Treasonist for the time being) to say on Treasonist, 'You may discard a Hideout. If you didn't, trash this.' Seems to eliminate most problems for now.
I fixed most of the cards you listed, maybe forgot one or two.
For Meeting, I have it as-is so it interacts with debt or potion cost cards, which cost neither more nor less than $ costs.
Thanks again.
Edit: Also, I fixed Haunted Mansion to match Exorcist, instead of Tournament.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:42:43 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2018, 09:04:59 am »

I like Traitor better as a name... Treasonist sounds a bit artificial and flavorless in comparison.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2018, 12:03:14 pm »

I like Traitor better as a name... Treasonist sounds a bit artificial and flavorless in comparison.
True. I don't know... Traitor/Trader is a lot closer than any other pair of card names in Dominion I can think of. Obviously there's Knights/Night, but Night is a type instead of a name. I think I will put it back to Traitor, though, since it is much better than Treasonist. I'll probably flip-flop several times before I'm satisfied. If anyone has a better name than Treasonist, that would be great.

Also, updated the mat. Thanks again Kudasai!

Just added this:

Edit: Also, I plan to playtest Nymph and Copier today. Should be fun! Don't think I'll be able to get a great sense of how balanced Nymph is compared to other Spellcasters though, but it's still worth the playtesting.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:13:59 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2018, 12:36:57 pm »

Except maybe Mine/Mint. Or those dozends of Mountain, Fishing, Border, Native, Farming, Worker's, Mining, Bustling, Blessed or Cursed Villages. Fortune & Capital are also easily confusable, or Bandit Camp and Bandit Fort. Which isn't Fortress, of course. And then there's Silk Road, Silk Merchant, Spice Merchant, Merchant Guild, Merchant Ship... Markets over Markets, Plaza, Piazza, Pizza...

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2018, 12:42:00 pm »

Yes but say the word Traitor or Trader to someone and ask them which one you said.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2018, 12:45:59 pm »

This looks good but I think it is too weak. You need to buy the card at least twice to make up for the investment into Harbor. Ways to buff it are e.g. getting rid of the cost restriction or gaining a card when buying this Project.

The latter implies that this should be implemented as Event which would also allow you to buy it again and move the token again like with Plan.

Yes but say the word Traitor or Trader to someone and ask them which one you said.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2018, 12:56:43 pm »

Apparently it didn't seem bad enough to stop generations of English speakers from preferring to use "Traitor" over "Treasonist". When is this going to come up? In a real-world game that has both cards, between people with sloppy pronounciation, in situations where they talk about the card without visibly interacting with it? And what's the harm even then? I mean, it's your card, feel free to name it as you wish. I know it wouldn't keep me from doing it. But if you have to rename it, I'm sure you'll find something better.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2018, 01:06:19 pm »

Well, you convinced me. Traitor it is (for now).

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2018, 01:37:27 pm »

In a real-world game that has both cards, between people with sloppy pronounciation, in situations where they talk about the card without visibly interacting with it? And what's the harm even then?

It just depends how much you care about what Donald X. would do; as a fan designer you can of course do whatever you like. Courier was renamed to Harbinger because it was too similar to Courtier. Some other names though could be Defector or Renegade.

For Meeting, I have it as-is so it interacts with debt or potion cost cards, which cost neither more nor less than $ costs.

Hmm, that makes sense. But I'm not sure everyone will pick up on that. It might be friendlier to spell it out, "Exactly $4, or has P or D in the cost", but you're already tight on room.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2018, 01:43:19 pm »

In a real-world game that has both cards, between people with sloppy pronounciation, in situations where they talk about the card without visibly interacting with it? And what's the harm even then?

It just depends how much you care about what Donald X. would do; as a fan designer you can of course do whatever you like. Courier was renamed to Harbinger because it was too similar to Courtier. Some other names though could be Defector or Renegade.
Renegade could work. I'll think about that.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2018, 07:13:24 pm »
+1

Renegade could work. I'll think about that.

Or you could add "in games using this, speak with British accents."

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2018, 02:14:52 pm »

Looks like I messed up the title font on that last mat I gave you. Here is a corrected version.

Had to make a judgement call, but Plots sounds better than Plot. I guess the final determination can be made when the Villager(s) mat is revealed.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2018, 04:55:41 pm »

Looks like I messed up the title font on that last mat I gave you. Here is a corrected version.

Had to make a judgement call, but Plots sounds better than Plot. I guess the final determination can be made when the Villager(s) mat is revealed.
I like it fine as Plot, but if the Villager mat says Villagers, I'll change this.
Here are some cards I made from my scrapped Heir:

For Pub, the reason there is a different effect for plays after your first in a turn is because putting multiple cards back onto your deck during your turn could be even more confusing than with only one. Also, I'm not sure the wording for Puppets is quite right.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 05:39:37 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2018, 05:56:32 pm »

Here's a new split pile I made, mostly inspired by the names.

Or these (click to enlargen):

I can't decide which art looks more Dominion-y. Any thoughts?

Edit: Also, changed Pavilion. The old version felt too much like an Attack, and didn't seem very good until the later game anyway. I'm not sure it still needs to cost $6, or if it ever needed to for that matter.
Edit: Also, added Slum Market
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:49:02 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2018, 02:50:56 am »

If you read Anvil as a Conspirator variant the Silver gaining of Tools seems more like a liability than an asset, i.e. Tools is an overpriced sifter that you mainly want to enable Anvils.
I think the split pile is fine although Anvil could be too good at $4.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2018, 03:06:30 am »

Tools/Anvil - A bit too tired at the moment to comment in detail, but my first thought is that Anvil really should give some sort of utility without having played a Tools card. If a player misses out on getting a Tools, there is no incentive (ignoring a few interactions with other Kingdom cards) to get an Anvil. It just ends up being a cantrip.

Certainly you want to reward players that made the effort to get Tools, but it should still give a little something to those who didn't. Avanto is quite bad and overpriced without Sauna, but it still gives +3 Cards if needed.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:08:41 am by Kudasai »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2018, 08:39:26 am »

Yes, I do need to change Anvil. Should have a new version up by tomorrow.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2018, 02:23:51 pm »
+1

Puppets - First and foremost let us address this terribly creepy image you've chosen. I mean it's Halloween soon, but come on! :P So I still like the concept of competing with other players to have the most of one card, but I think Puppets is going to run into a few issues:

(1) This condition is way too easy to satisfy. Since you still get +2 Coffers off a tie with other players, everyone is almost guaranteed (minus terrible shuffle luck) to have +4 Coffers (+2 Coffers from the on-play and +2 Coffers from the next turn) by their 2nd reshuffle. Now that it is a terminal, Duration Action, in Kingdoms without Village support you may only ever be able to get one of these out at once, two if you're lucky or you have a thin enough deck. In any of these cases, it will be quite hard to have more Puppets in play then your opponent and thus Puppets will always be a super-powered Merchant Ship. 

(2) Since having the most Puppets is the only condition for +2 Coffers, players will be at a huge disadvantage if they lose the split or are unfortunate enough to player 3 in a three player game. I'm not sure how, but I think this needs to count other conditions, like type, number of types, cost, etc. Of course now this has to become "Each other player may reveal more <condition> cards from their hand then you have in play. If any player doesn't,..." Or something like that.

To fix this you could make it so you have to have more than your opponent to get the bonus, but then you may never get it. Or you could make this a non-terminal Action so they can be stacked.

Whatever you decide, I'd just caution against any explosively good bonuses for pulling this off. It sure seems fun, but I think it could make for swingy games. A good card with a small reward is less flashy, but I think it will lead to more fun and fairer games. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for sharing these cards! There are so many now!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:32:07 pm by Kudasai »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2018, 02:31:29 pm »

Pub - Of this would be so much fun if you could top-deck multiple times per turn! If people can't keep track of their hands that's their problem! :P

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2018, 05:31:09 pm »

Is there a way to reword Puppets so you only get the bonus once, not once per Puppets? Would that help?
Edit:
Also for Anvil, what about adding +1 Coffers to the top and giving you +1 Coffers for having a tool in play, and make it cost $5.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 05:33:51 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2018, 06:38:05 pm »

Is there a way to reword Puppets so you only get the bonus once, not once per Puppets? Would that help?
Edit:
Also for Anvil, what about adding +1 Coffers to the top and giving you +1 Coffers for having a tool in play, and make it cost $5.

I'm sure there is some kind of "if this is the first time" wording that would work. I'm assuming you're talking once per turn. This would be my suggestion. I'm not sure if it's balanced, but it will only proc once per turn.

+1 Card
If you have more Puppets in play then each other player for the first time this turn, +2 Coffers.
Now and at the start of your next turn, +1 Buy.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2018, 06:18:40 am »

As Kudasai has rightly pointed out, Puppets is first and above all a Merchant Ship variant so I'd get rid of the other vanilla stuff
These are my concrete suggestions to simplify and nerf the card:

$4
Action-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: if you have more Puppets in play than the player to your left, +2 Coffers.

$5
Action-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: if no other players has more Puppets in play than you, +2 Coffers.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2018, 08:55:20 am »

As Kudasai has rightly pointed out, Puppets is first and above all a Merchant Ship variant so I'd get rid of the other vanilla stuff
These are my concrete suggestions to simplify and nerf the card:

$4
Action-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: if you have more Puppets in play than the player to your left, +2 Coffers.

$5
Action-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: if no other players has more Puppets in play than you, +2 Coffers.
Thanks, I think I'll use the first one (for now, anyways). Seaside is one of the three sets I don't have; knew this would happen sometime.
Edit: Also, I don't really have a good image right now. If I can't find a better one, I'll have to use that creepy thing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:07:16 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2018, 10:29:05 am »

Now Anvil is a Peddler that can give you an extra coin, is that good enough, or should I make it coffers instead? It just seemed better to do this.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2018, 04:33:14 pm »

Now Anvil is a Peddler that can give you an extra coin, is that good enough, or should I make it coffers instead? It just seemed better to do this.

Tools/Anvil - When Anvil collides with Tools for +1 Card, +1 Action and +$2 Coin, that is certainly a very good card. I think that would be around a $7 or $7.5 cost if it gave that effect unconditionally. I can't say if this is balanced, but $5 with a required collision seems like a fair place to start testing it.

To me the real question seems to be how strong is Tools? Can you just run through the Tools pile without pause to get to the Anvils? Will they clog up your hand or not provide enough utility to punish players who rush them?

I'd recommend making Tools cost $4 Coin and further possibly removing the sifting if it provided too much utility early. I feel the objective for the player should be figuring out how to best manage getting through the Tools pile to get to the real prize the Anvil pile. The $4 price point is a much higher opportunity cost than $3 and now that Tools can proc Silver gaining off other Tools, players who mindlessly try and pile out the Tools will more likely clog their decks with Silvers, making Tools/Anvil collisions less likely. At least this is what I hypothesize. Also, in games with three or more players, you wanna give every player a fair chance to grab a Tools. Cost $3 can make that tricky with only 5 copies.

A straight cantrip that can gain Silvers has a lot of good uses outside of empowering your Anvils. They can be extremely powerful with good trashing and of course other cards that like Silvers.

Puppets - This is not an image of puppets, but maybe it can work? It's got the creepy factor!

Artist Credit: Xavier Gueniffey Durin

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2018, 03:01:20 pm »

Been almost a week since I added anything, here's Anvil/Tools 2.0. Now Tool is an Heirloom that gives a Villager, and playing both Anvil and Tool in the same turn lets you trash a card.

Also, in light of Canal, I'm going to take down Drawbridge. And for Hideout, trying to find a good name, maybe Den, or Hideaway? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:06:37 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2018, 04:44:10 pm »
+1

I like Anvil/Tools, especially Tools; it seems like it is one of the stronger Heirlooms, but is balanced since you only have one (barring Treasurer shenanigans). Anvil should say Tools.

And for Hideout, trying to find a good name, maybe Den, or Hideaway? Thoughts?

I prefer Hideaway; lots of people colloquially refer to Den of Sin as Den. Or you could consider something like Lair or Sanctum.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2018, 08:22:55 am »
+1

I like Anvil/Tools, especially Tools; it seems like it is one of the stronger Heirlooms, but is balanced since you only have one (barring Treasurer shenanigans). Anvil should say Tools.

I prefer Hideaway; lots of people colloquially refer to Den of Sin as Den. Or you could consider something like Lair or Sanctum.
Actually I meant to have Tools be Tool, thanks for reminding me. I've decided to use Hideaway for now.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2018, 11:18:52 am »
+1

Actually I meant to have Tools be Tool, thanks for reminding me. I've decided to use Hideaway for now.

I agree. There is only one tool ever worth using and that's Ducktape.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2018, 01:59:06 pm »
+3

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2018, 03:25:42 pm »

Been almost a week since I added anything, here's Anvil/Tools 2.0. Now Tool is an Heirloom that gives a Villager, and playing both Anvil and Tool in the same turn lets you trash a card.

Also, in light of Canal, I'm going to take down Drawbridge. And for Hideout, trying to find a good name, maybe Den, or Hideaway? Thoughts?
I like this except for the Villager-cantrip part. Sure, it is a nice buff that can be situationally useful and it is not a big thing to play the card and say that you immediately spend the Villager to keep play smooth but it feels nonetheless a bit weird (in the same way +1 Card +1 Coin would feel weird because there is no terminal that draws only one card).

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2018, 07:28:19 pm »

Fairy grove is interesting. I’ve played boons online and there have been times. Where I’m like man I wish I had gotten that boon. I know sacred grove let’s you receive it too. But fairy grove also let’s you skip a boon if you don’t want it.

Craft men’s village is basically like farming village, except stronger. Same cost too. With farming village you could still end up getting a copper. With craftsmen village you only get the good stuff. And with a possibility of gaining a silver or ect.

Field is nice. Gives you a benefit if you have to discard a good card. Gives you a benefit if your the first one to trash it. Trashing it gives you a benefit. And if your the last one to trash this card, you could end up with the most victory tokens perhaps.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:32:11 pm by ClouduHieh »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2018, 09:16:19 pm »

Fairy grove is interesting. I’ve played boons online and there have been times. Where I’m like man I wish I had gotten that boon. I know sacred grove let’s you receive it too. But fairy grove also let’s you skip a boon if you don’t want it.

Craft men’s village is basically like farming village, except stronger. Same cost too. With farming village you could still end up getting a copper. With craftsmen village you only get the good stuff. And with a possibility of gaining a silver or ect.

Field is nice. Gives you a benefit if you have to discard a good card. Gives you a benefit if your the first one to trash it. Trashing it gives you a benefit. And if your the last one to trash this card, you could end up with the most victory tokens perhaps.
Thanks for the comments. I forgot about Farming Village when making Craftsmen Village. I'll have to think about how to change it.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2018, 10:35:22 am »

Well, it's been quite a while since I've added anything here. Here's one idea I've been working on. I've been trying to come up with another Knight-style pile. I wanted to make two different main cards: an Attack and a Reaction, five of each in the pile. Here's what I have for the attack: Each other player discards down to three cards in hand. If any player didn't, +1 Coffers. For my Reaction, When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this to choose one: Draw up to six cards in hand, or be unaffected by it. I don't quite know how that will work. Ideally I would want it to be that if you have two of these in your hand you reveal one to be unaffected, then another to draw up to six. Tracking is not really an issue since they will all be different. As far as the extra bonuses, I will use most of the Knights, but not Vander, Josephine, Martin, and Micheal. Here are my ideas to use instead: +1 Buy +1 Coffers; you may discard a card for +2 Villagers, Receive the next Boon; Each other player receives the next Hex. I don't think it really matters which things are attacks or reactions. As far as name/theme, I was going to make the Attacks have the Weapon type, and be Sword, Longbow, Lance, Mace, and Flail. The reactions would then be Armor, being Shield, Helmet, Breastplate, Gauntlets, and Chain Mail. Since there are ten different cards to make, I thought I would get some feedback before making mockups.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2018, 02:19:50 pm »

Well, it's been quite a while since I've added anything here. Here's one idea I've been working on. I've been trying to come up with another Knight-style pile. I wanted to make two different main cards: an Attack and a Reaction, five of each in the pile. Here's what I have for the attack: Each other player discards down to three cards in hand. If any player didn't, +1 Coffers. For my Reaction, When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this to choose one: Draw up to six cards in hand, or be unaffected by it. I don't quite know how that will work. Ideally I would want it to be that if you have two of these in your hand you reveal one to be unaffected, then another to draw up to six. Tracking is not really an issue since they will all be different. As far as the extra bonuses, I will use most of the Knights, but not Vander, Josephine, Martin, and Micheal. Here are my ideas to use instead: +1 Buy +1 Coffers; you may discard a card for +2 Villagers, Receive the next Boon; Each other player receives the next Hex. I don't think it really matters which things are attacks or reactions. As far as name/theme, I was going to make the Attacks have the Weapon type, and be Sword, Longbow, Lance, Mace, and Flail. The reactions would then be Armor, being Shield, Helmet, Breastplate, Gauntlets, and Chain Mail. Since there are ten different cards to make, I thought I would get some feedback before making mockups.

In order to get only one of the two Reactions I think you'd have to make it a discard instead of a reveal. Otherwise, you could always reveal for both options. I get what game play you're trying to introduce, but unfortunately I don't think it can work with how Reaction cards work. I think your only chance would be to put in some text that explicitly overrides the general game rules for Reactions, but that could get wordy.

As for the style I like kit a lot, but I worry how this will actually execute in a game. The Attacks and Reactions being mixed together might work, but it seems a bit wonky to me. Knights are an Attack and in a way a Reaction itself to the Attack so it kind of works in a way. The random distribution of this might mean you end up with all Reactions on the top and then it just seems like a dead pile. Even if they are distributed evenly, the Attacks and Reactions kind of just cancel each other so players will just be left with subpar on-play effects.

I really like the overall flavor of this I just wonder if there is a better way to execute it other than mimicking what the Knights pile does. Maybe having a non-Supply pile for all the Weapons and Armor then having a pile of 10 same named cards that give you a choice of performing some kind of Attack or gaining a weapon from the Weapon pile or Armor from the Armor pile. Personally I'd do away with the Armor and just make some of the Weapon cards also have a Reaction component. Some real life weapons have more defensive capabilities anyways. Either way this would remove the randomness of the pile.

Cool idea though! I just recommend steering away from having all the Attacks and Reactions mixed together randomly.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2018, 03:38:26 pm »
+1

Like Kudasai I like the general idea of a Knights-like pile and I think that it is thematically pretty cool.

But I think that the Reaction is too good. With the discard attack you will always choose the Moat option and if there is some other Attack in the Kingdom you can choose the Horse Traders-ish option. Note that the way it is currently designed you could also reveal the same card for both options; there is no way for the opponent to check how many Reactions you have in your hand.

So my suggestion is to fix this Reaction accountability issue and nerf the Reactions via setting it aside, like with Horse Traders.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2019, 01:01:12 pm »

Click to enlargen, or scroll downward.
Kingdom Cards:

Split Pile:

Extra Cards:

Other Card-Shaped Things:

Plot

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2019, 01:02:04 pm »
+1

Didn't mean to post that, I'm planning to finish reformatting and start a new thread.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2019, 01:19:17 pm »

is medallion an heirloom or a supply card?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2019, 03:09:06 pm »

That's one thing I was fixing. Here's my new thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19839.msg807911#msg807911
Medallion is its own thing, Marsh should say Compass for its heirloom.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 20 queries.