Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53  All

Author Topic: M119: Towny Mafia (Game Over!)  (Read 140733 times)

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
    • View Profile
Re: M119: Towny Mafia (D2!)
« Reply #675 on: November 09, 2018, 02:56:34 pm »

Actually, vote: WCD.
The unvote on EFHW looks like she was looking for an excuse, any excuse, to get off the EFHW wagon. Like DatSwan said about the end of day 1.

This is a pretty nonsensical reason for a WCD vote. If she so desperately needed a reason to unvote from EFHW's four-person wagon at #636, why was she the one who put it to four people just a short while earlier at #615 anyway?

The kind of vote-hopping you're looking to find is more likely to happen when someone joins a wagon in an early position, but then gets cold feet (or worried about their bus!) when other people make the wagon bigger later on.

16 hours (overnight) seems like it might be long enough for feet to cool down.
But really, my main feeling was just that the reason for unvoting seemed strange. A previous shared distrust of a player (faust), who we now know to be town.
Having said that, a readiness to unvote is something I do recall of WCD's behaviour in NM13, so... I don't know.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 09, 2018, 04:20:42 pm »

I wish people would stop evaluating Joseph. We are not lynching Joseph. We should not lynch Joseph.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 09, 2018, 05:29:57 pm »

I wish people would stop evaluating Joseph. We are not lynching Joseph. We should not lynch Joseph.
I think at least some of the people doing it are doing so as a diversionary tactic.
Let's discuss lynching someone who won't get lynched, instead of doing anything useful
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 09, 2018, 05:41:12 pm »

I think at least some of the people doing it are doing so as a diversionary tactic.
Let's discuss lynching someone who won't get lynched, instead of doing anything useful

I also think so.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 09, 2018, 06:03:24 pm »

In that case, I'm pretty set on WCD. Would not lynch Space, fang. I wish that was a longer list. Add DatSwan. Anyone else I'm open to persuasion. I promised a hypercube reread, so I'll get on that.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 09, 2018, 06:08:57 pm »

bah.  I promised to do a reread and case on Dylan but I have yet to do it. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 09, 2018, 06:24:43 pm »

In that case, I'm pretty set on WCD. Would not lynch Space, fang. I wish that was a longer list. Add DatSwan. Anyone else I'm open to persuasion. I promised a hypercube reread, so I'll get on that.

I would lynch space and fang!

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 09, 2018, 06:26:05 pm »

I also would not lynch Space or fang. I'm interested to hear E's Dylan case.
I have sigs off.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 09, 2018, 06:56:24 pm »

Ic “would lynches” are the least helpful thing you could do...literally worse than not saying anything
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 09, 2018, 08:42:40 pm »

Ic “would lynches” are the least helpful thing you could do...literally worse than not saying anything

You and I have different philosophies about this.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 09, 2018, 08:51:40 pm »

I’m also interested in Dylan and Swan cases.

It’s frustrating to me that there are a handful of people who are regularly engaged and then this other group of people who contribute very little and/or infrequently. I feel like we are scrutinizing one another because there is text to work with while the mostly absent people fly under the radar. A quarter of the remaining pkayers are scum. They could all be the less active people and just let us chew up one another, right?  I don’t have any solutions or fully formed thoughts, but I’m frustrated.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 09, 2018, 09:00:40 pm »

3 beers in, grabbing the 4th.  building the case now.  Its gonna be good.  Better than my atrocious dominion play over the last 2 hours.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 09, 2018, 09:03:47 pm »

16 hours (overnight) seems like it might be long enough for feet to cool down.
But really, my main feeling was just that the reason for unvoting seemed strange. A previous shared distrust of a player (faust), who we now know to be town.
Having said that, a readiness to unvote is something I do recall of WCD's behaviour in NM13, so... I don't know.

So, I think you’re asking why I unvote and you’ve noticed I do it. Well, it’s because I get nervous about my reads when I start reading other people’s cases. I find EFHW scummy, but I don’t quite know why and I don’t like having a vote based on my vague sense and I worry that it has more to do with personality than shadiness. In other words, I unvote because I’m squirrelly and want to have quality contributions. Not scummy, just uncertain. It bothers me that she keeps voting for me (which she notes) because I don’t get it so I’m just trying to make sure I’m not being omgus even though OMGUS! .

There is a 1 in 4 chance she is scum. But that is true of everyone. Well, I guess there is a somewhat better than that chance that she (and everyone else) is scum since I know I’m not. At this point I think the people not contributing are more problematic than the people who are, and she has that going for her.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 09, 2018, 09:05:11 pm »

3 beers in, grabbing the 4th.  building the case now.  Its gonna be good.  Better than my atrocious dominion play over the last 2 hours.

Hey, me too! Except bourbon and not building any cases.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 09, 2018, 09:12:04 pm »

I drove in pouring rain the whole day so my wife can run the Richmond marathon tomorrow while I try not to lose either one of the 2 or 4 year olds in the teeming throngs of people tomorrow and then drive back. Should be around Sunday though.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: November 09, 2018, 09:14:48 pm »

out of the gate, buddying up to the newer players, also with a random EFHW vote:
Hey everybody! Good to be back in a game for the first time in almost a year.

vote: EFHW

infang and WestCoast, nice to meet you guys (well, meet through this mostly anonymous, virtual world in which we find ourselves). If and only if the games are over, how did your first games here on f.ds go for you?

posts 3&4 (skipped 2, didn't see much in it:
Strong town read: Awaclus, e.
Normal town read: mcmc, faust, space
Normal scum read: EFHW, Robz (although I think I always tend to scumread him, I'll reread him after this post).

Everyone else is either null or just pretty neutral.
lolz, Robz has like 2 posts. Yeah, my default is just to scumread Robz. Move him to null.

Very meta aware.  Awaclus and I get strong town reads, which is interesting to me since those are town reads that I have as well.  Then mcmc, faust, and space get town, EFHW (why????) and Robz (because meta) get scum reads.

and....screw it.  I think dylan is town now.  His posts feel very much more in line with "me against the world" than "me and my team trying to nail down townies as lynches"

like this post:
Post 198 from fang reminds me of something I did in (I think) NM9, when as scum I pointed out some flawed reasoning a guy was using to townread me, and basically told him not to give me town points for that. You don't see many people (especially town) actively turn away town points unless doing so has even more pro-town benefits than having someone reading you as town correctly, even though the reasons are wrong. So this seems like a very new scum post.  Combined with his voting pattern at EoD and the recent stuff, I'm very happy leaving my vote on infangthief for a while, preferably until he's on guillotine.

and this post:
Vote: Dylan for putting me on his scum list and then reconsidering.

Robz, I don't necessarily remember how my gut used to read everyone here that I've played with, but I definitely remember having to fight against gut reading you as scum.  When I posted that list, my gut said you were scum, but then as I typed it, I remembered the aforementioned fact and decided to see if there was anything specific that I saw that justified that read. I decided to hit post and then check rather than checking so I could edit my post to make sure it was just right.

and even a little bit of this post:
E also seems to be trying to stay in the background. I think most of the people who have been doing a lot of talking (pps, EFHW, infang) have been doing so from a towny perspective.

It feels like we are playing with like 7 people instead of 14. There are definitely some folks who’ve had very little interaction. They respond to a prod and then disappear again. E, robz, mcmc, Joseph, Dylan, Swan, and Space all seem to me to be on the fringes, perhaps allowing us to just pick on one another.
Upon cursory investigation, at least 2 of those actually have more posts than you...

My list might well have some inaccuracies (I'm on my phone so limited searching ability) but my question is, is my impression correct? Does it feel like everyone is playing? More to the point, is that normal?

My whole purpose in continuing to play a game that I am not very good at is to learn how to do it better. It seems like being around infrequently and/or randomly would be better for scum. Is that right?

Responding specifically to italics: This just depends on the person. Some people are very good at being very active, controlling the discussion, and actively manipulating town as scum, while others do what you are suggesting and try to blend into the background and only post the bare minimum. I tend to operate under the assumption that most people's activity level is a result of irl business and so I don't look at activity level as being a worthwhile starting point for a case. A point in a more comprehensive case, sure, but not the primary one, outside of extreme cases.

I'll be back on later this evening with a lot more free time to reread the last few pages.

although that last one is more of just big concept theory

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 09, 2018, 09:16:37 pm »

who should I do next? 

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 09, 2018, 09:18:06 pm »

I should also

unvote

I will vote again before the night is through

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 09, 2018, 09:20:09 pm »

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 09, 2018, 09:20:36 pm »

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 09, 2018, 09:21:09 pm »

I drove in pouring rain the whole day so my wife can run the Richmond marathon tomorrow while I try not to lose either one of the 2 or 4 year olds in the teeming throngs of people tomorrow and then drive back. Should be around Sunday though.

Go family! That’s awesome. Good luck to her, and to you. Not losing the kids is key.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: M119: Towny Mafia (D1!)
« Reply #698 on: November 09, 2018, 09:37:47 pm »

calls out pps for a vote she doesn't think pps should have:

Maybe I'll try being a bit more direct. Pingpongsam, why does Space seem town to you this time?

Gut read only. Mainly, I always think Space is scum and I’m not getting that feel this time. Space is usually way more analytical and buddying with people. They seem pretty much like uninformed town right now though.
In between your town read post and fang's question,  Space has a bunch of fluffy posts, nothing serious.  Your explanation doesn't fit her play.

vote: pps

doubles down on pps in the next couple posts here and here.  (I really like how she is doing this)

and more defense of the pps vote

and more

and trying to get other people (mcmc particularly) to talk about pps

then kind of takes offense (?? not sure if that is the best word - actual wording is "I am not comfortable with this post") at how WCD perceives her case, which is enough to move her vote to WCD in the next post seeing that PPS is gaining no traction.

jumps on Robz' "lets quick lynch somebody" comment and joins the lynch

jumps around at the end of D1 a bunch of times, then immediately begins D2 voting WCD. 

I dont even have to read D2.  EFHW is town, I will not vote her this game.  period.  Maybe if she claims scum.  The way she jumped on PPS early, then moved to WCD, then tried to help out for a lynch jumping around.  Everything just feels so much town.  so much town.

I am interested in PPS now though because of her early case on him.  maybe I will do PPS next.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 09, 2018, 09:41:10 pm »

and I just read through EFHW D2 and it is nothing but townie.  How are people even voting her????  It makes no sense
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.