Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 53  All

Author Topic: M119: Towny Mafia (Game Over!)  (Read 141888 times)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
Re: M119: Towny Mafia (D1!)
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2018, 04:28:57 am »

Mod: Can we have sample role PMs?
So we can be sure of the other team's win conditions

In the first post there is a link to the setup that has all the samples. The only thing changed is i added the flavor names into them all.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2018, 04:36:08 am »

I'm 'he', I'm in UK, 4 hours ahead of forum time.

Wait, which UK are you in? I'm in the one that's 5 hours ahead of forum time, at least for today...

I use they/them as a pronoun by preference :-)

Nice to meet you!
Sounds like we're in the same one. My UK is 5 hours ahead at the moment, but 4 hours ahead from tomorrow (Sunday) onwards. Seemed simplest to just say that.

Though an alternative UK sounds nice. I'd consider emigrating.

Nice to meet you too.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2018, 04:39:51 am »

Also, vote: Joseph because the SK joke was never all that funny to begin with.

Why is nobody else voting yet? I'm all for pulling ourselves out of RVS and into rational discussion quickly, but OTOH, it's nice to have early voting patterns to analyse in the late game.
Hmm, if not-funny jokes are scummy then I may be in trouble...

Yeh, this game got into lots of set-up discussion without any random votes. Seems like faust set the bar quite high in his opening post. Vote: faust

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2018, 05:38:27 am »

In the first post there is a link to the setup that has all the samples. The only thing changed is i added the flavor names into them all.

I followed that link a couple of weeks ago, but there was something I still wasn't clear about.
- town win condition is to have 2 scum dead and 1 scum on guillotine.
- scum win condition is to have at least as many scum alive as town (and on guillotine counts as alive).
So what happens if there are 3 players remaining: 1 scum who is not voting, 1 vig who is voting for the scum player, 1 VT on guillotine.
Now if the vig shoots, then the scum player immediately goes on the guillotine and both win conditions are met simultaneously. What happens?

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2018, 05:46:39 am »

Faust, why do you like day 1 so much?
Because I'm alive on D1!

But seriously, that's not all. D1 is your purest form of social deduction. You have to figure out who's scum just by tone and without no concrete info. It's a special kind of challenge and it is just super satisfying to nail down a scum on the first Day.

I have a suggestion, and I might in fact be semi-serious about this.
I understand you have a track record of being killed first night. So how about we lynch you day 1? The set-up says the on-guillotine player cannot be night-killed. So if we lynch you day 1 then that guarantees that we benefit from your insight for day 1 AND day 2.

You'd be ok with that wouldn't you...?

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2018, 06:04:54 am »

What are the interesting wrinkles?

The delayed lynch kills, of course.
I meant the wrinkles to your playstyle that you mentioned.  The question was about your comment on your playstyle, not the setup.

I'm all about claiming for effect. Also, I'm strongly inclined to use flips to reassess my reads. Having them delayed a full day into the game seems a handicap for me.

Hi Pingpongsam (do you play table tennis?),
I get how relying on flips is harder in this set-up.
How does claiming for effect work?
Also, anyone else want to give a brief summary of their playstyle. Helpful for one or two of us who are new here (on which note, hi WCD - why haven't you said anything yet?!)

For me, I'm obviously still discovering my playstyle, but I seem to do a lot of direct questioning. I'd prefer to be able to facilitate multi-player discussions, but that seems harder.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2018, 07:12:24 am »

Faust, why do you like day 1 so much?
Because I'm alive on D1!

But seriously, that's not all. D1 is your purest form of social deduction. You have to figure out who's scum just by tone and without no concrete info. It's a special kind of challenge and it is just super satisfying to nail down a scum on the first Day.

I understand you have a track record of being killed first night. So how about we lynch you day 1? The set-up says the on-guillotine player cannot be night-killed. So if we lynch you day 1 then that guarantees that we benefit from your insight for day 1 AND day 2.

So you suggest the town should do scum's work for them...?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2018, 07:14:03 am »

Anyway, infang, what do you make of Joseph so far?

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2018, 07:29:23 am »

A note should be made on claims and this mechanic: Fakeclaims become viable earlier.

Partly just being a pedant, but why is this important (for town...) to note this here, right now, rather than later?
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2018, 07:38:23 am »

thanks

so the scum win condition is "You win when there are as many or more living Mafia as there are living non-Mafia or if nothing can prevent the same. (Someone on guillotine is still alive.)"
So on guillotine counts as alive for town, but effectively as dead for scum (if there's only 1 left)
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2018, 07:42:46 am »

Wait ignore this, I figure it out.

If the last scum is on the guillotine, then no scum can NK and the next person to die will be that scum anyway. Which is why it all makes sense :)
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2018, 07:45:20 am »

A note should be made on claims and this mechanic: Fakeclaims become viable earlier.

Partly just being a pedant, but why is this important (for town...) to note this here, right now, rather than later?
Because I'll be dead later and I've learned that I cannot rely on other people to point out such things.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2018, 07:49:59 am »

Sounds like we're in the same one. My UK is 5 hours ahead at the moment, but 4 hours ahead from tomorrow (Sunday) onwards. Seemed simplest to just say that.

It doesn't stay at a 4-hour gap for long before forum time changes its clocks to match, though. Possibly 1 calendar week?

I do think it helps to have timezones be considered when thinking about people's play around deadlines. Sometimes I worry about being scumread based on not being active at the deadline if I'm the only player in an EU timezone and it's night for us. We've got faust (Germany) and Awaclus (Finland) here, plus Joseph as another brit, so we're not badly off for now. And of course our mod is in Russia, but as far as I can tell, he needs virtually no sleep and is all-seeing at almost any time of day :-P

Though an alternative UK sounds nice. I'd consider emigrating.

I love my nice little over-educated left-wing bubbles of this UK. Can we detach a few of them and remain in the EU? :-)
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2018, 08:01:29 am »

This is just a super bad idea. We should lynch faust iff we think he's scum.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2018, 09:54:07 am »

Hi again!

Slightly busy weekend with a 10k race I just finished this morning, I will be able to comment on stuff and things probably later today or tomorrow
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2018, 10:01:54 am »

Hi everyone!

Sorry for getting here late....life and stuff. But definitely not a 10k race of any sort. Anyway, like most, I’ll be more regularly present after the weekend.

Hi, Thief! It’s so good to see you again. I’m glad you’re playing! Like Thief, I’m newish (3 games). I think I’ve played with about half of you now. Unlike Thief, I’m in Texas and a she. And my jokes are always pretty bad.

Yeah, the US goes back to Standard time next weekend, so the 4 hour difference would be short lived. But the alterna UK that stays in the EU sounds like a smashing idea.

I’m 100% not down with lynching Faust to keep him around longer, unless it’s he thinks it’s a good idea.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2018, 10:20:31 am »

I’m 100% not down with lynching Faust to keep him around longer, unless it’s he thinks it’s a good idea.
Why would me thinking that that's a good idea change your mind?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2018, 10:42:48 am »

Oh, this game started! I am VLA this weekend, attending a wedding.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2018, 10:57:14 am »

Well, if you are certain enough that you will be killed on the first night that you’d volunteer to be lynched on day one to be around for day two, I’d defer to your judgement. But doing it to you, without your consent, for the explicit purpose of making sure you’d be around day 2 rubs me the wrong way.

The idea seems to hinge on the degree of certainty that you’d be killed in the first night, and you’d know far better than me the likelihood of that happening.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2018, 11:53:05 am »

Well, if you are certain enough that you will be killed on the first night that you’d volunteer to be lynched on day one to be around for day two, I’d defer to your judgement. But doing it to you, without your consent, for the explicit purpose of making sure you’d be around day 2 rubs me the wrong way.

The idea seems to hinge on the degree of certainty that you’d be killed in the first night, and you’d know far better than me the likelihood of that happening.
The more sure we are that scum kills me N1, the worse it is to lynch me today - not the other way around.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2018, 12:23:14 pm »

The more sure we are that scum kills me N1, the worse it is to lynch me today - not the other way around.

Not being deliberately dense, I swear...can you explain that for me?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2018, 12:28:50 pm »

Not being deliberately dense, I swear...can you explain that for me?

Ideally, we want to lynch someone who's scum. Less ideally, we'll lynch a very suspicious townie that scum doesn't want to kill. Even less ideally, we'll lynch any vanilla townie who's pretty towny. The worst case scenario is that we lynch a town PR.

The priorities for scum NK are that, but in the exact opposite order. Therefore the more scum wants to kill someone, the less we want to lynch them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2018, 01:53:55 pm »

The main problem with the plan is that scum hunting will be ruined for today.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2018, 01:55:37 pm »

Oh, this game started! I am VLA this weekend, attending a wedding.
vote: Robz

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2018, 02:54:19 pm »

The only person I am sure is town at this point is Joseph. Anyone else who is town should know why without explanation. This talk about lynching Faust is crazy talk even for someone as crazy as me. To scummy to be scum? Maybe, who knows.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 53  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 20 queries.