Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Triggered Effects That Triggered While Other Triggered Effects Were Pending  (Read 1781 times)

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
+4

I'm sure this has been answered at some point years ago, but... what happens here?

Buy Sewers.  Use Chapel to simultaneously trash a Catacombs and an Estate.  You now have 3 pending triggered effects: Catacombs, Sewers, Sewers. Decide to order a Sewers effect first.  Use it to trash a Rats.  This produces another pending triggered effect.

Which is true at this point?

A) You may order the Rats, Catacombs, and Sewers effects any way you like.

B) You must resolve Rats' effect immediately after the instruction that triggered it, so you cannot resolve the Catacombs or Sewers effects until after that.

C) You must resolve the first set of effects (Catacombs and Sewers) before you can resolve the new one from Rats. (In which case there would have to be some follow up questions to about what that actually means.)

D) Other.

In other words, and more generally, is there only one set of pending triggered effects at any given time, or can there be multiple sets, which have to be handled in a certain order themselves?

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
+1

I believe that I recall reading a discussion about this before.  I think the answer was that there is just one group of things waiting to happen, so one gets to select any item from the group, irrespective of when it was added to the group.  The other thing I believe is that I think my memory is not as reliable as it once was, so perhaps the first two sentences need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
+1

I believe that I recall reading a discussion about this before.  I think the answer was that there is just one group of things waiting to happen, so one gets to select any item from the group, irrespective of when it was added to the group.  The other thing I believe is that I think my memory is not as reliable as it once was, so perhaps the first two sentences need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

But the Rats effect isn't being added to the "when Chapel trashed cards" group, because Rats wasn't triggered by Chapel.

My hunch here is that there is a stack of sorts - the Rats trigger has to resolve first because it is part of resolving the Sewer trigger from before, which you have not yet completed.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
+7

B) You must resolve Rats' effect immediately after the instruction that triggered it, so you cannot resolve the Catacombs or Sewers effects until after that.

In other words, and more generally, is there only one set of pending triggered effects at any given time, or can there be multiple sets, which have to be handled in a certain order themselves?
It's B. You are at the window of time for resolving when-trashed abilities for the cards you trashed to Chapel. But then Rats shows up with a new window of time, resolving when-trashed abilities for trashing Rats. You handle that first and then resume resolving the "when-trashed for Chapel" stuff.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile

It's B. You are at the window of time for resolving when-trashed abilities for the cards you trashed to Chapel. But then Rats shows up with a new window of time, resolving when-trashed abilities for trashing Rats. You handle that first and then resume resolving the "when-trashed for Chapel" stuff.

Thanks! I was hoping it was that one. So it sounds like Chris is me is correct regarding a stack.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
+3

I'm triggered by this thread.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
+2

I'm triggered by this thread.
You're just trigger-happy.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
+1

I find it helps to think of them as nested in the action that caused it, similar to the way the log on ShIT displays them. On-trash abilities are nested in the moment where they are trashed. So with your example:

Play Chapel, trashing Catacombs and Estate.
     Sewer on-trash ability, trashing rats.
          Rats on-trash ability, getting +1 card.
     Other on-trash abilities as a result of Chapel
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 20 queries.