Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ununtrashable Cards: The Complete List  (Read 5888 times)

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
Ununtrashable Cards: The Complete List
« on: September 30, 2018, 12:00:30 pm »
+16

Few things in Dominion are irreversible these days. People have even figured out ways to put split piles back in arbitrary orders!

However, one element of Dominion has always had more of a sense of finality to it: the trash. Once something is trashed, it's gone forever, right? That's at least how we explain the game to our friends -- discarding means you'll see it again, trash means you won't.

Of course, that's changed over the expansions, starting with Dark Ages. (Technically, Thief / Noble Brigand took treasures they stole out of the trash, but since they were only in the trash for a brief moment in the midst of resolving the card, we won't count that. I also won't count Fortress for the same reason.) Dark Ages introduced us to Graverobber and Rogue, which can all take cards of a specific price range ($3-$6) out of the trash. Of course, which cost reduction like Bridge and Highway, this meant that any cards costing $3-$11 (i.e. $3+ with no potions) could be retrieved from the trash.

Lurker provided the next big jump up: Now any action cards could be taken from the trash, including cheap ones (e.g. Ruins) and potion-cost ones.

And now finally, Treasurer has given us a way to get any Treasure out of the trash. Of course, this is the biggest deal for heirlooms like Magic Lamp and Haunted Mirror, which no longer are just single-use. But it's also now the first time we can take Coppers out of the trash!

This leaves us with only a small number of cards that cannot be taken out of the trash once they make it there. Here they are:

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: Ununtrashable Cards: The Complete List
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 01:45:17 pm »
+4

Of course, which cost reduction like Bridge and Highway, this meant that any cards costing $3-$11 (i.e. $3+ with no potions) could be retrieved from the trash.

It would be possible to retrieve cards costing much more than $11 from trash if they existed.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:31:20 pm »
+1

I remain surprised there's never been a cost increaser in Dominion. I mean, as an attack that stacked it would clearly suck majorly, but that's not the only thing which could be done with such a mechanic.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 04:35:44 pm »

I remain surprised there's never been a cost increaser in Dominion. I mean, as an attack that stacked it would clearly suck majorly, but that's not the only thing which could be done with such a mechanic.
Another problem beyond stacking is also wording. It would have to be a Duration that is off during your turns and on during the opponents turns. That could be confusing.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 04:40:00 pm »
+5

I think this idea has been tried in testing, but has ultimately ended up as a variant on cost-increase such as Cutpurse or Bridge Troll.

(Source: secret history of Bridge troll)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 04:42:31 pm »

Haunted Woods and Swamp Hag demonstrate that's possible. Clunky, but possible.

I can think of other options, but this isn't the variants subforum.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 06:14:16 pm »

There's another big problem with cost increasers besides the stacking: Their effects would cancel out cost decreasers exactly, so if both types are on the board it would turn into an arms race that would ultimately go nowhere. I can't imagine that being very fun.

Bridge Troll's non-stacking -1 coin was the right way to do this. You could maybe do a non-stacking +1 cost token, but this usually wouldn't be much different.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 07:52:34 pm »
+2

I think this idea has been tried in testing, but has ultimately ended up as a variant on cost-increase such as Cutpurse or Bridge Troll.

(Source: secret history of Bridge troll)
Correct, it's been tried multiple times. It's been given plenty of chances to somehow produce a fun working card.

Some of the issues - stacking, timing vs. cost reduction - can be solved, but the solutions take words, and you end up with something too complex. There's no special beauty to doing it that has pushed it into existence despite that.

Punishing buys is okay and there's some of that, e.g. Embargo. Contraband and Delusion try out limiting buys. And Peddler gives you the positive side, where a card costs more for your Remodels.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 08:42:43 am »

I just hope Donald X. resists the temptation to do a special kind of "super trash"/"banish" etc.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 08:57:14 am »

Also, cost increases are really hard to remember for the purposes of card interactions; even more than cost reductions.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 09:15:24 am »
+5

I just hope Donald X. resists the temptation to do a special kind of "super trash"/"banish" etc.

Island!
I have sigs off.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 10:38:10 am »
+10

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

buckets

• Scout
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 11:02:21 pm »

There's also a timing issue w/r/t cost reducers (which can't bring cost below zero).

If a card costs $1, and you play 2 bridges with an "anti-bridge" in effect, does the card cost $0 or $1? If the bridges resolve first, it costs $1, but if the anti-bridge resolves first then it costs $0.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 05:38:03 pm »

Wouldn't Guardian now be untrashable because of capitalism from Renaissance making it a treasure.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 05:39:24 pm »
+2

Wouldn't Guardian now be untrashable because of capitalism from Renaissance making it a treasure.

Capitalism only affects Actions. Guardian is a Night-Duration card.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.