Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Problem with the Sewer Priest interaction  (Read 3878 times)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
Problem with the Sewer Priest interaction
« on: September 29, 2018, 03:45:23 pm »

Noticed it in a game.  Just tried it again on sim and it's doing same thing.  (load game 18825460 to see it)

When you use the priest you get you card +2 but when you trash the next card via sewer you do not get the +2 coins.  Actually lost a game earlier b/c of this...  but no worries unrated anyway.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with the Sewer Priest interaction
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 03:51:23 pm »
+5

Noticed it in a game.  Just tried it again on sim and it's doing same thing.  (load game 18825460 to see it)

When you use the priest you get you card +2 but when you trash the next card via sewer you do not get the +2 coins.  Actually lost a game earlier b/c of this...  but no worries unrated anyway.

This is correct. Sewer's trash is triggered on the other trash, and the second effect hasn't yet occurred as it happens after the Priest trash resolves.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Sharur

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sharur
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 01:47:26 pm »
+1

This seems very unlikely to be resolved correctly when played in person, in that case (unless perhaps there's errata for it in the Renaissance rulebook).

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 03:51:18 pm »
+1

Why would there be an erratum if there's no wrong rule printed anywhere?

Sharur

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sharur
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 03:55:23 pm »
+2

Maybe errata is the wrong word, call it a clarification if you prefer. There have been clarifications printed on particular card interactions in the past.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 04:25:50 pm »

Maybe errata is the wrong word, call it a clarification if you prefer. There have been clarifications printed on particular card interactions in the past.

I think it was clear what you meant. The rulebooks often handle cases like this; we'll just have to wait and see if the Renaissance one does. It seems likely.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 11:38:05 am »

This is correct. Sewer's trash is triggered on the other trash, and the second effect hasn't yet occurred as it happens after the Priest trash resolves.

+$2
Trash a card from your hand. For the rest of this turn, when you trash a card, +$2.

When you trash a card other than with this, you may trash a card from your hand.

Huh?  This doesn't make sense to me.  Even above and as I read the card, the priest trash happens first, and is a prerequisite to the secnd trash from sewer.  At that point Priest has trashed a card. So for the rest of the turn, ie after the priest trash, why does the sewers trash not lead to +2 coins, as it comes after the first trash?

"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 11:49:14 am »
+2

When you play Priest (or, indeed, any card) you do what it says, step by step, completely resolving each step before proceeding to the next.

So:
  • You play Priest
    • You get 2 coin to spend
    • You trash a card
      • Because of Sewers, you may trash another card
    • For the rest of this turn, when you trash a card, +$2
...and the Sewers trashing happens before introduce the effect of +$2 whenever you trash something.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 07:14:55 pm »

interesting.  I always just resolved like below the line above the line.  I didn't know it stopped at every period.

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 07:43:27 pm »
+1

Loads of other interactions depend on the exact order on the card. For instance, you have to decide which cards to discard with Young Witch before opponents have to reveal whether they have the bane, or which cards to trash, if any, with Dame Anna, before seeing if she survives her attack.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 08:08:53 pm »
+1

For instance, you have to decide which cards to discard with Young Witch before opponents have to reveal whether they have the bane

Even weirder, if there is another reaction (say Horse Traders), than has to be revealed before you draw cards (and therefore before you discard).
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.