Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: it's kind of hard to make swashbuckler work  (Read 2930 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
it's kind of hard to make swashbuckler work
« on: September 29, 2018, 10:37:53 am »
+3

there's not any idea in this post that's not already in the title of this post.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: it's kind of hard to make swashbuckler work
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 10:53:36 am »
+8

It's a smithy variant, the other thing it does doesn't have to be consistently good.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 03:56:47 pm »
+1

It is hard assuming you only use swashbuckler as it's hard to consistently have a discard pile (especially if ur are drawing your whole deck as You need some kind of discarding card to engage it). And then you need to play it 4x to get the artifact.  Then you get your gold next turn and have to wait a reshuffle to even us it.

It does play nice with anything else that has coffers, as it greatly reduces the time to get it going.

If you have like butcher, villian, ducat, plaza, or CSM it could be a great BM payload building piece...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:59:29 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 05:25:25 pm »
+2

Treasure Chest is not something like Key or Flag that constantly changes ownership, once you have it chances are high that you will keep for several turns. Also, Swashbuckler would be OK even without the Artifact part. Sometimes you do have a discard pile, sometimes there is Silos, sometimes there are other sifters. Even if it only triggers one out of three or four times it is a decent Smithy+.
You also somethines want to play 2 or 3 Margraves per turn even though the second and third one are worse than Smithies.

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 02:24:35 pm »

If you can get a bunch of them with a reliable way to start turns with a discard pile, they can actually build up fairly well to a decent megaturn. Had a game with sentry + star chart, and was able to get a reasonably large deck with a bunch of villages, +buy, and swashbucklers (and golds from tc), and bought 6 provinces and a duchy on turn 14.

Certainly the payload isn't as amazing as a bridge megaturn, but it is nice that swashbuckler gives both draw and payload in one card if you're lucky enough to have a board where you can regularly have a discard pile.

guidobass

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: guidobass
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 02:39:03 pm »

there's not any idea in this post that's not already in the title of this post.

Dungeon, Villa, Swashbuckler. Any other discard/2 actions/no +cards card combo will also work.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:40:32 pm by guidobass »

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 12:23:40 am »

It is blindingly easy, but board specific to make this work.

The easiest option is to gain a card mid turn. Count, Iw, Wshop, Magpie ... basically anything that does not gain to hand or deck top will work. Yeah you have to play the gainer before you have <3 cards in deck ... but that is basically just an extra village to carry around and normally the right call if you are using gainers in general. Running double gainers (e.g. Iw + Count) basically assures that some of your Swashbucklers hit.

Slightly less easily you can discarders - attacks, Cellar, Inn ... again the only real challenge are drawing the enabler early enough and having enough villages for terminals.

Top decking also works great. Gain a Swashbuckler mid shuffle with Tracker, play and forget. Use Count/Scheme/Etc. to play it on a hand in the middle of the shuffle. Not so great, but fun when you can manage it is to top deck 8 cards with stuff like Haunted woods, Alchemist, Kc/Count, etc.

And if you just want the Chest, then any other coffer gainer works wonders.

Sure, 100% reliability is hard. But we are talking about coffers. Smithy with half a coffer is still a strong; Getting chest on a lot of boards is just utterly overpowering.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 07:32:38 am »

It gets better in kingdoms with no to bad trashing.

How well does Swashbuckler big money work?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 01:18:34 am »

It gets better in kingdoms with no to bad trashing.

How well does Swashbuckler big money work?
Probably mediocre. If you go for the Treasure Chest, that takes at best 10-11 turns, so you'll see those Golds you gain maybe once. Of course coin tokens are quite decent for BM since smoothing out is important, but I'm not sure it would be better than e.g. Catacombs.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.